A Family Affair....

MissMel

Hi there.  My name is Mel.  I am 35 years old and recently suffered a series of strokes.  I am "morbidly obese".  My a1c levels are "pre-diabetic"  but I have all the complications of full blown diabetes such as periphreal nueropathy ( nerve damage), arthritis.... oh I could go on here too.   

I also have an education in nutrition both standard and holistic.    I got my education in nutrition because I felt who better to understand than "the chubby nutritionist".   It's almost laughable.   I wanted ( still do)  to change my family history.  ( too long a story to share). 

In a nut shell here I am.  Because leaving my children would be hard.  Me dying would be hard for them.  In all honesty I am tired in more ways than are even humanly possible to explain and the words "beating cancer is hard, losing a loved one is hard"  Resonated with me.  Yep, I can do this.  I know I can.  It's just 30 days right?  30 days and at the end I hope I feel so much better the thought of cake itself is sickening.   The best part if all this is my family is on board too!!  Yep, my 6'2 husband who weighs 145lbs and all 5 of our children including the two year old.    EVERYONE is doing the whole 30. 

We cleaned out our kitchen today including the bottled salad dressings.  We emptied the pantry, the fridge and the cupboards.  Put the spiralizer where I could reach it, brought out the steamer and have gradually over the last month grabbed pantry staples that would otherwise be expensive.  Avacado oil, macadamia nut oil , grass fed beef ahhh yes the list goes on.  We have prepared ourselves for some time , talked about the changes ahead and all agreed we would all do this for our own health!  Even our 18 yr old sons girl friend ( does not live with us)  Is taking on the next 30 days with us.    We start tomorrow!  I look forward to getting to know some of you and finding support in this crazy good for you journey.

• Moderators

Wow, that is amazing! You have a built in support system and the amount of planning you've been doing will be nothing but helpful! We are here for you if the going gets tough but I know you can all do this!!!

Please understand that while 30 days CAN and WILL change your life, it is sometimes not enough time to really heal some drastic conditions. Your body may prioritize healing over weightloss at first and you may need extra time to get those levels down. It sounds like you're already aware of this based on your 'I hope cake is sickening' statement but I wanted to re-iterate it because when people come from a difficult place like you are, we want them to know we're here for them for the long haul and that altho you WILL experience non scale victories that WILL motivate you to keep going, it could take a while to get to where you want to be. We're here for you the whole way!

Rock on sister!

Archived