ElizabethGA Log - began 12/30/15

ElizabethGA

I am on Day 2 now, and am feeling a bit of the "hangover" described in the timeline. Since last week was Christmas, I was stuffing myself with all kinds of yummies that I don't see the rest of the year.

Yesterday went well, UNTIL bedtime. I stuck to the plan, but it was hard. Bedtime is usually when I have a carby something, and I was missing it. I wound up having some cashews, and that helped a little.

I finally found some ghee that I like - thank you Trader Joe's, and am well stocked with food for the next couple of days.

Day 4, and I am doing well. The bedtime sugar/carb dragon hasn't been visiting much, and I'm very happy about that. My son (12) has been loving the W30 dinners. At once point he even turned to me and said, "This is nice," meaning us sitting together and eating. Coming from a pre-teen, that is HUGE.

Eating as soon as I get up is different, but I seem to be adjusting. I am not able to cook first thing, so I've been having boiled eggs (3) with guacamole and dinner's leftover veggies. One morning I had leftover steak and veggies, which I was dubious about, until I started eating it. It was pretty yummy.

I made the homemade mayo yesterday and I am so happy with how it turned out that I may never buy mayo again. Can't wait to make garlic aioli!

Good grief. Today is the first day back to school for my kid and back to getting up before dawn for me. I slipped back into old habits so easily that is wasn't until after I dropped my son off that I realized that I FORGOT TO EAT BREAKFAST. And I have a listful of errands! Luckily I remembered that Starbuck's sells "Protein Boxes" that have a boiled egg and some fruit. Also some cheese, "honey" peanut butter, and a wholegrain ....disk? The latter will be hitting the trash, but the rest should get me through until I get back home.

Good grief. Today is the first day back to school for my kid and back to getting up before dawn for me. I slipped back into old habits so easily that is wasn't until after I dropped my son off that I realized that I FORGOT TO EAT BREAKFAST. And I have a listful of errands! Luckily I remembered that Starbuck's sells "Protein Boxes" that have a boiled egg and some fruit. Also some cheese, "honey" peanut butter, and a wholegrain ....disk? The latter will be hitting the trash, but the rest should get me through until I get back home.

I assume you plan on only eating the boiled egg & fruit? 

In future you could always pick up some tinned fish  or pre boiled eggs, olives & all kinds of veg that can be eaten raw at any grocery store - it's all about learning to think outside the [protein] box...!  ;)

Good idea, thanks. I only had the egg and the fruit, with a huge bottle of water. The coffee smelled so good, but I don't drink black coffee, and it was amazingly easy to resist.

Usually I keep small packets of almonds in my purse, but I cleaned out my purse last night. When I got home, I threw all the emergency snacks I could think of into my purse and car.

It's Day 14 now, and silly me thought it would get easier as I went along. Silly girl! I kinda slacked on making sure I had enough veggies with every meal, and sure enough, my post dinner sugar dragon started coming to visit. One night I tried to fight it off with a banana, and it went just like we have been told it would. Dragon got stronger! I actually wound up on Pinterest looking at desserts and pinning the ones I would make "someday". As soon as I had a full day of eating enough veggies, the dragon calmed down again. I will certainly remember that lesson!

I had an NSV when changing clothes the other day. My waist is appreciably smaller. I'm happy with that, and that helps with motivation.

I forgot to add an interesting development. Since I have been doing more cooking (honestly, if I had a kitchen staff, the Whole30 would be so much easier ), my son has gotten more and more enthused about the food I make. He normally eats lunch at school, which he doesn't particularly enjoy. When he announced that he wanted to take some of the kalua pork I made for lunch, I was so happy that he liked it so much and then a bit bummed because that meant fewer leftovers. That being said, I'd much rather he take our leftovers than have yet another cheeseburger and fries. He's also been telling me how proud he is, which is always a wonderful thing to hear.

• 4 weeks later...

I finished on Jan 28, 13 pounds lighter and 11 inches smaller. My sleep has been deep and restful. I've been making more of an effort to have a nighttime routine, and have found that helpful in getting to sleep.

I honestly thought I'd give up before the 30 days were up. I am amazed at how well I was able to deal with cravings, and at how many new things I have learned to cook.

So I took a week off, food wise, saw my scale creep up, and am back to eating Whole 30 at home. I don't eat out much, so eating non Whole 30 on those occasions should be okay, scale wise. If not, I'll just do another Whole30. Because now I know I can.

Archived