Salmon cakes recipe

wisecat

Hi all!

I'm new here. I did my grocery shopping yesterday with the intent to making salmon cakes from the book sometime this week but I went to 3 stores (whole foods, trader joes and Safeway) and only found I kind of canned sweet potato. It was from Safeway and it was "in heavy syrup". Yuck! So I didn't buy any. I did buy fresh sweet potatoes. Anyone have any recommendations on how to use fresh in this recipe?

• Moderators

Roast the sweet potato in the oven in it's skin (piercing a few times with a knife or fork). Once cool, scoop the sweet potato out of the skin and use it as a 1:1 ratio for the canned sweet potato. In future, you can also use canned pumpkin.

• Moderators

Just cook the fresh ones and smash them up. I'd probably just poke some holes in the peel, throw them in the oven, and bake til they're soft -- you can do that while you're doing other stuff around the house. Or you could poke holes in the peel and put them in the microwave -- if your microwave has a baked potato setting, use that, it should be about the right amount of time.

Archived