Jenny B - 2nd Whole30 (plus 60 more days)

Jenny B

Oh, Jenny B, you are so much like me. All of this starting and stopping, and starting and stopping again makes this whole damn thing three times as hard. I cheated on Sunday, too. I made chicken stir fry with lots of veggies (three colors of bell peppers, red onion, green & yellow zucchini, mushrooms). The plan was to separate the stir fry in half and put a premade stir fry sauce (McCormick brand in a pouch, we all love it) on the kids' half, but instead, I put the sauce on the whole thing. Of course, the sauce has sugar and soy sauce in it; that's what makes it good. So since I cheated by putting the sauce on my stir fry I ate some rice to go along with it. Making compliant gravy and sauces is the hardest thing for me. There is always some ingredient that I need but don't have so I fall back on the premade stuff, which is quick and easy but not compliant.

I'm making excuses because I'm just not mentally ready to follow the rules. I siked myself up for a Jan 1, New Year Whole 30 and I failed. Now I'm wallowing in defeat. We had such good intentions. I'm sure we aren't the only ones that failed the test. But starting over and immediately falling off the wagon again is doing more harm than not trying at all, because continuously stacking up these defeats is demoralizing and sets are expectations lower. My attitude is I can always start over again on Sunday or Monday or next week. Good grief, when does it stop!

I'm going to start my Whole 30 one more time and if I fail, that's it for the year. This time I'm going to do the Whole 30 in conjunction with Lent. Every year I celebrate Lent by giving up something like no snack food or no television, and starting something new like writing a short story or learning to French braid hair (my daughters loved that one). This year the Whole 30 will suffice as my sacrifice and I need to think about my something new, I haven't decided yet.

Lent begins on Wednesday, Feb 10 and ends on Easter Sunday, March 27. That's 46 days. Most people who observe Lent fast Monday thru Saturday (40 days) and eat on Sunday (6 days). But I'm going straight through with Whole 30 even on Sundays. It will be a big celebration on Easter when I make it to the end. And there's no stopping and starting again. If there is a minor slip up I'm going to keep going, but I'm planning on not having any slip ups.

Jenny please join me for this Lent/Whole30. There are 16 days (counting today) until the beginning of Lent (Ash Wed). That's plenty of time to prepare mentally and physically. Go ahead and eat the foods you've been missing. Enjoy Super Bowl Sunday. Pigout on Fat Tuesday. And then begin on Ash Wednesday. You might even want to go to church that evening and partake in the Ashes blessing where the cross is marked on your forehead with ash. Millions of people around the world will be praying and sacrificing along with us. There's strength in numbers.

Consider this proposal and let me know what you think.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I am good, but not Whole30.  HA!  I had a doctor appt yesterday (gastro) and she wants me on a high fiber diet.  I have to figure out how that will work with Whole30.  I don't like legumes so that is not the issue, but grains/bran may have to be added to my diet if I can't reach 30 grams.  I am playing around with it to see.  Lots of fruit and veggies too. 

Ask one of the moderators about what to do to increase fiber in your diet.

Are you eating coconut oil? I just read this interesting article about the benefits of coconut oil. It can increase your weight loss among other things. Read it for yourself:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/20-benefits-of-coconut-oil/ss-BBoFQFh?ocid=1PRCMSRT#image=1

Even though I haven't made it through a Whole 30 yet, I've already felt the effects of the diet just from completing 14 days. Remember I told you several days ago that I ate a couple of cookies and I felt so dizzy that I had to lie down. Well, on Friday I made this frozen dinner meal in a bag. It was chicken, pasta, sliced carrots and a creamy sauce. It made me violently ill. I couldn't get more than three feet from the bathroom before I had go back and this went on for hours into the night. Then it occurred to me to read the ingredients list, after the fact. The creamy sauce contained buttermilk. I'm sure that's what did it. I'm lactose intolerant and I know that but I've always been able to withstand small amounts of dairy like a dish that contains cheese or butter. But since I've gone a while without dairy, when I resumed eating it I became very sick just like I did when I added sugar back into my diet.

I've been eating a Paleo diet since Friday's incident and I feel good. And I think this is where I'm going to stay for awhile. Paleo rules are easier to live with.

I am really not following anything right now. I am eating pretty healthy and just going to do that. I started back at the gym and I feel pretty good about. I am just going to eat healthier and leave it at that. 

I am glad you found out about the small amounts of dairy.  Definitely don't eat that!  LOL!  At least you are really trying to watch the effects of certain food.  Dairy has never really been an issue for me, but I don't really consume much of it in the first place.

I am going to give something up for Lent, though.  I like that you brought it up and I think I am going to give up coke. I love the stuff and I believe it is my biggest downfall. So that is what I am plan on doing.  :)

Archived