Results I Hope to See:

• Better eating habits
  • More balanced digestive system
  • Weight loss
  • Improved skin
  • Decreased dependency on sugar and caffeine

Start Date: January 4, 2016

Day 0 - January 1

Today is sit down and plan day! I'm making a list of all the kitchen tools I'll be needing and meal planning. A little daunting of a task but a very important one!

Update: Meal planning is way harder than I expected. Once I finally pulled together a plan, I definitely needed a break. Now it's onto compiling my grocery list for the week. 

Hey There! I'm starting Jan 4th as well. This will be my second Whole 30 and I'm ready to get back to a healthy life style. I made alot of excuses for not eating healthy after I finished and now really want to get back on track. I don't mind eating the same thing so I'm going to have a kielbasa hash for breakfast all week, roast beef (applegate) lettuce roll ups and making some italian turkey soup and then grilled chicken once the soup runs out. I'm a bit nervous and a bit excited. I'm a stress eater and this is my busiest time of the year. Good luck!

Update: Meal planning is way harder than I expected. Once I finally pulled together a plan, I definitely needed a break. Now it's onto compiling my grocery list for the week. 

Final Updated of the Day: Meal plan, grocery list, and recipe list is all compiled together. Wow it was both stressful and relaxing. But I'm excited to get to the fun part!

I start the 4th and am perfectly happy to eat the same thing for several days in a row before I mix it up again to maintain some variety. You are farther along than I am in planning those meals though! Wishing you luck and good health. 

Julie

Hey There! I'm starting Jan 4th as well. This will be my second Whole 30 and I'm ready to get back to a healthy life style. I made alot of excuses for not eating healthy after I finished and now really want to get back on track. I don't mind eating the same thing so I'm going to have a kielbasa hash for breakfast all week, roast beef (applegate) lettuce roll ups and making some italian turkey soup and then grilled chicken once the soup runs out. I'm a bit nervous and a bit excited. I'm a stress eater and this is my busiest time of the year. Good luck!

I start Monday too. This will be my second Whole 30, and I'm excited to feel the way I did after my first one. After my first (last May/part of June), my doctor made me a copy of my blood tests results and instructed me to put them on the refrigerator and to keep doing what I was doing. I hope by spring that I will have those results again and will be a little more comfortable in my skin. Best of luck to you. I'd enjoy checking in with you and other Jan. 4th starters if you're interested. 

Julie

<insert a picture of me here one day>

About Me: 

• Name: Naomi
  • Height: 4'11"
  • Weight: 195-200lbs

Results I Hope to See:

• Better eating habits
  • More balanced digestive system
  • Weight loss
  • Improved skin
  • Decreased dependency on sugar and caffeine

Start Date: January 4, 2016

Welcome! This is my second Whole30.  I am doing a Whole90 this time around and started yesterday.  Good luck to you.  Looks like you are meal planning and trying to stay on top of things. Just remember,sometimes it is okay to just have a salad and some chicken.  LOL!  We don't always have to have an elaborate meal.  I make ahead hamburger patties for when I don't feel like cooking. I can easily throw it on the grill or in a cast iron pan. Super easy and just throw some veggies with it.  :) 

Thanks to all who have posted here for your support!

Day 0.5

Today was grocery shopping day. Just geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezz. It was not what I expected it to be. I probably should have eaten after work but I was so excited to have gotten out early enough to see some friends for once that I completely forgot and just hauled on over. Luckily, I had snacks in my car (not Whole30) to get me through. 

With my meal plan/grocery list/recipe compilation (It's a 6 page packet) and my new paper best friend, the Whole30 book, I started this task. Geez what a task it was. I expected to hop grocery stores, maybe one or two, but I ended up going to 5 different stores today to get through this list. I didn't even get everything, at some point I looked at the ingredient and looked at my recipe and went 'eh, not work the time or money and it's not a key thing'.

Store 1: Trader Joe's

I walked in this store prepared and good. I had done some research ahead of time and knew that I would find most of the compliant non-produce ingredients here. Mainly the clarified butter. In fact most of the cooking oils, vinegars, and mainly bottled/boxed items I bought here. Total Spent: $31.80

Store 2: Ross

Two essential cookware I needed were: baking sheets and a cast-iron skillet. No cast-iron skillet here but I did get a 3 pack of different sized baking sheets. I found out that they carried coconut oil here, slightly cheaper than Trader Joe's but I know that it won't consistently be on the shelves. Total Spent: $10.79

Store 3: 99 cent Only Store 

This 99 cent Only Store only recently opened up and my mother constantly would tell me when she found good ingredients there (yes, they're actually $0.99). They did have a produce section but the quality is what you would think of a dollar store. Nothing too amazing. Except they have portobella mushroom caps. Too good of a deal to pass up. I got some other produce that looked alright and some non-food items. Total spent: $10.01

Store 4: Vons (by this point I'm really pretty tired and hangry but still determined to get it all done and do it right)

This is the place where I did all my major shopping. The other stores I got 10 or less items at once, here I actually filled the cart up nicely. I'd say I got 90% of my produce here and the few canned items that I couldn't find anywhere else. I also got my protein here which is a new fun experience for me because I have never bought meat for myself (besides bacon, chicken nuggets, and frozen fish fillets) before. This is where I did a lot of "No I don't need this" and "I really don't want to pay this much for this item, let's see if there's a cheaper substitute". Next, I definitely want to be full and refreshed before I come to do this much shopping. Praise smartphones because I was on mine a lot checking to see if any additives were whole30 compliant or not. Total spent: $104.74

Store 5: Target

Last stop and I was really forcing myself to go but I needed one last thing: cast-iron skillet. Found a 10-inch one for under $20. Score. I also picked up some Chameleon Vanilla Cold Brew Coffee. Good, done. I was outta there. Total spent: $29.10

Overall Total: $186.44

Hooooooooooooooooly what. While I kinda expected to pay somewhere between $150 and $200, I was really hoping to be under $150. What I have learned from this shopping experience: stick with my asian grocery stores. I'm very lucky to live near asian supermarkets and they have great quality produce at a fraction of the cost of the most mainstream vendors. I am consoling myself knowing that a good portion of that money was cookware and also items that will be reused and used often. So here's to hoping that next week's shopping will be much cheaper.

Looking forward to tomorrow - cooking time!

Spent today on the couch. :/ Sick as a dog, but that won't deter me from starting tomorrow. I have to go into work as it is. I'm bummed that I was not able to go shopping but I think I can manage for tomorrow. Looking forward to getting  back into a healthy swing of things! 

I forgot to post a picture of my haul from yesterday! So here it all is:

post-83397-0-14964200-1451896085_thumb.j

Day 0.75

Meal prep day. 

First off, I have to say that I am very thankful that I have a lot of supportive friends when it comes to this because my mother is not. She is really putting a damper on my enthusiasm and her words put a lot of doubts in my head even when I know that this will help me. The main thing my mom says when she saw me cook and saw all my ingredients is: You're going to die this way. My family is riddled with health problems: diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, cancer...just a whole lot of things. So I understand her worry. That's why at every doctor's appointment I had, I'd ask for them to check if I was in the danger zone for diabetes and bad cholesterol. Last time I checked, June 2015, I was in the clear. Everything normal, in fact it wasn't even pre-danger zone. After that period of time I had eaten better an exercised more often. I'm not too worried. However, my mother insists that all the consumption of fruit, fats, and eggs I'm potentially consuming this month will just case me to keel over. It's unrealistic. She preaches: "Just stop eating sugars and carbohydrates and you'll lose weight. That's all you need to do." This isn't just about my weight. It's about a plethora of issues that I deemed normal and find that maybe...they're not. It's about building habits so that this body journey of mine will become much easier. As much as I try to explain to her that, she just shakes her head, sighs, and says I'm going to kill myself with this. Then she follows up by giving me disapproving glances as I struggle to prep all my food. 

I'm not a chef. I never really learned how to cook because when I tried, my parents would take over. So I'm just now learning everything and yeah,it's hard and exhausting and I don't know how to do things or the easier tricks. I'm learning. 

I got everything done though. Every item I said I would cook today, I did.

It took me five hours to make gazpacho and a sweet potato bisque. I'm pretty that even though I followed the recipes, I made more servings than suggested. I honestly felt like I was going a little crazy trying to balance my time with boiling this, chopping up that, which items could I use a knife on rather than using the food processor. And all the dish washing....my poor hands. The gazpacho I think I'll need something and the first thing that came to mind was bread. Oops. That's not happening. I'll figure it out some other time. I'm very satisfied with the sweet potato bisque. I'm not a huge fan of coconut but I think I have no choice but to convert over for the Whole30. 

After that I went out to IKEA with some friends and had my last no-care lunch for awhile. I definitely need that break. 

The moment I was home though, it was right back into meal prepping.

This time, it went much smoother. My mother didn't bother me as much beyond the head shaking and telling me that I was messing up her kitchen. That took another five hours. Portobello mushroom buns with beef patty and caramelized onions for my boyfriend and I for lunch. I'm packing some salmon and vegetables to make at his place for dinner. Finally I made chicken meatballs (WHICH ARE BOMB. I'M TOTALLY MAKING THAT MORE OFTEN) and a tangy bbq sauce. Definitely looking forward to that meal. 

Despite the emotional and mental hiccups, I'm very happy that I got through it though. Moaning and groaning the whole time (my feet were so achy). I have a good support system otherwise. With their words of encouragement, I know I can get through this. Hopefully next week will be easier.

It's Whole30 time. 

Hi DesirelyD, I really enjoyed your posts too. Just wanted to say I hope your first day is going well. I also started today. Post in the cooking forum if you have questions--I really admire that you're doing this and learning to cook at the same time!

PS--if you did make too much of the sweet potato bisque, freeze some of it in individual portions--it will be great to have in the freezer when you need a carb in your meal! (Just make sure you leave some room at the top of the container since the soup will expand when you freeze it.)

Talk about emotional hiccups.... I'm a little OCD and want everything to be perfect and today was not. I hate not having a plan and today was not a great start.  I did not already have breakfast already planned because the store that carries Penderson Farm was out. :( I had a hard time recovering, but had some fruit, avocado and egg. Not quite what I wanted, but I'm going to have to roll with the punches. Lunch was good- potato, salad, grilled chicken. Tonight I did a foil pack of chicken and veggies. The jalapeño that I chopped in to give it a kick really spiced it up and I truly enjoyed it. I went ahead and prepped my soup for this week.  My hubby was very supportive and encouraging. I think I might have already derailed if it hadn't been for him or La Croix!!!   :rolleyes:

Will go to another town to find Penderson Farm or applegate products tomorrow after work. Hope everyone had a successful Day #1... Hey, we are one step closer. 

Keep up the good work desirelyD! I am not much of a cook myself but since doing my first whole 30 august 2014 my skills have vastly improved and I have a ton more confidence in the kitchen! The little things do become easier the more you do them I swear. Just stick with it. And I'm sure it's hard when your mom doesn't really get what you are doing. But you know you are on the right track. She will come around once she sees how well things are going for you I'm sure!

Talk about emotional hiccups.... I'm a little OCD and want everything to be perfect and today was not. I hate not having a plan and today was not a great start.  I did not already have breakfast already planned because the store that carries Penderson Farm was out. :( I had a hard time recovering, but had some fruit, avocado and egg. Not quite what I wanted, but I'm going to have to roll with the punches. Lunch was good- potato, salad, grilled chicken. Tonight I did a foil pack of chicken and veggies. The jalapeño that I chopped in to give it a kick really spiced it up and I truly enjoyed it. I went ahead and prepped my soup for this week.  My hubby was very supportive and encouraging. I think I might have already derailed if it hadn't been for him or La Croix!!!   :rolleyes:

Will go to another town to find Penderson Farm or applegate products tomorrow after work. Hope everyone had a successful Day #1... Hey, we are one step closer. 

I really don't think I would have survived meal prep day without a plan. It's really important! I would look into alternative brands, google is your friend. When I went shopping, for items that were super important, I had at least two places in mind that I was 90% certain would carry it. That's probably why it took me a whole day to plan it all out. 

Day 1

Whoo! Day one. I woke up later than I would have liked so I had to pack everything in a rush. I ate my sweet potato bisque at my desk and some raw almonds. Grazing is one of the worst habits I picked up from working a desk job. Grazing and chewing gum were two of my fool-proof strategies for staying awake at work but now both of those are eliminated, so we'll see how things go. Luckily, the cold brew coffee I got is delicious and I have no problems drinking that black. 

I had lunch with my boyfriend and I was very happy to have some time away from my house. We ate portobella mushroom beef patty burger with some caramelized onions. Got a thumbs up from him and he said he might steal the recipe. Awesome. I also met his new cat and fell in love with that handsome furry fellow. 

For dinner I baked some salmon and sauteed asparagus, onions, and zucchini. Burnt the salmon skin a little and it ended up drier than I would have liked but at least it wasn't completely ruined. My boyfriend said that I cooked the asparagus perfectly. Huge compliment to me since that's one vegetable I'm not familiar with cooking myself. 

All in all good first day...but I miss bread already. Time to get ready for day two~

DesirelyD, your menu for day 1 sounds delicious! And your boyfriend sounds great too. I also have used food and gum-chewing to stay awake at my desk job (as well as to make boring tasks interesting), and it is indeed a tough habit to break. I treated myself to lots of nice herbal teas as a replacement, and I have to say that after my first W30 last year, it's pretty rare that I chew gum anymore (except in airplanes).

Good luck with Day 2! 

Day 2

You know how in the book it says day 2 will be tired and full of headaches? Yeah. So true. 1000000000% true. 

This entire day, I have felt tired. Like that deep in your bones kind of tired. I haven't felt this kind of tired since I worked 12+ hours shifts that started at 4am. I don't want to go back there again. Nothing was keeping me up. Not coffee, not trap music, not a new audio book, or not even some racy podcasts. Horrid. Just horrid. It didn't help that we had unexpected overtime. 

But the chicken meatballs with mixed spring greens and tangy bbq sauce were perrrrrfect. Can't wait to have it again tomorrow. 

However today, I had planned to do another helping of portobello mushroom with beef patty burgers but I didn't buy enough mushrooms. Oops. With some quick thinking I decided to do some beef meatballs with the gazpacho. That was really freaking good. Go me for that quick thinking. I didn't use the whole pound of beef and the other half will be going on the bangin' bunless burgers for tomorrow. 

Short post because honestly I want to get into bed as soon as possible. Good luck to all who read this!

Overall Total: $186.44

Hooooooooooooooooly what. While I kinda expected to pay somewhere between $150 and $200, I was really hoping to be under $150. What I have learned from this shopping experience: stick with my asian grocery stores. I'm very lucky to live near asian supermarkets and they have great quality produce at a fraction of the cost of the most mainstream vendors. I am consoling myself knowing that a good portion of that money was cookware and also items that will be reused and used often. So here's to hoping that next week's shopping will be much cheaper.

I thought the same thing when I went shopping! Luckily I stocked up on meat when one of our stores (Lowe's Foods) was having a MAJOR meat sale and I got about 10lbs of Sweet Potatoes at Thanksgiving time when they were like 24 cents a pound. Otherwise, buying all new oils and seasonings on top of all the produce...I had a very similar reaction. But you're right in thinking that next time will be cheaper :)

I started my Whole30 on 1/4 as well. This morning was rough, but I felt better after I ate breakfast! 

I am going to have to try the cold brew coffee that you mention. It sounds fantastic :) Good luck today!!

Day # 3- I survived... so far... I do not know what's gotten into me lately, but I've had some bumps in the road. Last night, I finally prepped my lunch for this week- A nice Kiehlbasa hash that I've had before and absolutely LOVE and I left it at home. Luckily, I was able to get up in time and have a nice breakfast. Otherwise, it could have been very hard. I find myself already waking up refreshed and ready to go, but I too, struggled with some headaches throughout the day (DAY #2). Today, I was lucky and able to swing by Tom Thumb for some applegate deli meat, nuts, mustard, and salad to help me get through my forgetfulness. I am having a bit of tummy trouble and I hate to admit it-constipation. I didn't have this last go around and I am thinking it's because I'm not taking my Align or probiotic. That is the first thing on my to do list for this weekend because Costco always has Align in bulk. 

I know I want this because.... a sweet student (I'm a teacher)  bought me 'gluten free' chocolate chip cookies. Man was it rough. I had them sitting on my desk because I did not want to offend her and then threw it away when they left for P.E.  They kept staring up at me, begging me to take a bite...I swore at one point, the chips started talking... But hey, if I can beat that  dreaded SUGAR MONSTER staring at me,  I got this!!!

The hubster and I will repeat our soup again with a salad. I bought Tessmae "balsamic" dressing since I was a little short on time this weekend, but after it's out I look forward to making my own. :) ) The hubster has been VERY helpful at reminding me how well I felt when I did it last time, so that positivity is helping. I'm looking forward to the weekend so I can prep and plan the heck out of this and get back on track. This spur of the moment stuff does not sit well with me. *breathe.. just breathe* Hope everyone is having a wonderful Wednesday and has some great success stories. :D  

I keep telling myself it's a journey and there will be bumps. I'm just glad I know what's ahead of me.  :)

Schedule

Schedule

Day 3

Today went much better. I didn't have insane tiredness nor headaches. Just a regular energy level. I had some extra time this morning so I made scrambled eggs, put some gazpacho on it, and tapatio. Yum. 

Lunch was another helping of those chicken meatballs but I added way more bbq sauce.

Dinner I had some bunless burgers with a fried egg on top. Eggs make a lot of things better

And today was also my first day of the new year in the gym. I wanted to go yesterday, but I was too tired and we got out of work really late. I almost didn't go today because we had gotten both flood and tornado alerts in my area. When I left for work the weather seemed good enough and I was getting that itch from having spent so much time away from the gym. 

In preparing my meal for tomorrow, cod with roasted peppers and mushrooms, I've discovered I don't really like working with cod. It was harder for me to tell when it was fully cooked and I think I'll just finish the bag (I got frozen fillets). I'll look into more fish options for next week. I've already marked some recipes and I think during my breaks tomorrow I'll really hone in on what I want to do.

Day 4

Today was was one of my coworker's birthday and guess what was hanging out in the break room all day? Cupcakes. 

I had definitely had to stare them down and make them submit to my will of not looking so delicious. The temptation was strong but I showed it who's in charge.

Breakfast was sweet potato bisque again and it's just too sweet for me to have everyday. I'm just going to have to find a different soup or wake up earlier so I can fry up some eggs real quick. 

Cod with roasted red peppers and mushroom over a spring mesclum salad for lunch. Very satisfying but I definitely put in way too much ginger. I had the second portion for dinner and then I whipped up more chicken meatballs. Chicken meatballs with likely make it into next week's meal plan. 

Speaking of next week's meal plan, I've been meaning to start making it during my breaks at work but something always end up happening where I get pulled away. Ugh. Not enough hours in the week and I really need to sit down and plan it out. I need to simplify my plans more so that I'm not going crazy on the cooking all the time.

Second day at the gym and yeah, a little achey. It's been awhile but thankfully not long enough that I'd have to move down on my weights. I'm definitely more an iron-pumper than a cardio bunny. But you gotta do both!

I've already noticed some changes in my digestion. I am farting way way less. TMI? Too bad, I will talk about all kinds of things my body with expel from itself. I come from a medical family and this sort of talk was pretty normal. Back to the point, yes, farting less. That is awesome. I've always felt guilty about being that person that lets one out and I can't always get to the restroom in time to release. That's one digestive concern that I've been wanting to address. I've also been burping less, while less disgusting, is still not cute to do so often. And thirdly (last chance to stop reading) my poops have been awesome. They come out cleanly and are less odorous. I feel like I'm actually expelling the full load in one sitting. Clean up is better.

Overall - Joy to my bowels! 

Day 5

Oops, late post.

Wow I'm achey. Achey achey achey. Guess I shouldn't have done that last set of squats. I was definitely toddling around the office a bit, especially if I've sat for too long. 

I've noticed that I've only been drinking one cup of coffee everyday which is great! Usually, I'll make one cup before I start, another cup at morning break, and one more at the end of lunch. Sometimes, if I'm still dozing or just sluggish, I'll get another cup. All of these cups have creamer in them. Either Lucerne's lactose-free (I'm lactose intolerant) or half-n-half. Yeah, four cups a day is pretty bad. But with this cold brew concentrate I'm using 2-3 ounces of that and then diluting it with water and that's it. That one cup will last me all day (except on day 2 but my energy was way different that day). So I'm feeling pretty good about that.

I've slowly cut down on grazing. I tried to cold turkey quit, but that's something really hard. So my goal is to just slowly graze less throughout the day. Replace the grazing food with a legitimate snack (I usually go for bananas). 

I was pretty achey after work but I decided to go to the gym anyway. I wasn't able to get in as much work as I wanted to because I was just so achey. Normally, I'd take ibuprofen but I realized that most ibuprofen has corn starch in it and so I'll have to find some tylenol to carry with me. 

Now it's Saturday and I have time to really make myself some breakfast, yay!

Archived