Jenny B - 2nd Whole30 (plus 60 more days)

Jenny B

Well here I am again! I completed my first Whole30 in July of last year. I tried to do another one in September but obviously my mind set was not there. I decided to do another one starting today, January 1st. I plan on doing a Whole90. I felt amazing during my first Whole30, but I didn't do the reintroduction right, and I quickly went back to unhealthy eating habits. I saw Melissa do an interview somewhere (I can't find it now) but she mentioned that research shows that it actually takes 66 days to break a habit. For me, I believe that it definitely takes longer than 30. So I have decided to do 90 days. I believe this will really help me get rid of all those bad eating habits.

Meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled, 2 pieces of compliant bacon (Pederson's), white potatoes, and tomatoes.

Lunch: Chicken Thighs and a salad.

Dinner: Pork Loin, Cabbage, ( I don't know what else yet but this is what I will eat at my mom's for dinner). I will probably bring a salad or something to go with it.

I welcome some friends to help with this journey. It is nice to read everyone else's journey and for you to offer some general support, as well!

Good luck #JanuaryWhole30 peeps!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi JennyB,

I'll join you on this Whole90 adventure. I'm a Whole30 dropout (after 11 days) because I didn't prepare sufficiently before getting started last time (no support group, no plan for cooking and feeding the kids, no Whole30 recipes). I guess my biggest problem was that I started in the middle of October and by the time Halloween rolled around I wasn't firmly grounded in the program yet, so I tripped and fell face first into the candy bowl. Like you, I believe 30 days isn't enough. I need to make it past the New Year's resolution hoopla and settle into a way of life, and for that, it will take more than 30 days. We are both off to a good start.

Good luck to you and me.

Jan 1 (Day 1)

Breakfast: Two scrambled eggs with almond milk, wrapped in lettuce leafs, herb tea, orange slices

Lunch: Leftover baked duck shoveled into my mouth while picking the bones clean and containerizing the last of the meat

Dinner plan: Chicken stir-fry with lots of veggies. Will serve rice with it for the family (not for me).

Yes, that damn candy bowl will get you every time! LOL! Welcome and if you need support, please reach out. I think sometimes we think too much about what to fix when sometimes it can just be some leftover chicken and some tomatoes and cucumbers. LOL! Sounds like you have some kids in the house. Mine is 21 so I don't have to worry about him, and my husband will pretty much eat whatever I put in front of him (he can eat like crap at lunch)! Ha! We made it thru day 1! I ended up having pork loin, cabbage, asparagus and potatoes for dinner. It was really good! Good luck to you!!! I am here if you need me. I am going to try and check in every day!

Here we are. Day 2. Woke up in the middle of the night with a headache. Feel pretty lathargic so far. Since I am a Coca Cola addict I am sure this feeling is the lack of caffeine and sugar. No diet stuff for me. LOL! Good thing I don't have to go to work today! Ha! Woke up and fixed myself breakfast since my stomach was growling at me. I had a scrambled hash (eggs, jalapeños, onions, tomatoes, potatoes and bacon). It was pretty satisfying! I don't really know what is on the menu for the rest of the day. Somethings to do with chicken. :). Will check back in later.

Hi Jenny,

I'm still settling in on Day 2. I woke up in the middle of the night, too, with explosive diarrhea. What is that about? I thought eliminating stomach agitating foods would eliminate these un-pleasantries.  :unsure:  Oh, well! I survived the first day (and night) and I'm moving on.

Inching along.

I'm going to buy a book to help me on my journey; just one. I've bought so many diet books and recipe books in my life time that I don't want to fall prey to stocking my bookshelves with more books that hype you up but don't deliver. I'm contemplating "It Starts With Food" or "Well Fed 2". Do you own either of these books, and if so, which one would you recommend? Do you think I can find enough Paleo recipes on the Internet to pass on "Well Fed 2"? And is the majority of information in "It Starts With Food" covered on the Whole30 website/blog?

I refused to cook last night. I usually cook 3-4 times a week. I'm not big on cooking because of the cleaning that follows. It seems like a waste of time. Anyway, my daughters (16 year old triplets) got upset when I told them to eat leftovers (there were bits and pieces from three different meals in the frig), so they told their grandfather that I wouldn't feed them. Within the hour he showed up with two extra large pizzas. The girls waved and fanned the aroma under my nose trying to tempt me but I didn't bite (pun intended). I'm proud that my resolve to stay Whole30 compliant is working. How about you, are these first few days difficult?

Stay strong,

Cindy

Cindy,

I have "It Starts with Food" and "The Whole30, The 30 day guide to total health and food freedom".  I have skimmed through Well Fed and Well Fed 2.  "It Starts With Food" is really all about the science behind it. Very informative, but I felt that the Whole30 book was much more my speed.  It has tons of recipes, as well as all the information for Whole30.  I use recipes out of that book, and http://nomnompaleo.com/has great recipes as well.  Her blog is really informative as well.  If you are on Instagram follow @whole30recipes.  

Yesterday I was a complete slacker. I literally laid around the house all day!  LOL!  I had a headache off and on. Today I woke up a little more refreshed but we will see how the day goes. 

So, 16 year old triplets, huh?  WOW, that is a lot of work.  As I mentioned before I don't have young kids to cook for, but neither do you!  LOL!  They can definitely fend for themselves when you do not want to cook.  As for putting the pizza in your face - that was really not nice.  But kids will be kids.  Have you sat them down to tell them why you are doing this? I don't know if it will help, but maybe it will and they will offer some support!  My husband pretty much eats what I cook, or if I don't cook he fixes Ramen.  LOL!  So, I am lucky that I don't have to deal with that.  I have to make  quick run to the grocery store today. 

So I have about 30 lbs to lose.  All of my blood work is great except my triglycerides.  I really never had a weight problem until I turned 40 and quit smoking. I feel like 5 lbs is added every year since then.  I just really need to learn to make better choices, because obviously the choices I am making are causing me to gain weight.  I am over it.  I turn 45 in May and I refuse to be overweight.  I am just over it. Whole30 is easy to stick to once you get into the groove of it.  I just went back to my old ways after my first one in July.  So, this time around I am really doing it for a change.  Not a quick fix.  

So, on to today!  Hopefully it is better than yesterday. I have to go back to work tomorrow!

So today has been a good day so far. I am just now feeling tired, but that is because I have been running around all day. I ate out for lunch. I fixed myself a salad at Market Street. It was good, but I'm not gonna lie - a slice of pizza would have been heaven.

Meals today:

Meal#1: 2 fried eggs, 2 pieces of compliant bacon and tomatoes

Meal#2: Salad (spinach, spring mix, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet peppers, chicken, and olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Oh and some blackberries.

Meal#3: Flat Iron Steak, grilled veggies (squash, zucchini, onions, peppers, and red potatoes).

I was hungry late afternoon (now) so I had a handful of cashews. I knew my salad wouldn't hold me,, but it was compliant so I just had it.

I did prep some food today. I made up 6 hamburgers and froze them (raw). Cooked some hamburger meat/onions and added some taco seasoning (homemade). I can have that with salad this week for lunches. The hamburgers are quick to defrost when I get home and don't really want to have a major meal. I have leftover baked chicken from last night. I am going to throw a brisket in my slow cooker tomorrow and I should be good to go for the week. Will just need to add some sides. YAY!!!

Back to work tomorrow. It is much easier for me to be compliant when I am working. I don't have to think about what I want and I am busy so the boredom hunger does not really happen.

:)

Hi Jenny,

I'm so glad that I joined your blog. I've skimmed the "Calling All January 1st Whole30ers!"

http://forum.whole30...1st-whole30ers/blog and it has a big following but they aren't talking to each other (with the exception of the moderator), they're just posting one-off messages. I'm having problems including links in my posts as you can see; the options ribbon is grayed out, don't know why.

Yes, my 16 year old daughters can fend for themselves and they do sometimes. I didn't invite them to join me on this journey because when they fall off track I will be tempted to follow their derailed train. So they have the option to eat what I cook or not, and do their own thing when I don't feel like cooking at all. I'm no longer going to cook things that aren't on my plan just to please them. They don't need the Whole30 as much as I do. They are trim and fit from daily cheer practice and competitions.

Last year I started changing the family's diet by buying organic meat, eggs and produce, and I buy almond milk and wheat breads. From the time my kids were babies I didn't allow soda or juice in the house with the exception of orange juice occasionally. I've never acquired a taste for coffee or beer, and I never drink hard alcohol. Wine...Well, when I'm going through an emotional episode I will binge on wine and chocolate (not at the same time). That's where most of my weight comes from. I'm 58 and I'm a good 50 pounds overweight. My body looks just like my profile picture, that's why I chose it. But I'm healthy as an ox. No diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, arthritis, allergies or aches and pains. I attribute my good health to taking mega-dose vitamins every day. Believe it or not, whatever can't be cured by an elimination diet like Whole30, it can be cured with vitamins if you take large enough doses (your body will eliminate the excess).

So, my Whole30 is all about weight control. In particular, it's about taming the sugar dragon. I can do without wheat products and dairy; no problem. And coffee with cream is not an issue (Starbucks has never gotten any of my money). But sugar...I'm a sugar addict to the point that I need a 12-step program or check into a rehab center. When I'm upset, nervous or disappointed I crawl into bed with a box or bag of chocolates. When I'm happy I celebrate with wine. My biggest challenge during the Whole30 is to control my emotions, and hence, control the sugar dragon.

Once I get the sugar dragon under control I will vow to never awaken it again. I don't know if that means no sugar ever again but I plan to figure it out this year, right now.

Cindy

I read the reviews on Amazon for both "It Starts with Food" and "The Whole30, The 30 day guide to total health and food freedom". I agree that "It Starts with Food" is all about the science. I'm not sure that I really need that information at this point. And "The Whole30" is a synopsis of the program along with recipes, but reviews said the recipes are very basic like how to boil an egg or scramble an egg, etc. I'm not the best cook but I know the basics. I guess I'll buy "The Whole30" anyway and continue to google paleo recipes when I want to spice things up.

-Cindy

Cindy,

Yes, I posted a couple comments to that thread as well, but like you I want some interaction. So, thank you for looking at my log!  Now we can help each other stay accountable!  I wouldn't say I am a sweets person, but I am definitely a cheese/crackers, chips/salsa, anything salty kind of girl!  But, I like sweets too!  HA!  I do tend to go for the salty items in times of stress. I don't drink coffee.  I am with you - I plan to figure out some sort of way to live.  Either without all that stuff, or try and have it just sometimes.  For now, though I know sometimes turns into everyday!  I had such great success with the first Whole30 (lost 12 lbs), but I gained it all back. So  obviously I don't have anything under control.  My husband and my son went to Sonic last night and brought back Sonic Blasts.  I so wanted one of those.  Of course, it makes it harder because they both say I am not overweight.  But they love me, so they lie.  LOL! 

The Whole30 books has more than just basic recipes. I have used a few recipes out of the book.    I am still a big believer in www.nomnompaleo.com  She has some great recipes. Check her out.  Tons of info and all for free!

Well that is good that your teens are in good shape!  My husband is a carpenter so he does manual labor pretty much all day.  He is in great shape and doesn't have to watch a thing that pasts his lips.  Makes me so mad!  LOL!

I slept like complete shit last night. I mean seriously woke up every 30 minutes.  And, back at work today.  So I am tired and really wanted some coke this morning. Something cold and sweet and filled with caffiene.  But, I got water.  I think it sucks today, but I know it will pass.

Breakfast was just 3 scrambled eggs - couldn't eat all of them and some tomatoes. 

Meal#2: Is leftover baked chicken, red potatoes, and tomatoes/cucumbers/green onions mix with olive oil/red wine vinegar. 

Meal#3: Maybe a taco salad, or hamburger.  Haven't decided yet.

I had such great success with the first Whole30 (lost 12 lbs), but I gained it all back. So  obviously I don't have anything under control.  My husband and my son went to Sonic last night and brought back Sonic Blasts.  I so wanted one of those.  Of course, it makes it harder because they both say I am not overweight.  But they love me, so they lie.  LOL! 

Don't bemoan your last effort and the weight you gained back. It was a learning experience. Think of all the things you now know that will help you to live a "whole" life. We learn by our mistakes and this time you know your weaknesses and will steer clear of them. Take it easy and just make it to the end of your whole 90. Ninety days of whole eating should put you at your target weight. That'll be something to cheer about.

I'm breezing along. Last night I made prawns and broccoli stir fry with olive oil and heavy seasoning. I removed 1/4 of the mix from the pan and set it aside for me. The remainder I poured Panda broccoli beef sauce on it, made rice and served to the kids. I realized that the central ingredient to most of the meals that I prepare is a store bought sauce. It makes cooking so easy but they contain a lot of sugar. That's the main thing that I want to learn; how to make Whole30 compliant sauces to replace the ones that I'm hooked on like sweet & sour sauce, broccoli beef sauce, linguine sauce, barbeque sauce, ketchup.

Today for lunch I nuked eight frozen organic meatballs and poured this locally made organic spaghetti sauce on top. Delicious! And it took less than 5 minutes to make. Now that's my kind of cooking. :) I know that's not really cooking but my kitchen is small and old and unmotivating.  But I'm going to win the HGTV dream home and I'm going to be slim and looking good when HGTV rings my doorbell in March to tell me the good news. :D

I forgot to say that the Sonic blasts will still be around when you're done with your Whole30. Just make a list of all the tempting things that you can't have now and tell yourself you'll have them one day soon. That's what I do. And your family is supposed to build you up by telling little white lies.

I forgot to say that the Sonic blasts will still be around when you're done with your Whole30. Just make a list of all the tempting things that you can't have now and tell yourself you'll have them one day soon. That's what I do. And your family is supposed to build you up by telling little white lies.

LOL, yes they are!  I am not even an ice cream person, but since I couldn't have it I wanted it.  But it will be warmer in April and I will enjoy it then!

Thanks for the encouraging words!  I really needed them yesterday!  Today I am back on track (mentally), so that is a good thing. My headache is finally gone and I got some good rest last night.  I made hamburgers last night. Carmelized some onions to put on top of it. Had Bubbies pickle (YUM), cucumbers and tomatoes.  Then sliced some potatoes really thing and baked them on high.  So quick, good and satisfying!  After reading your post I need to make some meatballs, or find some organic ones like you to nuke!  YUMMY!  So easy! 

Today's meals:

M1: 2 Scrambled eggs, 2 pieces of compliant bacon and tomatoes

M2: Taco salad.  Homemade taco seasoning, jalapenos, lettuce, tomotoes, onions.  Plus some pineapple.  I forgot salsa.  :(  Oh well I will eat it anyway.

M3: Brisket (cooking away in the slow cooker right now).  Asparagus and some berries probably.

So glad my mindset is better today.  I thought I was going to collapse yesterday.  Tired, Cranky and Hungry and not a good thing! 

Here we are at Day 6!  Feeling a little more confident and not as stressed out.  Headache totally gone.  WOO HOO!  Starting my time of the month today/tomorrow so feeling a little bloated.  So, the only thing that gets me is just drinking water.  I don't like coffee and haven't really found a tea I like (but I have tried a couple). Yes, I have flavored water with fruit. But seriously it is still water.  That is really the only thing that bothers me.  I know, I know. I am whining.  But its my log so I can whine if I want to!  HA!  I told myself I really need to head to the gym, but I think that will wait till next week. 

Meal#1: Scrambled eggs hash with onions, bacon, and jalapenos.  Side of blackberries/strawberries

Meal#2: Brisket and grilled veggies (red potatoes, onions, peppers, zuchinni, and squash)

Meal#3: Baked Chicken Wings and asparugus. 

Make it a great day!  :)

Yeah!!! Day 6!

Sorry for not leaving a post yesterday. I was experiencing narcolepsy. No kidding! My fingers were hovering over my keyboard ready to type the next sentence and I would suddenly drop off to sleep with no warning. I would then awake with a jolt feeling confused and disoriented. This happened several times throughout the day. I couldn't drive or do anything for fear of falling asleep, so I went to bed early at 8:00, but once I was in the bed, I couldn't fall asleep. I ended up reading until 3 a.m. What a wild day.

If I were you, I wouldn't go to the gym until Day 10. I told myself that I had one responsibility the first week and that was to stay on the diet, nothing else. You see, when I mix diet and exercise together, if I fail to get up and exercise one day my brain says "Oh, you blew it, so you might as well really blow it and eat stuff that's not on the diet and we'll start over again tomorrow." I've tanked so many diets with that silly reasoning. Although I blew my diet last time on day 11. :(

I bought the "Whole30" book from iTunes so that I have the recipes on my phone when I go shopping. As I thought, the first half contains information that I've already read on the website but it's nice to have it at my finger tips in an organized manner. And since I have it on my phone, no matter where I go I can stop and say, "What did Melissa say about this or that?" and I can look up the answer instantly. I'm also going to cook more using the recipes in the book. My appetite is really small now but I feel that I'm missing out on something really good when I read what you and others have been eating. I'm making my meal plan and shopping list now and I'll hit the store tomorrow.

Try to force yourself to drink more water and tea. There's some really good flavors available. The other day I had a Schweppes black berry sparkling water. It tastes like soda, not that I'm big on soda. I'm a big tea drinker although one of my favorite flavors (pumpkin spice) is off limits because I noticed on the label that it contains stevia. So here lately, I've been drinking peppermint (no stevia added), which tastes like a candycane. Try making ice tea out of flavored herb tea. It's a great way to consume more water.

Take care!

Cindy,

Do you have narcolepsy?  Or was it just a really weird day? 

I am doing pretty good today. I don't have a lot to report.  I actually do walk my dog every day. I have a husky and we usually go on a mile to 2 mile trek (depending on the weather).  So, I am just adding some sprints in there during her walk. I will probably go to the gym on Saturday though. 

Nothing major to report!  Hope your day is good!

Weird

I wrote a repsonse it didn't take.

Cindy I hope you are feeling better today.

I don't really have anything major to report.  About the exercise - I walk my husky every day. She has to get out of the house. So we usually go on a mile to 2 mile trek depending on the weather. I added some sprints in yesterday.  I will hit the gym on Saturday, though.

Hope your day is good!

Hi Alison,

Glad you poked your head in. My kids could layout an entire table of tempting foods and beg me to eat but I wouldn't because I'm not going to give them the satisfaction of watching me fail.

My church started a church-wide fast on Jan 3 to last for 2 weeks and one of my daughters tried to convince me to join her in the fast by saying that I would lose weight faster and get all of the benefits of the Whole30. I declined because I like to eat. Needless to say, my daughter is done fasting already. (I survived another form of sabotage.  :D )  Their sabotaging attempts are no different than the donuts or candy in the break room at work. We all have to keep our blinders on and continue to march past one temptation/sabotage at a time.

Well, last night we had pork. Guess what? The pork has added sugar.  I usually always buy the prime (that is the one that doesn't have sugar), but my husband stopped and got it and cooked.  I had this happen last whole30, but noticed it before I ate it. This time I didn't even think about it till after. So, I had a Whole7.  I am not that upset about it.  I will just continue eating whole30ish, and move forward.  I won't jump on the bandwagon and start eating like crap, but I am not going to let it ruin what I did.  I had a good reset and I feel confident I can move forward. Good luck to you! 

Well, last night we had pork. Guess what? The pork has added sugar.  I usually always buy the prime (that is the one that doesn't have sugar), but my husband stopped and got it and cooked.  I had this happen last whole30, but noticed it before I ate it. This time I didn't even think about it till after. So, I had a Whole7.  I am not that upset about it.  I will just continue eating whole30ish, and move forward.  I won't jump on the bandwagon and start eating like crap, but I am not going to let it ruin what I did.  I had a good reset and I feel confident I can move forward. Good luck to you! 

JennyB, I wouldn't let this stop you from completing a W30. I know there's a lot of back and forth out there about messing up and restarting and all that. Some people are really strict and others less so. I guess the "official" word is here:

http://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/

If I were you (and I'm not, so of course the choice is yours!), I would pay special attention to #4 and #5. I would chalk this up as a learning experience and get on with it, because to me, getting to the 30 days is more important than penalizing myself for a mistake. Yes, it's important to check your ingredients on everything, and that is part of the program, but--we all live real lives. We all have husbands (or significant others, or family members) who (generally) try to do their best but aren't 100% attuned to what we require. That's life, and we make the best of it.

I'm rooting for you!! 

Archived