My 2016 Whole30 Journey

Danananda

Day 41 already and I am in the home stretch! I feel so good. My nose has been experiencing what I believe is an allergic response the last few days (excess moisture). Not sure if it is the weather as we had lots of wind and the Santa Anas were here briefly. I have also been adding coconut milk to my espressos lately. So I have decided to do without the coconut milk for awhile and I will reintroduce it once my nose is clear and dry.

6:00am
1 espresso with almond milk

7:00am 
B = Frittata with 1/2 avocado
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1 cup veggie + 1/2 avo)
espresso with almond milk

12:45pm 
L = 1 1/2 Chile Lime Chicken Burgers with guacamole, spicy olives, sauteed spinach, roasted veggies, and a few raw veggies / grapefruit while I prepared my meal.
(1.5 palm-sized protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp fat plus 6 olives)

2:00pm
decaf espresso with almond milk

4:30pm
Yoga 2 

6:45pm appetizer, 7:30pm dinner
D = raw cucumbers and snap peas dipped in Sunshine Sauce, and 8 Moroccan Meatballs
(1.5 palm sized protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp sunshine sauce)

Prepared food for the next few days as I will be away from the house much of the time. I have raw and roasted veggies, sunshine sauce and guacamole, chile lime burgers, tuna, and meatballs, and leftover frittata to hold me over :)

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 42 

My nose is still more moist than usual - doing without the coconut milk a little longer. I ate out today - I think this is my 5th meal out in 42 days - used to do that in less than a week in the past :) Liking my new lifestyle!

2 espresso with almond milk

6:45am 
B = 2 eggs fried in coconut oil with sauteed spinach, roasted carrots, and 1/2 chile-lime chicken burger topped with guacamole
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1.5 cup veggie + 2 tbsp guac)

1:15pm 
L = sugar snap peas and red pepper dipped in Sunshine Sauce, and 3 organic beef dogs dipped in Tessamae's Catsup mixed with mayo
(2 palm sized protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp fats)

3:00pm

6:45pm 
D = Chicken Provencal, mixed veggies in olive oil (brussels, green beans, carrots), and handful olives (all from Whole Foods)
(1.5 palm sized protein + 1 cup veggie + olives)

43 days in! My nose was dry and clear today. Going to wait one more day before reintroducing coconut milk. Noticed my elimination has slowed down the last two days - going to up fat and water again. I was away from the house all day and managed to take enough food for lunch and dinner. I am regularly going 6 + hours between meals and feel fine with it all :)

Espresso with almond milk

7:45am

B = frittata with homemade mayo - heated the frittata and it was so much easier to eat and digest - don't like them cold :(

(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggie + 3 tbsp mayo)

1:30pm

L = red peppers and cucumbers dipped in sunshine sauce, and 1 1/2 chile-lime chicken burger and roasted broccoli and carrots

(1.5 protein + 2.5 cups veggie + 3 tbsp sunshine sauce)

7:30pm

D = 8 moroccan meatballs with roasted veggies dipped in mayo + 8 olives as appetizer

(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggie + 2 tbsp mayo + olives)

Hi, what an amazing log. Very much inspiring to go beyond one post! Regarding that, how did you add days to your log. All I see on my entry is the ability to reply. I'm sure I'm missing something very evident. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Yours in Whole30 and wellness,

Lisa

Hi, what an amazing log. Very much inspiring to go beyond one post! Regarding that, how did you add days to your log. All I see on my entry is the ability to reply. I'm sure I'm missing something very evident. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Yours in Whole30 and wellness,

Lisa

Hi Lisa!

Thank you for your kind words :)

Yes, all you need to do is reply to your own post...

Posting everyday has really supported me in my Whole30 journey. May it support you too.

Wishing you Whole30 success!

Day 44 - Did not plan well today so ended up having an Rx Bar as Meal 2... then went another 8 hours before eating dinner - too long! I was hungry for at least 1.5 hours. But not hangry.

Pre-Wo = hard boiled egg with tbsp mayo and seasoning salt

8:00am
Yoga 1 - a little light-headed (noticed that in another class last week too)

9:45am 
B = 3 eggs fried in ghee with sauteed spinach, 1/2 avo and 1/4 red pepper on the side - had a banana too while cooking - first in a long time
(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggie + 1/2 avo)

1:00pm - change in plans - went to the hospital to see my sister then straight to work
L = Rx Bar

3:30pm

9:00pm
D = raw red pepper and cucumber, zucchini soup, chile-lime chicken burger, 1/2 avo
(1/2 protein, 1.5 cups veggie + 1/2 avo) kept it light since it was so late

I know I didn't eat enough today and yet I feel ok. Need to shop and cook tomorrow!

Hi Lisa!

Thank you for your kind words :)

Yes, all you need to do is reply to your own post...

Posting everyday has really supported me in my Whole30 journey. May it support you too.

Wishing you Whole30 success!

Thank you, I finally realized that! I am liking the journaling too. I think it will be very helpful and motivating.

Today is Day 45 - I hit my second goal - Whole30 then Whole45!! 15 more days to Whole60 and then will most likely begin reintroductions.

I also ate to the template 95% of the time, increased my veggies and fats, decreased my snacks, and feel better overall.

Over the next 15 days I would like to decrease my espressos to 2 per day and have my morning cup after breakfast. 

banana 

7:15am
B = 3 eggs scrambled with canned pumpkin - cooked in and drizzled with ghee, zucchini soup
(3 eggs + 1.5 cups veggie + ghee and coconut milk / oil in coffee)
espresso with c/a milk and coconut oil

11am
decaf espresso with c/a milk

12:15pm
L = tuna with homemade mayo over 2 handfuls of greens
(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggies + 3 tbsp mayo)

4:00pm
Rx Bar - not an emergency - just wanted one - I WAS hungry and didn't have time to cook until after 6pm - so rationalizing this right now :)

6:15pm
D = Crack Slaw with beef and TJ's Cruciferous Crunch with EVOO drizzled over the top, handful of green olives
(1.5 protein + 1.5 cups veggie + tbsp fat and olives)

Day 46 - Ate a banana before coffee and ate Meal 1 within 30 minutes of waking

6:30am
banana + espresso with c/a milk

B = Crack Slaw with beef and TJ's Cruciferous Crunch 
espresso with c/a milk + 1 tbsp coconut oil
(1.5 protein + 1.5 cups veggie + tbsp fat in coffee)

9:00am 
Yoga Level 2

11:15am
L = baked salmon, small grapefruit, and 1/2 avo over two handfuls of greens drizzled with EVOO
(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggie + 1/2 avo and olive oil)

12:30pm
Ruby red chai with coconut milk

S = Rx Bar and I'm ok with it :)

8:00pm
D = handful olives while preparing spanish cauli rice with chicken, topped with 1/2 avo
(1 protein + 2 cup veggie + 1/2 avo and olives)

Day 47 - ate Meal 1 within 30 minutes of waking - thinking I will have tea rather than coffee first thing... also, I seem to be doing fine with coconut milk - that is, if the nausea wasn't caused by it. Still watching.

espresso with c/a milk

B = 2 fried eggs, handful greens sauteed, mashed sweet potatoes with extra ghee, and 1 spicy italian sausage
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + tbsp ghee and milk/oil in coffee)

I was nauseous today - not sure why. My abs hurt too. Think that is from yoga 2.

L = leftover spanish cauli rice with chicken, topped with 1/2 avo
(1 protein + 1.5 cup veggie + 1/2 avo)

5:30pm
Yogalates - more abs!

7:00pm
D = Tomato Basil Marinara with added spicy italian sausage and ground beef over zoodles - olives on the side
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + olives) 

a little stuffed - back to 1 to 1.5 palm-sized protein and 1 to 1.5 veggie as 2 and 2 is too much

Day 48 - Today my sister asked me to help her with diet and exercise and her doctor recommended Paleo! I am honored and happy that she asked me :)

I ate meal 1 within 30 minutes of waking - it is getting easier. I also succumbed to 3rd espresso today. You win some and you forgive the others...

espresso with c/a milk

B = 2 fried eggs, handful greens sauteed, mashed sweet potatoes with extra ghee, and 1 spicy italian sausage
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + tbsp ghee and milk/oil in coffee)

1:00pm

L = Tomato Basil Marinara with added spicy italian sausage over zoodles - olives on the side
(1.5 protein + 2 cups veggie + olives) 

6:00pm
herbal tea with coconut milk

D = baked chicken, 1/2 avo, handful pecans, and cream of tomato soup
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + 1/2 avo)

Posting for yesterday - Day 49

Kind of a whirlwind day. Coffee with a friend, early morning grocery shopping took longer than expected, then straight to work WITH groceries. Because I had back to back clients, and didn't make it home, I had no food or time to eat. Went 9 hours with hunger only the last hour or so. Had an Rx Bar as I needed to get home and cook for the dinner party I was hosting and knew I would be eating in 3 hours.

Dinner party was a smashing success! Mel Joulwan's Turkey Cranberry Meatballs, Velvety Butternut Squash, and Crisp and Sweet Greens (kale). I added a mayo based dip that I threw together with a few ideas from recipes online: Orange Aioli with orange zest, orange juice, and dijon mustard. And for dessert, I created a beautiful platter with Dang Roasted Coconut Chips in the center, with orange slices and dark chocolate around the edges. I purchased and did not drink Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc, and my guests brought tequila with orange slices dusted with cinnamon. I was tempted for ten seconds, and then declined. Did not eat the dark chocolate either - did not want any which is huge as this was an addiction in the past. Not tempted by the wine in my fridge, yet, I am looking forward to a glass of wine in 11 more days - maybe a half glass - with a meal :)

B = 2 fried eggs, handful greens sauteed, mashed sweet potatoes with extra ghee
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + tbsp ghee and milk/oil in coffee)

8:30am
espresso with almond milk out with a friend

Rx Bar

6:30pm

turkey cranberry meatballs, velvety butternut squash, crisp sweet greens, Orange Aioli

(2 protein + 3 cups veggie + 2 tbsp aioli and nuts in greens and squash)

8:30pm

S = coconut chips and orange slices

My unplanned intermittent fast went well. I was pleasantly surprised. Today I am off to a meditation retreat and have decided to not eat until lunch or possibly after the retreat (3:30pm) so I can meditate in a fasted state. I will take food and see how I feel.

Day 50! Just so damn proud of myself right now :)

espresso with c/a milk

I decided to do an IF on purpose today as I am headed out to a 6 hour mindfulness retreat and I am not hungry. Now that I am 50 days in, I just wanted to see how I would do, (since I did a 9 hour fast yesterday), and how it would feel to go 16 hours without eating (counting sleep). The last 90 minutes before lunch I was definitely thinking of food and started to feel hungry - but not over the top I-can't-wait-to-eat-hunger. The rest of the morning I was totally fine. Since I did well, I will consider it again in the future on an as needed basis. The next (and last) 10 days of my Whole60 will be compliant, template meals, without snacks. Looking forward to reintroducing foods and will do so in a slow-roll fashion, because that's how I um roll ...

12:00pm
can sardines

3:45pm
turkey cranberry meatballs with orange aioli, crisp and sweet greens, velvety butternut squash
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp fat and spoonful coconut cream)
decaf espresso with c/a milk

D = 2 beef hot dogs, olives, and cream of tomato soup
(1.5 protein + 2 cups veggie + olives)

Day 51 

7:30am

B = 3 eggs, crisp and sweet greens, 1/2 avo
(1.5 protein + 1.5 cups veggie + 1/2 avo and oil in coffees)

9:00am
decaf espresson with almond milk and coconut oil

L = 3 beef hot dogs, mashed sweet potatoes with ghee and ras hanout
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + 1 tbsp fat)

D = 3 spicy tuna cakes + cream of tomato soup (forgot to bring fat)
(1.5 protein + 1.5 cups veggie)

S = Olives (to make up for missing fat at dinner)

Day 52 

espresso with almond milk and coconut oil

8:00am

8:15am
B = 3 spicy tuna cakes, broccoli, 1/2 avo
(1.5 protein + 1.25 cups veggie + 1/2 avo)

L= Kale crunch salad at True Foods, 4 oz chicken, 1/2 avo

decaf espresson with almond milk

5:45pm
D = baked chicken on salad greens with dump ranch
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + 4 tbsp ranch)

S = Grapefruit

Day 53 

B = 3 eggs fried in ghee, broccoli with extra ghee
decaf espresso with almond milk and coconut oil
(1.5 protein + 1 cup veggie + 1 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp coconut oil in espresso)

12:30pm
L = Spanish Cauli Rice with chicken and avocado

S = Rx Bar (still hungry)

Not hungry - decided to do IF until 7am tomorrow

Yesterday: Day 54

6:15am

B1 = 2 beef hot dogs dipped in dump ranch (mini meal on the road)
(1 protein + 2tbsp mayo based dip)

10:30am
B2 = Chewy Smoothie (grapefruit, apple, 2 small cucumbers, 2 handfuls greens in the blender with 2 tbsp flax seeds and 1 tbsp coconut oil)
(2 cups veggie + 3 tbsp fat)

1:45pm
L = Spanish Cauli Rice with chicken, olives, and avocado - two mandarin oranges
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + 1/4 avo and handful olives)

7:45pm
D = Crack Slaw with turkey and TJs Cruciferous Crunch with evoo, cucumber dipped in dump ranch, two mandarin oranges
(1.5 protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp fat)

One of the things I do to support myself - in staying compliant / preparing for reintroductions / burning more body fat - is to read the Forum, and other websites / forums to educate myself in all things Whole30, paleo, primal, LCHF, bulletproof coffee, strength training as I prepare to move into reintroductions.

After 54 days of no added sugar, alcohol, dairy, grains, or legumes, I thought I would be feeling amazing, and I'm not... my belly is bloated, I'm still not eliminating very well or very often, and my energy levels are ok - not sleepy and not super energized either. To be honest, I have felt lazy a lot lately...

In my reading, I have come across many posts from people experiencing some of the symptoms I am presently noticing - all having to do with the discovery that eating so clean is revealing other sensitivities to foods allowed on the Whole30. It has slowly dawned on me that this may be why I am not experiencing Whole30 bliss.

Even though I feel a tad defeated, I am grateful to know the probable cause and am willing to eat the lower FODMAP foods to see if it will help. 

I have been adding a lot more oils to my food to help move it through the body - and stimulate fat burning - but it hasn't helped. So I will be starting another experiment March 2nd - 31st with the lower FODMAP foods to see how my body responds. In the meantime, I will phase these foods out of my diet as I complete my Whole60. 

Day 55 - ate mostly lower FODMAP foods today. Also added cocoa to my coffee to see if it would stimulate movement :)

Also realized today that I added coconut milk to my Whole 60 from day 31 to day 52 (3 weeks), and then I switched to almond milk and coconut oil to add more fat and (hopefully) increase elimination. Wondering if I'm allergic to coconut milk? I have since learned that coconut oil is usually fine - so don't think that is an issue. 

My experiment of n = 1 is getting interesting!

B = 3 eggs fried in ghee with greens and ghee
(1.5 protein + 1.5 cup greens = 1 tbsp ghee)

11:30am
L = Leftover crack slaw with 2 handfuls kale added, and 1/2 red pepper and handful sugar snap peas dipped in dump ranch

decaf espresso with tbsp cocoa powder and almond milk

6:30pm
D = two mandarin oranges, roasted carrots, baked potato with 3 tbsp ghee, green bean and leftover ground turkey stir fry
(1.5 protein + 5 cups veggie + 3 tbsp fat)

Day 56

espresso with almond milk at cafe with M
B = 4 slices roast beef, sauteed veggies, olives
(1 protein + 1 cup veggies in oil + handful olives)

L = Chipotle carnitas, lettuce, salsa, guacamole
(1.5 protein + 2 cups veggie + lots of fat :)

5:30pm
decaf espresso with tbsp cocoa powder, almond milk, and coconut oil

D = spicy italian sausage, butternut squash with ras hanout and ghee, greens with ghee, and mandarin orange
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + 2 tbsp fat)

pre-B = banana

8:15am
B = 2 eggs fried in ghee, kale sauteed in ghee with extra ghee, 1 italian sausage
(2 protein + 1.5 cups veggies + 2 tbsp fat - ghee and coconut oil in espresso)

L = Zucchini, tomato, olive, spicy sausage dish
(1 protein + 2 cups veggie + handful olives)

2:30pm
beach stairs walk
Iced tea

7:30pm
D = 1/2 red bell pepper and small cucumber dipped in ranch, chile lime chicken burgers (2) with green chiles, guacamole, and roasted green beans and carrots
(2 protein + 3 cups veggie + 3 tbsp guac and 2 tbsp ranch)

Day 58

banana

B = 3 eggs poached in zucchini, tomato, olive, spicy sausage dish
espresso with cocoa, almond milk, and coconut oil
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + handful olives and oil in coffee)

L = 2 handfuls greens, 1 small cucumber, 2 chicken thighs, ranch dressing
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + 4 tbsp mayo) 

2:15pm
decaf espresso with cocoa and almond milk

7:15pm - no time for full dinner
D1 = 4 slices roast beef dipped in guacamole

9:15pm
D2 = 1/2 red pepper and small cucumber dipped in ranch
(1 protein + 1 cup veggie + 3 tbsp guac)

Day 59 - It's kinda surreal that tomorrow is Day 60 and I really don't want to change too much. My friend brought me cookies back from Hawaii, and I put them away for a rainy day... I have 4 bottles of wine in the house and no desire for it! Bought some oatmeal today for Wednesday's reintro. Don't have anything planned after that. Still not excited about giving up high FODMAP foods for 30 days, but grateful for the opportunity to figure out what is causing intestinal / elimination issues. For now, things seem to have subsided. Hoping the oatmeal will help :)

espresso with cocoa, almond milk, and coconut oil

B = 2 eggs poached in zucchini, tomato, olive, spicy sausage dish
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + handful olives and oil in coffee)

12:00pm
L = 2 chile lime chicken patties, sauteed kale, green chilies, and guacamole, with 1/2 red bell pepper with ranch dressing
(2 protein + 2 cups veggie + 4 tbsp fat

decaf espresso with almond milk and coconut oil

Rx Bar

Yogalates

D = 2 handfuls greens, 1 small cucumber, 1.5 chicken thighs, ranch dressing
(1.5 protein + 2 cups veggie + 3 tbsp mayo) 

Day 60 - 100% Compliant!!!

This is a HUGE accomplishment and I am so grateful for the journey. Excited to reach this point and feel ready for reintroductions. The next 30 days, March 2 - March 31, will be focused on a slow-roll re-introducation of foods I am considering adding to my current diet, AS WELL AS an elimination of High FODMAP foods. I will re-introduce those in April. Upon reflection, all issues experienced this last 30 days were very minor in nature - bloating and constipation - and they seem to have resolved themselves. I have cut back on the High FODMAP foods and removed coconut milk from my diet - temporarily. I have also added more veggies and fat - so not really sure which is responsible for bringing my body back into balance? 

I am also adding more strength training beginning today, March 1. Today's workout is the Beginner Body Weight Workout from Nerd Fitness:
  • 20 body weight squats x 2
  • 10 push ups (knee down) x 2
  • 20 walking lunges (10 each side) upped to 11 each side x 2
  • 10 dumbbell rows (laundry detergent bottle half full) - need more weight x 2
  • also added tricep extensions (10 each side) x 2
  • 15 second plank - held 30 seconds x 2
  • 30 Jumping Jacks x 2
I am also re-committing to a daily meditation practice. 30 minutes today :)

banana, 2 espresso with almond milk and coconut oil

9:30am
B = ground turkey and greens beans in coconut oil with Ras Hanout, 1/2 apple with 2 tbsp almond butter

L = Turkey burger with chiles, guacamole, and raw red pepper dipped in guac
(1.5 protein + 1.5 veggie + 3 tbsp guacamole)

9:00pm - didn't have time to eat between classes and didn't think eating my dinner after it sat in my car for 8 hours was a good idea :(
D = 3 hard-boiled eggs, seasoning salt and mayo, 2 clementines
(1.5 protein + 0 veggie + 2 tbsp mayo) 

Archived