Greetings from Bangkok, Thailand

Dom Dumais

Greetings from Bangkok, Thailand and Happy New Year!

Hi.  I'm new here, but I'm an old hand with this type of forum, I've been running IP.Board forums since about 2009, and started on an Invision Free forum in 2004.

I'm an avid martial artist, and have been studying martial arts off and on since I was 6 years old.  Currently, I'm studying JKS Shotokan Karate here in Bangkok.  I also practice yoga, and have done a teacher training course for teaching yoga.  I try to cycle everyday, but sometimes I miss out on it for one reason or another.

I'm an English and math teacher here in Bangkok, and I teach Prathom 1 (1st Graders) and Prathom 2 (2nd Graders).

I also teach practical self-defense and yoga from time to time here in Bangkok.   :)

About 5 years ago, while my wife and I were living in Chiang Mai, my weight went up to around 260 lbs (118kg).  I remember when my wife and I were visiting my family in the States, she took a picture of me at my families farm in northern Minnesota, and I remember thinking that I had gained a lot of weight, so I should hold my stomach in so it doesn't look so bad.  Later, when I saw the picture, I was shocked that my stomach was still sticking out quite far  :( , and decided I needed to do something about it.  I made a goal of getting down to 200 lbs (90.7 kg), but I wasn't in any rush to get there.  I wanted to do it in a healthy way, and when I got there, I got there.  To do this, I modified slightly my diet, and got back in to yoga and started practicing mixed martial arts (MMA), and I also practiced Tai Chi.  Last year, when I wrote my blog post about losing weight (and quitting smoking) I was down to 200.8 lbs (91 kg).

Throughout this past year, I dropped down to around 190 lbs (86 kg), because of studying karate, and I felt great.  Near the end of the year, I did get a bit lazy, and I have gone back up to 200 lbs (90.7 kg) as of yesterday morning, which is OK.  I'm not concerned.   ;)

My wife did the Whole 30 last year, and she asked me to do it with her, and I have had some stomach issues, I decided to give it a go with her.   :wub:

Well, that's about all for now.  I'll post here and there, and anybody is more than welcome to ask me any questions. :)   I look forward to meeting you all.

Welcome to both of you. We have a great group going TTT and the Renewed Crew and you'd be welcome to join us. Some of us are doing our first W30 and some are doing another W30. I love this way of eating. It has helped with my rheumatoid arthritis pain and intestinal issues. I do yoga, Tai Chi, and water aerobics. I have COPD and yoga has helped my breathing a lot.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from both of you.

Welcome to both of you. We have a great group going TTT and the Renewed Crew and you'd be welcome to join us. Some of us are doing our first W30 and some are doing another W30. I love this way of eating. It has helped with my rheumatoid arthritis pain and intestinal issues. I do yoga, Tai Chi, and water aerobics. I have COPD and yoga has helped my breathing a lot.

Thanks QuilterInVA, I am already part of that gang as they were my original W30 team mates in Sept.  I will let Dom know he can join too.  I am glad it has helped with your health issues I didn't really maintain it beyond the 30 days enough for it to make a significant difference to my health.  But I can see how it improves energy and general well-being.

Thank you QuilterInVA.  VA, does that mean you're in Virginia?  

All fixed :)

Thank you SugarcubeOD.  LOL, it was a bit of a shock when I couldn't edit it after years of being able to do that type of thing.  LOL.  But thank you again.   :D

• Moderators

Thank you QuilterInVA.  VA, does that mean you're in Virginia?  

Thank you SugarcubeOD.  LOL, it was a bit of a shock when I couldn't edit it after years of being able to do that type of thing.  LOL.  But thank you again.   :D

No problem! We like to take care of these sorts of things for you guys so you can concentrate on the amazing journey you're on! :)

Welcome, Dom and hirondelle. Nice to have more participants in Asia (I'm a Canadian based in South Korea). I finished my first Whole30 Dec 19 and am still slowly working my way through reintroductions which will probably take me a few months if I continue in the way I intend.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Cool.  My Aunt's ex-husband is from Newfoundland.  I've been to Winnipeg quite a few times.  I lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Virginia, California, Pennsylvania, Bangkok, Chiang Mai (northern Thailand) and then back to Bangkok.   :)

Archived