How to drink tea on Whole30???

michpro210

I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow, and usually drink three cups of tea at work to curb hunger. I typically have English Breakfast tea, with one sugar packet and some almond milk. I tried making tea today without adding either the milk or sugar and it was GROSS!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to supplement tea so I can continue to drink it? As an aside, I don't have the means of making my own almond milk and am not sure where to find some that is Whole30 approved. 

I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow, and usually drink three cups of tea at work to curb hunger.

You've gotten some good advice on tea, but I'm struggling a little with your reason for drinking it. Why do you need to curb hunger during the day at work? If you are eating enough at mealtime--including protein and good fat, along with lots of vegetables--you should not be hungry outside of meal times. If you are hungry, we recommend having a snack with at least two of the elements above (protein and fat, or fat and vegetable or vegetable and protein). don't resist your own bodies signals. If you are hungry, eat.

Buy quality loose leaf tea and you'll discover much more delicious flavors!

Good tea doesn't require sugar or milk, and bagged teas are notorious for poor quality (more dust than actual tea leaves).

There are some lovely flavors over at http://www.artoftea.com/.

If you have the option of a good asian market check out their tea selection.  Otherwise I have found a good black tea to be highly palatable and slightly "sweet"  with no sweetners or additives of course.  It has a great flavor . Hope that helps!

Makes sense and I see your point. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel once I start, and maybe I won't need it anymore. But regardless, I do like drinking tea outside of work as well, so it's good for me to know what my options are!

The hunger-between-meals thing is something to address, as @missmary pointed out, but also drinking water can help too, for a few reasons: thirst signals can be misinterpreted as hunger, water contributes to a "full stomach" feeling, and it would still serve as a beverage to maintain the ritual (replacing the tea habit, but also serving as a break from work, get up and refill your water bottle, reset your focus, etc)

There's no reason you can't use the bulletproof coffee method for hot tea! Brew your black tea, then add a spoonful of clarified butter or ghee, and/or coconut oil, then emulsify it in the blender. This will create a nice creamy/frothy texture, AND give you that healthy fat boost that will keep your brain function up and hunger satiated.

Although, this would not be good three times in the afternoon, it could be part of a healthy snack when combined with a protein source and/or some veggies.

I know the "plop some fat into my drink" sounds bizarre but I truly enjoy it, and it works well within the W30 boundaries when used appropriately - here's some science if you're interested.

Thanks for the coffee tip, I added coconut oil to mine the other day but it just left a film of oil in it.  Blech.  I didn't realize I need to blend it.

As for tea, I drink green tea with mint in it.  You get the hit of green tea taste but then the mint takes over leaving your mouth feeling minty.

Buy quality loose leaf tea and you'll discover much more delicious flavors!

Good tea doesn't require sugar or milk, and bagged teas are notorious for poor quality (more dust than actual tea leaves).

There are some lovely flavors over at http://www.artoftea.com/.

I second this, get yourself some nice Darjeeling tea if you can get it no milk required. 

When I went on vacation to Seattle in October with my best friend, we went to Teavana and bought about $130 worth of tea. My favorite so far is the "Spice of Life" it's got cardamom, coriander, white tea leaves, cinnamon sticks, coconut flakes, and dehydrated apple chunks in it. 

If you try green or white teas, make sure you brew them at lower temps and for shorter times than black or herbal teas. Green and white teas are much more delicate and can scald and become bitter and burnt tasting if brewed in water that is too hot, or if allowed to steep too long. Both should be brewed at about 175 degrees. Green tea should be steeped for only about 1-2 minutes, and white for 2-3 minutes. Flavored teas should be steeped on the longer end of the scale, plain teas on the shorter end of the scale.  Oolong and black tea should be steeped at about 195 degrees for 2-3 minutes, and herbal and rooibos teas can be steeped in water just off the boil (208-210 degrees) for 5-6 minutes.

When I went on vacation to Seattle in October with my best friend, we went to Teavana and bought about $130 worth of tea. My favorite so far is the "Spice of Life" it's got cardamom, coriander, white tea leaves, cinnamon sticks, coconut flakes, and dehydrated apple chunks in it. 

Speaking of Teavana - a few of my favourite teas from there contain "natural flavouring" ... does anyone know if this is alright? I've tried contacting Teavana, and still have yet to receive a reply  :( 

• Moderators

Speaking of Teavana - a few of my favourite teas from there contain "natural flavouring" ... does anyone know if this is alright? I've tried contacting Teavana, and still have yet to receive a reply  :( 

Natural flavoring is allowed on Whole30. 

Have you tried adding lemon to your tea? I drink mostly green tea and usually add a splash of lemon or lime juice.

I also agree that you may not need the tea to curb your hunger anymore, while I'm doing whole30 I actually tend to have a lack of appetite.

I'm a fan of the green tea with lemon as well, I enjoy coffee too, and for the past week I've been weaning myself of it, cold turkey before I start Whole30 so my head doesn't think I miss it. I tend to flavor it up with artificial sugars and creamers which I've known for a long time that are just bad for me. So, I'm stopping the coffee and sticking with my tea and a splash of lemon or lime. I hope it works in the long-run.

Natural flavors are fine. LaCroix sparkling water is endorsed by Whole30 and it has natural flavors.

Archived