Whole90

falcon

I'm on my first whole30 (then 90) after a life of bad decisions. Day 10 for me but not physically feeling "better". Really liking the food and I'm so glad that I'm making the right decisions for once in my life, but physically just feeling big and yuck. All part of it right?

It might take longer. I think I read that it could take a couple weeks to start getting that "feeling better" feeling. Trying to remember what I felt like around that time when I did my first Whole30 and I think I was ready to quit because my pants were getting tighter and I was sure I was gaining weight. I came on the forums and was freaking out and a couple of the moderators calmed me down and told me that was pretty normal and they were right. Not long after that, my pants started to loosen up and I could totally tell I was losing weight and inches. Don't know if this helps....

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9/90 here, and cruising pretty much fine.

Biggest battle right now is figuring out correct portion sizes for my mealtimes. I am eating pretty much as much as I can at each meal, but still getting a little stomach growly between meals. But funny, no other part of me is hungry- I'm not lightheaded or otherwise lacking in energy. If my stomach wasn't physically rumbling, I wouldn't identify it as hunger at all.

Are you getting enough fat with each meal? How about water intake? I know when I did my first go round, I was like "I cannot physically eat anymore and I'm not hungry! Why do I have to eat when I'm not hungry?" They (the moderators) patiently explained to me that you have to have correct portions, minimally, in order to feed your body. I am wondering if you maybe aren't getting the minimal portion size? I know, for instance, I was shocked to learn that 2 eggs for protein in the morning wasn't gonna cut it, that 4 eggs was the portion size if that was my only source of protein for that meal. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for you. Good luck!!

Thanks- yeah, it must be what I'm eating- I'm making an effort to get a legit serving of fat (guac or olives or nuts or sunbutter) in addition to whatever healthy fats I've cooked with. But maybe I need to up to what I think is a little more than necessary?

I'm a little stymied, because this go-round I'm trying to be good about having 1-3 servings of veg per meal when I can. Learning to love more veggies than just my standbys has been a challenge, but that's part of why I want to do 90- to give my palate time to adjust. But eating all that veg means less of the other things I guess. It's an odd equation, because last 30s I knew I wasn't eating enough veg.

Time to tweak the proportions I guess. I definitely can't eat any *more* at meals, that much I know!

Thanks- yeah, it must be what I'm eating- I'm making an effort to get a legit serving of fat (guac or olives or nuts or sunbutter) in addition to whatever healthy fats I've cooked with. But maybe I need to up to what I think is a little more than necessary?

I'm a little stymied, because this go-round I'm trying to be good about having 1-3 servings of veg per meal when I can. Learning to love more veggies than just my standbys has been a challenge, but that's part of why I want to do 90- to give my palate time to adjust. But eating all that veg means less of the other things I guess. It's an odd equation, because last 30s I knew I wasn't eating enough veg.

Time to tweak the proportions I guess. I definitely can't eat any *more* at meals, that much I know!

As an example, I routinely eat 1/4 avocado with breakfast. Lunch is a bit trickier for me, but it helps if I have some veggies cooked with ghee and lots of it! Dinner, homemade mayo ranch on my salad or more cooked veggies with lots of ghee. I found the most scrumptious ghee ever! It's called Ancient Organics 100% Ghee from grass fed cows. It's pricey, but it rocks! Have you tried roasted veggies? They are the bomb and I even eat brussels sprouts when they are roasted! Then slather ghee all over them and it's good. I had a hard time on my first go round thinking I was eating too much fat, but that's not usually the case. Of course we have to have some moderation, but as long as it's approved fat, like coconut oil, etc. we are sort of golden. 

Pretty much all my veggies are roasted - I use mostly coconut or avocado oil, sometimes ghee. Occasionally olive oil, but I find that the veggies don't crisp up enough when I use EVOO.

Just made my own ghee for the first time, using Kerrygold. So easy - I don't think i'll ever go back to buying it.

Today I added some sunbutter to breakfast, so we'll see if that helps.  Will try both olives AND guac with lunch.

Love roasted veggies!!!!! I just drizzle EVOO on mine and I like them best with fresh herbs sprinkled over them. Yum. 
I made some clarified butter with kerrygold a couple years ago. I gotta say it seemed kind of bland to me, maybe it's just me. I know lots of stores like Trader Joes sell clarified butter and label it as ghee. According to the ghee gods, it's not the same thing. Anyway, I'm no expert, but my taste buds are in love with the rich, carmely, buttery goodness of Ancient Organics. 
I will be interested to hear how your day goes after adding in more fat! Let me know, ok?

I really do use the two terms (clarified butter / ghee) interchangably, but maybe I'll try your brand and see if I can taste a difference?

I will be interested to hear how your day goes after adding in more fat! Let me know, ok?

Well, it's lunchtime and I'm not hungry for lunch....at all. So ha! We shall see how this proceeds...

I really do use the two terms (clarified butter / ghee) interchangably, but maybe I'll try your brand and see if I can taste a difference?

Well, it's lunchtime and I'm not hungry for lunch....at all. So ha! We shall see how this proceeds...

Great!!! Not hungry? So how did the rest of the day go? I think you'll like the ghee I told you about, however, it is pricey. I have to get mine off Amazon cause I live in the sticks. But don't go by me. You do what works for you. I just thought the kind we made on our own..clarified butter, had no flavor. I might have done something wrong, who knows.

Rest of the day went great- I think maybe the additional portion of fat might be helping.

I'm crushed, but 10/90 was yesterday, and Sunday is going to have to be 1/90 again. Long story, but the degree of inconvenience to a special friend visiting from the west coast (we're going to NYC together, she's never been there) is more than I'm willing to bear socially, so I'm as compliant as possible but will have to start again when I get back Sunday. Hopefully I won't go off the rails too badly (not planning to!) and will bounce back to feeling good pretty quickly.

I tell you, that first banana after ten days was a taste revelation this morning. Wow.

Rest of the day went great- I think maybe the additional portion of fat might be helping.

I'm crushed, but 10/90 was yesterday, and Sunday is going to have to be 1/90 again. Long story, but the degree of inconvenience to a special friend visiting from the west coast (we're going to NYC together, she's never been there) is more than I'm willing to bear socially, so I'm as compliant as possible but will have to start again when I get back Sunday. Hopefully I won't go off the rails too badly (not planning to!) and will bounce back to feeling good pretty quickly.

I tell you, that first banana after ten days was a taste revelation this morning. Wow.

That's unfortunate about having to start over, but I get it. Don't beat yourself up too much. I notice you said that you had a banana after not having one for 10 days. I don't think bananas are restricted unless you have issues with overconsumption or they awaken your "sugar dragon". Of course, if you are really trying to lose weight, they are higher on the glycemic index, so not over consuming is a good idea. Here is an article I found that you might be interested in, if you haven't already read it.

http://whole30.com/2015/01/rules-recommendations/

And yay for getting the fat consumption down!!! 

So, I'm guessing you won't be on here for a couple days? Have fun in NYC!!

I'm in.

This after having  completed one  successful 30 before (which was transformational to my ideas about food.)

Today is  Day 7 of my Whole90,  and I'm feeling pretty good and not having any issues.

I am also recovering from a pretty major surgery three weeks ago, and hoping that eating clean and avoiding the unhealthy stuff will help with healing.

So far, it's all so good.  Last whole30, I really struggled....struggled!....without cream in my coffee.  It got easier, but it was always whispering in the back of my head, such a temptation.  

I am amazed to find that I am completely satisfied with black coffee now.  So wonderful!

That's it for now, I am glad to have found you guys.

Hi, I'm Andrea and I'm in on the whole 90.  This is day five for me.  I did a whole 30 that ended mid December... I had great on and off scale victories but 30 days was not enough to cement good eating habits after a lifetime of bad eating habits.  

The start of this has been easier for me with fewer cravings (although the ones I have had have been fierce).  At the end of the last whole30 I vowed not to go back to diet coke but during "the break" I had some.  Time to try again.

Looking forward to being accountable with this crowd.

I'm in.

This after having  completed one  successful 30 before (which was transformational to my ideas about food.)

Today is  Day 7 of my Whole90,  and I'm feeling pretty good and not having any issues.

I am also recovering from a pretty major surgery three weeks ago, and hoping that eating clean and avoiding the unhealthy stuff will help with healing.

So far, it's all so good.  Last whole30, I really struggled....struggled!....without cream in my coffee.  It got easier, but it was always whispering in the back of my head, such a temptation.  

I am amazed to find that I am completely satisfied with black coffee now.  So wonderful!

That's it for now, I am glad to have found you guys.

I know how you feel, Missyween. I struggled with no creamer too, or should I say no toxic chemical stew in my coffee. Truth be told, I still struggle. My coffee just isn't as enjoyable, but I am working on finding the right combo for myself. Right now I'm sipping on medium coffee with a splash of cinnamon and coconut cream. It's pretty tasty. 

I just completed day 7 yesterday, so we have the same start date! 

Good to meet you and welcome!

Hi, I'm Andrea and I'm in on the whole 90.  This is day five for me.  I did a whole 30 that ended mid December... I had great on and off scale victories but 30 days was not enough to cement good eating habits after a lifetime of bad eating habits.  

The start of this has been easier for me with fewer cravings (although the ones I have had have been fierce).  At the end of the last whole30 I vowed not to go back to diet coke but during "the break" I had some.  Time to try again.

Looking forward to being accountable with this crowd.

Congrats on completing a Whole30 Zimmerak! I did one back in 2014 but went right back to my bad habits and bad food. My mom and I are doing a Whole90 now to try to make those good habits and cravings for good food stick with us. I am like you, I just don't think 30 days was enough, plus between the two of us, mom and I, we have a myriad of inflammation related issues. She is a quadruple bypass survivor, has type 2 diabetes and is 79 years old. I have thyroid issues and the beginnings of osteoarthritis I think....locking joints, etc. At any rate, we are hoping and praying that this way of eating will rid us of some of these issues and we are striving to get my mom off some of the host of meds she is on! 

Good to meet you and welcome!!

Day 14 - Definitely feeling better as scheduled! I wanted a glass of wine soooo bad yesterday but I owe it to myself to break that association with coming off of a hard week. Attempting copycat Chipotle chicken and oven roasted cauliflower rice today for dinner. Hope everyone is doing well!

Day 14 - Definitely feeling better as scheduled! I wanted a glass of wine soooo bad yesterday but I owe it to myself to break that association with coming off of a hard week. Attempting copycat Chipotle chicken and oven roasted cauliflower rice today for dinner. Hope everyone is doing well!

Oh yummo!!!! How about sharing that recipe with a sister? You can send it to me in a message if you like. That sounds divine. Glad you fought off the desire for wine and that you're feeling better today. I have tremendously sore shoulders (traps) and arms today. A friend of ours has MS and had about 3" of ice covering her entire 40 ft. driveway. I went over with my iron bar which weighs about 17 pds and tried to chip and break the ice up so that I could use the shovel to push it aside. I worked for about an hour until I physically could not lift that bar again and I only got about 15 ft. done. I'm super sore today. Me and a male neighbor of mine will go over tomorrow and try to do the rest for her. I would hate to have her slip on that ice! Luckily she isn't going anywhere today! 

Thanks  for your welcome,Tj V!

I was so glad to see we are on the same day of our "90".  

I woke up this morning having slept so deeply and well, and felt amazing.

Then, for my daughters birthday, I made pancakes, but did not taste any..... WooHoo!

The victory of not eating them was so much more delicious than the pancakes would have been.

I see you are doing this with your Mom.  Bravo to both of you.

It is so difficult to change eating habits at that age, but the benefit for her will be enormous.

My mom lives with us, but says that at 83 she's thankful she can eat anything she wants..... ;)

Enjoy day 7.  I believe that your morning of complete coffee satisfaction is coming.  Hang in there.

Thanks  for your welcome,Tj V!

I was so glad to see we are on the same day of our "90".  

I woke up this morning having slept so deeply and well, and felt amazing.

Then, for my daughters birthday, I made pancakes, but did not taste any..... WooHoo!

The victory of not eating them was so much more delicious than the pancakes would have been.

I see you are doing this with your Mom.  Bravo to both of you.

It is so difficult to change eating habits at that age, but the benefit for her will be enormous.

My mom lives with us, but says that at 83 she's thankful she can eat anything she wants..... ;)

Enjoy day 7.  I believe that your morning of complete coffee satisfaction is coming.  Hang in there.

You're welcome and thanks! We are desperate to get mom off all those meds! I wanna keep her around a lot longer!! She's also a cancer survivor, so she's a tough cookie! 

Kudos to you for resisting the pancakes! That's one of my favorites, although I always suffer afterwards with acid reflux from the syrup! 

I'm looking forward to the complete coffee satisfaction!

Chicken Thighs are my new little tasty best friends.  Copycat Chipotle chicken didnt taste exactly like it to me but it was REAL good regardless. A keeper recipe for sure http://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-chicken/another FAVORITE of my whole family has been Nom Nom Paleo Cracklin Chicken. It should just be called Nom Nom Crack because it is the bomb. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken. Im at the top of my first 30 day hill! WOOOOOOO!

Chicken Thighs are my new little tasty best friends.  Copycat Chipotle chicken didnt taste exactly like it to me but it was REAL good regardless. A keeper recipe for sure http://www.culinaryhill.com/chipotle-chicken/another FAVORITE of my whole family has been Nom Nom Paleo Cracklin Chicken. It should just be called Nom Nom Crack because it is the bomb. http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken. Im at the top of my first 30 day hill! WOOOOOOO!

Thanks! I looked at the recipe for Chipotle and had to laugh. Last time I did the Whole 30 I did a recipe for pulled pork that called for a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and I was all excited and it tasted great, THEN I read the can. It had sugar in it!!!! What the? Learned a valuable lesson there. And thanks for the crack chicken too! 

Congrats on hump day!!

Yes the Adobo Sauce was the challenge for me as well. I had to find one with nothing added. I think I did that right. If not I will move on because life moves on ha ha. Where is everyone else in this thread!? I want to hear how people are doing! Im on Day 16 - not feeling huge weight loss magic but definitely seeing a really positive change in energy and feeling better about myself as a whole for sure. 74 days to go!

Yes the Adobo Sauce was the challenge for me as well. I had to find one with nothing added. I think I did that right. If not I will move on because life moves on ha ha. Where is everyone else in this thread!? I want to hear how people are doing! Im on Day 16 - not feeling huge weight loss magic but definitely seeing a really positive change in energy and feeling better about myself as a whole for sure. 74 days to go!

It's comforting to me to know that there are peppers in adobo sauce that are compliant! Yay!! I don't know where everyone else is. I suppose guys don't really respond as much as girls, but I don't know where the others are. Perhaps they are working and unable to participate? I'm on Day 9 and I think I might be a late bloomer but I feel a bit of the carb flu maybe. Tired and a bit achy. Hopefully that's all it is. I'm still messing around with my coffee trying to find something that is palatable, but moving along nicely otherwise. Only 81 days to go!!!

Just keep in mind that a Whole90 is an unofficial thing. Part of the Whole30 program is being able to navigate food and lifestyle choices in your own way, not only by following the rules. That's why the reintro phase is a key element in the process, and where the riding your own bike metaphor comes from.

(this is partly for people just reading this thread, not specifically directed at you @falcon)

Is there anyone out there brave enough to cop to "crutching" on the W30 because they do not trust themselves to eat the way they feel they should without the framework of this program? I ask because this has been on my mind lately and this post seemed as if it was leading to that subject. There may already be a thread for this. If so, I would love to read it. I would love to know the breakdown of people who keep going because they are afraid to stop and enter the "real world" of eating as opposed to permanently adopting this way of eating going forward.

I would think that ending the program is just as critical a step as sticking to it for the 30 days, if not more so from an eating psychology perspective. I never had the desire to go past 30 days. After two of these, I do have the usual apprehension about ending the program even as I get to about that third week where serious food boredom sets in and the days start to slooooow way down for me. It's day 18 and I am totally there. But, that fear of going back and having to ride my own bike is a vital step for me and all the more reason not to drag it out. I want to trust myself and my choices, own them and learn from them. 

I could see this happening pretty easily to many people. Yes, we willingly choose to do a W30 but perhaps crave the insulation of not being able to touch foods that are problematic for us because we are operating within the framework of a program whose rules are dictated by an outside entity, in other words refusing to ride our own bike.

I guess I am trying to say that doing this program for the right reasons are every bit as important to me as doing the program at all.

My apologies if I am in the wrong place with this post.

I think this is day 10 for me.

Two daughters celebrated birthdays this past weekend.  One Saturday, One Sunday.  I was surrounded by cake, pizza and fritos.  

It was like the Alamo.  And I prevailed.  I am so glad that's over though.

I think last week was mostly just an adjustment mentally and physically, But overall I think I ate more dried fruit than I should have.  

This week I'm upping my water consumption, paying better attention to not snacking at all,  and also just eliminating dried fruit until I'm OVER that sweet craving.

I feel pretty good.  I'm three weeks out from a hysterectomy and that's just adds a little weirdness.  I would say that surgical recovery is not good for my Whole90, but my Whole90 is very helpful to my surgical recovery.  

How is everybody else?

Archived