intermittent Fasting

Hello

For 4 months I chose low carb and intermittent fasting as my life stile. Now I decided to test Whole30. The only thing is leaving me confused is why should we need to eat 3 times a day and also pre and pos training? Why Intermittent fasting will impact in Whole30? Should I eat even if I am not hungry?

tks

Katia

Since you're already adapted to IF, I would keep doing it if you've been liking it so far. What protocol do you use?

Melissa's article seems to be directed at people who are contemplating starting both IF and W30 at the same time for the first time.

I do intermittent fasting, have for years now, including fasted workouts. My purpose is not for weight loss at all, but for all the other potential IF benefits: improved insulin sensitivity, nutrient partitioning, neuroprotective factors, autophagy, etc.

I also IF and continued to do so during the Whole30. Eating breakfast does not work with my body... so I continue the eating pattern that I am adapted to and that suits my lifestyle. I still benefitted from the Whole30. I'm starting a Whole60 now and I will continue to follow IF. I simply skip breakfast and eat two large meals a day, sometimes a third small meal. 

IF is not always good for women and it can have lasting negative impacts.

I know a few people still recovering from it.

Just be aware of the risks and make sure your doctor knows, as the consequences can be long lasting, with very long roads to recovery.

Difficulties eating breakfast is one of the signs of hormone imbalance.

• Moderators

I'll also add to this discussion that Intermittent Fasting is, as the name suggests, intermittent. It's not meant to be a daily occurrence.

There are also the Whole30 rules and then the recommendations. In following the rules, eating only coconut and fruit every day would be a Whole30. The recommendation would be that you won't see optimal results. Same with IF. You'e technically doing a Whole30 as long as you don't eat the off limits food and don't weigh yourself, but optimally, for the majority of people, adding IF would not be recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

In my personal experience, stopping IF while doing Whole 30 caused me to gain weight.  Right now, I am attempting to finish my whole 30 while IF (but I have done fasting for years, and did 2 weeks of whole 30 without fasting).  I am actually tolerating fast days better than I was when I was eating a whole bunch of junk (no cravings).  I think you should do an additional diet on top of IF with caution because it can cause things to be too restrictive.  But if you feel like you can handle it, and have a good reason for doing both at the same time, then it's probably ok.

Hello, I decided to combine Whole30 and IF. Today I'm starting the 15th day and I'm felling very well. It is visible that I already reduced weight. I used to drink too much coffee and at the beggining of the program I felt sorely missed , but I decided to drink only one coffee express in the pre-training and I feel well as much energy. So far my strategy is working fine :)

Archived