Whole90

falcon

My first 30 days are also over.  Today I have only 60 (or 70) to go.

I have lost 11 pounds, my skin is clear, I feel really great.  

But I  just had a super busy weekend with 13 houseguests and all the full days, short nights and big meals that that go along with having tons of  people in the house.  It was tough.

It was surprisingly discouraging to me how much I was tempted...... in almost every way.  

I made it through, without even snacking on those nachos during the Super Bowl.   But I felt like I was so close to caving in.

What I learned was that sleep is, indeed, critical to my success.  I was sleep deprived and surrounded by all kinds of temptations and it was a struggle.

Last night I got a good nine hours of sleep again and woke up ready to press ahead and really thankful I had not given in.

I will keep that lesson in mind in the future.  I must sleep well in order to eat well and feel strong.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first 30 days are also over.  Today I have only 60 (or 70) to go.

I have lost 11 pounds, my skin is clear, I feel really great.  

But I  just had a super busy weekend with 13 houseguests and all the full days, short nights and big meals that that go along with having tons of  people in the house.  It was tough.

It was surprisingly discouraging to me how much I was tempted...... in almost every way.  

I made it through, without even snacking on those nachos during the Super Bowl.   But I felt like I was so close to caving in.

What I learned was that sleep is, indeed, critical to my success.  I was sleep deprived and surrounded by all kinds of temptations and it was a struggle.

Last night I got a good nine hours of sleep again and woke up ready to press ahead and really thankful I had not given in.

I will keep that lesson in mind in the future.  I must sleep well in order to eat well and feel strong.

Wow!! Don't know if I'd have been that strong!! Way to go!

Hi folks - 

Sad to report, I'm back on day 2. I have been sick as a dog for the last six days (like, sicker than I can remember being in...I don't even know) and saltines and candied ginger got me through.

BUT, I had a long talk with my partner about what we were hoping to achieve with a W90 - we don't live together, but we're on this together and we cook together over the weekends and alternate some during the week. We managed to really spell it out - that 30 was just not long enough for us to change our habits. And for me, not long enough to kill the sugar dragon (he doesn't struggle with this the way I do).

So our goals on one hand were to get 30 days in the bag and do reintroduction, so we could figure out what foods are tripping us up individually.

But an equally important goal for us both is to continue to eat this way - cooking our own fresh foods, staying away from sweets and processed food, and doing our best to make every meal a properly balanced meal as per the template. It is such a radical change from the grab-and-go way we were eating - I can't overstate how different cooking/eating/living this way is for both of us. That was the idea behind 90 instead of 30 - that we wanted more time for these habits to become second nature. No more getting takeout because we're tired, no more pint of ice cream for dinner when I'm sad (yes, I did that. often.)

I have some travel coming up, and to some culinary destinations at that. So, moving forward, it's my intention to stay compliant every day that I possibly can...and to not beat myself up when I can't. I am hoping/intending to get to a full consecutive 30 so that I can finish reintroduction (didn't ever get all the way through it in my two previous successful 30s). 

I feel so much better in so many ways when I am eating this way - it seems there is no reason to not keep on keepin' on. 

I would love to get to 90 consecutive days - but it might have to wait until next January again. I would have to make a conscious decision to not plan any travel for the first three months of the year. Possible, perhaps?

If nobody minds, I might continue to hang around on this thread...

Oh, and we also decided that we would take photos at the beginning of each month. Photos showed slight but noticeable improvement.

Had my annual doctor's exam today and she didn't give me the concerned talk about my weight, telling me that as long as I don't get any heavier than I am now, she is okay with it. I'm about 20-25 pounds heavier than where I need to be to have the clothes that I feel good in fit. But forward progress? I'll take it.

Hi folks - 

Sad to report, I'm back on day 2. I have been sick as a dog for the last six days (like, sicker than I can remember being in...I don't even know) and saltines and candied ginger got me through.

BUT, I had a long talk with my partner about what we were hoping to achieve with a W90 - we don't live together, but we're on this together and we cook together over the weekends and alternate some during the week. We managed to really spell it out - that 30 was just not long enough for us to change our habits. And for me, not long enough to kill the sugar dragon (he doesn't struggle with this the way I do).

So our goals on one hand were to get 30 days in the bag and do reintroduction, so we could figure out what foods are tripping us up individually.

But an equally important goal for us both is to continue to eat this way - cooking our own fresh foods, staying away from sweets and processed food, and doing our best to make every meal a properly balanced meal as per the template. It is such a radical change from the grab-and-go way we were eating - I can't overstate how different cooking/eating/living this way is for both of us. That was the idea behind 90 instead of 30 - that we wanted more time for these habits to become second nature. No more getting takeout because we're tired, no more pint of ice cream for dinner when I'm sad (yes, I did that. often.)

I have some travel coming up, and to some culinary destinations at that. So, moving forward, it's my intention to stay compliant every day that I possibly can...and to not beat myself up when I can't. I am hoping/intending to get to a full consecutive 30 so that I can finish reintroduction (didn't ever get all the way through it in my two previous successful 30s). 

I feel so much better in so many ways when I am eating this way - it seems there is no reason to not keep on keepin' on. 

I would love to get to 90 consecutive days - but it might have to wait until next January again. I would have to make a conscious decision to not plan any travel for the first three months of the year. Possible, perhaps?

If nobody minds, I might continue to hang around on this thread...

Sorry you've been sick! I sure don't mind if you hang out with us. We all stumble at one point or another. The real deal is getting back up, dusting ourselves off and going right back to it! I hope you are on the mend! 

Hi gang, just dropping back in with a progress report and hopefully add a little motivation for the group.

Let me start by saying that I am no longer on a whole90 as I decided to make some changes and allow myself to be "human" again. I will describe what I'm now doing differently and the reasoning behind it but the big takeaway is that everyone needs to do what works for them, regardless of stringent rules of any type of program. This includes whole306090foreverneveragain!

So early on in this process, my major concern was weight loss, healthy lifestyle, and then finding a way to maintain after I achieved my goals. But I didn't get there, despite my best efforts and doing a near perfect whole30. But I realized that in my efforts to stick to this program,my other behaviors were detrimental to my life in general. I didn't eat out for fear of some chef sliding a slab if butter into my steak, or beating myself up because I inadvertently grabbed the wrong salad dressing. I skipped social engagements for fear of drinking alcohol...and then not only would I have to restart the 30...i'd have an additional 60 to go! So I think the fear was causing me stress and in a way self sabotaged the results I was looking for. So I am no longer going for the 90 but am going to continue to use the principles the program espouses.

As for my results...my "disappointing" whole30 yielded a 6 lb weight loss when combined with working out. To put this in perspective, I lost 6 lbs just this past week after deciding not to go for the 90.

So what's different? In reality, not much. My meals are mostly the same as I've learned to like the food substitutes whole30 requires. In fact, I've made a tons of meals in food categories I haven't thought to make in years. My problem was never really with food addictions or health problems, my issues really were more about bad individual choices and then the psychological issues those choices would invoke.

As far as my food choices, I've decided to severely limit fruit, and up my veggies. Big dinners. I drink alcohol when I feel like it, but only 1 or 2 instead of 10. Drink gluten free beer when I feel like having one. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better. The biggest change though is reading food labels, using the sub where it makes sense, taking ownership of every food decision, and committing to getting back on my food plan after a conscious choice to deviate. What I am doing is likely closer to whole9, but I'm not sure as I don't want to read about it and have this become the new "it" thing.

What this journey has given me are the tools to understand where my issues lie, the knowledge of how to achieve optimal health through eating, the framework by which to eat, and the feeling that all is not lost if I breakdown.

The reason for posting this is not to discourage those going for the 90, but rather to inspire everyone to just do their best. I see a lot of folks on this thread beating themselves up over not being perfect, with disregard to the fact that even in their failures they are likely doing better then just doing nothing in the first place!

Best wishes to all!

Hi gang, just dropping back in with a progress report and hopefully add a little motivation for the group.

Let me start by saying that I am no longer on a whole90 as I decided to make some changes and allow myself to be "human" again. I will describe what I'm now doing differently and the reasoning behind it but the big takeaway is that everyone needs to do what works for them, regardless of stringent rules of any type of program. This includes whole306090foreverneveragain!

So early on in this process, my major concern was weight loss, healthy lifestyle, and then finding a way to maintain after I achieved my goals. But I didn't get there, despite my best efforts and doing a near perfect whole30. But I realized that in my efforts to stick to this program,my other behaviors were detrimental to my life in general. I didn't eat out for fear of some chef sliding a slab if butter into my steak, or beating myself up because I inadvertently grabbed the wrong salad dressing. I skipped social engagements for fear of drinking alcohol...and then not only would I have to restart the 30...i'd have an additional 60 to go! So I think the fear was causing me stress and in a way self sabotaged the results I was looking for. So I am no longer going for the 90 but am going to continue to use the principles the program espouses.

As for my results...my "disappointing" whole30 yielded a 6 lb weight loss when combined with working out. To put this in perspective, I lost 6 lbs just this past week after deciding not to go for the 90.

So what's different? In reality, not much. My meals are mostly the same as I've learned to like the food substitutes whole30 requires. In fact, I've made a tons of meals in food categories I haven't thought to make in years. My problem was never really with food addictions or health problems, my issues really were more about bad individual choices and then the psychological issues those choices would invoke.

As far as my food choices, I've decided to severely limit fruit, and up my veggies. Big dinners. I drink alcohol when I feel like it, but only 1 or 2 instead of 10. Drink gluten free beer when I feel like having one. Not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better. The biggest change though is reading food labels, using the sub where it makes sense, taking ownership of every food decision, and committing to getting back on my food plan after a conscious choice to deviate. What I am doing is likely closer to whole9, but I'm not sure as I don't want to read about it and have this become the new "it" thing.

What this journey has given me are the tools to understand where my issues lie, the knowledge of how to achieve optimal health through eating, the framework by which to eat, and the feeling that all is not lost if I breakdown.

The reason for posting this is not to discourage those going for the 90, but rather to inspire everyone to just do their best. I see a lot of folks on this thread beating themselves up over not being perfect, with disregard to the fact that even in their failures they are likely doing better then just doing nothing in the first place!

Best wishes to all!

Thanks for the update and the honesty. What you are doing now is sort of what we are planning after our w90 is done. I'm tempted to deviate too, however, I feel I must hang in there for the w90 with my mom so that she can see if this will alleviate some of her serious health issues, which are part of the reason for us doing this, in the first place. (quadruple bypass survivor, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol). I really hope we can get her off some of her meds by sticking to the w90. That being said, I like your results and your reasoning. 

One question...do you think the 6 lbs you lost in one week was a carry over from the w30? I mean could it have been the "tiger blood" catching up to you? 

We will be sticking to a Whole 9 or Paleo/Primal type of lifestyle, once we finish.

Good luck to you and keep in touch! I hope we can all still post on this thread whenever we are inspired to do so.

Day 40! Although maybe I should be at day 2...

I did my 30 days 100% following all rules and recommendations... however this weekend, on Superbowl Sunday (day 38).. I did have some sweet potato chips and guac where the ingredients were canola oil, sweet potatoes and salt. Though technically all the ingredients on their own are whole30 approved, eating chips as a snack is a no-no... with that being said, I'm not starting my whole90 over because this is bigger than that to me. 

I choose sweet potatoes and guac at a super bowl party where all the other options were far less healthy and that on its own is a victory for me. 

Again - my whole30 was by the book, but if some days aren't perfect or per the template I think I'll just keep going and only restart my 90 if I really lose it, like eating all the donuts currently staring me in the face :) I haven't beaten the sugar dragon yet because they still look delicious...

Day 40! Although maybe I should be at day 2...

I did my 30 days 100% following all rules and recommendations... however this weekend, on Superbowl Sunday (day 38).. I did have some sweet potato chips and guac where the ingredients were canola oil, sweet potatoes and salt. Though technically all the ingredients on their own are whole30 approved, eating chips as a snack is a no-no... with that being said, I'm not starting my whole90 over because this is bigger than that to me. 

I choose sweet potatoes and guac at a super bowl party where all the other options were far less healthy and that on its own is a victory for me. 

Again - my whole30 was by the book, but if some days aren't perfect or per the template I think I'll just keep going and only restart my 90 if I really lose it, like eating all the donuts currently staring me in the face :) I haven't beaten the sugar dragon yet because they still look delicious...

I'm with you...not starting over for something like that. It's about the journey. I think restarting the w30 if you mess up is good, but not the w90, unless of course you go all nuts and have a pizza, soda, cake and ice cream sort of day.

Thanks for the update and the honesty. What you are doing now is sort of what we are planning after our w90 is done. I'm tempted to deviate too, however, I feel I must hang in there for the w90 with my mom so that she can see if this will alleviate some of her serious health issues, which are part of the reason for us doing this, in the first place. (quadruple bypass survivor, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol). I really hope we can get her off some of her meds by sticking to the w90. That being said, I like your results and your reasoning.

One question...do you think the 6 lbs you lost in one week was a carry over from the w30? I mean could it have been the "tiger blood" catching up to you?

We will be sticking to a Whole 9 or Paleo/Primal type of lifestyle, once we finish.

Good luck to you and keep in touch! I hope we can all still post on this thread whenever we are inspired to do so.

You and your mom are on a journey for health so remember that this is the end goal and not some arbitrary number you set for yourself. And it sounds like you are well on your way so I hope for the best for you both.

As for my most rapid weight loss week, the major difference for me was the elimination of fruit. I had been feeling the tiger blood for a while but it wasn't translating to the scale. So once I dropped fruit, my diet essentially became an Atkins like diet. So that is what I attribute to the quick loss. More importantly for me though, was the breakthrough I had with regard to my relationship to food. I now ask myself before every temptation- is this going to be worth it? Most of the time the answer is no so I skip it. Remember, I have a 3 year old at home so it would be VERY easy for me to breakdown and just snack away on garbage.

That's my first rule. My second rule is this: no more than 1 deviation per day. If I know I am going to drink alcohol, my food will be perfect. If I want to eat something then only a small amount and only 1 of restricted foods. So still no pizza, but I would eat a piece of bread, but no butter. Maybe it's just a more restrictive version of paleo, I'm not sure what it's called but its what is going to work for me. And I'm going to continue this until I reach my goal...which could be well in excess of 90 days!

Something to consider tho is this: which would you call more successful-- doing 90 days in a row, or doing say 110 out if 120 days total? That was the question I asked myself which lead to my ultimate decision.

At the end of the day, I think the cravings and the bad habits etc are really more psychological issues than physical and 30 days is likely enough time to purge ones body of the junk. That's why the program is whole30 and not something more.

Remember that the ultimate goal is optimal health and that its the journey, not the destination that counts.

You and your mom are on a journey for health so remember that this is the end goal and not some arbitrary number you set for yourself. And it sounds like you are well on your way so I hope for the best for you both.

As for my most rapid weight loss week, the major difference for me was the elimination of fruit. I had been feeling the tiger blood for a while but it wasn't translating to the scale. So once I dropped fruit, my diet essentially became an Atkins like diet. So that is what I attribute to the quick loss. More importantly for me though, was the breakthrough I had with regard to my relationship to food. I now ask myself before every temptation- is this going to be worth it? Most of the time the answer is no so I skip it. Remember, I have a 3 year old at home so it would be VERY easy for me to breakdown and just snack away on garbage.

That's my first rule. My second rule is this: no more than 1 deviation per day. If I know I am going to drink alcohol, my food will be perfect. If I want to eat something then only a small amount and only 1 of restricted foods. So still no pizza, but I would eat a piece of bread, but no butter. Maybe it's just a more restrictive version of paleo, I'm not sure what it's called but its what is going to work for me. And I'm going to continue this until I reach my goal...which could be well in excess of 90 days!

Something to consider tho is this: which would you call more successful-- doing 90 days in a row, or doing say 110 out if 120 days total? That was the question I asked myself which lead to my ultimate decision.

At the end of the day, I think the cravings and the bad habits etc are really more psychological issues than physical and 30 days is likely enough time to purge ones body of the junk. That's why the program is whole30 and not something more.

Remember that the ultimate goal is optimal health and that its the journey, not the destination that counts.

I'm totally with you on all of that. I know we have to be in "this" for the long haul....eating sensibly and not a bunch of chemical, sugary, frankenfood. We are total carbohydrate junkies and that is a big issue. That stuff is like crack! The more you eat the worse you feel and then the more you crave! Yuck! Just wish I didn't have the taste for it. 

Good luck to you HIlo, and hope to see you around here from time to time. 

I am on Day 37, and something happened Saturday night that is so disturbing to me.

My husband and I had reservations at a restaurant which we frequent, and which has been very kind about modifying my meals so they are Whole30 compliant.

So, I called ahead and told them I was coming in on Saturday, and asked them for the modifications to their Salmon and mango salsa dinner which make it OK for me to eat it.  The changes to he dish create a Salmon filet with crab meat and mango with cilantro and veggies on top.

And the changes eliminate the rice which is normally served under the salmon.

Well......I got me lovely plate of dinner, and in the low light of the very romantic dining room, I began eating that scrumptious meal.  And as I was chewing on what I had thought was crab, I realized that there was rice IN IT. the rice was much like the crab in texture and appearance, but in my mouth I knew the difference.  

By the time I realized what it was, I had  eaten  two or three forks full of rice.

And this is after I have, I  believe, been meticulous about my Whole30 for over a month, I inadvertently ingested something I should not have.

I know it would be silly to call this a failure, and I am not going to re-start my 100 days now.  But I am a little sad about it.   

Ever since that meal I have felt a little bit defeated, and the temptations to eat chocolates yesterday  was pretty strong ( because those chocolates were surrounding me on all sides it seemed).

In a related story, I dreamed last night about eating chocolate covered caramels and big fluffy white bread, and dreamed I was reading my brother's diary as I ate all those nasty sugary carbohydrates.  I don't think my brother even keeps a diary in real life, but in my dream he sure did.  It is fascinating to see the emotional depth of food temptations, addictions and the guilt and shame that are associated with them.  

I think it would be interesting to hear all the food dreams of Whole 30ers.   Some of mine have been hilarious.   Anyone else?

I'm not on whole90 but was just reading up on the new content posts. I feel the same way in all the posts I have been active in. Like everyone that was in them just disappeared. It's strange.

As for the dreams I am right there with you. It's crazy the temptations your brain puts you through. Even when in real life you don't want any of those things.

Your doing so great! Keep up with your 100 days. You will be proud and feel accomplished at the end even with this small bump in the process.

I'm not on whole90 but was just reading up on the new content posts. I feel the same way in all the posts I have been active in. Like everyone that was in them just disappeared. It's strange.

As for the dreams I am right there with you. It's crazy the temptations your brain puts you through. Even when in real life you don't want any of those things.

Your doing so great! Keep up with your 100 days. You will be proud and feel accomplished at the end even with this small bump in the process.

Thanks Summeradele!   Hopefully all these missing people are out enjoying a little bit of warmer weather, and are not here for that reason.

Here's hoping they are all having a satisfying day of good eating!

Happy Friday! How is your whole100 coming missy?? And have the dreams improved? Mine seem to have gone away food wise but I have been waking up much earlier than usual. I think that's a good thing though.

Ha!  no food dreams over the weekend.  I am noticing that there is kind of an ebb and flow to the cravings for sweet foods, sometimes salty foods, and yesterday I thought a gin and tonic would be pretty nice.  And I poured myself some mineral water with lime and pretended I was drinking one.    Some days I wake up feeling really well and strong, and I will maintain that energy for several days, then I find again that I am really tired in the morning.  I am sure it has to do with protein intake.  If I get about three ounces of good protein before bed, I am better in the morning.         How far along are you? I do appreciate you visiting me here   :D     It's so good to have company on this road.  

I am actually on day 30 today! Very excited I made it through the whole process. Other than having a slight cold the last few days I'm feeling great! I think I may have a glass of wine tomorrow with dinner and weigh myself. Then get right back to it

Well, many of us have done a Whole 30 before and are dealing with autoimmune conditions, etc. I'd like to say that perhaps some people want to do the Whole 30 for life and may be afraid to go off the plan, however many of us are trying to rid ourselves of tons of medications and chronic medical issues. I'd refer you to page 58 in The Whole 30, where it says that "if you've got a chronic medical condition, an autoimmune disease, or a long history of unhealthy food habits or addictions, you may want to plan on being on the program longer than 30 days. While the basic program is long enough to steer you in the right direction and bring you some of the results you're hoping to see, you can't expect to fully reverse years (or decades!) of medical symptoms or food-related habits in just a month. Autoimmune conditions are especially stubborn, often requiring six months or more of dietary and lifestyle intervention to bring significant healing and resolution of symptoms. If you feel like you can commit to a Whole45, 60 or 90 right out of the gate, go for it!"

So, are there people who "crutch" it with the Whole 30, many of us do not. Each of us has our own reasons.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I've seen some progress in reducing the inflammation during the first Whole30. Starting Whole90 today to really get the pain and flare-ups under control. Going to do less fruit and nuts this time. Also cutting out all nightshades and cooking all cruciferous veggies.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived