Nora's long overdue 2nd Whole 30

ncc28

Tomorrow, I'm going to start my 2nd whole 30. I've done a few half-hearted attempts since my first Whole 30 last April, but I always fell off the plan within a few days. But, the last 6 months have been tough - I've gained weight, work has been stressful and I'm not feeling great about myself. I remember how good I felt during my last Whole 30 (aside from a terrible cold in the first week), and i just reread my daily log from that month. I'm excited to get back to that sense of accountability, health and accomplishment!

I'll do a daily log of my meals, mostly as an accountability tool, but also to track challenges and changes over time. 

Tonight, I'll clean out my kitchen (time to get rid of the Christmas cookies!), and after a compliant breakfast tomorrow, I'll do some grocery shopping to pick up a few essential items.

Looking forward to this! I welcome feedback, ideas, recipes, etc. 

-Nora

Hi all,

It's day 4 for me, and I feel like I'm going strong...at least for the moment! I feel less stressed about the rules and food choices than I did during my first Whole 30. It seems like muscle memory or getting back on a bike; I remember which go-to foods I should always have in the fridge and pantry, and I'm spending much less time reading every single label in the grocery store. And, since I'm feeling at ease, I think I'm actually getting even more creative with recipes!

So far, my staple foods have included: eggs, sweet potatoes, kale, chicken and ground beef. I'm kicking up flavor with spices and herbs, and while I'm sure food boredom will kick in eventually, this early phase has been both easy and tasty! 

I'm still struggling with sleep, but last night I noticed that my heartburn (ever present during the holiday season) was gone. Hurrah! I hope that keeps up. 

Also, I've made it a personal goal to drink my coffee black by the end of the 30 days. Every morning, I take a few sips of black coffee and then quickly add coconut milk. But, I'm going to keep working to ease off the creamy, rich coconut milk. 

Dinner tonight will be chocolate chili, which is one of my all-time favorite entrees! 

-Nora

Day four update: Dinner was NOT chocolate chili (which I'm pretty bummed about!), because my ground beef was absolutely frozen solid and I was already making dinner later than usual.

Instead, I whipped together a sort-of-weird, but kind-of-tasty chicken dish with broccoli, onions, dates, garlic and a mix of ground spices (cumin, curry, etc). Everything was sauteed in coconut oil. Can't go terribly wrong with chicken, veggies and cumin, right?

I'll just look forward to the chocolate chili :-)

-Nora

Day 5:

Had leftovers for breakfast, which is my breakfast solution whenever i hit snooze too many times.

I'm not sleeping well, and it's making me a little nuts. I've been having coffee in the morning and tea at mid-day or early afternoon, but might cut out the tea so I'm not having any caffeine after 10am. I've also been working out at night, either right before making dinner or shortly after a light dinner. I wonder if the energy from exercising is keeping me awake? I know I should try to exercise in the morning, but I am so bad about making myself wake up early enough! 

Anyway, the lack of sleep, coupled with the lack of sugary carbs in my diet has left me pretty sleepy today. 

Just about to read the Whole30 blog post on sleep troubles during the month; hopefully, I can find a way to restore a better sleep cycle soon!

-Nora

Day 5 update:

Dinner was stuffed butternut squash! Stuffing included ground beef, onions, mashed squash and some bacon. Totally delicious!

I scaled back on caffeine and didn't work out tonight, since I got home so late from work and needed to make dinner. Now, shutting down my phone and computer and heading to bed soon. Hope I can unwind and have an easy time falling asleep!

Until tomorrow,

Nora

Day 6:

Slept much better last night! Still only 6 hours, which is 1-2 hours less than I really want, but I had a super early morning today, which cut my sleep a bit. The good news is that it didn't take me very long to fall asleep once the light was off and my head hit the pillow. My fitbit tells me it took about 30 minutes to fall asleep and than I was restless (i.e.turned over in bed) three times in the middle of the night. All in all...not bad! 

This morning had leftovers for breakfast. Feeling a little hungry as we approach 10am, so I might not have really had enough to keep me full. It was a small-ish portion at 6:15am, so I'm not surprised my stomach is growling a little. Not yet to the point that I would eat something really bland and awful just to survivie ;-) so, I'll push through to lunch or sneak in a walk and buy some almonds or cashews. 

This is my first weekend back on the plan, so my fingers are crossed, but I have that anxious feeling I always got during my first whole 30 - will I be able to resist that pesky temptation to have a glass of wine or a slice of pizza? At least I'll be stocking up the kitchen again with fresh vegetables and meats. Maybe I'll plan a special meal for myself to look forward to, rather than focus on what I won't be eating with my boyfriend and friends. 

I'm sure there are many of you who are figuring out how to feed your whole family during a Whole 30. I can't even imagine trying to adjust the food choices for a whole family. I have the opposite challenge - cooking for one. My boyfriend has the WORST diet. He's skinny as a green bean, but he eats pizza and chicken wings for every other meal. I don't mind that he eats those things, but it's definitely challenging to buy ingredients and cook for just one person - myself. I rely a lot on frozen veggies, so that I'm not wasting fresh produce that doesn't get used fast enough. 

If anyone has any other great suggestions for single person cooking without wasting food or money, let me know! 

Happy Friday,

Nora

Day 7:

Pretty sluggish today, but pushed through with some new adventures in cooking.

First, I made homemade mayo. Despite the few ingredients, I was pretty intimidated by this process. But, it turned out great and I made tuna salad for lunch (wild planet tuna).

Then, for use with dinner, i tackled homemade ghee for the first time. My house smells amazing, but a little bit like shortbread cookies, which is kind of cruel. For the actual meal, I finally tried nom nom paleo's cracklin chicken, and it was SO GOOD!! I sliced it up and out it over a bed of garlicky, mildly spicy Swiss chard. One of the best dinners I've had in awhile, and it was relatively easy!

Not a bad day considering I was so sleepy. Tomorrow, I'm going out to dinner with my boyfriend for Restaurant Week in our city. For those who don't have this kind of thing nearby, tons of restaurants offer three course meals for a set price. While affordable, I will be skipping dessert and digging through their special menus to find a compliant meal. Bummer!

I'll also spend part of the day cooking for the week. This time, chocolate chili is definitely on the menu!

-nora

Day 9:

So, we didn't hit up restaurant week after all! The weather was awful, and we wimped out. Will attempt it again later this week! 

Instead, I did lots of cooking and prep: ghee, mayo, chili. Next up: butter chicken (yum!). 

Today's breakfast was an omelet with a tiny bit of leftover chili, salsa and some avocado. Filling and delicious.

Lunch is leftover chili and a sweet potato.

Dinner will likely be butter chicken over cauliflower rice, since I'd rather not have chili at all three meals! 

My sleep has been a lot better in last couple of days. It took me awhile to fall asleep last night, which is pretty normal for me on a Sunday night, but I went to bed so early that I still got 7 hours of sleep. 

Hope everyone has a great start to the week!

Nora

Day 10:

Definitely coming down with something :-\ Last night I was exhausted (i.e. dragging myself through a 30 minute workout). I thought it just might be a low energy swing, but I've got an awful sore throat, so I think my body is fighting something. 

Despite not feeling 100%, I'm still eating well. Tried bulletproof coffee this morning, and while I could get used to delicious, coconut-flavored coffee, I feel a little weird about adding a tablespoon of ghee and a tablespoon of coconut into my coffee, especially I'm getting plenty of other healthy fats through my breakfast (cooking with coconut oil, adding some avocado, etc.). While I'm pro healthy fats, and know it will leave me energized and full all morning, I can't help but think it's way too much for one meal! 

Anyway, my cauliflower rice was pretty successful for dinner and then leftovers at lunch today. The butter chicken from myheartbeets.com was OK. I think using coconut milk instead of yogurt was fine, but left it tasting more like a thai curry than a creamy/tomato-y indian dish. I still gobbled it up - it was definitely tasty, but not the flavor I was wanting. 

Had leftover butter chicken for lunch and dinner is going to be either leftovers, or some whipped together dish of vegetables i need to use and a basic meat option.

I'm not feeling very inspired after so much adventurous cooking the last few days.

-Nora

Day 11:

Not a great start to the day. I feel gross - likes things just aren't moving along in my system. I'm cranky. It's like a combo of kill all the things phase and tighter pants phase. This can't be good for anyone. I've been thinking about my food choices even more critically in the last 24 hours to explain some annoying reactions. For example:

Had heartburn last night, before bed, for the first time in 10 days, and I think it's safe to attribute it to the chocolate chili (sad!). The combination of tomatoes, onions, avocado on top and a serving size that might have been just a bit too big (1 cup of chili)....recipe for disaster!

So what's causing this bloating feeling?

I might need more veggies - I have a decent portion at each meal, but perhaps some more fiber will help. Yesterday, I had:

Eggs with 1/4 avocado, a spoonful of chili and 2 tablespoons of salsa for breakfast. I also had bulletproof coffee.

Lunch was leftover butter chicken (tomato/coconut milk based sauce) and a side of cauliflower rice.

Dinner was a serving of leftover chocolate chili with onions, salsa and another 1/4 avocado on top.

I had a banana for a snack between lunch and dinner. And, I drank about 80 oz of water throughout the day (i've been careful to track this on my fitbit, because I'm SO bad about drinking water).

Anyway, really not feeling it today, and wish I could crawl back into bed.

-Nora

Day 13:

Took a day off from posting - was just too busy at work and home yesterday!

But, feeling so much better than I did on Wednesday. I slept well last night, my skin is brighter than usual and I made a simple & delicious dinner last night with salmon, broccoli and a sweet potato. Super-easy, clean and filling. 

Approaching another weekend and I've got to head back to the grocery store - I go through eggs and coconut oil really fast! And, the bf and I are committed to getting out for restaurant week this weekend! I'm actually pretty excited to have someone else cook a delicious meal for me, but I'll be sad to give up amazing dessert, and it's always a little intimidating to ask a server about ingredients. I know I shouldn't be ashamed of being health-conscious, even at a restaurant, but I hate being perceived as the annoying, picky customer when I ask for the ingredient list of a vinaigrette or to have butter excluded from my vegetables. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Nora

Day 14:

I looked at recipes for paleo cookies last night. I vividly remember doing the same thing during my first whole 30....drooling over images of cookies and other paleo treats about halfway through the month. My sweet tooth is obviously craving chocolate. Thankfully, this was a virtual cheat and not a real one, but I could really go for some kind of delicious, almond-chocolate cookie right now!

I admit that I did satisfy that craving with half a banana bread larabar - almonds, dates and banana are the only ingredients. Technically compliant except that it was being used to feed a craving for dessert. I went back to look at the whole 30 timeline, and I'm smack in the middle of the phase that often involves crazy food dreams and cravings. It is incredible how much of a pull dessert has on my willpower. 

This morning, I had leftover salmon, an egg scrambled in ghee and 1/2 an avocado for breakfast. I was really stretching to put a compliant bfast together - it was my last egg, I'm out of coconut oil (thankfully had some ghee left to oil the pan), etc. It just reminded me how important it is to plan and have ingredients on hand. I'm making the grocery list now, and plan to get even more than last week because my kitchen literally has a turnip, 1/2 an avocado and some overripe bananas in it!  That's it!

Otherwise, feeling pretty good, although I haven't exercised in two days.The desire to just relax when I get home from work is just as strong as the desire to bake cookies. This whole 30 is definitely becoming a turning point for me...whether it's food choices or exercise...this is the moment I have to decide to choose health over comfort. So, today I get back into the exercising routine. My goal is to do 30 minutes, 5X/week, so I need to work out today and tomorrow to meet that goal for the week!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

nora

Day 14 update:

Went for a walk after the rain ended, and it felt really good. It wasn't an intense workout by any means, but at least it was a solid 30 minutes of activity and some sunshine. 

Tonight's dinner: 

Cracklin' Chicken

Roasted sweet potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and garam masala

Steamed broccoli

First, I LOVE roasted sweet potato. I could eat pounds of it, I think. Second, I think I've rediscovered broccoli during this Whole 30. It was never my green vegetable of choice, but I have it at least a few times a week these days. While I'm slightly jealous of my bf, who ate a huge order of buffalo wings at the start of the Pats game, I feel really good that I had a delicious and complete meal that was balanced with protein, a big portion of veggies and healthy cooking fats.

Now, to just fight the post-dinner sweet tooth between now and bedtime....

-Nora

Day 16:

My sugar cravings aren't gone yet, and they strike hard after dinner. Between 8-10pm, I daydream of chocolate and baked goods. I think I've got a handle on my three meals, and I haven't been snacking nearly as much this round as I did during my first, but wow....I really want a piece of cake. 

The struggle is real. 

-Nora

I hope you don't mind my commenting. I noticed in your earlier meal logs, it didn't seem that you were eating enough veggies with each meal and maybe play around with your fat source? Making sure to add more after cooking and maybe you need a full avocado? Or try olives? Cravings and snacking say to me that you are missing something. Do you eat a lot of fruit? Try cutting it out for a few days and try to get 3 cups of cooked veggies with each meal to see if that takes care of the cravings? are you having starchy carbs in the morning? It has been said that they contribute to cravings later in the day, so try moving those around?

This far along in the game you shouldn't have to rely on will power as much (in my opinion), and that can get just plain exhausting!

I hope you don't mind my commenting. I noticed in your earlier meal logs, it didn't seem that you were eating enough veggies with each meal and maybe play around with your fat source? Making sure to add more after cooking and maybe you need a full avocado? Or try olives? Cravings and snacking say to me that you are missing something. Do you eat a lot of fruit? Try cutting it out for a few days and try to get 3 cups of cooked veggies with each meal to see if that takes care of the cravings? are you having starchy carbs in the morning? It has been said that they contribute to cravings later in the day, so try moving those around?

This far along in the game you shouldn't have to rely on will power as much (in my opinion), and that can get just plain exhausting!

Thanks, J9er!  I don't mind at all. You're probably right about the low dose of veggies - it's especially evident in breakfasts. I rely on eggs, cooking fat and a cup of spinach for most breakfasts these days. I think I'm doing a better job following the meal template at dinner time. More so now than in week 1 and 2, I've been getting a ton of vegetables alongside my protein, and cook everything in coconut oil or olive oil. Maybe I should consider adding additional fat to eat (rather than just to cook) - avocado, nuts, etc.

Honestly, these cravings only hit at night, an hour or two before bed. I don't get them during the day, and I think I'm still fighting through the psychological hold of snacking at night. Maybe it's being more idle at night - reading, checking email, watching tv....those low key times used to be accompanied by snacking or even baking :-/ I'll continue to work through it, and also try to tweak some meals here and there to really feel full and content with each meal. 

Seriously,thanks for taking the time to review my meals and offer some advice - I really appreciate it!

Day 18:

Woke up with a crazy headache that lasted through the morning and into early afternoon. Had coffee, lots of water, a good breakfast and lunch. I also had a really good night sleep...a solid 8 hours of actual sleep according to my fitbit.

Maybe it's stress or the after-effect of not having enough water yesterday? Thankfully, the headache disappeared by mid-afternoon, and my energy is through the roof. This time around, I think my favorite whole 30 outcome is the increased energy. In my first whole 30, I really noticed how much my sleep improved. My sleep is definitely getting better this time, but I'm much more aware of how I feel during the day as a result of better sleep, better meals, less caffeine, etc. 

Time to make dinner: baked chicken thighs marinated in lemon juice and olive oil, mashed sweet potatoes with toasted walnuts on top, steamed broccoli.

-Nora

Day 19:

Had trouble sleeping last night - probably the result of an extra coffee yesterday and a workout just an hour before bed. While I hit snooze a few times this morning, I feel so much better without yesterday's headache, and I started my day strong with lemon water, bulletproof coffee and a veggie omelet.

I'm grateful that i haven't gotten sick of eggs yet. My friend is on day 6 and already tired of eggs:-/ Last time around, I definitely went through the phase of barely wanting to eat in the morning because I couldn't choke down any more eggs. It's possible that phase will still sneak into my last week, but I eat eggs at least once a day and for the moment, I'm good with that!

I'm also glad that I've been exercising more during this whole 30. I don't think I exercised at all during the first one. I still felt great, but now I feel stronger and confident that I can fuel a full work day and a workout 5 days per week.

My challenge is sticking with a healthy lifestyle for more than 30 days, and I HAVE to do it. I've got to take control of my health, my energy and my potential for a long and happy life.

Have a great day, everyone!

-Nora

Day 20:

Happy Friday! Officially in the last 10 days of this whole 30. I'm really glad I did this, and I don't know why it was so hard to commit to it the last few times I tried to do a 2nd round. I'd like to keep going beyond the 30 days. I may ease on certain restrictions and will certainly add food groups back to my diet one at a time for a little while to track adverse reactions, but in general, would like to avoid added sweetener and most grains (particularly wheat). I also want to continue abstaining from alcohol, with maybe the exception of the occasional glass of 

I've also achieved my goal of drinking black coffee! I'm sitting here drinking my last cup of coffee for the day, and it has nothing in it. I still drink bulletproof coffee some mornings, but I'm just has happy with fresh, plain coffee.

Last night I had salmon, sweet potatoes and broccoli for dinner. This morning I had eggs, home fries and a side of bacon for breakfast.

I'll have a big salad with chicken for lunch and tonight I'm going to dinner with friends at a steakhouse, so should be able to find compliant options.

We might get snow this weekend, so that should be the perfect excuse to stay in and cook for the week ahead!

-Nora

Archived