TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

I'm still kind of "deer in the headlights" with the party food, but I'm adding all these suggestions to the simmer pot and I really appreciate you guys tossing them out there because I feel like I've at least got a start!  I found myself really drawn to the "fruit/veggie/nut" idea and I'm wondering if I can't whip up some kind of coconut cream fruit dip...that's the sort of thing that could have universal appeal and be on the light side for all the NY resolution folks while being perfectly tasty and "normal" to the rest and secretly being entirely compliant if somewhat ill-advised as part of a normal meal.  But that's going to take some internet searching and some luck on finding a recipe or at least a start of one that I can tweak.  Easier would be a veggie dip for sure so that's Plan B but carrot sticks is a bit too obvious diet for my tastes.  My third idea is to make another batch of the Green Goddess dressing, having pre-confirmed that my friend appreciates the finer points of cilantro, and doing a sort of crispy chicken cobb salad.  And considering "to dip or not to dip" is a choice, I could also make the fruit dip non-compliant (which I've tons of recipes for) and just not use the dip myself.  At that point though I might as well make the cookies that I know my friend would probably want me to bring in the first place and leave her with all the leftovers. 

I won't struggle even slightly on being tempted by the other party food and I never drink, so that part isn't an issue.  The two people I will know who will be there are the two I'm the most "out" with about this diet plan and the two people on the PLANET I would never eat off plan in front of.  LOL!  So dusting my hands over the possibility of straying.  I am blessed with a genetic inability to care what people think of me in general terms so I wouldn't feel even a smidge awkward about not eating at a party and sticking to a coffee.  In fact eating only what I brought is almost more awkward in my mind!  The only thing that's causing me to freeze here is that I'm generally known as the "cook"...and whatever I bring is usually the first thing people try.  I guess I'm more worried about letting down my rep by bringing something that is great to US but the general audience would be like "ummm, that's got a really great personality that dish does." and secretly hiding it in their napkin.  This worry might sound like it's in direct contradiction to not care policy but I think perhaps I do care what people think about my dish.  Hoot, I'm completely ridiculous! 

So, wasn't there a day when people breathing too loud was going to drive us batty?  Well...two of my co-workers have serious congestion today and are wearing headphones so they can't hear themselves but let me tell you...they really, really ARE breathing too loud. 

Oh boy, this made me laugh at least three times, and I needed that right now!

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boy oh boy, I almost lost it today. I decided to go through the drive-thru at Walgreen's today because my "snugar" dragon (that's snack/sugar...) is HOWLING and I don't trust myself to go in. But because I have to renew my Walgreen's Rx card, I have to get out of the drive-thru lane and go in the store. Danger, danger!!! So after waiting in line in my car, now I have to wait in line in the store. And the computers are slow. And one thing after another until I'm ready to cry or dive into the candy aisle. Then off to Aldi where people are parked in places that are not parking lots, and standing in front of the fridge door I need to get to, and then a lady with a VERY full cart goes into a full on run to get to the checkout before me. I have 4 bags of sweet butter lettuce--that's all. Again, I was ready to cry or eat the Snicker's bars I know they keep by the registers. I made it out of both places without doing anything stupid, but boy, it was close! My reward for living through all of this was seeing my box of Tessamae's stuff in front of my door--what a happy surprise! So now I can experiment with something new to put on that butter lettuce along with whatever else I have for dinner! 

@NancyW...your story of standing in front of the cooler reminded me of what my niece pulled the other day and I've got to share.  She is two and was at the grocery with my sister, riding around in one of those carts that has a kid-friendly car attached to the front that they can pretend to drive.  My sister wheeled her up to the cooler to get some coffee creamer and this little old lady was standing there pondering her options.  Minutes tick by and while my sister was trying to be patient, it seems my niece heard her teeth grinding and decided to take action so she hollars out "BEEP!  BEEP!  Green light!  GO!"

Which, as the dear lady had no idea there was anyone even behind her, causes her to jump.  She turns around and sees this adorable little blonde driver and says, "oh honey, I'm sorry, was I in your way?" 

To which my niece replies, deadpan, "Yup."

Now, I don't really reccomend shouting "BEEP! BEEP!" necessarily in all circumstances, but I think there is a time and place. 

Congrats on getting past Snugar!  We may have to work on that name though, it makes him sound pink and cuddly.  Now if we could just call him Snugar the Snorter of Fire...no, that won't work.  Hmmm.  Snugar the Sneaky Snout, eh.  No. 

Thesaurus anyone?!

Hey friends...happy day 8 to you all!! I had a BAD start to my day, but stayed true to ideals, although I had my first cup of coffee all week that I bought from a PIE store...yup...walked in there, drooled over all kinds of fab looking pies, but I stayed true to my school....felt sorta outta sorts this afternoon...and then found a FUN new website called PRETENDITSADONUT. I made the front page recipe for clam chowder soup with an ingenious cauliflower "cream"....highly recommend it...and a great dinner for a cold rainy night here...and when I needed comfort.

Hoping tomorrow is better...CANNOT WAIT for tiger blood!

Nancy, I,m mighty proud of you...strut your stuff, girl....you've got what it takes...and I SO WISH I could have seen you on that bike!

Merg - hope you like the breakfast.  I've made scotch eggs once - a little work getting them ready but very tasty.  The cabbage recipe sounds great and I'm going to try to make it this weekend - thanks.  The gas - maybe it's from increasing your veg intake or eating some veggies you don't usually eat?

Crimsann - I see now why you are having such a hard time deciding what to take to the party.  On one hand you don't care what people think but on the other hand you do - life can be so complicated sometimes!  I'm not sure what I would do in that case either so no advice but maybe someone else will come up with a good solution.  LOVED the story about your niece - would love to have her around!

Nancy - I feel for you.  Yesterday during my Kill All Things moment, I had to wait at the Wal-Mart deli, getting meat/cheese for husband, while the one person in front of me got a pound of this, 2 pounds of this, 1/2 pound of this and a pound of that.  They always only have one person slicing so I definitely feel for that employee but I had a hard time keeping my feelings to myself :angry:     But, the important thing is that you kept your wits about you and didn't cave  :)

Day 8 done and doing ok.  Felt good about intensity of cardio workout this morning since I am trying to stay fairly low carb.  I changed my mindset a while ago about cardio - used to do it thinking it would help weight loss and now I do it for the cardiovascular benefits.  I've brought my resting heart rate down from mid 80s to low 60s which has to count for something.  During first W30 and afterward, I suspected I was reacting to nightshades and I still have that suspicion so I am going to try to complete the rest of this one without them - makes me really sad because I LOVE tomatoes and peppers.  Everyone have a great weekend and have fun cooking up some great food!

Thanks for the boost, buddies! Crimsann,if I had yelled anything, it wouldn't have been BEEP BEEP...  :rolleyes: I broke my dinner into 2 segments, so that I could have something to eat right away, and then had the salad a bit later. I could still eat a freakin' vat of...I don't even know what, but luckily I don't have any of that in my house. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Good morning! I'm still feeling headachy and sluggish, but my head is in a better place, attitude-wise. I'm headed to the salon where my daughter works for a mani, and then out to meet a friend. My plan was a small breakfast, and then a bigger but early-ish lunch so that I could just have coffee with my friend. I had bits of this and that in my fridge, but not necessarily anything that I would have thought to put together as a meal, so I wasn't expecting my breakfast to be anything to crow about. But it was far better than I expected! I had two eggs scrambled in clarified butter, and a side of cauliflower mash. I was amazed at how good they were together--and so easy! Target sells bags of Dole (I think?) chopped cauliflower that you can microwave in the bag and then mash with butter. It's one of my W30 favs. 

bpaitsel - I think they should have an express line at the deli!!!!!

year end meeting for me and my 43 partners. can't say why, but I woke up loaded for bear. all the stuff that's been bugging me all year needed addressing. today. 

luckily, I was able to be respectful (though not quiet)

I'm still feeling pretty righteous and to tell the truth, cranky. 

I'm  guessing  this is what is known as 'kill all things'

driving 12 hours tomorrow: just me and my dog. probably a good thing. 

Reporting in on what I ended up doing for the party...I decided on the fruits and nuts of a sort.  I made a roasted almonds with rosemary recipe I had seen on the blog that first led me here, basically it's just raw almonds tossed with a bit of olive oil, some chopped fresh rosemary, a sprinkle of garlic powder and some sea salt...baked at 350' for 15 minutes, turn half way through.  I almost ran out of time, thanks to a really bad day, to let them cool long enough to get back to crunchy but they were nearly there when I arrived and got better as the night went on.  I also scoured the net for fruit dip recipes and never really found one that completely worked for me, but cobbled together a couple of ideas and ended up getting coconut cream from Trader Joe's and whipping it with loads of cinnamon and a healthy dash of Chinese five-spice.  I put that out with slices of apple.  The coconut cream whipped really nicely even with no sugar, but without the honey that most sites were adding it wasn't as sweet as could be expected.  The load of spices helped that out, and the sweetness of the apples helped as well, but in the end it was something that harmonized with the savory almonds really well by not being so sweet so happy accident there.  I had a snack server set up with the dip in the middle and alternating almonds and apple slices and I think it blended right in with the cheese spreads and such they had to go with all the wine. 

I sampled a little of what I brought and chatted for a couple hours but thanks to aforementioned day still had a grocery run to make so I didn't stay too late.  It was fun meeting her friends and gives me a kick to know I'm one of them as they were a wild and crazy assortment.  

I've got most of my cooking for the week done, forgot one thing I will need to pick up tomorrow, but I'm now debating either a nap or something that involves earphones so I can't hear the wind whistling outside.  First snow last night has me grumpy and the wind isn't helping, but for today at least I can stay layered up in blankets and ignore it.  Tomorrow is another story.  Good thing I made the famous chocolate chili! 

@hsheffield...hope that drive isn't through my neck of the woods and you get things all worked out mentally.  I used to do that a lot when I needed to reset, just take off somewhere sort of random and drive until things felt like they were in perspective.  Sounds like yours is more of a planned drive than a spontaneous one, but it could work all the same.  Driving in snow would sort of have the opposite result for me, so here is hoping yours is safe if not actually sunny!

Crimsann, thanks for letting us know what you ended up doing--it actually sounds pretty marvellous. How clever are you? Well done.

The oven has been giving trouble for a few weeks and I keep being ignored about it or being told to do something complicated like checking temperatures etc. I finally said, no more baking or cooking until it is repaired. Funny, an electrician was here today! One element gone, thermostat gone, light gone. Personally I would prefer to see the stupid stove gone but that won't be happening. Parts have been ordered and now we wait. Good thing I had so much in the freezer we can survive with stove top for several days.

I have decided I need to get more routine about my meals, offal for breakfast (or combination thereof) fish for lunch, and meat for dinner. Will do that for a week then rotate just to shake things up a bit. It is so hot here these days that hot meals are a bit of a challenge but I do need to drink my bone broth it makes such a difference and in spite of the sunshine, I am taking codliver oil so hopefully I am getting what I need these days.

Hope you all had a good weekend and we are into the second week now! Hurray for us.

Hi all!

misslindy, it's funny that while you're talking about how hot it is, we have subzero temps today.

crimsann, what you brought sounds wonderful, good for you!

Things I've noticed in the last couple of days:

• Sleeping really well!
  • No need for pre-bedtime or middle-of-the-night antacids

It's good to see some positive changes, after I almost gave up yesterday! I took a gander at the timeline though, and realized I'm right where I'm supposed to be. And if the timeline says I'm most likely to quit on day 10 or 11, you better believe it will NOT happen that way!!! And if I got this far (we're 1/3 there!), then I'm sure not going to quit now. But I too need to shake up the food a bit. I can do that.

I'm going to spend all day trying to come up with at least two positive bullet points.  If NancyW can do it in subzero temps, so can I...but this morning did not see me waking up with a happy face on.  I'm revising my winter timeline to include "kill all the snow" days and they may be random and unpredictable and tomorrow. 

I guess one good thing though would be I'm so busy being mad at the weather that I haven't had time to feel frustrated with food yet.  I'm a couple days behind most of the group so I am not in the "quit today" danger zone just yet and I thank you in advance for that inspiration not to!  I've found myself eyeballing chocolate more than I did in either of my other W30's, not even because I have a craving for it, but because it's there.  Over the holidays I made some super silly gingerbread people with those foil wrapped chocolate liquer bottles in their hands.  I had a friend over to help decorate and we had a complete blast, but I did have a couple of those bottles leftover and I've had to put them out of sight.  This is bizarre because as I stated the other day I'm not a drinker so it's just the chocolate content calling me.  I think the mental image of cracking a "bottle" open made me feel too much like a crazy person to actually do it but the temptation was stronger than it should have been.

I have a feeling it's going to be a tough week for some of us, so let's make the promise now that we will vent when we need to and always try to end on some kind of positive note.  Even if you have to dig really deep just to come up with something like...

"Coffee is hot even when I'm not!"   

All joking aside though, this is when the group becomes the Thing That Gets You Through.

Congrats on getting past Snugar!  We may have to work on that name though, it makes him sound pink and cuddly.  Now if we could just call him Snugar the Snorter of Fire...no, that won't work.  Hmmm.  Snugar the Sneaky Snout, eh.  No. 

Thesaurus anyone?!

Maybe we could work on our own images as dragon tamers?  Or Dragon Slayer.  How funny is the image of myself standing in the bakery or dreaded dragon lair known as the snack aisle, dressed in black leather (aren't heroines always?) brandishing my sword and shield.  Or chair and whip if it's the snack monster instead of the sugar dragon... :D

I have been working on my own image the past couple of days and done some soul searching and attitude adjusting.  I have started over after a very good and old friend surprised us on Friday (for my birthday) with a pre-booked evening out to his favorite Mexican place for dinner/drinks and a concert later.  The ease with which I jumped ship to "avoid hurting his feelings" told me I was not fully in the game yet. Over the weekend I took a good solid look at where I'm at and gave myself a reality check.  If I want to feel good and fit in my clothes, I cannot eat like the majority of people around me. Reality. I can either sit and whine about it and cry poor me and go back to where I started from (God in Heaven, NO) or get up and do something about it. So I decided to get up and I'm back.  Not well pleased with my behavior but ready to move on. :) 

Thus the image of the dragon slayer comes to mind as a great mental image to help myself.  I might even style the image after my favorite gaming character - if I can slay a dragon, who says I can't be a night elf in my mind?? :D

Oh, and forgot the other part of the post.  Does anyone here use essential oils?  I was reading an article this morning about using peppermint essential oil to fight off sugar cravings.  Both by applying to skin and inhaling.  Curious to see if it works, may have to try it.  I know it works to keep spiders out and it's one of the herbs in my rice pack that I use when I have headaches.

@C_Cezeaux, welcome back!  I think you caught yourself right off because we wouldn't even have noticed the slip so bravery at admitting it noted!  I have to share a picture from my first Whole30, we had a member in June who went by the user name RubytheSugarDragonSlayer and we had a running joke about our dragon slayer looks.  I also do (a lot) some gaming, and I picked one of my most outrageous characters to mentally be my dragon slayer as well.  I thought you might get a kick out of it! 

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/27631-start-date-june-1/page-15#entry299296

I've not used essential oils for much of anything other than occasionally in a humidifier, but I've always thought the scent of peppermint was both invigorating and comforting so I wouldn't be surprised if it worked as a "pick me up" type distraction if nothing else.  Also that sharp but pleasant scent might help distract the brain from mentally "tasting" what it's craving and break the fixation.  I know I won't be trying it real soon though as all of December I think I lived on candy canes so peppermint for me might actually bring ON cravings!  We did a cookie bake sale and I sold hot cocoa with a candy cane over the side...I had a bunch leftover and instead of getting them out of my sight I let them it at my desk.  Just invited them right in.  And there I was, with no lunch and a busy schedule and a whole box of candy canes.  #doomedtofail

Cynthia....welcome back, oh slayer of all things.....and happy belated birthday! :D   You are on a path that is headed in the right direction, so give yourself a bit of a pass for the Mexicastravanganza....WHO can eat on the whole 30 in a Mexican place???  and on your birthday? Double whammy.  Recipe for disaster...BUT, it isn't really THAT bad.  Remember, you ARE on the path, and stepping off is part of the plan, but far better if you wait to do it until after Day 30 is in the rearview. Thanks for sharing, and welcome back.  We want to see you at the finish line with us!

In fact, I think we need a new image...something beyond Dragon Slayer....we need Empress of the Universe....someone who can choose what to eat and when because she knows (and cares for) her body.  She likes delights every now and then in the form of food, but is wise enough to find more enduring delights in other forms.  She is in CONTROL of her relationship with food and wisely (but infrequently) indulges in those things she has scientifically sorted through as being tempting, but not necessarily nourishing for her.

Lindy, oh no! and now the oven?  well at least it is summer there...and you are certainly creative enough to come up with plans that work for you.  Love your idea of routinizing the food groups at certain meals.  Makes sense to me.  I may try it.  Still am not a great planner...have enough prepared in the fridge for a couple of days, but then the gas runs out...I'd like to have the liberty that Ladyshanny mentions in the whole9 forum of planning longer ahead - or at least through the whole week.  Not at all sure why I am resisting all the great plans out there....worth a little self examination :unsure:    Definitely plan to bring peppermint oil into the office because chocolate cravings come calling EVERY AFTERNOON.

BPaitsel:  I LOVE the new brekkie!  It is so filling and perfect.  I added some rather bitter field greens and magic mushroom powder.  Totally yummy and all made up for the week.  In fact, YOU may be the one who gets me inspired to cook up all meals in advance (or as close to it as I can come).  Easier for us now, who live in winter climes at this time of year, to cook ahead.  I have chili and the clam chowder (from pretenditsadonut) in the fridge now - and some salmon I may sear tonight to have ready for lunch tomorrow and the next few days....

Crimsann, you are an inspiration!  The nuts and coconut cream plan seemed divinely inspired.

I've never purchased coconut cream at Trader Joe's....any other favorites there I should pick up?

Cheers everyone!  Well on our way into week two! :D

Maybe this isn't the best time to share this, but I think this post from Meadow Lily is the total truth....and maybe it can shape the way each of us approaches the rest of this month.....learning every BIT we can of all the ways we can break free and then have our own plan for eating healthily (?) post whole 30 (and reintro)...

There's no such thing as the Finish Line when it comes to your overall health and well being.  It does not exist. 

Whatever you do after your Whole 30, if it's not sustainable you can throw that out the window, too. You have to create your own plan you can live with for the rest of your life.   

If you do what you've always done you'll get what you've always gotten.

Hit or Miss.  Haphazard.  Slapdash.  Slipshod.  Lackadaisical.  Random.  Aimless.  Directionless. Bits and Pieces.  Fickle.  Irresolute. 

You need a plan.  Work your plan.  Tell your brain what you want and the body will follow.

I still can't get my head around the quote/multiquote thing so will just do this.

I have read somewhere that when 'sugar pangs' strike, protein and fat will save the day. Or just a spoonful of coconut oil. Now I am not a fan of straight oil but who knows. Extra protein and fat couldn't be that bad for you, IMO.  I know that I would normally want high carb or fruit and those both feed the sugar monster so protein and fat will do it for me. I have been having sugar cravings lately too so have been going a bit nutso.

The past few nights I have been waking up about 0200 and hungry enough to eat the pillow. Then can't get back to sleep for hours, then worry about not sleeping. Seeing a pattern here anyone? Last night I heated up bone broth and had a lovely cup of steaming broth with a bit of salt before bed. I got up once in the night and went straight back to sleep. So that may be the answer for me for that problem. I swear bone broth is the elixir of life.

My process is a bit different from you in that AI is a wee bit more restrictive but honestly it is not that different but I think eating carbs at different times etc makes a difference in how I process things. So it is all a learning curve.

Cynthia: how wonderful to have a birthday surprise like that! (remember that all year long and have a year of birth-days!) Never mind one meal or even a day of meals off--life is life. I think it just strengthens the resolve to do as you prefer to do.

I agree, Merg, we need a new image, for me it has got to have humour in it not just slay and stomp! Love the 'night elf' and why not, I say?

I have never been a planner and in fact that is one of the problems I am having at the moment--this latest project has had an element of planning and it is absolutely stuck!!! A major reminder to me to do what I do best and that is wing it. Not everything of course, there has to be an element or forethought but I think we all need to do life our way for the most part and not try to fit others rules or expectations. I was told with this project that I should plan out each stage and then fill in the gaps--ain't working. I do much better just letting it flow. I think plans are good but we each have to do it our own way- I am probably saying this badly but having a goal and getting there in our individual unique way is the only way it will be truly our own journey--and then completely doable.

The freedom of W30 is something I have been so grateful for, not weighing, measuring, counting, buying special foods and becoming paranoid about particular foods (letting go of the paranoia around particular foods). I do prepare food ahead but mostly because I want the freedom to spend my days working at what I need to accomplish and not have to think about food. It makes my life much easier. I admire those who make meal plans for the week or the month and if that works for them fine, doesn't work for me. My diet would be extremely boring for some people because I don't really experiment, the same foods are produced repeatedly and that works for me and my household--wouldn't work for others.

With W30 I have experienced a change in preferences and food tastes, my palate has changed. I go out for coffee with my husband or a friend and while they are having food with their drink I am not at all bothered that I am not--and that is different. I can honestly say, I don't want it. And I get very annoyed when people say, 'oh, how strong she is' such nonsense. I could do a major rant about 'good' and 'bad' food and how childish that is, I am not a child and I do know what I prefer and what I don't, has nothing to do with strength or being good. Makes my blood boil thinking of it.

I just realized I am yammering on here and not saying much positive: the thing is, find out what works for you and do it. Time spent regretting what we did or didn't do won't change that it happened. Each day is a new beginning, or if necessary each minute is! There is so much more to this journey than food and what we eat and when--all the soul searching and attitude adjusting keeps us becoming the people we were meant to be--and a positive influence in a turbulent world.

xxxL

Hi all - just wanted to share that I had a food dream last night!  Didn't happen during  my first W30 so was a little surprised but I thought it was quite funny.

MissLindy - so sorry about your stove - I know that is a real bummer but sounds like you have it under control with your freezer of food.  I would like to be better about freezing extra - always say I'm going to make freezer meals but it just doesn't happen.  Sounds like you are doing well with the AI protocol.  I agree with you that we each have to find our way through this - there is more than one right way - as individual as we are.

Crimsann - "Coffee is hot even when I'm not!"   Love it!

Cynthia - don't beat yourself up over the slip.  We are all (or at least I am) still trying to figure out how to combine healthy eating and socializing.  Sometimes we just want to have a "normal" life, whatever that is.  Anyway, you are back here with us and that is all that matters.  I keep reminding myself that this is for 30 days, then do very structured re-intro so that hopefully this is the last W30.  Then if my diet gets away from me I already will know what foods are the culprits.  May need an occasional W7 or whatever just to re-set but then will have the knowledge I am looking for.   I don't use essential oils but thanks for the info that peppermint keeps away spiders.  Love your image of you as dragon slayer!

Merg - glad you liked the breakfast.  Question about the cabbage dish you posted a bit back - is this raw, like slaw, or cooked?  I was reading it as raw but wanted to double check.  Loved the post from Meadow Lily and I think it is totally appropriate.  If we go into this 30 without a plan for day 31 and beyond then why did we do it in the first place?

This day is almost done - bring on day 12!  Everyone have a great Tuesday.

Boy, lots going on here today! I'm headed to bed early, so not much to say. Just a thought about my dragon-slayer persona... My favorite of all my selves is biker me. I bought my bike and learned to ride at 51, and I may have been the nerdiest biker EVER, but the jeans, boots, and leather, and that beautiful bike, made me feel tough and strong. It just so happened that I was working out with a trainer in those days, including a lot of boxing, so I was very strong. I don't have my bike any longer :( but buying and learning to ride, along with taking care of that bike myself, was one of the best things I ever did. If I can do that, I can slay dragons! 

Thanks to all of you for being part of The Thing That Gets Me Through! Off to bed, and then on to Day 12--almost halfway there.

finally! got to sleep for a whole night. it must be the whole 30

another cold coming on. congestion w/ sinus pain which I've never had until I started the whole 30. not sure if it's coincidence or if it's all the bad stuff leaving my body?    anyone else had a similar experience?

long drive w/ dog went well. didn't eat 3 separate meals but didn't eat off plan either. thank you, epic jerky! listened to nom nom paleo podcasts while I drove. she has the best kids. mine were never like that: must be all the sugar I let them eat.

day 12: hard to be too enthusiastic w/ headache and cold symptoms but I love the food I've been eating so it won't be too hard to stay on plan. 

hope everyone else has a great healthy day!!

I just realized I am yammering on here and not saying much positive: the thing is, find out what works for you and do it. Time spent regretting what we did or didn't do won't change that it happened. Each day is a new beginning, or if necessary each minute is! There is so much more to this journey than food and what we eat and when--all the soul searching and attitude adjusting keeps us becoming the people we were meant to be--and a positive influence in a turbulent world.

I think most of what you said actually was positive, you weren't down on yourself or the program but just sounded realistic about what you are learning and applying and thoughtful.  I don't think the words must literally radiate sunshine as long as we aren't letting the discouraging bits be the only thing we focus on.  Support groups can easily slide into propping up each others worst feelings rather than acknowledging them but striving to balance them with the positive side.  I feel like a really successful group honestly needs both and we have pulled that off superbly so far.  People need to see that they are not the only ones struggling, so not venting doesn't help...but they also need to see the courage and the hope.  There were days in my first W30 when I felt fantastic and it seemed like everyone else was miserable...and I almost felt guilty posting about how things were going, but I also knew someone out there probably needed to hear that there would be better days.  If I had to be the Ray of Sunshine that day, I sucked it up and was...knowing that would encourage someone else to do the same the days I couldn't manage that level of brightness. 

Like today, when I won't be mentioning all things white and cold.  ::gritted teeth::

@hsheffield...I'm not really sure on the specifics but I can tell you I never, ever, ever get sick...it's almost uncanny...but I did get a cold going into the third week during my first W30 which was in June and not even prime catch-a-cold season.  I think it's possible for us to be more susceptible to illness when our body is scrambling to adjust to these changes and probably more so the first time around?  I know it was the one major challenge for me and caused me to really question what I was doing, it also brought up the most controversy with friends and family who knew how unusual me being sick was and pointed right at the program.  I had to resort to a lot of "okay, name one thing you think I should be eating while sick that I can't eat" and I had to tap dance around orange juice by pointing out it wasn't ideal but wasn't actually banned.  Otherwise, going back to my old eating habits wasn't going to improve things and they had to sort of admit that point.  I can tell you I've not experienced the same since, I haven't been sick once since, so I don't feel like it's a vulnerability that lasts if that makes sense.  I don't even know if I could go on the stand and swear that W30 had anything to do with me catching it in the first place. 

If it helps, I looked up the tea that was reccomended to me and it's something called Throat Coat.  My honest review is that it worked about as well as a cough drop.  I felt relief while I was sipping it, but not much past that.  With cough drops I tend to feel relief while I'm eating one and then...same old.  I can't even say I really feel it helped any better than any other hot tea would have at the time, but it was easy enough to find (got mine at Target in the tea section) and it was a pleasant enough blend I didn't have to choke it down.  Probably not their most glowing review looking back, but at the time it felt like a lifesaver.   

Crimsann: thanks for your comments. I agree support groups can nosedive to encouraging negativity and focusing on all the difficult bits. But we are still here and still commenting both sides of the experience so we are doing well. Food is the least difficult bit for me at the moment so I keep ploughing through the rest.

@hsheffield: I have often sneezes and cough but it never amounts to much. I put it down to changing my internal environment and figure it is just moving on to rebalance. I just drink more bone broth, water and keep to the programme, eventually I find a day where everything is perfect.

I am so missing my coffee (surely one cup a day couldn't have been that bad for me) and expect the fact that I am missing it more than anything else I can think of means it was not that good for me. I can't find anything to replace it with either--I have tried umpteen herbal teas and none hit the spot at all. Now when we are out for coffee I have no idea what to drink. I don't like regular black tea, green tea is not doing it for me and I have tried almost every other kind I can think of. Any ideas? or if not tea any other drink suggestion?

Still no working kitchen appliance and no sign of getting it soon. I could use the barbeque  I suppose but have never done a roast with one or done any baking with one. Still should work shouldn't it?

Amy planting some lovely herbs today and trying my hand at being a gardener again--mostly I heard Basil on the window sill will help keep flies/bugs away. Then got a bit carried away in the garden centre.

Lovely day here today and I intend to get outside for at least one walk, ride the bike at least once today and perhaps have a swim in the ocean when the tide comes in. I know several of you are in snow storms or at least just darn cold weather but all these conditions will pass--too soon I will be complaining about the cold here, no snow where we are but still gets uncomfortably cold.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I thought about it for a good while before I posted my trip to the dark side, but decided owning up to it in group was part of the process.  True, none of you would have been the wiser if I'd said nothing, but I would know.  And pushing my problems and needs under the rug for too many years while I took care of everything (and everyone) else is a good part of how I got there in the first place.  So I bit the bullet and aired out the closet, so to speak. :)

misslindy, yammering on here is a good thing. :)  We get notes of encouragement and great words of advice, plus when other folks do the same thing we get to see we're all in the same boat here.  It helps.  We all have days when we're not feeling positive.

Crimsann, taking inspiration from yours, here's my favorite character (among the two dozen or more I've built on the game the kids got me hooked on 8 years ago, lol) as my mindset for Dragon Tamer.  Not quite slayer today, but getting there. :)

post-71554-0-31505800-1452627601_thumb.j

Now if I just knew how to make it bigger on here, lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I thought about it for a good while before I posted my trip to the dark side, but decided owning up to it in group was part of the process.  True, none of you would have been the wiser if I'd said nothing, but I would know.  And pushing my problems and needs under the rug for too many years while I took care of everything (and everyone) else is a good part of how I got there in the first place.  So I bit the bullet and aired out the closet, so to speak. :)

misslindy, yammering on here is a good thing. :)  We get notes of encouragement and great words of advice, plus when other folks do the same thing we get to see we're all in the same boat here.  It helps.  We all have days when we're not feeling positive.

Crimsann, taking inspiration from yours, here's my favorite character (among the two dozen or more I've built on the game the kids got me hooked on 8 years ago, lol) as my mindset for Dragon Tamer.  Not quite slayer today, but getting there. :)

attachicon.gifdragpm tamer.jpg

Now if I just knew how to make it bigger on here, lol

Cynthia, so glad you are feeling stronger now - this is the best place to be when we are feeling weak at the knees, wobbly, fragile or damned fine! Wouldn't be the same journey without you. :)

Archived