Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 3 on my first Whole 30. So far so good. I'm 56 and hoping to be healthy and energetic by my daughter's wedding in September. This seems like a great way to start. Good luck to the other 50+ers!

Our daughter was married in July - Such a fun time!  Oh how I wish I woulda got my W30 on before the big day!  So smart!  

Schedule

Hi all --  started on Friday, my first W30, and will be turning 62 on day 18. Hopefully will be feeling great by then! Yesterday and today have been sleeeeeepy, but this morning was better than yesterday. I don't really have much of a weight problem, just want to get the energy and clear thinking to help myself through the next few months of my job. It has been getting to be a total grind, and I have let it get me down and into bad habits. So off with them!

Hi everyone!! Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm Tracey and turned 50 in November. I have had such difficulty in keeping my weight AND my cravings under control in the last few years. I just can't seem to get any weight off. I know...I know this isn't about weight. My other issues with inflammation cause me probs as well. I have a love - hate relationship with bread and dairy.

Haha! Confession time I guess! :)

I did a successful whole 30 in June and felt fabulous. Since then I've tried two more but not been able to complete them. And my inflammation issues return with my bad eating habits.

My goal this month is to reset my habits and keep them reset for this year and the rest of my life. I want a healthy future.

This also fits with my only resolution for 2016, which is to treat me the way I treat the people in my life I love. No negative talk, no hating myself. Just love :)

I look forward to chatting and supporting each other through this adventure.

Hope your day was wonderful and a success!

Peace

I finished a W30 last fall, enjoyed the results, and stuck with it for the most part - but winter and the holidays took me off the rails, and as of 1/1/16, I'm getting back on. Not with another strict W30, though. That was a great learning experience, but I'm not not doing it again. I am however, 59 and this group appeals to me. I'd love some communication and accountability, and I agree there are unique challenges for this age group. High rewards, though, no doubt. Peace, comfort, and joy. N

Inflammation has a lot to do with my W30 as well.  I had disc fusion surgery a year and half ago.  Brutal.  Didn't go so well.  Loss of feeling in part of my left foot and a whole bunch of nerve pain down my leg that won't go away.  But hey, I don't have back pain anymore :).  

I lost 25 pounds during recovery and put it back on rather quickly after going off the pain meds. (can't eat while taking those...mmmm, wonder if I have a few hanging around?....lol).    

I guess what I really want is to start preparing for the last third of my life, and getting all I can out of it.  This seems like a good place to start!

Welcome all, so glad you joined this thread!  

Yay! My peeps!  :D I'll be 51 in March and I just started Whole30 yesterday.  This is my first time doing whole30 and am hoping to shed a few pounds but mostly shed ton's of pain and fatigue that my poor diet and lifestyle choices have led me to! Peace!

Danni

I started today. This is my second time but I failed at the reintroduction. My belly roll is over my jeans as I speak! I too have inflammation so I need to control my sugar cravings. I am really committed this time and I will look for support from this group.

I am 62 and started Jan 3, Sunday. I'm nervous and a little edgy. I cleaned out freezer & refrigerator today. Tossed it in the trash! It's 11:48 pm & I already have tomorrow's expected headache. I'm determined!

I tossed a quarter of a beautiful lemon tart and accompanying whipped cream into the trash because it looked like "the enemy" when I opened my refrigerator door on NYD. It is the enemy. I have lots of obesity and diabetes in my family and I'm not going to surrender to it.

No headaches here, but I am a little low on energy. I am eating lower carb than the W30 because I get cravings when I eat starchy carbs and fruit. My first W30 was by the book - and as I said, I learned a lot from that. I don't know whether it's my age or my metabolism or what, but protein and lots of non-starchy vegetables are my human chow.

Day 1 for me!  I also cleaned out the cupboards....goodbye cookie butter!  Man, that stuff is like the devil.  Lots of food prep today but I have a quiet week (retired) so have some time and thankful for it.  

What kind of exercise do you all do?  I walk and swim.   2 miles or 30 minutes swim most every day, along with a  swim class on Saturday mornings.  Probably need weight training?   

I tossed a quarter of a beautiful lemon tart and accompanying whipped cream into the trash because it looked like "the enemy" when I opened my refrigerator door on NYD. It is the enemy. I have lots of obesity and diabetes in my family and I'm not going to surrender to it.

No headaches here, but I am a little low on energy. I am eating lower carb than the W30 because I get cravings when I eat starchy carbs and fruit. My first W30 was by the book - and as I said, I learned a lot from that. I don't know whether it's my age or my metabolism or what, but protein and lots of non-starchy vegetables are my human chow.

Lots of diabetes and heart disease in my family too!  My numbers were edging up there at my last physical.  I think the only thing that has saved me is the daily walks...sure hasn't been the food!  But it's a new day and glad for that!  Happy Monday!

Schedule

Started today January 4th, this will be my third round. I did some serious off-roading during the holidays, so I'm glad to be back on plan. I'm 55 and this has been one of the best things I have ever done. It get's easier every time. Hope that all of us can help each other in our journey.

Mike

Planning on 'officially' starting tomorrow - have been moving towards this for the past couple weeks.  I just turned 52, joint issues and pain plus the belly gain has led me to this.  I attempted last year - made it about 17 days.  Glad to see this group.  Thanks for starting.

Deb/Chigger

Hello - I started on Jan 2 but have not had time until today to check in.  I am 62 and this is my 4th or 5th W30 and I have always been successful with the 30 days, and the following month or two but then things sort of disintegrate.  I had some major changes this fall - moved into a smaller place, remodeled that smaller place while living in it, started a new extremely fun but challenging job, helping my parents with some very heavy decisions on assisted living and got a new puppy.  So my wheels went off the track.  I always feel great when I eat and live the W30 way, so my goal this time is to understand my triggers better so that perhaps next time I won't go off track.  The one thing that I have never been able to really fully heal is my digestion so I am going Whole 30 AIP this time which means no eggs and no nightshades although I don't eat the nightshades regularly anyway. Leaving eggs of the menu is a sacrifice for me but I eat so many of them, I think it is good to give it a break. I am going to journal this time so that when I do get stuck, I have some data to provide to the moderators. And at the end of 30 days, my gut (ha ha) says I will be doing a Whole 60. I am doing a bunch of cook-up on a regular basis.  In fact there is a grass-fed/pastured pork roast in my crock pot.  I used a WellFed 2 recipe - Italian Pork Shoulder Roast.  It is my go to winter or summer!   MMMMMMMM! Off to put dinner together for me and the dogs!

Archived