Whole30ing through San Francisco!

snatches paleo

Whole30 # 5, let's do it!

I'm going to document all the compliant things I find in my beautiful city, both at its wonderful restaurants, and ready to eat things in grocery stores.

My unique challenge this time is that I'll be living out of my car for the first 1/3 of it. Never fear - if I can Whole30 in a zombie apocalypse, this should be a breeze!

I work at Whole Foods, so 5 days a week I can find no-sugar-added things either microwaveable or ready to eat. A small amount of fridge space is available.

Yesterday honestly wasn't the best, but it was still Whole30 compliant. I had a coffee blended with coconut oil. I had a few ounces of plain chicken from the salad bar and an apple. I had a little saurkraut, some baby carrots, a few tablespoons of almond butter, and some fruit. I got a few pieces of salmon sashimi from an udon restaurant nearby.

Today, Day 2, my challenge is finding cleaner protein and increasing veggies.

Spinnerie on Polk St (corner of Pine) has awesome salads with yummy rotisserie proteins, and you can easily make substitutions.

I ordered the kabocha curry from House of Thai on Larkin, and instead of rice, had half of it over a bag of frozen veggies that I steamed in the microwave. The other half, I had for dinner that night over a sweet potato I microwave-baked and mashed with a fork.

I'm eating too many nuts, though. I probably end up having half a cup throughout each day because ready to eat protein is hard to come by. I'll have a kitchen soon, though!

I'm in the East Bay and visited the city yesterday to do brunch and Beach Blanket Babylon with my girlfriends. The original plan - made by me so I could stay on plan - was brunch at Mama's (Washington Square), but there was an epic line when we got there. We ended up at Original Joe's and I had the grilled Salmon salad - no dressing, I brought my own - and it was hella good!! Kinda pricey, but decent range for good city eating. 

Archived