Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Okay, folks I am over 50 and finishing up day 19. My husband and I are both doing this, which makes it easier. Overall, we both feel really good. Right now, this very minute, I am a bit tired of it all. I don't want to  think about dinner and just eat whatever is around. Which is not much, sadly, since we are Whole30 and need to go to the store. But, my mantra the past couple of days is "DO NOT CAVE!"

I have lost weight, we have not been bloated, we are eating clean food. We are not snacking hardly at all. We are staying compliant with the food. Although we have had a couple of occasions of apple/almond butter overload. But, this is such a huge improvement over where we were 20 days ago.

I am working out more. Started a barre class yesterday evening and it was heavenly. Highly recommend it! My energy level is improving and my sleep is deep. I have had crazy dreams. Not sure why that is.

Lets keep it up and I will not cave. Not sure how we will transition to post W30, but we have time to plan for that.

Best to you all

Welcome Cyndi!  I'm on day 5 and more nervous about day 20 than tomorrow!  Thats when I fell off the Whole30 wagon last time.  I can see where you would get tired of it.  Hats off to you!  I can tell by your post that you are gonna make this! 

Schedule

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello! New to the forum. I started on the first, so this is day 8 for me. I was feeling no different until the afternoon of day seven, and then I began to feel foggy and drained of energy. Today I am a slug. And a stay at home mom to a tween and a toddler. LOL. Fun. Seems late in the timeline for the food withdrawal fatigue - anyone else struggling after a week with energy?

Hi Jen - I am certainly not an expert but I guess that you and your body will react the way it does and there are not set and fast "this will happen on this day". I think the Whole30 peeps on high ( :) ) just give that as a guideline.  

I've been struggling all week with energy and tonight am just trying to stay focused and NOT cheat in any way shape or form. It's 7:30ish pm and so far so good! But I am starting to think about eating a spoonful of coconut oil as suggested, although I cant imagine that will help, I will try it if my stomach grumbles one more time. 

Cyndi - stick with it!! YOU CAN DO IT!! You've come so far and should be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I remember last year days 20-23 are a challenge cause you're almost there but not quite. Stick with it girl!!! You will be our hero in here as you are ahead of the group.

As always, reading the messages in here keeps me on point too. 

Thanks all!!

Day 5 and still alive!  Wouldn't that make a  nice tattoo?  But then I"d need one for day 6, 7...etc.  

Agree with TCans, the weekend is here and I'm a bit nervous.  It is usually filled with at least 2 restaurants and several glasses of my favorite chardy. It's our daughters bday on sunday and where is the party?  In wine country just outside of Seattle at one of my fave restaurants..ugh.   I've already got my strategy worked out as well as my lunch order and am feeling strong.  My husband is so supportive and has been going along with me..not perfectly , he is at about 80/20. 80 percent Whole30 and 20 percent wine and cookies :).  But I sure appreciate it.    He has offered to ice tea it with me at our daughters party.  Now if that isn't love what is!

So if I post this and it says 'schedule' at the bottom...just know that it isn't a secret code (that was funny)...it's just one more way I am technically challenged!  I am not posting from a smart phone...just my MAC.   No idea why that always shows up...I guess it's my 'signature'.

Have a great weekend guys - 3 more and we will be celebrating our wonderfulness!  

That is wonderful that your partner is supporting you. Mine is too at about the same 80/20 as yours. He's having his Scotch, but that  doesn't bother me...ok, it does make me a little jealous ;)  Having someone to help out and keep one accountable does help!

I actually  have a food blog (didn't want to mention it because i didn't start this thread to promote...I just need support!).  But you can find me at laughing spatula.com where I have a plethora of whole30 recipes!  If there is one thing I know...it's how to eat:).

Schedule

i will definitely check your blog out! love the name  :D

Hi Everyone! I started my first Whole30 Monday Jan 4, so this is Day 5 for me. My sister and her husband are on their 2nd round, and they had great results; they encouraged me to dive in. 

Over last weekend, while reading the book and going shopping, I was kind of panicking (what am I committing too???) but once I got going it was okay. I didn't eat much in the way of extra sugar and grains anyway. I'm going to be reacting to missing dairy and wine.

So far so good, though this is my first Friday night without a cocktail. But it's feeling okay. I'm feeling determined to see it through and hopefully ease my symptoms of inflammation and creeping up blood pressure. 

Doing the 7-day meal plan from the book; SO MUCH FOOD! But going well.

Glad to have a place to read about the experiences of others.

hey folks -- long busy day 5 for me, out and about. what i'm noticing so far is that i am sleeping beautifully all night (versus my normal insomniac wake-up call between 2 and 4 a.m.) and waking up pretty much ready to get out of bed instantly (instead of pulling the cover over my head and hoping i can sleep through the family noise on a school day). that alone just feels so good. but i'm also noticing that i am feeling calmer (i had been suffering some pretty intense post-cancer anxiety the last several months), more present in my body. i just finished the last of my leftovers from the first two days of trying to follow the 7-day meal plan (!) and tonight i'm baking an acorn squash, steaming up some cauliflower, and my daughter is making steak with onions and mushrooms. i'm keeping it simple and unambitious going forward, but will prolly try a new recipe every day. i got enough steak that we'll have leftovers and then i'm going to do the steak salad in the book (sounds so yummy) tomorrow. so far i'm loving this. still a bit brain-foggy. i take natural horsemanship lessons and i had a lesson today...my teacher is top-notch and i kept noticing that as she explained very simple stuff to me it would just go over my head. brain fog. it was a wonderful time though (always, with horses!!). right now i am craving nothing. never hungry. my body loves this way of being fed. 

I didn't eat much in the way of extra sugar and grains anyway. I'm going to be reacting to missing dairy and wine.

Doing the 7-day meal plan from the book; SO MUCH FOOD! But going well.

hi bonnie! i am somewhat like you in that i wasn't big on grains, or bread -- though i would eat what was available in a pinch -- and not a big sugar hound, but wine was something i thought i would miss. truth is, i don't! miss it at all! amazing to me (and good to know) how when i'm feeding my body this way, i don't have any interest in alcohol (or sugar). as to the 7-day meal plan...i started out with that and ended up having so much food left over (and being so frazzled from all that cooking and cleaning up and cooking and cleaning up) i ended up slowing way down with it. day 5 and i just finished all my leftovers from the first two days of that. but i love the recipes. so i'm still going to keep using that plan to start...just with a lot more space between cooking :). also, i tried to follow their "this is two servings" thing, and just couldn't. i can't possibly eat that much! i'll be curious to see how the meal plan works for you....

Thanks for the positive @TCans and @Kathikay. I am feeling very motivated today. I realized that one activity my husband and I can have is to plan some meals together. Also, one big helper for me is to make a b'fast casserole, super easy and solves my ugg feeling towards eggs.

I line the bottom of a lasagne size pan with prosuitto. (lightly brush ghee or some oil on first), then sauté onions, mushrooms and gr peppers adding spinach at the end. whip up a dozen eggs, combine all ingredients and pour into pan. I also, microwaved some sweet potatoes and then scooped the out and put dollops around the mix after I poured it in. Backed until firm. 

I put salsa on this to enjoy it more. Also, it will freeze well and heats up easily.

Day 20 and I won't cave!

Good morning all. I love to walk, always have, always will, but I lift weights because I need to. It has its satisfactions - it makes me feel powerful and squares up my shoulders - but I have to make myself do it. It helps a bit to keep my weights in a basket in my living room, where I can't ignore them. I am reading Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat... , and listening to a podcast, Happier, with Gretchen Rubin, for motivation. Any others get motivation from books/podcasts? Of course the W30 books are great, but I've already read them.

Rocky sounds like a terrific treadmill movie.

I often listen to The Nom Nom Paleo podcast when I'm doing my weekly cook up. While they are definitely under 50 ( while I am definitely not!), they're just so much fun to listen to. I've gotten some great ideas and learned a lot in the process. They entertain and inspire!

This is a great thread, all!

Hi all,

Survived the first full week and already into the second -- it is going well, but the adjustments have been a bit of a roller coaster.

I am totally with all of you who find the portions HUGE. I think they are really designed for young athletic types, not 5-foot tall small people in their 60s. I do not have weight to lose, just want to get the alcohol habit shut down, exercise back up to where it usually is, and a period of depression and food comforting over with. But I really feel better now that I have cut way back on the red meat (fish is my best friend right now) and the starchy vegetables. I found that something like sweet potato is OK as one small ingredient in a stir-fry or something, but in larger amounts, combined with the amounts of fat, it was killing my digestion. I also am limiting the types of fat and sticking to the smaller amounts recommended. In any case, I hope that the adjustment period is going well for all of you - it is slow for me, but mentally I am feeling good and having no cravings. I get a bit emotional sometimes, but I think that is good. The past few months I have kept all of that shut down. 

Enjoy the weekend!  I'm going to look for the nom nom paleo podcasts. great idea!

@Cyndy - Holy cow that casserole sounds fabulous!  Did you get the recipe somewhere or just make it up?  Love to see a pic of that.  

@Stegner - I walk 2 miles a day and am adding another half mile this week, That podcast sound like fun.  I love that gal on nom nom!.  She is so cute!

Day 6 and I am on day 2 of bad sleep and waking up feeling hung over without the fun the night before.  I guess I couldn't just sail through this after being such a bad, bad girl for months.  Detox is a B.

Heading to Alki Beach with hubs for a nice cold walk then to one of our fave restaurants where we will have spinach salad with compliant salmon and bringing our own dressing.  Two ice teas then going to binge watch Making of a Murder this afternoon.  Seahawks play tomorrow morning then lunch for our daughters bday.  Again, got my food and drink all pre-planned.    Super helpful to have husband on board...not sure how it would go if he were not.

Going to enjoy the heck out of this weekend and feel good on Monday!  Go us!

Morning all, I'd love to go for for a 2.5 mile walk this morning, Kathikay, but it's wicked cold out there. I'll try the nom nom podcast - thanks. My kids are home for a couple of days this weekend, but cooking and eating has been easy - they eat pretty much the way I eat. And both of them cook.

Hi Everyone, I would love to join this group. I am going to be 59 in February and I've successfully completed a Whole30 in the past, however, I backslid right back to where I was before...and then some. I'm looking to do this again and prayerfully actually allow the lessons and new way of eating to penetrate my brain cells so that I stick with a healthy eating lifestyle, rather than run right back to the junk I put in my body that got me to where I am. I started on 1-9-16, because of a cold/flu that I caught right before the 1st. I'm hoping that's ok. 
Thanks and I look forward to reading all your posts and "meeting" you all. 

Hi all, today is day 1 and I am nervously excited. I was planning to begin tomorrow. Monday just seems like the right day to start something new. But my test black coffee went so well I thought--why wait? Let's do this!

It may sound silly but drinking my coffee black was one of my biggest concerns! I'd like to hear from you what we're your biggest concerns and how did you plan for them?

@Cyndy - Holy cow that casserole sounds fabulous!  Did you get the recipe somewhere or just make it up?  Love to see a pic of that.  

I saw a recipe for egg muffins doing the same thing, but in cupcake tins. I have made egg casseroles before and they are super easy and flawless. The cupcake tins were lined with proscuitto and I just thought how much easier to make it in a casserole dish.  basically, just beat up a dozen or more eggs for a lasagne size dish and sauté all the veggies you want, mix it all together add seasoning. I go easy on the salt due to salty ham. I added sweet potatoes at the end. Bake 350 for about 30 minutes or until firm and cooked through.

A few slices of avocado, some salsa verde, great easy breakfast. Also, freezes well.

Tonight I am making Chicken cacciatore out of the W30 book. I have made several of their recipes and so far all good and very easy. I try to make up turkey sausage ahead of time, also. This really helps me stay on target and deal with my dread of cooking dinner.  I am often tired by dinner time, so anything that is easy or that I can make ahead is always appealing.

We can do this. No caving in!

Also, I printed up the 6 food "no-nos" and taped it to my dresser mirror in my bedroom, I see it every night before I go to bed and every morning when I wake up.

Honestly, if I can find a way to keep this lifetime and just add red wine, I will be one happy camper.

Cyndy

One last thing. If you haven't signed up for the Whole Daily. I highly recommend it. It really keeps me going and is very worth the $15. Every morning it is the first thing I read. In the evening you can click that you made it or need to start over. Honestly, if I am 95% compliant, I am not starting over. The I made it click brings up a positive, often funny "hooray for you" response.

Hi Everyone, I would love to join this group. I am going to be 59 in February and I've successfully completed a Whole30 in the past, however, I backslid right back to where I was before...and then some. I'm looking to do this again and prayerfully actually allow the lessons and new way of eating to penetrate my brain cells so that I stick with a healthy eating lifestyle, rather than run right back to the junk I put in my body that got me to where I am. I started on 1-9-16, because of a cold/flu that I caught right before the 1st. I'm hoping that's ok. 

Thanks and I look forward to reading all your posts and "meeting" you all. 

Welcome!  The more the merrier and doesn't matter what your start date is...just jump in!  Look forward to you expertise since you have completed a W30 before!

Schedule

Honestly, if I can find a way to keep this lifetime and just add red wine, I will be one happy camper.

Cyndy - a Hell Ya to that!  Holy cow, it's the one thing I miss the most!  But if I can't give it up for 30 days then I better check myself into rehab!  LOL!

Schedule

Day 7  and I got the bad tummy just like last time!  Too much fiber.  I'll save ya the details but I was sick all night.  Was only able to have a banana and some almond butter so pretty darn hungry this morning.  

Off for my 2 mile walk before the Seahawks game where I will not be having wine...repeat, no wine!  :).

Schedule

Hi all, today is day 1 and I am nervously excited. I was planning to begin tomorrow. Monday just seems like the right day to start something new. But my test black coffee went so well I thought--why wait? Let's do this!

It may sound silly but drinking my coffee black was one of my biggest concerns! I'd like to hear from you what we're your biggest concerns and how did you plan for them?

I think that coffee thing is pretty common.  I used to be addicted to half and half in my coffee but I got to like black so much on my last Whole30 that it stuck with me!  Get really, really good coffee.  Don't be tempted for the 3 buck off stuff.  Starbucks House or Breakfast blend for me.  One tablespoon per cup will give you a perfect cup!  I find the biggest obstacles for me is my ever going social life.  Restaurants and get togethers but I always have a plan before I step out that door and it helps sooo much!  I also have a protein and fat before I go....like chicken and avocado so I don't get there hungry.  You will do great!

Schedule

Go Hawks, Kathikay!!!!! I live in Morton, Wa. Can't wait for the game. Only wish I'd seen your yummy Oven Baked Crispy Chicken Thighs with Garlic, Lemon and Scallions recipe, from your blog, prior to the game! That would have been a perfect sub for chicken wings! Gonna have the wings and celery and don't forget the hot sauce! 

P.S. If I don't respond in a timely manner to someone, please forgive me. For some reason, I'm having a heck of a hard time with my facebook signon for this forum, this time around. It keeps kicking me offline and then I have to resign in and hope it doesn't kick me out again before I can post something. Ugh!!!

good morning everybody. i meant to post yesterday but i ended up having a TIA (mini-stroke) mid-day (not a fun experience) and spending the afternoon in emergency being tested/evaluated etc. even with all that medical fun i still kept to my whole30 foods. thank the goddess for leftovers :). didn't manage lunch though, as i was in the hospital. feeling better today, though very tired. this morning's breakfast was a lovely leftover green beans scramble with compliant aidells garlic/sun-dried tomato sausage and some kalamata olives on the side, followed by my standard ruby red grapefruit. i'm out of bone broth so i'm hoping to find some compliant boxed (somebody mentioned Pacifc brand) for the interim till i can get some bones from that local butcher and make some more. i was going to do my meal plan for week two yesterday (but my brain had other plans) and shopping pre-cooking today (but i'm on orders to rest up over the weekend). i'll have to take it a day at a time for a bit. no problem since i work at home and my time is my own. 

Archived