Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Hi all, welcome to the new people, although I just got on here not too long ago myself.  Day 20 and I'm 57.5.  I feel great, cravings are gone but the Rosacea is still sticking around.  I final see a Dermatologist this week so hopefully she :unsure:  will be helpful. 

I just bought a sprializer, any tips on using it joyce27?  

Bemcbe, I am afraid to say that I'm going on at least 8 years of hot flashes and regretfully I had to go back on HRT - I just couldn't take it and thought it might be contributing to my rosacea.  I did go off for quite a while so I will try again after the whole30 and reintro.  

Mistyfire, how has reintro been going - have you found any issues?  

Made nomnom paleo's whole roasted cauliflower the other night - it was delicious and so easy!!!  I'm loving this veggie life.  

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all. Tinman57, your plan to cook for yourself in your hotel room reminds me of a relative who used to bring eggs, bacon, and an electric frying pan along on road trips. My parents thought it was kind of a hillbilly thing to do, but she made breakfast for them too and they changed their minds on that. On the topic of strategizing to eat well, I have a girlfriends' reunion coming up this weekend and I saw that the breakfast menu is muffins and fruit. I'm going to bring a dozen eggs. I think I'm not the only one who doesn't do well with muffins for breakfast. We're all in our 60th year.

Joyce27, I see I misspelled Jubilacion - an even better word, which for me, means "pack the electric frying pan and hit the road."

My hot flashes are hanging in there and I went into menapause at 40 after a hysterectomy, and I am 58.4. Older people are always cold, so they don't recognize a hot flash as a hot flash, they just feel warmer. My mom is 82 and she is still having them. Hot flashes are never timely for me now so I look forward to a time when they actually provide a benefit. LOL

Hi - Glad to see this support group!!! I'm 51 and never have tried any kind of fad or diet. My goal is to feel better, have more energy, and hopefully sleep an entire night! This is my second day and I'm feeling pretty good. I had a headache this morning but its better now. Also I feel a little nauseated in the mornings after I eat. I think it may be the eggs. :(   I read somewhere on here that you may gain a few pounds a first. Why is this? I don't have a weight issue, cause I like  exercise crazy. I workout with weights and walk on elliptical in the mornings and walk for about 40 minutes in the afternoon. So, with that said, my fear is gaining.  Any positive advice on my concern? 

hey folks -- been busy the past couple of days so have had to content myself with just keeping up with posts but not posting myself... first off welcome to all the new folks! the more the merrier! 

i'm almost at the end of day 33 (decided it would be more encouraging to me if i don't start the count over even though this is a second w30 in a row...). i had an amazing time with food on these three days. i started with a recipe from nomnompaleo -- the roasted garlic/mustard brussels sprouts, which i paired with a grilled yellowtail tuna recipe involving lemon/garlic marinade. i had a lot of tuna and brussels sprouts left over. so the next day i made a salade nicoise (my favorite salad IN the world) using Alice Waters' recipe as posted on epicurious. i didn't follow her recipe precisely -- i didn't use tomatoes b/c they are out of season and in my opinion inedible at this time of year. i used only one kind of green bean (she calls for two) and i used bottled fire-roasted red and yellow peppers instead of fresh yellow or orange peppers. my goal was to come as close as possible to a version of this salad that i love from a little bistro in berkeley (ca) where i used to live. (if you're in the bay area -- it's Liaison, on Shattuck. THE best salade nicoise ever.) they use fire-roasted peppers instead of fresh ones. the texture is amazing. i also didn't separate out the ingredients as she does, i put them together over a bed of sweet baby lettuces. i did do her dressing and omg. it is totally w30 compliant and it is SO good. you can use it in SO many ways.

because i am only cooking for one, i didn't follow the portions either (hers serves 8-10!) but i did make the full serving of dressing....b/c i had leftovers. OH yeah. leftovers. so i was able to have that salad or a version of it every day. finished it up today. yesterday and today i added trader joes baby beets. heaven. this morning for breakfast i sauteed up some shrimp along with the leftover garlic/mustard brussels sprouts (which includes whole cloves of roasted garlic...yum!) and added the final bunch of boiled baby potatoes from the salad nicoise (which have been sitting in the fridge marinating in the dressing for 3 days) and added the dressing so everything cooked in it...fried an egg crispy and then layered the veggies and egg over some cauliflower rice. then drizzled with balsamic vinegar. btw if you make the dressing do not skip the white onion. it MAKES the dressing.

i swear i just love cooking this way and discovering what i can do with what i've done. new combinations.

as to results...i've already mentioned my NSVs...and the fact that i don't weigh myself anyway. but according to my medical weigh-ins i have lost at LEAST 10 pounds in the first w30 and i would guess more b/c of how i pigged out and sat around at the holidays. that is a very respectable loss for one month. i did learn something as well...and that is that trader joe's macadamia nuts need to stay off the shopping list. so far those are the only things i've had in the house that have proved tempting w/respect to stuffing my face. cuz...yeah. just too yummy. bingeworthy.

I read somewhere on here that you may gain a few pounds a first. Why is this? I don't have a weight issue, cause I like  exercise crazy. I workout with weights and walk on elliptical in the mornings and walk for about 40 minutes in the afternoon. So, with that said, my fear is gaining.  Any positive advice on my concern? 

hi pmorrison and welcome! i can't speak to the weight gain thing -- i did not gain anything. in fact, because of medical issues that cropped up i have had 3 doctor visits within my first w30 (i'm doing another one back-to-back) and within a little over a week i had already dropped 4 pounds. since you are NOT going to weigh yourself this month (right? ;)  ) you won't be seeing any scale-weight gain. the warning i saw in the book has to do with it SEEMING like you are gaining weight because your body is getting used to a new way of eating. and that it is temporary and goes away in a few days. i honestly don't know what you would have to do to actually gain weight on this program. i am eating way more than "normal" for me and i've done nothing but drop weight (and i'm sure inches though i'm not measuring either.) so fear not. power on!

Hi - Glad to see this support group!!! I'm 51 and never have tried any kind of fad or diet. My goal is to feel better, have more energy, and hopefully sleep an entire night! This is my second day and I'm feeling pretty good. I had a headache this morning but its better now. Also I feel a little nauseated in the mornings after I eat. I think it may be the eggs. :(   I read somewhere on here that you may gain a few pounds a first. Why is this? I don't have a weight issue, cause I like  exercise crazy. I workout with weights and walk on elliptical in the mornings and walk for about 40 minutes in the afternoon. So, with that said, my fear is gaining.  Any positive advice on my concern?

I did my first W30 last spring. I lost 6 or 8 pounds- I don't even remember exactly. I weigh myself once a month and have lost a few pounds every month. Just finished my third one and lost another 4 pounds. Weight gain hasn't been an issue for me. What has continued to amaze me is that my body shape keeps shifting even when I've only lost a pound or two. But all that said, the NSV are really what is more meaningful to me. Relax. Follow the program. It's 30 days. Let it unfold and see what happens. Most of us have experienced great things.

Good morning all, someone on the forum site suggested checking out "2whollyfitchics" on fb....I did and loved their cooking videos. So fun to watch them cook and their excitement is contagious. I bought the cookbook they use, "Everyday Paleo". I'm heading out to the grocery store with new excitement! Happy Saturday !'

[quote name="Deerobert" post="369836" timestamp="1454683014"

Mistyfire, how has reintro been going - have you found any issues?  

Made nomnom paleo's whole roasted cauliflower the other night - it was delicious and so easy!!!  I'm loving this veggie life.

I only did one day of reintros this week - there just wasn't much different that I wanted. I did a day of legumes: peanut butter at breakfast, chickpeas at lunch and green peas at supper. All went well. Maybe I'll do gluten tomorrow. Or not....

A few months ago I got a Misto sprayer for my olive oil. I roasted some vegs for breakfast today and experienced what some on line reviews had said - that it clogs up. I was happy to find it really does clear with just pumping it up with very hot water. It's one of my most used kitchen devices- I'm afraid my roasted vegs are kind of like vegetable candy. And this from a girl who grew up believing she hated vegetables!

Hi all, Day 21.  Getting fed up with having to cook all the time, sorry to be negative but it is true.  And, I like to cook, but I am at the point of yearning for a trip to Pita Pit for lunch and not thinking about the dishes or preparation of food.  I guess it is a stage.   I never got any of the headaches or lousy feeling so maybe this is what I get.  

Welcome back, caedmon22, your description of what you have cooked and Bemcbe's mention of some good videos might inspire me again.  

You can choose to eat healthy or go out and eat poorly and pay the doc later. You don't have to be cooking all the time. You can spend a few hours one day a week and batch cook for the whole upcoming week. Go to www.meljoulwan.com (author of Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks) and look at her Whole30 batch cooking Weeks. I just spent 3 hours today and next week it won't take me more than 10 minutes to prepare any meal.

Deerobert - I also batch cook for the week. I roast lots of vegs and cook up some protein then I literally throw them together for very quick meals. I also do meals that don't have recipes. Tonight I browned some pork chops, put them on a bed of carrots and potatoes, added some water, covered and cooked. Very little prep, leftovers for a few more meals. Keeping it simple really helps. Good news is you're on the home stretch- hang in there!

Day 7 for me today. Woke up later than usual, but not feeling as tired as I have this past week. Still digestive issues...and tired but not as exhausted as I have been. Went shopping yesterday with my DIL and Son yesterday to make a Healthy Living run...its 2 hours away from me. I swear if I had a quarter for every time I picked up something and found added sugar in it, I could have covered at least half of the grocery bill. AMAZING all the added sugar when you take the time to read. 
Today is a cooking prep day as that has been my biggest issue so far. So as my gang all has the flu the Super Bowl gathering has been canceled. Can't say that I am unhappy about that. And as the DH is napping I don't think he is too upset either. Neither of us need to get the flu.

While I hate the meal planning it is a necessary step for this program. So I am going to bite the bullet today and make all the stuff I wanted to last week and didn't have time to make, and with my shiny new food processor...as the 39 year old one blew up during the mayo disaster.

Hi all, Day 21.  Getting fed up with having to cook all the time, sorry to be negative but it is true.  And, I like to cook, but I am at the point of yearning for a trip to Pita Pit for lunch and not thinking about the dishes or preparation of food.  I guess it is a stage.   I never got any of the headaches or lousy feeling so maybe this is what I get.  

Welcome back, caedmon22, your description of what you have cooked and Bemcbe's mention of some good videos might inspire me again.

A few things come to mind - I always have chopped raw vegetables in containers in the refrigerator and after I use up what's in the container, I rinse and refill it. I also keep containers of cooked meat in the refrigerator. I always wash my pans immediately after plating my meal, while the pan is still hot. They are very easy to clean at that point and it really cuts down on the mess in the kitchen. Pre-made sauces help a lot in putting together a quick meal. Vegetables sautéed with protein and a zippy sauce is how I eat most of the time.

Good luck to you, Deerobert

hey deerobert -- i felt EXACTLY the same way right around then...EXACTLY. my solution was Trader Joe's.  they have lots of yummy compliant frozen veggie things. plus frozen pre-cooked shrimp and langostino (easy quick protein). it really helped to be able to just reach into the freezer and have stuff to play with. that plus salads with protein (instead of doing recipes for every meal) plus simple stir-fries pretty much fixed it for me. this pass i'm keeping it SUPER simple. i'll prolly do a new recipe or two once a week. other than that it's playing with easy combos. i'm also not going to make any more huge recipes that give me a week of leftovers eating the same thing. yuck. you'll find your balance. and the good news is that if you're sticking to the w30 (rather than doubling or tripling up like some of us) you'll be done in 9 days anyway. you can do this. hang in there.

A few things come to mind - I always have chopped raw vegetables in containers in the refrigerator and after I use up what's in the container, I rinse and refill it. I also keep containers of cooked meat in the refrigerator. I always wash my pans immediately after plating my meal, while the pan is still hot. They are very easy to clean at that point and it really cuts down on the mess in the kitchen. Pre-made sauces help a lot in putting together a quick meal. Vegetables sautéed with protein and a zippy sauce is how I eat most of the time.

Good luck to you, Deerobert

these are all excellent tips. thanks, stegner! when you say pre-made sauces, do you mean you made them, in advance? or have you found some compliant sauces out there you can recommend? and if you're making them, which ones? so far i have been supremely underwhelmed with the dressings and sauces in the book.

I swear if I had a quarter for every time I picked up something and found added sugar in it, I could have covered at least half of the grocery bill. AMAZING all the added sugar when you take the time to read. 

i know, right buttercup?! i'm still gobsmacked. almost everything on the shelves is a "no"...what an eye-opener! i still see things when i shop that i haven't checked out, that seem like they might not have added sugar. but yup. i'm at the point where i've read so many labels on so many products i pretty much know i might as well plan on making my own....and i'm a cancer survivor so it behooves me to eliminate as much sugar as possible. cancer cells loooooooovvvvve sugar. 

Okay yesterday went well in terms of compliance but, I was not able to do all the cooking I needed to do. Success finally on the mayo, thanks to the new food processor. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Today is the beginning of my second week. Still waiting for all the magic healthy signs. I did sleep better last night. Still pretty tired, but as an MS Warrior, I am always am tired. My MS and arthritis are my motivation for embarking on this healthy eating journey. Every little bit of feeling better is helpful and I will grab it!

I

these are all excellent tips. thanks, stegner! when you say pre-made sauces, do you mean you made them, in advance? or have you found some compliant sauces out there you can recommend? and if you're making them, which ones? so far i have been supremely underwhelmed with the dressings and sauces in the book.

I found some compliant curry pastes in the coop - I add them to a stir fry, then add a little chicken broth and coconut milk and I have a very easy curry. I always have homemade chimichurri on hand - my favorite is cilantro, garlic, light olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Parsley, basil, hot peppers, and capers are possible additions or substitutions. I use a plop of this and a plop of homemade mayo to perk up curries and other meals. I have a lot of homemade tomatillo and tomato sauce in my freezer and I thaw that, put it in the blender to thicken it, and add some fresh herbs or chimichurri. And homemade tapenade is my new best friend.

Getting fed up with having to cook all the time, sorry to be negative but it is true.  And, I like to cook, but I am at the point of yearning for a trip to Pita Pit for lunch and not thinking about the dishes or preparation of food.  I guess it is a stage.

You don't have to cook all the time.  You got some great tips above. Make friends with a crock pot too.

Also, leverage things like sardines, compliant canned tuna, chicken and salmon. Compliant hot dogs once in a while. Have things like sweet potatoes or compliant sauerkraut always on hand, along with homemade mayo and celery, and with all these items, you have many protein/veg/fat meal options.  

I guess I'm pretty lucky that I don't mind repeat meals. I absolutely love leftovers. While they're reheating, I'm putting together the next day's lunch so I'm not scrounging around in the morning. Putting in a little extra time on the weekend makes my weekdays so much easier.

Archived