Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Hi, all. I'm 53 and am on Day 6. This week was tough! I have completed One Whole 30 2 years ago and had several starts and stops since. Day 11 has caused me problems before, but I am sticking with it this time. My story is similar to many of yours. I have some chronic pain issues, allergies, and some digestive issues (since the last time I was successful.) That is part of my motivation but I would also like to visit my daughter in Beijing this summer. (I need to improve my health before I take that trip alone!)

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 14 - NSV, hubby says my snoring is no longer waking him up.  

Made the nom nom paleo asian meatballs and they were easy and delicious.  

Still not hungry - have never been hungry.  

I have not tried drinking the bone broth - going to try that this week.  

Hello Tinakan4, I love your picture. 

Good morning, ladies!

I want to tell you what happened to my friend - 64 years old. She was having trouble breathing and was taken by ambulance to the hospital. After many tests she was diagnosed with dozens of blood clots in her lungs. Very, very dangerous. Fortunately after a long hospital stay she now is in convalescent care but she will have to be on oxygen for the rest of her life. The reason this happened - too much sitting! She is a receptionist and sits all day. And then goes home and does a few things in the house, makes dinner, and sits all evening. The doctors told us that no one should sit for more than 3 hours a day. At a minimum you need to get up and move 10 minutes an hour. If you have a sitting down job, stand when you are on the phone, take a walk up and down the hall, walk in place when you the commercials come on tv or walk around your house. He said even though I go to the gym I still need to do this. And sitting with your legs elevated is even worse. I downloaded Leslie Sansone's free Walk Away the Pounds video and now I am setting my timer for 50 minutes, then I get up and do 10 minutes or the video or walk around the house or do a few exercises. I already have asthma and COPD so I am afraid blood clots would be my end.

I'm in this for the long haul this time and I plan to eat paleo when it is done. I just feel so much better when I do.

Still getting new to the forums Here. I commented earlier about deli meat and sugar. I agree it is best to by the meat roasts fresh and cook and slice your own. It's a little diff way of shopping and cooking but that is what the whole 30 is all about.

I am on a cabin weekends with friends and here is my update. I stick with the plan! I'm on day 7. We went to a bar and I ordered tea. They had orange chicken andrice I had spag squash and my whole 30 chili. No one really noticed. My husband mentioned my food plan but no one really commented. They had cookies I had blueberries. Now I have another day here so feel good sticking with this.

Is there a place in the forum to log your meals? I noticed some have a personal blog. Is that where?

Also, I think I may be eating too much. I'm having snacks in between meals. Nuts and fruit, coconut milk and coffee. Does anyone eat snacks a lot or sticking to just three meals?

ALVENTHAL welcome to the thread.

QUILTERINVA that is a good tip about getting up every hour.

Talk to you all later.

Hi all!

I got up bright and early and hit the farmers market. I got some great veggies and feel like I'm in a good place for the week I bought a bunch of golden beets, even though I can't stand those red-beets-in-a-can. But I promised myself I would try new things and so far I've really liked everything I tried. I found a salad with blood oranges and golden beets that I'm trying. And a recipe for sauteed golden beets and greens.

Any beet lovers out there? What's your favorite way to serve them?

Hi Deerobert.... I have experienced horrible hot flashes over the past 2 years. I'm 54, 55 in April. I was taking several supplements for them with some relief. But this past fall they got so bad I couldn't stand it. I stopped all supplements I was so frustrated with it all.

I started the Whole30 Jan 1st. and my hot flashes have improved dramatically. I really believe it was by elimanating dairy from my diet because before starting this I ate pretty clean. Organic when possible, grass fed, no wheat or grains. Very little sugar, only the hidden ones. Lol...But I was eating butter and putting cream in my coffee, oh and a little bit of cheese. I measured myself today and haven't lost a thing! I refuse to get on the scale now becaus I feel so good and strong and healthy....I know stepping on that thing and seeing no change would depress me. My husband loves me at 142lbs and even if I want the scale to say 135... it won't ....so I'm staying away from that thing! I'm continuing with the whole 30 as it is....there aren't any foods I miss. I still need to conquer the almond butter habit. Might be why the no loss of inches??? Health and happiness to all !!

• Moderators

Still getting new to the forums Here. I commented earlier about deli meat and sugar. I agree it is best to by the meat roasts fresh and cook and slice your own. It's a little diff way of shopping and cooking but that is what the whole 30 is all about.

I am on a cabin weekends with friends and here is my update. I stick with the plan! I'm on day 7. We went to a bar and I ordered tea. They had orange chicken andrice I had spag squash and my whole 30 chili. No one really noticed. My husband mentioned my food plan but no one really commented. They had cookies I had blueberries. Now I have another day here so feel good sticking with this.

Is there a place in the forum to log your meals? I noticed some have a personal blog. Is that where?

Also, I think I may be eating too much. I'm having snacks in between meals. Nuts and fruit, coconut milk and coffee. Does anyone eat snacks a lot or sticking to just three meals?

ALVENTHAL welcome to the thread.

QUILTERINVA that is a good tip about getting up every hour.

Talk to you all later.

During a whole30 you can log here: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/24-your-whole30-log/

After whole30, you can start one here: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/35-your-post-whole30-log/

Logs in these areas of the forum ate not generally moderated, so if you want a moderator to weigh in on how things look, after you've posted a few days, you can either private message one of us and ask for feedback, or post a link to your log in the troubleshooting section of the forum with whatever questions you have: http://forum.whole30.com/forum/19-troubleshooting-your-whole30/

Hope that helps.

hey folks -- day 27 for me. still undecided as to whether i'm going to do another w30 after this one back to back or try some re-introductions first and then do another one. i'm on such a good role i almost don't want to mess with it yet. one interesting thing that's happened -- today i am bloated out to here. i look 8 months pregnant. i'm not doing anything different or going anywhere near off-plan foods. the only thing i can think is that it might be the cabbage. i made the braised cabbage dish from nomnompaleo last night and oh man was it yummy. but i woke up bloated and it just got worse as the day progressed. one big motivation for doing w30 in the first place was to see if i could bring the bloating down. pelvic radiation messes with your lower intestine. eating this way so far has made vast improvements in that area of my body and i'm so relieved. no worries if i can't do cabbage. not a big fan of cabbage in general. but it was kind of shocking after not being bloated for nearly three weeks to wake up this way again.

Hi all!

I got up bright and early and hit the farmers market. I got some great veggies and feel like I'm in a good place for the week I bought a bunch of golden beets, even though I can't stand those red-beets-in-a-can. But I promised myself I would try new things and so far I've really liked everything I tried. I found a salad with blood oranges and golden beets that I'm trying. And a recipe for sauteed golden beets and greens.

Any beet lovers out there? What's your favorite way to serve them?

I am totally in love with roasted beets! I roast them whole or slice them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then roast. There's an amazing beet salad at meljoulwan.com or in one of her Well Fed books: Belly Dance Beet Salad. I brought it to gatherings this summer and it was the hit of the parties!

You should not be snacking unless you are really hungry (I.e. steamed fish and broccoli sound wonderful. I'm sure a moderator will be explaining this better soon.

I have been snacking! And almond butter yum yum with blueberries almonds and coconut milk. Well I'm ok with cutting back on snacks. I went back and reread the rules. Consider fruit like natures candy. Ok well I'm overeating the good food. This is a journey. I am motivated to see this thru. I'm already seeing results and it is a learning process. So being more aware of the snacks will certainly help.

I'll look forward to seeing more changes with cutting back on snacks. Thanks.

I have been snacking! And almond butter yum yum with blueberries almonds and coconut milk. Well I'm ok with cutting back on snacks. I went back and reread the rules. Consider fruit like natures candy. Ok well I'm overeating the good food. This is a journey. I am motivated to see this thru. I'm already seeing results and it is a learning process. So being more aware of the snacks will certainly help.

I'll look forward to seeing more changes with cutting back on snacks. Thanks.

I snacked just like that my first time on the whole 30, and it interfered with optimal results. Plus I realized it was keeping my sugar dragon alive. Goid luck cutting back the snacks! It is hard for a few days but then you don't miss it. ☺️

On day 26, I came down sick again, with a sinus infection. The day before, I could tell that my body didn't want to lose anymore weight. (I am 5 1.5 and I weigh about 108 lbs.)  But as I age, I am 53, I notice, that my body does want to weigh a little more.  I use to always weigh 105.  So I have accepted that but my reintroduction will have to be delayed. .  My goal was never to lose weight, just to eliminate the inflammation.  So now I am trying to force myself to eat, so I can regain my strength. Unfortunately, I had chicken noodle soup.  So after a couple of days eating wheat, my joints felt worse.  I am just disappointed that my reintroduction will be delayed.

On the positive side, I have only introduced one food group.

I also never want to see an egg again.....

I snacked just like that my first time on the whole 30, and it interfered with optimal results. Plus I realized it was keeping my sugar dragon alive. Goid luck cutting back the snacks! It is hard for a few days but then you don't miss it. ☺️

I just finished my 3rd W30 and each time I learn something new. This time I understood more about snacking. While I keep some Lara bars at work for emergencies, I found that with planning, I really didn't have any emergencies- other folks ate them! Template meals seem to really hold me very well. My other go-to was almond butter. I found this time I pretty much only used it to make Sunshine Sauce. Fruit, I had as part of a meal, usually just breakfast. You are so right, BetsyJane - it is a learning process!

I have been called the beet queen - I love them top to bottom. They are delicious roasted, as Mistyfire mentioned, especially with carrots and parsnips. You will be amazed at how sweet they are. You can also substitute beets, either half and half or all beets, in any potato salad recipe. The greens are slightly astringent, like chard, and so good with eggs. They do bleed a little red, which some might find alarming... but not me.

so interesting to hear, for me. i can't imagine snacking on this plan. i get to hour 5 after a meal and i have to remind myself to eat b/c i'm still not hungry!

I also never want to see an egg again.....

hoo boy do i resonate with that! i'm on day 28 and i have slowed way down on the egg thing. i use them sparingly, almost as an accent, usually fried so the whites are crispy but the yolks soft. i was making a lot of scrambles for breakfast early on, but now i am sauteeing up all the yummy veggies and greens and i get to the point where i'd throw in a couple of eggs and i just don't wanna. so mostly i use a different protein source.

hi folks -- day 28 for me. i cannot believe i'm this far in. in general, after the first few days when i figured out how to create a balance b/t cooking, eating, cleaning and the rest of my life, it's been really easy. tuesday is my day 30. i'm still feeling my way in to what to do after that. certain hopes i had for this haven't materialized even though so many testimonials say they do -- one is my blood pressure. eating this way has not helped that AT all. i am presuming b/c of that it isn't touching my high cholesterol either. but those are my key issues. if it's the case that if it's going to help it will do it in the first 30 days, and the benefits i've seen (which are very good!) are what it's going to top out at, then that's a strong argument for beginning reintroduction.

even if i do begin reintroduction, there isn't much on the reintroduction list that appeals to me. sugar and alcohol are out for good. alcohol absolutely. i might indulge in a sweet on extremely rare occasions. but i'm not gonna start now just to see if that poison is still poison. i already know it is. i really don't do bread unless i'm desperate and there's nothing else in the house to eat. so not sure why i would reintroduce that. same with pasta. the exception to those two is that if i'm at a really good restaurant i might eat the bread, and i might order the pasta, but when i'm cooking for myself? nope. i also don't do a lot of dairy. i don't drink milk anymore. haven't for years. i've been drinking my coffee black for years, and right now i don't even drink coffee. cheese sometimes, especially really nice artisan cheeses...but those are treats. those are not daily (unless i have leftovers, and then i make these amazing omelets with them). greek yogurt i LOVE but the yummy flavored ones are full of sugar. so that's out. snacky stuff? if i'm following the w30 template i don't get hungry so i don't need snacks. rice and other cooked grains...i only eat those because it's been the paradigm for "healthy eating" and also b/c that is a big aspect of the DASH diet for high blood pressure i followed (successfully, btw, i didn't need meds when i ate that way) in my early 50s. ditto legumes (although i do LOVE black beans). but it's not anything i have a taste or inclination for.

really, come to think of it, the w30 meal template has always been my preferred way to eat. it's what i do without thinking about it if i plan and prepare a meal. 

the other thing is...IF it's possible that more benefits (the clear radiant skin? not so far. clearing up of an itchy mystery-rash that's plagued me for decades? nope. miraculous reduction in my cardiovascular health numbers? nope) -- if that might just take longer on the program, then it's well worth doing another w30 right on the heels of this one and saving reintroduction for later down the line. ditto the way the weight is melting away...i need to be 20 more lbs down to be optimum for managing the bp.

anyway...just thinking out loud here as my end date for this one is fast approaching!

Caedmon 22 congrats on finishing whole 30 days! And your write up is very informative on what we might expect from the end. Since I haven't got there yet it's good to read others experiences.

Thank you everyone for the snacking info. I'm going to be aware of that. I think it is more of a habit then anything. Because sometimes I'm thinking hey it's 10 am and I can eat some nuts or an apple. Sometimes I'm not really even hungry but more of habit. And that it's an allowed food it's ok. Heading into week 2 and back to work I will be aware of this more then ever.

Also I am going to back and reread the whole 30 book. When I started this I have just studied the rules, but I need to reread the details every day to reinforce the program. Also I am enjoying g the check ins on this forum.

Last night at weekend cabin with friends I stayed on plan. Today is breakfast at cabin and I will eat my leftover chicken breast and have eggs. And I'll make a fruit salad.

I do feel better even after 1 week. My head feels clearer for one thing. I struggle with depression and even was on Prozac for last 2 months. Mild dose. But I didn't like the feeling I got from it and being dependent on it. I am not feeling depressed but facing my emotions and understanding what triggers my stress. I am not advocating stopping medication for depression or mental illness; I am just saying this has been my experience. Depression does run in my family.

Again I welcome more discussion on snacking, benefits of the program, and dealing with social situations, I like that the thread is based on over 50. Bye

• Moderators

hi folks -- day 28 for me. i cannot believe i'm this far in. in general, after the first few days when i figured out how to create a balance b/t cooking, eating, cleaning and the rest of my life, it's been really easy. tuesday is my day 30. i'm still feeling my way in to what to do after that. certain hopes i had for this haven't materialized even though so many testimonials say they do -- one is my blood pressure. eating this way has not helped that AT all. i am presuming b/c of that it isn't touching my high cholesterol either. but those are my key issues. if it's the case that if it's going to help it will do it in the first 30 days, and the benefits i've seen (which are very good!) are what it's going to top out at, then that's a strong argument for beginning reintroduction.

even if i do begin reintroduction, there isn't much on the reintroduction list that appeals to me. sugar and alcohol are out for good. alcohol absolutely. i might indulge in a sweet on extremely rare occasions. but i'm not gonna start now just to see if that poison is still poison. i already know it is. i really don't do bread unless i'm desperate and there's nothing else in the house to eat. so not sure why i would reintroduce that. same with pasta. the exception to those two is that if i'm at a really good restaurant i might eat the bread, and i might order the pasta, but when i'm cooking for myself? nope. i also don't do a lot of dairy. i don't drink milk anymore. haven't for years. i've been drinking my coffee black for years, and right now i don't even drink coffee. cheese sometimes, especially really nice artisan cheeses...but those are treats. those are not daily (unless i have leftovers, and then i make these amazing omelets with them). greek yogurt i LOVE but the yummy flavored ones are full of sugar. so that's out. snacky stuff? if i'm following the w30 template i don't get hungry so i don't need snacks. rice and other cooked grains...i only eat those because it's been the paradigm for "healthy eating" and also b/c that is a big aspect of the DASH diet for high blood pressure i followed (successfully, btw, i didn't need meds when i ate that way) in my early 50s. ditto legumes (although i do LOVE black beans). but it's not anything i have a taste or inclination for.

really, come to think of it, the w30 meal template has always been my preferred way to eat. it's what i do without thinking about it if i plan and prepare a meal. 

the other thing is...IF it's possible that more benefits (the clear radiant skin? not so far. clearing up of an itchy mystery-rash that's plagued me for decades? nope. miraculous reduction in my cardiovascular health numbers? nope) -- if that might just take longer on the program, then it's well worth doing another w30 right on the heels of this one and saving reintroduction for later down the line. ditto the way the weight is melting away...i need to be 20 more lbs down to be optimum for managing the bp.

anyway...just thinking out loud here as my end date for this one is fast approaching!

Congrats on nearing the end! I just wanted to give you some feedback on your comments that if something was going to improve with this way of eating that it would have happened in the first 30 days. This is not true. There are many conditions which need longer than the 30 days to heal or see improvement and depending on what other health issues you've had at the time, your body can be prioritizing healing of other things. You've listed blood pressure, rash, cardiovascular health numbers and high cholesterol. That's a lot for your body to be dealing with and it stands to reason that you may need longer than 30 days.

I think if you choose to begin re-introduction and then mindfully eat, relying more on non inflammatory foods, you may see improvement down the line...

Congrats on nearing the end! I just wanted to give you some feedback on your comments that if something was going to improve with this way of eating that it would have happened in the first 30 days. This is not true. There are many conditions which need longer than the 30 days to heal or see improvement and depending on what other health issues you've had at the time, your body can be prioritizing healing of other things. You've listed blood pressure, rash, cardiovascular health numbers and high cholesterol. That's a lot for your body to be dealing with and it stands to reason that you may need longer than 30 days.

I think if you choose to begin re-introduction and then mindfully eat, relying more on non inflammatory foods, you may see improvement down the line...

thanks, sugarcube! this is EXACTLY the kind of feedback i needed to make my decision. i wasn't saying it is the case that nothing more happens after 30 days, because i don't know -- i was posing the question, and you've answered it beautifully and in a way that feels right to me. my body IS dealing with a lot. recovering from cancer treatments, and now the TIAs and the necessity to really get serious about cardio health, etc. it makes absolute sense that my body would be prioritizing. since i have no burning desire to reintroduce anyway, and going longer can bring more healing i'm going to keep going. that was my gut all along...so i'll just go with that :).  thank you!

Archived