Whole90

falcon

Is there anyone out there brave enough to cop to "crutching" on the W30 because they do not trust themselves to eat the way they feel they should without the framework of this program? I ask because this has been on my mind lately and this post seemed as if it was leading to that subject. There may already be a thread for this. If so, I would love to read it. I would love to know the breakdown of people who keep going because they are afraid to stop and enter the "real world" of eating as opposed to permanently adopting this way of eating going forward.

I would think that ending the program is just as critical a step as sticking to it for the 30 days, if not more so from an eating psychology perspective. I never had the desire to go past 30 days. After two of these, I do have the usual apprehension about ending the program even as I get to about that third week where serious food boredom sets in and the days start to slooooow way down for me. It's day 18 and I am totally there. But, that fear of going back and having to ride my own bike is a vital step for me and all the more reason not to drag it out. I want to trust myself and my choices, own them and learn from them. 

I could see this happening pretty easily to many people. Yes, we willingly choose to do a W30 but perhaps crave the insulation of not being able to touch foods that are problematic for us because we are operating within the framework of a program whose rules are dictated by an outside entity, in other words refusing to ride our own bike.

I guess I am trying to say that doing this program for the right reasons are every bit as important to me as doing the program at all.

My apologies if I am in the wrong place with this post.

Yup 100%. I hate when my whole30 ends.. it's really easy on plan to tell my friends I'm not drinking/eating dessert/whatever because I'm doing a 30 day reset. I love using whole30 as an excuse, esp for the friends and family who know the program and all I have to say is "sorry, day 20, can't eat that fresh pie you baked" and they get it. When I'm not doing it I feel worse saying "Oh you made that just for me - nope!" It's totally a crutch and scapegoat at first, but that works for me. 

I know Whole30 is 30 for a reason but when I got to hear Melissa speak she made it clear that 30 days was in part because that was the max they thought the average person could handle without being intimidated, but not necessarily how long some people need to really reset and break habits. Which I think is true - my first whole30, counting down the days is the only thing that helped. Counting down from 100 would have been too painful.. but with that being said I think plenty of people need more than 30 days to really break some deeply ingrained habits. 

I'm doing a whole90 this time around because I know 30 days is just not enough to really kill that sugar dragon and I know I'm now prepared and knowledgeable enough to handle 90 days. I don't think it's fair to say that everyone is ready after 30 days so I don't think there's anything wrong with a self declared extension. I'll crutch for 30 days, maybe learn to walk by 60 days and hopefully be flying down the hill riding my bike without training wheels by 90 days.

It can be a slow process and it's different for everyone and that's the beauty..

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night I stayed away from the nuts after dinner and felt like 100 times better about myself. I made sure to load up on spaghetti squash, salad and compliant sausage.

This morning I ate leftover spaghetti squash with homemade bolognese sauce and eggs for meal 1. What a difference from when I eat coconut flakes with flaxmeal, chia, hemp, and nut butter. Sticking to the meal templates have been my greatest challenge but I notice a great difference when I do.

I totally caved to the seeds!!! I'm a loser. Anyhoo, I'm gonna try to stay on track tonight and only load up on dinner, with some water for my tv watching time. If I want something, I suppose I can have some herbal tea! 

Hey! We had spaghetti squash last night too! Homemade. My mom makes good spaghetti sauce! Had some steamed spinach with ghee all over it. Man oh man is that tasty! Tonight, left over spaghetti squash and some compliant sausage, along with some sort of veggie. 

Yup 100%. I hate when my whole30 ends.. it's really easy on plan to tell my friends I'm not drinking/eating dessert/whatever because I'm doing a 30 day reset. I love using whole30 as an excuse, esp for the friends and family who know the program and all I have to say is "sorry, day 20, can't eat that fresh pie you baked" and they get it. When I'm not doing it I feel worse saying "Oh you made that just for me - nope!" It's totally a crutch and scapegoat at first, but that works for me. 

I know Whole30 is 30 for a reason but when I got to hear Melissa speak she made it clear that 30 days was in part because that was the max they thought the average person could handle without being intimidated, but not necessarily how long some people need to really reset and break habits. Which I think is true - my first whole30, counting down the days is the only thing that helped. Counting down from 100 would have been too painful.. but with that being said I think plenty of people need more than 30 days to really break some deeply ingrained habits. 

I'm doing a whole90 this time around because I know 30 days is just not enough to really kill that sugar dragon and I know I'm now prepared and knowledgeable enough to handle 90 days. I don't think it's fair to say that everyone is ready after 30 days so I don't think there's anything wrong with a self declared extension. I'll crutch for 30 days, maybe learn to walk by 60 days and hopefully be flying down the hill riding my bike without training wheels by 90 days.

It can be a slow process and it's different for everyone and that's the beauty..

I'm with ya! Hopefully I'll be riding my bike (oh I miss my bike!!!) all the way downhill, with my legs sticking out to the side and big cheesy grin on my face! I actually have a "life is good" hat with that on it! I really miss riding my bikes, but there is no one to ride with here and no bike lanes on this narrow highway I have behind my house. I'd have to load the bike up in the car and drag it someplace. Boo! Must.find.a.way!

I totally caved to the seeds!!! I'm a loser. Anyhoo, I'm gonna try to stay on track tonight and only load up on dinner, with some water for my tv watching time. If I want something, I suppose I can have some herbal tea! 

Hey! We had spaghetti squash last night too! Homemade. My mom makes good spaghetti sauce! Had some steamed spinach with ghee all over it. Man oh man is that tasty! Tonight, left over spaghetti squash and some compliant sausage, along with some sort of veggie. 

No, you are not a looser! You are a winner because you are on the road to a better relationship with food!

You just made a choice. Next time you'll make a different choice. Think about why you made the choice and look at ways to overcome the situation leading to that choice.

Hey guys! Every time I go on PInterest or other sites to try to get new meal ideas all I find are large lists that typically don't link anywhere. I just dont want to dig through it all. Could some people share some "meal 1"/breakfast ideas? I've been taking eggs to work and microwaving them but its not that great.

Anyhoo! Would be cool to hear a meal idea or two? Some easy "go-tos". 19 days down 71 to go!

No, you are not a looser! You are a winner because you are on the road to a better relationship with food!

You just made a choice. Next time you'll make a different choice. Think about why you made the choice and look at ways to overcome the situation leading to that choice.

Thanks! I was just joking about being a loser, but thanks anyway. I guess I joke about that, but maybe my brain takes it seriously, huh? Thanks again.

Hey guys! Every time I go on PInterest or other sites to try to get new meal ideas all I find are large lists that typically don't link anywhere. I just dont want to dig through it all. Could some people share some "meal 1"/breakfast ideas? I've been taking eggs to work and microwaving them but its not that great.

Anyhoo! Would be cool to hear a meal idea or two? Some easy "go-tos". 19 days down 71 to go!

Well, I have this little recipe I do. I call it breakfast hash. I brown some bulk sausage, and some compliant link sausage, like italian or apple artichoke and I also add cubes of roasted sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts, once they're done in the oven, then I add in whatever veggies I have left over in the fridge and add garlic and either ghee or coconut oil and cook them all together. You can make a huge pan of it and then put fried eggs over the top or just eat that as your meal without the eggs. I love using different spices on there and just basically do it to taste. 

reading some of the logs on here might give you some ideas. Me, I generally throw some veg in a skillet with my favorite oil saute, then scramble a couple of eggs in it. I like eggs! this am, had onion mushroom, spinach with 2 xl eggs scrambled. Sometimes use left overs from the night before with my eggs. Shredded sweet potato with some kale and egg,,,

Thanks! I was just joking about being a loser, but thanks anyway. I guess I joke about that, but maybe my brain takes it seriously, huh? Thanks again.

You're welcome! Saw the "loser" in your post, it jumped out at me. Probably because I catch myself doing this and am working on my self talk!

My go to lately: 

Pre cook some sweet potatoes finely chopped on the weekend.. then I wake up 10 min earlier and I throw some olive oil in the pan, pre chopped onion and bell pepper, then some sweet potato and spinach then whisk up some eggs, add them - and good to go!

When I have to bring my meal to work for whatever reason I precook frittatas, soup or chili with any and every veggie I like. For chili I go with some ground meat, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, any other veggie you can think of, add some spices and crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce, let sit in crockpot and there you go breakfast for a week! 

Oh cool!!!! I love the bring to work ideas. Thats always my issue...I cant get up and cook breakfast. I have to take something with me :(

Due to work/work out/MOM LIFE schedule I dont go to bed till 11 ish and I have to get up at 5:30. I just can't afford to get up earlier to make b-fast and sit down to eat it. Bleh.

A beautiful way to put it. I totally agree. It is so individual as far as relying on the program longer than 30 days because habits are not yet reset or not enough time has gone by to re frame food relationships goes. 30 days were not enough for me to totally kill the sugar dragon nor would I expect it to after doing my first W30. I walked away with the goal of cutting down on what I was consuming pre first W30 and maybe that was something because I didn't suffer those horrendous carb flu effects this time around. I try to take away something permanent from each round. Last time it was cut back a little more on sugar and give up dairy cream in my coffee. 

The funny thing is I feel I eat pretty close to a W30 outside the program but find my psychological mindset is very different and this affects even the way I digest food off and on the program.

I would have totally caved too if I didn't make myself really focus on eating enough for dinner. I had to add extra vegetable sides to pull this off. I still think about the nuts anyway but for me eating enough is the thing that has pulled me through the past 2 nights.

I love spaghetti squash but half my family is ready to disown me for making it so often.

After this W30 I have to seriously think about giving up nightshades for several weeks, another problematic category of food for me. I just don't have it in me to take this on right now.

Nom Nom Paleo has a great recipe for sweet potato hash and egg foo young that you might like and that would reheat well.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/5568966009/egg-foo-young-ish-spinach-egg-ham-coconut

I would have totally caved too if I didn't make myself really focus on eating enough for dinner. I had to add extra vegetable sides to pull this off. I still think about the nuts anyway but for me eating enough is the thing that has pulled me through the past 2 nights.

I love spaghetti squash but half my family is ready to disown me for making it so often.

After this W30 I have to seriously think about giving up nightshades for several weeks, another problematic category of food for me. I just don't have it in me to take this on right now.

Ya, I have undiagnosed thyroid issues. I say undiagnosed because they ran tests and they came back in the high "normal" range for hypothyroidism. But I have so many of the signs and symptoms, I think I'm, at the very least, borderline, so they say I should cut back on or eliminate nightshades too, however, I am so not ready to give up tomatoes and peppers! I love broccoli too, but really love the other two. I'm really praying that eating right for this extended period will alleviate most of my symptoms and I can still have salsa, etc. If not, I'll have to consider eliminating them too. I'm not a fan of that. 

So, today is Day 15 for us. Yay!! Only 75 more to go!! Actually I like 10 weeks and 5 days better. It just sounds better to my brain. I have noticed I don't have near as many hot flashes and my acid reflux isn't as bad. I'm drinking less coffee, because I just cannot "love" black coffee. I still miss my chemical sludge chocolate coffee mate, but it's a no go and I know it isn't good for me. I still miss my cough drops and I know those aren't good for me. Haven't had that burst of energy they talk about, yet, but I know it's coming. 
I remember when I did this before, I went through a period where I was just sure I'd gained weight and I was mad. I finally cheated and took my measurements and sure enough, I'd gained inches instead of losing them. I came on the forums ranting and raving and the lovely moderators were there to calm my fears and tell me that was normal. Well, I suspect I'm in that phase again, but I knew it was coming, so I'm ok...no tape measuring or using the scale. 
I still would rather have the ease of making a cup of coffee and not having to fix breakfast right off the bat, but it is ok, I'm dealing with it. 
So, yay for the acid reflux calming and the hot flashes. 
How is everyone else doing?

Hi again. Back from travel, houseguest sent home and...it's another day one for me. Rats.

The trip didn't go too badly, actually. I had some off-plan items, but stuck to protein/veg/fat for my meals when I could. Had my bagel with egg and pastrami instead of strawberry cream cheese (a little step, but a departure for me). I got home Saturday and was compliant Sunday- cooked all my food for a few days, was ready to hop back on the 30 train. And then I just don't know what happened. I lost my mind on Monday at the office. Haven't been able to get it back- been eating all sorts of things that shouldn't be considered food, really.

But I'm snowed in for the weekend with my (on the 30 with me) partner, so today I've got time to cook. Trying to learn what I can from falling off, while not overthinking it too much.

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to a 90, just with travel considerations- but for me the big deal of 90 is just beating the habits into cooking fresh foods and eating from the template being my "new normal". So we'll see where I can go from here.

Hi again. Back from travel, houseguest sent home and...it's another day one for me. Rats.

The trip didn't go too badly, actually. I had some off-plan items, but stuck to protein/veg/fat for my meals when I could. Had my bagel with egg and pastrami instead of strawberry cream cheese (a little step, but a departure for me). I got home Saturday and was compliant Sunday- cooked all my food for a few days, was ready to hop back on the 30 train. And then I just don't know what happened. I lost my mind on Monday at the office. Haven't been able to get it back- been eating all sorts of things that shouldn't be considered food, really.

But I'm snowed in for the weekend with my (on the 30 with me) partner, so today I've got time to cook. Trying to learn what I can from falling off, while not overthinking it too much.

I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to a 90, just with travel considerations- but for me the big deal of 90 is just beating the habits into cooking fresh foods and eating from the template being my "new normal". So we'll see where I can go from here.

Well, just get back on the horse. You know we always can learn from things we did or didn't do in the past. It's all about recognizing our downfalls and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I have faith that you can change your eating habits and continue on in life with your new found revelations about how your body reacts to foods. If you can't make a whole 90, then you just do what you can. The fact that you stuck to the main principles is good, even though you went off road. You can do it!!

Hi

I'm on day 20 of a possible whole150. I presumed it was ok to do it for several months as my last w30 was definitely not long enough, it's really good to know other people are doing longer too. Good luck everyone!

Good luck to you too! When did you do the W30? So, you're on a new W30 and you're extending it? Anyway, welcome!

Good luck to you too! When did you do the W30? So, you're on a new W30 and you're extending it? Anyway, welcome!

I did my first w30 last April, I did it for health reasons which is why I'm doing it now but I need to lose weight as well so that is a nice bonus. I'm hoping by doing it this length of time that I will not only get to a healthy weight but also break old habits for good which didn't happen in the 30 days.

Thank you for the welcome and good luck to you too.

Day 15 for me.  I feel so great!  So much energy.  Maybe too much energy for my family to deal with.  But I am trying to keep a lid on it.

Food is just not a problem.  I am not tempted to cheat these days.  That is amazing to me.  

But my skin went berserk a couple of days ago.  I have three cysts on my FACE which look like something you would find if you google "Repulsive Skin Disease"

Anybody else?   How long might this last?   Only a mask would cover them.

Anyway, the good outweighs the bad here.  And all this energy means I'm getting closets and drawers cleaned out.  Since I don't want to leave the house until my face heals.

Day 15 for me.  I feel so great!  So much energy.  Maybe too much energy for my family to deal with.  But I am trying to keep a lid on it.

Food is just not a problem.  I am not tempted to cheat these days.  That is amazing to me.  

But my skin went berserk a couple of days ago.  I have three cysts on my FACE which look like something you would find if you google "Repulsive Skin Disease"

Anybody else?   How long might this last?   Only a mask would cover them.

Anyway, the good outweighs the bad here.  And all this energy means I'm getting closets and drawers cleaned out.  Since I don't want to leave the house until my face heals.

Well, I'm glad someone has energy!! I'm looking forward to that day. 

Nope, no skin eruptions and I'm just hoping that doesn't happen to me either. I'm wondering if it's some sort of purging of toxins from your system?

Archived