TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

OK, I took a picture but the photobucket isn't letting me upload so I'll type it out for you.   :)

1 tbsp paprika

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tsp oregano

1/4 tsp basil

1/4 tsp parsley

1/8 tsp cayenne (up to a quarter tsp if you like it spicier)

1/2 cup each raw pecans and raw walnuts

a dozen or so boneless skinless chicken thighs

Put all ingredients into food processor, magic bullet or blender and whirl until it's a breadcrumb consistency and then pour it out onto a dinner plate.  Rinse and dry your chicken thighs.  Very, very dry! Wipe both sides of each thigh with a bit of homemade mayo and then dredge in the plate of seasoning (there is no actual "shaking" in this version of "shake n bake"). Bake in the oven at 435 for about 20-30ish minutes.  

If you do this with chicken breasts, pound them flat to about an inch or so.  For 2 flattened breasts, use 3/4 cups of nuts but same amount of spices. 

Let me know if you try it!   :)

Thank you--this looks awesome!!!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 24 for me. It doesn't seem difficult to do this at all but have been so hungry. Did post in the Troubleshooting and have increased my food in the form of an avocado smoothie: avo, silver beet and 1/4 banana yesterday but will try blueberries today. It was amazing how quickly the hunger disappeared, so clearly I needed it. Have increased my high carb at dinner as well so slept like an untroubled baby! I am going to split the smoothie one after breakfast and one before M3 and see if that does the trick.

Do you think I will get to the point (perhaps I am there) that food is my friend? Seems like a stretch but could be and perhaps wisdom is creeping in. :)

Lovely day here and I am heading for a swim again when the tide comes in. I have been in and out of water more times than I can count this past week. 21 degrees here (70degrees F) and it is only 0900. 

Hope you are all enjoying your weekends, snuggled in with cozy blankets and fires--sounds lovely.

Day 24 for me. It doesn't seem difficult to do this at all but have been so hungry. Did post in the Troubleshooting and have increased my food in the form of an avocado smoothie: avo, silver beet and 1/4 banana yesterday but will try blueberries today. It was amazing how quickly the hunger disappeared, so clearly I needed it. Have increased my high carb at dinner as well so slept like an untroubled baby! I am going to split the smoothie one after breakfast and one before M3 and see if that does the trick.

Do you think I will get to the point (perhaps I am there) that food is my friend? Seems like a stretch but could be and perhaps wisdom is creeping in. :)

Lovely day here and I am heading for a swim again when the tide comes in. I have been in and out of water more times than I can count this past week. 21 degrees here (70degrees F) and it is only 0900. 

Hope you are all enjoying your weekends, snuggled in with cozy blankets and fires--sounds lovely.

I would like to get to that point too, misslindy, where food is my friend. I think I am closer to that than I was. Time will tell. After spending Friday and most of today with my granddogs, I'm back home with my cat, my heated throw, and about to make myself a cup of coffee with coconut milk. Hopefully that will thaw the icebergs that are my feet!!!

Smoothies are not ideal.You would be a lot fuller eating the food from a dish. Being liquid they move from your stomach quickly.

I have only resorted to smoothies because I can't fit more food in during meals and it will add green veg. It is working and I am feeling a bit more energy and a lot less hunger!

I think we are all so different that we have to find what works for each of us. I wouldn't replace meals with smoothies, sadly these are in addition to meals. I am eating so much food these days I am amazed. Today I had 1/2 an avo, 1/2cup blueberries and silver beet blended with water and then went swimming and had lunch after. For the first time in a couple weeks I haven't been hungry all afternoon.  I may or may not need one after M3 today so that is fine. If I need it I will have it, if not won't.

I just realized how close we are to being done with this round of W30. I'm glad of that, but nervous as well. I've decided that I'm going to add a bit of dairy back in for the next stretch. A little half and half in my coffee, and a light sprinkle of cheese on some dishes will do nicely. My thinking is, it will add a ton of flavor with just a sprinkle (or dribble). I don't really miss beans (my first choice), as I have been making up for them with veggies like shredded cabbage, chopped cauliflower or carrots, etc. Most important is continuing to leave out the grains and (especially!!!) sugar. 

My other thoughts center around why I don't feel as good as I did after three weeks of my first W30 in September. Winter is definitely a factor, but is there something more? Tired, achy, crabby, no Tot blood to speak of, but I soldier on. I have come close to ditching this effort on a couple of occasions this month, but persevered. Still hoping for more...

Another quiet day today, no plans to go anywhere. That's pretty much standard winter fare for me. I have plenty of plans on the horizon, at least one thing to do each weekend for the next few weeks, so I can't be a complete hermit. Probably a good thing. But for today, I'm happy to hole up in my apartment. I may venture out for a walk if the sun makes an appearance, but ONLY if there's sun involved. Otherwise, I'll be puttering around here, trying to put things in order--a never-ending job!

OK, I took a picture but the photobucket isn't letting me upload so I'll type it out for you.   :)

Thanks for doing that, I do plan to try it sometime in February...you mentioned doing them up ahead for M1...does it reheat well or do you eat that cold?  I was thinking about doing some chicken breasts then slicing them as a salad topper which could go either way, just curious what your experience was.

Kind of surprised how early in the day it is...I'm done with my weekly cooking (except for the stew which is still...uh, stewing) and the weeks worth of laundry and the modest amount of tidying I planned.  I spent yesterday running around watching my nieces swim class and doing errands with my sister, so I'm looking forward to settling in for a long afternoon but thought I would check in.  We lucked out on missing the snow entirely this round and the forecast for next week is promising, some winter sunlight streaming in my south-facing windows has me feeling less glum for the moment.  I suspect a sucker punch coming yet, but as long as it's not on the horizon I can continue blithely ignoring the odds.  I admit I haven't taken my tree down yet, but that window will be setup with my glass conservatory once it has been and I want to fill it with some live plants this year while I have the good sun, once the trees leaf out again I will lose it but for now I may as well "make hay".  Also a convenient excuse to hit up the local greenhouse. 

Nothing much new this week except I am trying a recipe from a Paleo cookbook I picked up around Christmas for mashed parsnips with lime and ginger.  Somehow in my mind I felt that should be lime and chili so I skipped the fresh ginger and only gave it a dash of powdered then added chili spice.  I'm probably pairing that with simple grilled pork chops.  I had forgotten somehow that parsnips are so very much like carrot, so the fact that the recipe also called for a couple of carrots for color makes a bit more sense now.  I had hoped for something a bit more starchy, having envisioned using a bit of the extra to make a sort of potato pancake type thing for under eggs.  I'm going to play around with that idea some more, possibly adding some potato to the mix next time if the taste works out.  A different texture from the hash for a change. 

• Administrators

Thanks for doing that, I do plan to try it sometime in February...you mentioned doing them up ahead for M1...does it reheat well or do you eat that cold?  I was thinking about doing some chicken breasts then slicing them as a salad topper which could go either way, just curious what your experience was.

I've done both. Just had it cold for lunch but will slice and reheat in the frying pan tmw morning with some cooked yam and some green beans. :)

Crimsann, always love your cooking experiments and suggestions....quite inspiring. And I completely agree w you on how second or third or fourth whole 30s get harder into the month, since "you know you can do it"....so that part of the thrill is gone....which is why it is so important to me to do the reintro better this time....at least for those things I intend to reintro. It is a motivator for me to ride out the whole 30...and then some, as I carefully add in first legumes, and perhaps a bit of cheese later....or not....and maybe just a one day/one small glass of wine?? I dunno about the latter. Being sheltered in place for the last couple of days with the hubs and two dogs has really made me want a fire in the fireplace and a big glass of red....but I have resisted.

However, perhaps like Nancy, I have been snacking more...mostly on fabulous tangerines sent to me by a friend in Florida...but it is between meal eating nonetheless. Hope to reset the compass next week, so it is a stage for continuing into and THROUGH reintro into an eating plan I can sustain that also sustains me.

Cheers, everyone!!

I'm definitely feeling citrus-y too Merg, already playing around a bit with my February meal plans and I'm pretty sure some kind of pink grapefruit and shrimp salad is going in the mix.  I love the tart juicy fruit on a salad and can easily let that BE the "dressing", especially if I toss the greens with a few chopped fresh herbs for a flavor boost. 

I have to admit I had a couple of sad moments this weekend, this time of year last year I was in a domestic bliss of baking bread every weekend and getting together with my sister for some adventures in canning.  We started early with a Triple Citrus Marmelade before other fruits were even in season here.  While we were out shopping Saturday we ran into a huge display of the Cara Cara oranges the recipe called for that we had such a hard time finding last year and we both laughed.  But it reminded me what a joy that day had been, warm steamy scented kitchen on a dismal winter day, and all those pretty jars of jam.  Sigh...  The problem is, I miss the actions as much as the eating but I would never make/bake this stuff without eating some of it.  I suppose partially because I did W30 on and off for half of last year, I did only made it through one jar of the jam though maybe I should admit here I also got through a jar of the Strawberry and Vanilla Bean, lol!  Still, its shocking amounts of sugar and nothing like making the stuff to get hit in the face with that fact!  I know my "life after" is going to include some of this stuff, just not sure I'm at a place yet where I can do the balance I really want.   

I do think one personal rule that will help is, no eating it unless I made it.  If I want to add back a thick slice of yeasty bread with a smear of jam then I better be willing to put in the time to make it and maybe not do so every weekend.  I've toyed with this idea for awhile and I think it's a good starting place at least but not until I'm more firmly grounded in using other food groups as the body of a meal, it's far too easy for me to be content with that slice of bread in place of a meal!  As much as I can, and will, bake all kinds of things some people wouldn't even tackle...this plan means I will have to carve out the time required to do it and at the same time I'm perfectly aware of what is going in it.  The things that will be worth it to me, will be the things I've gotten the enjoyment out of making as much as the enjoyment out of eating.  No store-bought snack is going to live up to that.    

Maybe someday I will get the same soul deep satisfaction from steaming Brussels sprouts but....uh, I kind of doubt it.   

Maybe someday I will get the same soul deep satisfaction from steaming Brussels sprouts but....uh, I kind of doubt it.   

Oh boy, this cracked me up!!!! 

I kind of needed the laugh. On top of not really feeling the Tot love, I'm also battling a migraine today. Not the worst one I ever had, but it makes me wonder what this whole month has been about. <sigh> If I was anywhere near some home baked bread right now, I can't say for sure I wouldn't butter and eat every stinkin' crumb of it!

Nancy, dear....a whole LOAD of TOT LOVE coming your way!! I can see why the migraines are a total downer....working hard to keep the body balanced and happy, and here comes a migraine?? UNFAIR...

But believe in the sunlight in the other side....in the meantime, we are here, holding your hand, soothing your brow....

Crimsann, darn that jam sounds so good!! Homemad bread and butter and citrus jam....OH YUM.

Ok, fellow travelers, these things CAN be ours, as treats, if we build them on top of a big landscape of solid and healthy food choices...

I am going to bed. Worn out by all these fantasies....and I just downed some bone broth to help me sleep.

I just realized how close we are to being done with this round of W30. I'm glad of that, but nervous as well. I've decided that I'm going to add a bit of dairy back in for the next stretch. A little half and half in my coffee, and a light sprinkle of cheese on some dishes will do nicely. My thinking is, it will add a ton of flavor with just a sprinkle (or dribble). I don't really miss beans (my first choice), as I have been making up for them with veggies like shredded cabbage, chopped cauliflower or carrots, etc. Most important is continuing to leave out the grains and (especially!!!) sugar. 

My other thoughts center around why I don't feel as good as I did after three weeks of my first W30 in September. Winter is definitely a factor, but is there something more? Tired, achy, crabby, no Tot blood to speak of, but I soldier on. I have come close to ditching this effort on a couple of occasions this month, but persevered. Still hoping for more...

Another quiet day today, no plans to go anywhere. That's pretty much standard winter fare for me. I have plenty of plans on the horizon, at least one thing to do each weekend for the next few weeks, so I can't be a complete hermit. Probably a good thing. But for today, I'm happy to hole up in my apartment. I may venture out for a walk if the sun makes an appearance, but ONLY if there's sun involved. Otherwise, I'll be puttering around here, trying to put things in order--a never-ending job!

Nancy, this is me. I'm getting angry (not constructive but true) I still feel tired and swollen in hands and feet. My clothes aren't feeling better-if anything a little tighter. what gives? As far as I can tell, I've been completely compliant.

I do have a good NSV: I am finally sleeping better. 

Trying to have faith in the program but it's getting tough.

Eep!  First off, I apologize to anyone who suffered unnecessary cravings due to my last post!  I hadn't thought of it in terms of creating lustful images of currently forbidden foods when I was nattering away about it. 

If it helps, Karma bit my tush by sending me a vivid dream of waylaying some co-workers returning from a trip out for lunch and stealing one of their frozen chocolate coffee milkshake drinks and guzzling it down while running in circles to keep it out of their reach.  I woke up completely convinced I had ruined my Whole30 in a really childish and dramatic way, not to mention the shame of facing these co-workers...ROFL, what a nightmare!

To those of you struggling towards the end, let me just say a couple of things.  First, I don't think I've ever had a drop of Tiger blood...not even the kitten variety.  Maybe that won't come across as encouraging, but I think sometimes it's easy to read a "one size fits all" into the results and assume we will all be neatly following that timeline to success.  Especially when we hit a lot of the early markers right on schedule. 

When it comes to energy, what I've noticed about Whole30 is more subtle.  When I'm burning sugar, and I most certainly will/did/will again and nearly exclusively so when left to my own devices, my day falls into two categories; crazy insane energy with ideas racing faster than I can pin them down and I feel like I can get everything on my desk done in seconds followed by near catatonia where I can stare at the same line of email for five minutes with zero comprehension.  When I'm burning fat, this settles into a middle area where I somewhat slowly (compared to crazy energy moments) but steadily get things done all day long. 

At first, this really weirded me out.  I was used to the "brilliance" and the pulse pounding pace of doing half a day in 20 minutes and tossing off ideas like they always came to me with a finger snap...and when I settle into the slower pace I often feel a bit panicked that I have lost all my creativity and energy and am now moving like a turtle.

But step back a pace and think about what they say about the turtle.  :)  So at this point, I'm happy with my turtle blood.  It's not as glamorous as tiger blood, but I'm not an athlete and I don't get enough sleep.  Facts.  I don't think my body needs to be a tiger for what my lifestyle is right now and I don't think that level is going to be quickly attainable without some other lifestyle changes.  Maybe that's selling myself short, but I think when I'm honest with myself I do better work as a turtle and that's improvement enough for now.  I'm less likely to take on more than I can really handle and not losing hours to lethargy works out to accomplishing more than I realize.  I still sometimes miss the frenzy, but I know that isn't sustainable.  I'm still in my 30's, but I need to start looking at life as a marathon...not a dead out sprint.

Unfortunately I can't speak really directly to the aches and pains, but I do have another personal theory that when you are eating clean it switches from "it starts with food" to "it starts with sleep now"...maybe it's because it's something I don't get enough of, but I believe longer, deeper, restful sleep is so key.  But just like it takes 30 days or more for your body to cleanse itself and start to heal from bad food, it takes TIME for that better sleep to start to do it's thing.  And you are just now getting to the better sleep so it's only had days to start making a difference.  Not enough time.   

Worse news, and really feeling like a harbinger of doom here, I have a sneaky feeling that some of us in the colder climes or whose bodies are still tuned to that climate...and especially those who have done one or two of these before (and have already lost the "easy" weight) are going to find that the weight loss is slower this round.  I have already done the pants test and I know I'm doing better than December, but I won't be surprised to find this January I experience a much more modest drop.  It may be totally unscientific, but I don't think it's a logic stretch to assume bodies facing really cold temperatures would be more resistent to dropping pounds.  I have absolutely nothing to footnote that with. 

I had already planned a three-month stint, but even if I hadn't I think I would be fully committed at this point to finishing February at least before starting a reintro or post-Whole30 plan myself.  If you are still struggling with snacking or not content with how you feel right now, the worst thing you can do is start trying to do a reintro just because it's day 31.  Again, totally my opinion, but ask yourself really seriously what it is you are planning to add back that you think is going to make you feel better.  Not just feel better in the moment mind! 

Whenever I start to doubt the program, and I've had moments, I always take myself back to the shopping list.  It's what sold me the first time, and it's still what I lean on...this list, these foods, are what I want my diet to consist of.  This makes sense to me more than any of the rest of the promises or the science.  These things feel good to me.  Yes, I want to get to a place where I can vary it on occasion for variety, but until I've rewired my brain, my lifestyle, and my recipe collection to feature these things...I need to keep going.  I actually want to be on the program long enough to run out of ideas and have to push myself to search for more, try new things, fail and succeed until I have enough recipes and enough experience that my go-to foods are compliant and second nature.  This is why I personally will allow the looser rules for myself in February, I'm still keeping that shopping list I love, but stretching the edges to make a roomier fit.

I think the bottom line is, do you feel worse?  Still push for 30-days if for nothing else than to prove to yourself you can keep a commitment to health even when it's hard.  No turning back now, I want to be clear I'm not setting anyone up with an excuse for that.  Then if you can't say you feel worse, and you still want better, I think you have to take a hard look at sticking longer unless you can honestly say something off plan is going to contribute to you feeling better than you do right now.  I've already said I'm not the biggest believer in the science so I won't argue with you if you say there is, I just know that for me there are things I miss off plan...but I can't say there is anything I need and I've never felt worse for going longer than 30 days.  You also have to face up to that line "it STARTS with food", if I'm wanting perfect health and all that happy bliss...food isn't going to be where it ends.  What are the things that will be harder than a Whole30 food plan that you haven't wanted to tackle.  Exercise, drinking more water, and getting more sleep are the trifecta of pain for me.  It's a lot easier to cook a another compliant dinner than to take on everything I know needs to change.  I have many moments when I want to say, "but I've done this really hard thing, why can't that be enough?!", but I'm just kidding myself if I ever thought changing my diet alone was going to solve my life.   

I'm sorry I can't just "rah-rah-ray, tomorrow is a better day" on this with one of those fake cheerleader smiles plastered on my face, but I felt I would be doing more of a service by giving you the truth as I've experienced it for myself.  Lot's of people have had life-changing experiences and if you want to read through the success stories and let that fire you up it's probably a lot more exciting than my turtle blood story.  I just wanted to be one voice saying, it's worth it even for a little better life, and I do believe these foods can only help.   

As tempted as I was not to post this after saying all of it, wasn't I the one who pleaded for positive vibes, I think this post needs to end with:

Come on guys, it's going to be freaking fantastic you are fabulous never looked or felt better totally a bunch of tiger blooded Amazons  soooo good.

(because that sooo good is a real positive step towards great.)

Crimsann

I am so grateful you posted this: love the turtle blood and your comment about  'if I ever thought changing my diet alone was going to solve my life': I can relate to that statement so much. it is true for me as well.

I have been thinking about the the 'finish' line and of course for me it is only the beginning. I will be, at best 1/3 of the way there, then I will consider reintro. It is a long journey but it is a journey, not a destination.

Speaking with a friend this morning we were discussing how much less time shopping takes now. We only have supermarkets to shop so not speciality stores, but now I don't even have to go around the complete outside aisles: I do the fresh fruit and veg (quickly because normally I go to veg shops or roadside stalls), frozen foods, meat and fish counters and I'm out of there. Saving time and don't even look at anything else that is not on the plan. 

Now about me: I have noticed major shifts in my body so my shape is changing, am losing fat from around my middle but it seems to be going down--hope I don't end up with size 10 feet! 

My extreme hunger is much less these days although I woke up early this morning and ready to eat the pillow. I didn't have the extra smoothie before dinner last night and was so chuffed I felt full after M3. Silly, am going to have to do that for a few days and get caught up. Just a hitch in the journey :)

The weather has been so hot and humid lately and I am much more comfortable in cooler climes: my favourite is a bright crisp autumn day in North America! but here we are in the South Pacific and 32 degrees (80+) at bedtime! Never mind thanks to AIP I still manage to get restful sleep when I do fall asleep. So I am blessed.

Hope you are all doing well today and find something that will delight your heart for a moment. 

You guys are SO awesome! Now, I'm going to hit the showers and think about what good things have been the result of this very difficult, endless round of W30. And when I come back, I'm going to share those good things. XO

Gonna try to make a quick post.  Nancy - I hope you are feeling better soon.  It's easy for us to post the good stuff that's going on and then someone else reading it thinks that it's all good.  I've seen good changes but I'm also battling frequent headaches, poor digestion, and fluid retention.  I hope that you are seeing some NSV's.  I do think this second W30 was harder than the first - and we were warned about this!  

hsheffield - what is it with the swollen feet?!?  I am so tired of it.  I have even reduced my estrogen replacement in the hopes that it would improve.

Crimsann - there is so much good in your post - in all of your posts in fact.  Thank you so much for putting this into words.  And you are so right about the turtle blood!

Miss Lindy - you are so right - this is a journey - and it is longer than 30 days for all of us if we take this seriously with structured reintro's.  Congrats on the body shifts!  And I'm loving the quicker shopping trips too.  There is so much food (and I use that term loosely) in the stores now that I don't even look at!

I'm looking forward to Friday which is my 30th day - but not the finish line.  Just as we have supported each other during this phase we can support each other through reintro's.

Crimsann, thanks for so many great things to think about. It helps to step outside of ourselves for a minute and look at things from a different perspective. No, I don't have tiger blood. Not even turtle blood right now. But I'm sleeping well and that's HUGE. And while I'm feeling whiney about the things I can't have to eat, I can't really say I'm having cravings. There are foods that I miss, but it's more a sentimental thing. (Is that weird?) Now I'm going to go curl up in bed and read till I fall asleep. 

The weather has been so hot and humid lately and I am much more comfortable in cooler climes: my favourite is a bright crisp autumn day in North America! but here we are in the South Pacific and 32 degrees (80+) at bedtime! Never mind thanks to AIP I still manage to get restful sleep when I do fall asleep. So I am blessed.

Hey, look at this Nancy...all we have to do is convert misslindy's weather into Celsius and suddenly we have exactly the same weather!  How cool is that?!  ROFL!

Truth be told, there is a real good chance my bedroom is 80' most nights this time of year.  I should say, for you who have suffered with my displeasure over winter this month (first of all thanks for being such good sports) and I do promise you will never, ever, hear me griping about it being too hot come summer on this side of the pond.  I think my ideal career, later in life when I'm ready to start all over again but don't necessarily have to, is going to be in a greenhouse.  I'm the only person I know who steps out of an air conditioned car in the summer, walks in the door of a greenhouse under a blazing sun, and only then breathes a sigh of relief. 

Besides, I could deal with that kind of public I think.  Maybe I have it all wrong, but I find it hard to imagine irate customers returning dead plants.  Don't we all just blame ourselves and keep the failures a deep dark secret?!  So I picture all the customers as being happy and optimistic people, entirely blind to the hours of digging and weeding they are setting themselves up to and only able to see the promise of perfectly manicured lawns. 

I'm sure there is a seedy side to it all, lot's of thorny issues popping up, can't be all sunshine and daisies....but don't dish the dirt if you've ever got your green this way, just keep mum on the whole subject and let me veg out with this fantasy. 

And yes, that whole sentence needs to be pruned for puns...or attacked with weed killer...I'm not sure which. 

so.....love the posts since yesterday. especially love the turtle blood!!! as an adult w/ ADHD, turtle blood is very important to me.

since I've struggled with sleep for years and years, I should be very grateful about improved sleep. this is a big deal and I need to remember that. 

I'm also not hungry all the time. I'm not waking up hungry. I have to make myself eat breakfast. what I think I'm missing is the emotional relief that starchy carbs used to give me. there's nothing like cookie dough to make you feel better (for about 30 minutes!!)  I reread the intro to ISWF yesterday and I don't think

I initially realized how the program is trying to heal the unhealthy emotional connections with food. eat things that make you more healthy and don't use food

as a recreational drug. 

btw, my husband keeps asking me about the reintro process (I don't know if he's trying to tell me something...) but I realized last night there was nothing I felt like I had to have back. so, I'm going to keep going after Friday and see where it takes me. 

and so we beat on....

I don't mind the cold so much, it's the overwhelming gray. Let me amend that...I used to not mind the cold so much. This year, it HURTS. My feet have turned into blocks of ice and can only be warmed up by wrapping them up in something heated (low, gentle heat and not directly on my skin). I wonder if that's because I'm getting older? Meanwhile, the rest of me is too warm, and I'm sitting in front of a fan. I'm the one who didn't complain about the cold because I complained about the humid heat. So now it looks like I'll have to complain about the weather year 'round! :P I may have to travel from the north in the summer, to the south in the winter, slowly but continually moving back and forth to stay in my comfort zone. Sheesh... Crimsann, I'll be in the air-conditioned car, which will be parked in the sunniest spot I can find. waving to you in the greenhouse!!!

Today will be another cold, gray day. I accept that I will not get many steps in today, and will probably not take a walk during my lunch hour. But I will eat my compliant food and remind myself that this really is the best way for me.

Bad morning, had to wait several hours to cool off enough even to post about it...

We are having the first work carry-in that has actually hit while I'm on a W30, which isn't really a huge problem except for all the previously explained "issues" I have with being known as the "the cook" and the tricky balance of participating without being able to actually participate all that much.  They are doing a Super Bowl food theme so this was actually easier than it could have been.  I also sort of mildly hate middle of the week things since I can't pre-make much on the weekend (especially when they decide to announce it on Monday) and my evenings are already sort of...full.

So, I went with the Toasted Rosemary Almonds...done it before, super simple, really tasty, and hey...not even something that is obviously diet food and could very easily be the sort of thing someone put out for a Super Bowl spread. 

Ran out on my lunch break yesterday, got all the three things it takes, spent last night juggling making dinner and trying to keep them turned in the oven so I had perfectly toasted nuts.

And then this morning driving in some oblivious moron slams on his brakes for no apparant reason and in trying not to hit him I do the same which causes my work tote to go sailing into the windshield, land upside down with force, which in turn causes the lid of the container of nuts to pop off....and nuts fan out in a perfect wave to coat the carpet on the passenger side. 

I kid you not guys.  SIX CUPS OF ALMONDS, and about 10 each stayed in the container.  The rest were thrown so far and wide I will expect them to be finding them still the next time I have an oil change done.  Completely ruined.  And now, I have a delicious layer of olive oil, garlic salt, and toasted rosemary coating my carpet gently soaking in all day today no doubt.  Marinaded floor mats, just what I always wanted.

Sure, my car will have a lovely aroma...which will just remind me how blisteringly furious I am...and probably make me hungry. 

Oh boy...what a stinky situation, Crimsann. Waste of time, waste of money, and nothing you can be sure you can eat. Take a deep (rosemary-scented) breath and resist the urge to bestow a throat punch on anyone. XO

Here is my visualization:

It's a sunny day.  Well, of course it is, it's my imagination and I don't imagine winter.  I'm standing on the far side of that big white barn from where I grew up, the side where no annoying adults will see me.  Beside me is a waist high stack of Royal Albert Old Country Rose china plates.  (Those were, in fact, my grandmothers china which I have no particular grudge against but for this to work it really needs to be that obnoxiously fussy gold rimmed stuff you were always afraid to so much as look at funny for fear of chipping.)

Once I have that image firmly in mind, I add in a soundtrack of some sort of Wagner...anything that starts slow and builds in fury...and then I hurl every single delicate rose strewn piece of china against the side of the barn one at a time until they are nothing but a pile of rubble.

And sometimes I then stamp on that for good measure.

I'm giggling at hsheffields advice though...I mean they really couldn't tell garlic salt from the salt we put on the walks could they?  I could claim that was just chunky gourmet sea salt crystals.  Might be a bit harder to exlain away the odd bit of gravel that gets tracked into the car on a weekly basis when your shoes are covered with packed snow, but I'm sure it was organic.

Archived