Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Congratulations BetsyJaney, social situations can be tough. For me, the best way to socialize is to host - you can have a few friends over to dinner and they will never know you are restricting your diet in any way. It took me some time, but I don't snack at all anymore. It's one of the biggest changes for me and I am convinced that it's a sign of a healthier metabolism. Snacking is strongly ingrained in our culture right now, so I have had to say "no" quite often.

Caedmon, my BP dropped from high normal to normal when I lost weight quickly about 5 years ago - because I had Lymes, unfortunately - but for me, it is definitely related to my weight. I hope you have the same experience as your weight continues to correct. I love your perspective on W30 eating, you look at it as a feast, and it really is.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mistyfire thanks I'll check those out. I made the beet and orange salad and it was delicious. Fresh beets taste nothing like canned. Go figure, huh!? Lol!

If you have a spiralizer, try making golden beets into noodles sometime and saute them. They're delicious.

Caedmon, my BP dropped from high normal to normal when I lost weight quickly about 5 years ago - because I had Lymes, unfortunately - but for me, it is definitely related to my weight. I hope you have the same experience as your weight continues to correct. I love your perspective on W30 eating, you look at it as a feast, and it really is.

that's good to know, stegner! i think it worked that way for me, too, when i was first diagnosed. i was already very active -- biked or walked to 6 miles round trip to work and back each day, swam and/or lifted weights at lunch...so it wasn't about not being in good cardiovascular shape. but i did spent a lot of the day sitting in front of a computer or in meetings and being that sedentary plus perimenopause added 15-20 lbs gradually. once i got the weight down and cut out the salt my bp was back to ideal, where it had always been before. now i'm not as active and i have that extra 20 lbs. i do have to ramp up the activity as well as drop the weight, just for general wellbeing. life is change, ain't it! and yes! it is a feast! well put!

good morning folks. day 29 here. i won't be doing reintroduction just yet. gonna go at least another 30. this morning's breakfast: oh so easy and oh so very yummy. the chef? mostly Trader Joe's. i chopped up a (compliant) aidell's garlic & artichoke sausage and threw it in the castiron skillet w/half a bag of TJs frozen fire-roasted medley (several colors of bell pepper plus onions) and sprinkled in some TJs toasted pine nuts (i love pine nuts). i heated up some TJs cauliflower rice in a non-stick saucepan. from stove to mouth? 10 minutes max. and omg cauliflower rice where have you been all my life?! perfect under stir-fries. i'm getting sick of chicken and cabbage -- those two braised dishes i did from nomnompaleo (delicious) did not appeal to my girls so once again i have more leftovers than i can eat. i think i'm going to freeze what's left and pull it out next week. on to sushi-grade albacore tuna steaks (also TJs). ooo maybe i'll make a Salade Niçoise!

good morning folks. day 29 here. i won't be doing reintroduction just yet. gonna go at least another 30. this morning's breakfast: oh so easy and oh so very yummy. the chef? mostly Trader Joe's. i chopped up a (compliant) aidell's garlic & artichoke sausage and threw it in the castiron skillet w/half a bag of TJs frozen fire-roasted medley (several colors of bell pepper plus onions) and sprinkled in some TJs toasted pine nuts (i love pine nuts). i heated up some TJs cauliflower rice in a non-stick saucepan. from stove to mouth? 10 minutes max. and omg cauliflower rice where have you been all my life?! perfect under stir-fries. i'm getting sick of chicken and cabbage -- those two braised dishes i did from nomnompaleo (delicious) did not appeal to my girls so once again i have more leftovers than i can eat. i think i'm going to freeze what's left and pull it out next week. on to sushi-grade albacore tuna steaks (also TJs). ooo maybe i'll make a Salade Niçoise!

Love the quick and easy meal! I feel a TJ attack coming on. I also like their Crustecean Salad mix. Sautées up well with your protein of choice. Has a little crunch to that's nice.

Morning all. I appreciate the meal ideas - I'm getting a little sick of chicken too.

On the topic of what to put under stir fries, I julienne slice zucchini and then I line up and cut the strips Into a fine dice. I add some more finely diced vegetables - mushrooms, red peppers and onions - for color and flavor and fry this mixture fast, in hot oil and use it as a base for stir fries. It sort of holds things together. I try to keep it on hand in the refrigerator. Cauliflower rice is good too. I have a construction project going on in my house right now and am finding that when things get noisy or tense, chopping vegetables is a great stress reliever. Carry on, W30 comrades.

Hi all, Day 17 for me. I'm jealous of all the TJ talk, unfortunately they haven't made it to Canada yet.  

I did make the shepherd's pie from the book, added a few things that Melissa Joulwan mentions in her shepherd's pie recipe and it was a complete hit.  Hubby says this is a keeper.  

I have finally lost the cravings - which is a relief but could still easily have a Diet Coke, glass of wine or coffee with sugar.  It's all about the drinking for me.  

I have to get a spiralizer - they make all of the recipes look so yummy.  

Caedmon22 I'm glad you'll still be with us and I was intrigued to hear about your Day 31 but I guess I'll have to wait.  

Hi all, Day 17 for me. I'm jealous of all the TJ talk, unfortunately they haven't made it to Canada yet.  

I did make the shepherd's pie from the book, added a few things that Melissa Joulwan mentions in her shepherd's pie recipe and it was a complete hit.  Hubby says this is a keeper.  

I have finally lost the cravings - which is a relief but could still easily have a Diet Coke, glass of wine or coffee with sugar.  It's all about the drinking for me.  

I have to get a spiralizer - they make all of the recipes look so yummy.  

Caedmon22 I'm glad you'll still be with us and I was intrigued to hear about your Day 31 but I guess I'll have to wait.

There is indeed something about having a glass in my hand! Seltzer with lemon or lime are nice. Kombucha is definitely incredibly satisfying for me. Ginger is my favorite flavor.

thanks, darlin. yeah...i'm just going to keep plowing forward. feels like the right thing to do...so i'll be keeping you guys company for a while :)

Good Morning over 50 folks! I've been lurking on this topic since it started but was not ready to commit until now. 

I'm 59 and will reach the grand six-oh later this year so I want to feel my best going into a new decade! I attempted a Whole30 about a year ago and made it to Day 11. I think that fits with the timeline of when people want to quit, and unfortunately I did just that. I mostly cook and eat paleo and have for a long time but I want the 30-day experience. Not a lot of weight to lose although I'd like to be rid of about 5 pesky pounds, but more than that I want better sleep and more energy. No major health issues but would like to clear up a couple of minor skin issues and some joint pain.

From reading the posts it sounds like some of you may be heading into another 30 days. I hope it's okay to join in and that this topic will keep on going. I'm actually going to start my Day 1 on Friday, 2/5. Thanks for letting me join!

I've decided to stop taking estrovene, my supplement for hot flashes. One of the ingredients listed is Soy isoflavones. From what I've learned that is not something I want to be taking. I'm hopeful that continuing on whole30 and not having any dairy I will be ok. Do any of you have hot flashes? If so, what has helped you lessen the severity and or frequency of them? By the way, that silken zucchini soup is the bomb! Love it!

I am 58 and my husband is 62. We started Whole 30 Feb 1 to help us feel better. I have MS and my husband has arthritis so we are counting on that anti inflammatory part as well as eating healthier. 

Bad habits creep up on you. Day 3 today and while I am not having a temper tantrum (yet) I am a little cranky today. Babysitting the granddaughter today so hopeful I get to nap with her!

Welcome to the new people on the thread!

Bemcb, I am well past hot flashes, but as I recall, alcohol was the only thing I consumed that was guaranteed to give me a hot flash every time.

I'm the same age as you, Joyce27, retiring soon, and thinking of all the things I want to do. I completed a W30 in the fall but am committed to eating this way almost all of the time from now on. I have been looking for a sustainable way to keep my weight down and my energy up for a long time, and this works for me. I will diet no more forever.

So the hot flashes will eventually go away? My Mom said the never do. But she is 81 and I'm fairly certain she isn't having any...she would be complaining if she were!

Mine did. When they go away seems to vary wildly from woman to woman. My mom also complained a lot about her various afflictions - so every year I'm still feeling pretty darn good comes as a lovely surprise. It was her gift to me, I guess.

It's kind of quiet on this topic today! It's the eve of my Whole30. I already know what I'm having for all my meals tomorrow. Since I tend to eat this way, I usually have plenty of compliant food on hand. But it's different when you know you are going into it wholeheartedly and strictly. Stegner, I'm jealous of your soon retirement! I will continue to work for a few more years, so I especially need the energy. Looking forward to the great sleep I always have when I work this plan the way it's meant to be worked. Looking forward to a great weekend and hope you are, too!

Greetings!  I'm starting a Whole30 on Monday. (February something or other --- um the 8th?)  Yeah that's it.

Oddly enough (and you may mock me) but I will be in Las Vegas for week 2.  Now, normally that would be a bad idea but I will be alone, in a Residence Inn making my own food (and even carrying a luncht to my conference sessions to which I will be walking).  I have my week's menu planned out and will go over to the grocery store nearby once I check into the room and see what I've got to work with.

I am 58.5.  I did a Whole 30 in November of 2014.  Since I've tried a few times and not succeeded a few times. 

I think most everyone on this thread is at a different place in their Whole30. I've finished and am doing reintros while you, joyce27 start tomorrow and you tinmaman57 start next week. It's amazing how quickly the 30 days fly by. Indeed, planning is everything. Enjoy the ride!

Joyce27, I hate the term "retirement." In Spanish, it's Jubilicion - that's what I'm going to do, and I'm going to need a lot of energy for it. I'm a little nervous at times, to be honest, but I too sleep really well when I eat this way.

Mistyfire, I finished my W30 some months ago, and I believe I am riding my own bike now.

Caedmon, what are you up to? I miss your steadfast cheerfulness!

Yes, onward with Day 1! Had a lovely breakfast of leftover zoodles, some compliant sausage, a poached egg with a dollop of homemade mayo. Should hold me well until lunch. A spiralizer has changed my life, ha. What a great invention! Mistyfire, it is good to know that the 30 days will fly by. I'm envious of those you have completed it and want to have that feeling for myself. Stegner, that's a great word instead of retirement. I know that if I were to leave my job, I would be busier than before with all of the wonderful hobbies and fun I enjoy. Even though I was only reading and not participating through posts earlier this year, I really do miss kathikay and hope she and her husband are doing well. Happy Friday to all!

Archived