Elle's Whole Life {2016}

ElleKay

January 4, 2016 begins the first day of my first Whole30 Challenge. I will be posting every day to stay on track and would love any support, comments, advice that you may have!

The format of my daily posts will be similar to another Whole30 logger I found on this forum. It was a great, simple, and quick daily post format:

• Date:
  • Did I eat Whole30 compliant today?
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks?
  • How did I feel today?

I will be roughly following a meal plan as outlined by the blogger Hiking in Stilettos (http://hikinginstilettos.blogspot.com/2013/12/monday-meal-planning-whole30-janurary.html)

My inspirational quote for this challenge is:

STRENGTH:

Anyone can workout for an hour, but to control what goes on your plate for the other 23 hours...that's hard work

I have al​ways been very disciplined with exercise and working out but I have struggled with fueling it properly. This will be a psychological and emotional challenge, but I am so excited to see how my body and emotional relationship with food will change over the month.

Prepping for this challenge is important to me, as I am a newbie to this type of eating and I don't want to accidently get off track.

Here is how I have prepared (as outline on the Whole30 website):

• {Step 1: What is the Whole 30}

• An opportunity to break my dependence on fake foods (sugar free, fat free etc.) and

• Define my “Why”: Because I have taken my body for granted, not treated it well, and developed a love/hate relationship with food and a dependence on fake foods.

• {Step 2: Read the Program}

• I have read the Whole 30 website and am currently reading It Starts with Food and Whole 30

• Goal: to finish reading these books

• {Step 3: Commit}

• Start date January 4, 2016

• {Step 4: Build Your Support Network}

• I have recruited my sister to do it with me

• Told my family about the challenge

• Started a log on the Whole30 website

• Goal: Be open with coworkers and friends about my goals

• {Step 5: Get Your House Ready}

• Tomorrow I will clean out my kitchen of ALL Whole30 uncompliant food ESCPECIALLY sugar free, low fat, fat free foods that have been polluting my kitchen

•  {Step 6: Plan for Success}
    • Note dates/events in my calendar that could present a challenge for my dedication to the Whole30

• I will bring food/snacks with me to events if necessary or food to share!

• Tell friends about the challenge and that I am experimenting with my body for the following reasons: insomnia, energy levels, triathlon training success

• {Step 7: Toss that Scale}

• That’s a tough one for me...but I did NOT weight myself before the challenge. I did take before pictures and I will gauge my success by my energy levels, body feel and emotional status

• {Step 8: Do the Who​le30!}

• Time to start this thang..woot

• “You are what you eat..so don’t be fast, cheap, easy, or fake”

• Moderators

Hi, Elle! Congratulations on starting your Whole30.

I just wanted to double check that you know that just because something on some website somewhere says something is Whole30, that doesn't necessarily mean it is. For instance, that chicken pot pie recipe as written contains peas, which are legumes, which are not allowed on Whole30.  The paleo crackers she lists as snacks would also fall under the no baked goods rule, and smoothies are frowned on. You may already realize all of this and have made changes to address this, but since you linked to the meal plan, I wanted to be sure. 

• Date: 1/5/16

• Did I eat Whole30 compliant today? Yes

Did I have cravings/snack attacks? Post-dinner snack attack. Felt like I needed something sweet!

How did I feel today? A little hungry...probably because I worked out in the A.M.

Thank you for this Shannon! I did look into this more and realized that it wasn't strictly Whole30..so I changed my plan and will not be following those recipes. I really appreciate you looking out for me!

Hi, Elle! Congratulations on starting your Whole30.

I just wanted to double check that you know that just because something on some website somewhere says something is Whole30, that doesn't necessarily mean it is. For instance, that chicken pot pie recipe as written contains peas, which are legumes, which are not allowed on Whole30.  The paleo crackers she lists as snacks would also fall under the no baked goods rule, and smoothies are frowned on. You may already realize all of this and have made changes to address this, but since you linked to the meal plan, I wanted to be sure. 

DAY 5!

• Date: January 8, 2016
  • Did I eat Whole30 compliant today? Yes...but I felt like I was trying to cheat the system haha
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? POPCORN!! ALL THE POPCORN
  • How did I feel today? Like this challenge isn't what I want to do. BUT I WILL COMPLETE IT! it's only day 5 for goodness sake

DAY 10!

• Date: 1/13
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? Just craving my delicious salad! Yummy avocado is my friend! love it
  • How did I feel today? Never got hungry. protein is really amazing...very fortifying!

DAY 11!

• Date: 1/14
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? I keep eating fruit/coconut after dinner EVERY single night b/c i'm so trained to want something sweet after dinner. I was reading the whole30 and how even if you're eating something healthy, the act of satisfying that craving is still reinforcing that bad habit. I think i'll try to have my apple as a snack during another part of the day, then eat a solid dinner, and end the night with tea. CHALLENGE!
  • How did I feel today? Hangry.

• Moderators

DAY 11!

• Date: 1/14
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? I keep eating fruit/coconut after dinner EVERY single night b/c i'm so trained to want something sweet after dinner. I was reading the whole30 and how even if you're eating something healthy, the act of satisfying that craving is still reinforcing that bad habit. I think i'll try to have my apple as a snack during another part of the day, then eat a solid dinner, and end the night with tea. CHALLENGE!
  • How did I feel today? Hangry.

You might try having olives or pickles or sauerkraut at the end of your meal -- like make it your last bite or two. It kind of replaces the sweet, but feels like an end to the meal as well, if that makes sense. Or if you have a meal where you just want to have some fruit with it, it helps me to make sure that the fruit isn't the last thing I eat from the meal. So, I might slice up an apple with my meal, but I make sure I finish the last slice of apple while there's still a few bites of other food to eat. It's not dessert-y that way, just a part of dinner, because sometimes I just want an apple.

DAY 12!

• Date: 1/15
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? I felt like a snack, started eating, then realized I wasn't hungry, so I put it away! woot for progress
  • How did I feel today? My stomach loves this

DAY 13!

• Date: 1/16
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? Not really. Craving my bk sausage in the morning. For once, I'm not craving sweet for breakfast. still do at night. and still wanting fruit after dinner.
  • How did I feel today? pretty good...disappointed that I'm not seeing any changes in my body

Missed a few days (of tracking, that is...) But I have been faithfully eating Whole30. Just been too busy to write it up here. Sorry! So today marks...

DAY 20!

• Date: 1/23
  • Did I eat Whole30 compliant today? YES
  • Did I have cravings/snack attacks? a lil' bit of a craving for chips. Made plantain chips though! Delish
  • How did I feel today? Ate the whole 30 recommended pre-workout meal and it was perfect. I  was running a 5k this morning, so I wanted to feel fueled but not stuffed...ate 1/2 a chicken sausage and a teaspoon of cashew butter. No side aches!

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 30!

Wow! I can't believe this month is over already...I missed posting for a while. But I didn't ever go off track of my whole 30. This included some difficult times where I had to refuse food in a social situation. But it was fine! I'd like to spend today thinking over and writing out my non-scale successes and how I plan on doing my reintroduction week(s). Let's finish this thing strong!

Archived