Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Wow Caedmon! Can't believe you stayed on program even in the hospital! That's real dedication. I'm 63 and 4 days in.  I have a lot of osteoarthritis in my knees from playing competitive volleyball for 27 years of my life. I'm hoping that this diet will help with the knee pain as I'm still really active playing Pickleball (fastest growing sport in the US). I'm also hoping it helps with hot flashes. So far the flashes have been worse but today I noticed that I haven't had many.  Maybe it's working!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Caedmon! Can't believe you stayed on program even in the hospital! That's real dedication. I'm 63 and 4 days in.  I have a lot of osteoarthritis in my knees from playing competitive volleyball for 27 years of my life. I'm hoping that this diet will help with the knee pain as I'm still really active playing Pickleball (fastest growing sport in the US). I'm also hoping it helps with hot flashes. So far the flashes have been worse but today I noticed that I haven't had many.  Maybe it's working!

thanks, swanee :). i was lucky in that i had choices. and they were yummy :)

Hi everyone, I am Sue, turned 51 in December. This is my first Whole30 and I am 7 days in. My daughter encouraged me to read It All Starts With Food due to her concern for me, I have recently developed arthritis in my thumb. It was time to make some healthy changes for my over 50 body. I took my daughter advice, read the book and here I am. So far so good. Today wasn't the best day, I have had some sugar cravings and I am irritable but nothing too bad.

Hi, I have recently developed arthritis in my thumb too! Also have a finger that locks in the bent position. Not fun! Let's hope this program helps us both out with this stuff!

Hi everyone, I am Sue, turned 51 in December. This is my first Whole30 and I am 7 days in. My daughter encouraged me to read It All Starts With Food due to her concern for me, I have recently developed arthritis in my thumb. It was time to make some healthy changes for my over 50 body. I took my daughter advice, read the book and here I am. So far so good. Today wasn't the best day, I have had some sugar cravings and I am irritable but nothing too bad.

Hi, I have recently developed arthritis in my thumb too! Also have a finger that locks in the bent position. Not fun! Let's hope this program helps us both out with this stuff!

Good Morning!

@ Caedmon - so impressed with your tenacity.  When I was contemplating reaching for my hubs glass of wine last night to just 'take a sip' I thought of you and stayed strong!  You hang in there...thinking of you!

Welcome Swanee and Sue! So glad you dropped in!

Did you guys notice that last night this thread was number 1 on this forum?  So much better than number 2 ..ha!  Oh ya, funny this morning.  Somebody got some well needed sleep!  Had a little help from my medicine cabinet but I was desperate.  I have almost gone off plan 100 times and mostly from just being tired.  I soooo needed that sleep last night.   

Recipe for the day.    3 minute Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette.  I make this in double batches and put it on everything.  In a blender or using an immersion blender (I use a nutria bullet - left over from my last diet :).  Just throw it all in.  

Juice from one lemon

1 large garlic clove chopped

2 tablespoons dijon (compliant of course)

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

3/4 cup light olive oil

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

Blend for 15 seconds.  It gets all creamy and stuff.  Dijon is a natural emulsifier so everything comes together and stays that way.  Won't separate.   Then I pour into one of those plastic small tip bottles to keep from over saturating my salad. I bought the cutest little salad dressing container at Bed, Bath and Beyond and tote this dressing everywhere!  Life saver!  

Off to Costco for Mo meat and Mo veggies!

Have a great day!

Day 5 and I am feeling left out.  I don't have any headaches and I am not hungry between meals (with one exception and I had some turkey carcass soup with an avocado instead of a fruit snack which is what I would have done before) and I am sleeping great!. Perhaps I didn't offroad as bad as I thought. The two biggest challenges for me are:  1) no eggs for breakfast.  Remember I am doing an AIP Whole 30. I have found some great recipes but just not the same; 2) not looking for something to crunch on - like plantain chips or the latest new paleo cracker.  I love the salty savory crunch.  I am over the sweet stuff. Of course I don't have any of it in the house so I just have a cup of tea in the evening - peppermint and chamomile with lavender.  Very nice.  And the best is to get into a hot bath right before bed.  Awesome!

Still eating on my left over Italian Pork Roast that I cooked earlier in the week.  Next I am going to try chicken livers.  I found some pastured chicken livers through US Wellness Meats.  I will fry one package first.  Next I will make some pate.  Yummm!

I work at home but have two dogs, one a puppy and they both need attention so that gets me up and walking them several times a day.

Keep going strong!  I know it will be worth it for all of us.

I am doing an extra restrictive W30 as well but not quite AIP. I am avoiding all nuts and nightshades because I have observed sensitivities to them. Also I am allergic to coconut so that's a pretty big hit, too. I think the only thing I didn!t cut out is eggs. I get tired of them though. What are you having for breakfast on AIP?

Costco is the best. It's some distance from my house but I love the quality and prices. Last time I was there I tried some farmed salmon from Norway and it was so much better than other farmed salmon I've tried.

I feel much better about eating this way when I have the refrigerator stocked with containers of cut-up vegetables and protein. I'm always 5 minutes from a great sauté. Two things that really help when I'm trying to make a new habit is convenience and accountability. This group is my accountability and prepped food in my refrigerator is my convenience.

This looks like a great vinaigrette recipe Kathikay - thanks. I have a 4-day weekend coming up and am praying for snowshoe snow.

Melimuse, if it does happen, just ride it out. It WILL be worth it. And thanks, he was the BEST. DOG. EVER.

Swanee, I struggled with black coffee too. Now, I use a small carton of compliant coconut milk for coffee throughout the weekend, but during the week at work, I drink it black. It helps to buy really good coffee! I like Italian roast.

Thanks for the encouragement! My doggie helped me tide out days 10 and eleven, he's the best. Yesterday my boyfriend brought me a huge bage of homemade kale chips, he's a kerper too, and listened while I vented about work frustrations. Dog walking, Kale chips and a listening ear were successful coping mechanisms to get me through!

Today's day twelve was super!! I felt great all day, and the magical beef bone broth was so satisfying at lunch that I decided I could probably survive for a week on one batch! I got in two dog walks at an amaxong, pain free clip (I have osteoarthritis) that had my pup prancing, nudging my hand in encoragement and smiling widely at me! I even did some yoga and foam rolling before dinner. Now all that remains is a good night's sleep.

In the mornings, I splash a few drops of doterra cinnamon oil in my coffee, as I can't have coconut or other nut milk due to those alletgies. It tastes great!

@ Caedmon - so impressed with your tenacity.  When I was contemplating reaching for my hubs glass of wine last night to just 'take a sip' I thought of you and stayed strong!  You hang in there...thinking of you!

thanks, darlin! and i'm so happy that i inspired you to move past that moment of temptation -- proud of you! and thanks for the lemon-dijon vinaigrette recipe. omg yum. i just came back from shopping for the next few days and on impulse picked up some more light olive oil (that stuff is SO expensive! i have to find a better place to get it)...now i see why! gonna use it on my red snapper tonight!

I too suffer from osteoarthritis in my thumb I am wondering if I should cut out all nightshades and eggs.Sue make sure you solve your arthritis problem-mine has effected other parts of my hand. I am on day 11 and felt sorry for myself because I could not have samples from whole foods☺ I am doing better today and my husband is getting a little tired of this program. It is nice to have this support.

deg

hey there folks. i just counted up the days since i started, and it's already day 11! i lost track b/c of being in the hospital etc. anyway, so far i have experienced very little of the book's predictions about what i'd be feeling as the days progress. been sleeping like a baby and waking up early ready to get up (both very unusual for me). never got the crankiness, although early on i did find all that cooking and cleaning up and cooking again stressful. i am tired this week but that's as likely to be my body recovering from the TIAs as it is the diet. i haven't had a single craving. not one. not even for wine (which would be my downfall if i were going to have a downfall).

i've figured out how to do this so it works better for me...planning and shopping for a few days in advance and then seeing what the recipes yield for leftovers instead of assuming i'm going to be able to eat the way the 7-day plan lays out. improvising. sticking to the simpler recipes so i don't get overwhelmed. so far i haven't LOVED the dressings...the mayo, the ranch dressing, the vinaigrette. so i'm not doing those. i did try kathy's lemon-dijon last night on my fish and oh man yum. so i'll stick with hers for the most part. thank you kathy!!!!

i'm not weighing myself or even looking in the mirror to see what's changing. but i can feel in my body that i've trimmed down. yesterday at my follow-up with my primary doc i weighed in 5 lbs lighter than i had when i went for a cancer follow-up with my radiation oncologist in mid-november. that's astonishing to me, because i was eating and drinking like a lumberjack all through the holidays. and i had clearly put on weight from that before i started the w30. so it's looking like eating this way is melting the pounds away at a rapid clip.

early on i was tinking with the idea of making this a whole60. now--in the aftermath of the TIAs this weekend, what happened to my blood pressure, how much higher my cholesterol is than it was last year--it's a no-brainer. i'll be interested to see what happens to those numbers after 2 months. meanwhile, vegan friends are banging my door down hoping i'll become vegan. you know, because plant-based is really the only healthy way to eat. especially if you have cardio-vascular medical issues. well...maybe. but i'm going to give this a shot first.

recipe report -- made the butternut squash/kale/chard dish last night to go with my red snapper. omg. SO so yummy. that one is going to be one i make a LOT. had some for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top. again. superyum. i deviated from the recipe a bit in that i seasoned the butternut squash chunks with garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper before roasting. other than that i followed it to the letter. i love this cookbook!

Hiya everyone! Melissa from Southern California, I am a 54 year old wife, mommy to three daughters and a NICU RN/Lactation Consultant. I am starting the W30 for the first time tomorrow morning. I had a gastric bypass 15 years ago and lost 200 pounds but in the last 10 years I have gained back 50 pounds frowning.png I am having more reflux, and joint pain. Knowing that the whole 30 is an anti-inflammatory lifestyle I know this is the best way for me. I have done high protein low carb before and did well but I was able to eat dairy. I am a bit concerned about my morning coffee that I will not be able to have splenda in tomorrow, I plan on using coconut milk and cinnamon and I am considering making golden milk tea made with tumeric which tastes sort of like chai tea.

Sending positive thoughts to all of you as we begin this journey together!

Good Morning!

@Caedmon - You are kicking butt girlfriend!  Personally I can barely tolerate making this 30 days so even thinking of going longer than that makes me cringe.  You go!

Welcome Melissa - Get some really good coffee, it helps!  I use one tablespoon per cup (per Ina Garten and Ina doesn't lie).  It makes a perfect cup! I've become a complete coffee snob and won't buy anything but Starbucks.  I figure if I'm not buying 20 dollar bottles of wine I can have some good coffee.

I am already at the 'so done with this' part on day 12...isn't supposed to happen until day 20. ( I've always been an over achiever.) Life is happening as it does and  I find it really hard right now.  However I am loving some of the benefits.  The joint pain in my hands has reduced by about 75 percent.  Even the swelling around my knuckles is pretty much gone.  (too  much computer use over the years.  Have had two surgeries so this is pretty amazing!).  

Taking in a movie tomorrow after swim class - gonna rain all weekend in Seattle.  Got any suggestions?  Revanent is too dreary...wills save that but maybe Joy or Brooklyn?  

TGIF!

Morning all. Welcome Melissa and thanks for sharing your story. Dairy is a tough one for me too. I finished my 30 days in the fall and wanted to add a few dairy items back into my diet, but it obviously causes inflammation - I have a couple of rashly patches and a recurring pimple (!) that appear when I'm eating cheese and disappear when I'm not eating cheese. I have known for a long time that I'm lactose intolerant, but my skin reacts to dairy fat too. It is dose dependent though, so I'm not completely breaking up with cheese. Just a nibble, now and then.

When I was walking with the dog yesterday, I was thinking about settling into eating this way from now on. It's basically how my grandmother ate, and she was lean and active well into her 90s. When I was getting plump in my teens, she advised me to cut way back on bread and potatoes... At that time, this was considered an old wives tale and the modern approach was to cut way back on fat. Old wives are way smarter than they ever got credit for.

Hey, KatK,

I appreciate your dedication to this thread. Let's make sure it stays lively.

For movies, if you like comedies with an ironic subtext, I have read that The Big Short" is really good. Sort of a combination of laughing and feeling superior. I try to feel that way as much as possible ;-)

I have also been wondering if your calendar app is hijacking your texts...schedule.or maybe the gods of satellite technology feel that you are way to loose with your time management, and keep trying to tell you to get with a ...schedule. or, most likely of all, you are secretly obsessed with everyone getting organized, so you feel the need to remind us all to get ourselves...scheduled!

So, two weeks and counting on this cold/flu. I am at that final stage when you feel guilty for not being 100%--when my dear mother would start making snarky comments under her breath that "SOME of us just get on with it." Ah well. I did get to the market yesterday, so we have plenty of supplies again. The threat of no coffee this morning was highly motivating.

Hey y'all, Day 12! Congrats to us

exercise

Good Morning!

@Caedmon - You are kicking butt girlfriend!  Personally I can barely tolerate making this 30 days so even thinking of going longer than that makes me cringe.  You go!

Welcome Melissa - Get some really good coffee, it helps!  I use one tablespoon per cup (per Ina Garten and Ina doesn't lie).  It makes a perfect cup! I've become a complete coffee snob and won't buy anything but Starbucks.  I figure if I'm not buying 20 dollar bottles of wine I can have some good coffee.

I am already at the 'so done with this' part on day 12...isn't supposed to happen until day 20. ( I've always been an over achiever.) Life is happening as it does and  I find it really hard right now.  However I am loving some of the benefits.  The joint pain in my hands has reduced by about 75 percent.  Even the swelling around my knuckles is pretty much gone.  (too  much computer use over the years.  Have had two surgeries so this is pretty amazing!).  

Taking in a movie tomorrow after swim class - gonna rain all weekend in Seattle.  Got any suggestions?  Revanent is too dreary...wills save that but maybe Joy or Brooklyn?  

TGIF!

I saw Brooklyn with my daughter on Christmas Day - it's not a great movie, but it's good and will lift your spirits.

hey there folks. i just counted up the days since i started, and it's already day 11! i lost track b/c of being in the hospital etc. anyway, so far i have experienced very little of the book's predictions about what i'd be feeling as the days progress. been sleeping like a baby and waking up early ready to get up (both very unusual for me). never got the crankiness, although early on i did find all that cooking and cleaning up and cooking again stressful. i am tired this week but that's as likely to be my body recovering from the TIAs as it is the diet. i haven't had a single craving. not one. not even for wine (which would be my downfall if i were going to have a downfall).

i've figured out how to do this so it works better for me...planning and shopping for a few days in advance and then seeing what the recipes yield for leftovers instead of assuming i'm going to be able to eat the way the 7-day plan lays out. improvising. sticking to the simpler recipes so i don't get overwhelmed. so far i haven't LOVED the dressings...the mayo, the ranch dressing, the vinaigrette. so i'm not doing those. i did try kathy's lemon-dijon last night on my fish and oh man yum. so i'll stick with hers for the most part. thank you kathy!!!!

i'm not weighing myself or even looking in the mirror to see what's changing. but i can feel in my body that i've trimmed down. yesterday at my follow-up with my primary doc i weighed in 5 lbs lighter than i had when i went for a cancer follow-up with my radiation oncologist in mid-november. that's astonishing to me, because i was eating and drinking like a lumberjack all through the holidays. and i had clearly put on weight from that before i started the w30. so it's looking like eating this way is melting the pounds away at a rapid clip.

early on i was tinking with the idea of making this a whole60. now--in the aftermath of the TIAs this weekend, what happened to my blood pressure, how much higher my cholesterol is than it was last year--it's a no-brainer. i'll be interested to see what happens to those numbers after 2 months. meanwhile, vegan friends are banging my door down hoping i'll become vegan. you know, because plant-based is really the only healthy way to eat. especially if you have cardio-vascular medical issues. well...maybe. but i'm going to give this a shot first.

recipe report -- made the butternut squash/kale/chard dish last night to go with my red snapper. omg. SO so yummy. that one is going to be one i make a LOT. had some for breakfast with a couple of fried eggs on top. again. superyum. i deviated from the recipe a bit in that i seasoned the butternut squash chunks with garlic powder, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper before roasting. other than that i followed it to the letter. i love this cookbook!

Sounds like you're feeling better Caedmon, that's good! You said you'd be doing a w60. I'm doing a w90. My reasons are that I did a w30 before and even though I had success, I ran right back to my old habits and food choices. I really think 90 days will be what I need to break the hold that food has on my mind and my body! I have some inflammatory issues such as arthritis, thyroid issues and locking joints. I'm gonna give it 90 days to see if this way of eating can help heal some of those issues. 

Anyway, just wanted to give you some support on the w60 declaration. If anyone can do it, you can! You've already been through the ringer and have stayed strong. Don't know that I'd have done that with what you went through. It's an inspiration to me, so thanks for sharing about it! Take care!!

Good morning, ladies. I just found this group and you look so supporting I'd love to join you. Nancy W and I did Whole30s together before. This is my third one and its going to be a Whole90. I have rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease and COPD. This way of eating helps me a lot. I completely fell off the wagon during the holidays and thought I'd never be able to get back on but here I am. I'm 74 years old, live in Yorktown, VA, avid quilter and reader. I belong to the Y and do water aerobics 5 days a week, yoga 3 days and strength training 2 days. Exercise has actually helped with my health problems. I'm a widow so there is never an excuse for off plan food to come into my house. I've read every post on this thread this morning and look forward to more.

Sounds like you're feeling better Caedmon, that's good! You said you'd be doing a w60. I'm doing a w90. My reasons are that I did a w30 before and even though I had success, I ran right back to my old habits and food choices. I really think 90 days will be what I need to break the hold that food has on my mind and my body! I have some inflammatory issues such as arthritis, thyroid issues and locking joints. I'm gonna give it 90 days to see if this way of eating can help heal some of those issues. 

Anyway, just wanted to give you some support on the w60 declaration. If anyone can do it, you can! You've already been through the ringer and have stayed strong. Don't know that I'd have done that with what you went through. It's an inspiration to me, so thanks for sharing about it! Take care!!

thanks, TjV! i suspect i'll be extending to a 90 as well. and then sticking very closely to plan after that. and glad i could be of help with the inspiration. we never know, really, what life will bring us. i'm very grateful that these were mini-strokes that left no damage, and that the tests showed that my heart is in great shape and all my arteries are clear clear clear. i want to keep it that way!!!!

That's great news,caed! Welcome, Quilter!

I'm not going 100% W30 for more than 35-45 days or so, but I am doing the Whole 9 challenge, so I do plan to be very thoughtful about eating. I like the "no diet" philosophy of food, so W30 will be the base for my permanent eating, with off-roading as a conscious, deliberate choice. I like the idea of being in charge, versus in control. I tend to lose control, but I intend to take charge--no guilt, no extreme emotions around food, and trusting my body to help guide my decisions. None of those thoughts are my own, though I am adopting them--it's from "Am I Hungry." What I like is that the Whole 30 and Whole 9 are easily aligned with these ideas.

exercise

Good morning, ladies. I just found this group and you look so supporting I'd love to join you. Nancy W and I did Whole30s together before. This is my third one and its going to be a Whole90. I have rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease and COPD. This way of eating helps me a lot. I completely fell off the wagon during the holidays and thought I'd never be able to get back on but here I am. I'm 74 years old, live in Yorktown, VA, avid quilter and reader. I belong to the Y and do water aerobics 5 days a week, yoga 3 days and strength training 2 days. Exercise has actually helped with my health problems. I'm a widow so there is never an excuse for off plan food to come into my house. I've read every post on this thread this morning and look forward to more.

Good for you, Quilter!!!! My mom is on this with me and she is 79. She is a quadruple bypass survivor, has Diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. As I said, I have auto-immune issues...nothing diagnosed but the symptoms are all there. Who can afford a doctor these days for a diagnosis?! Anyway, so glad to see you here with us! 

Also, to Caedmon and Quilter, I am also part of a group on this site who are committed to a Whole90, if you are interested, you can also join us there. The thread is http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32923-whole90/if you want to drop by.

Quilter, how far is Yorktown from Partlow? My sister lives there. 

thanks, TjV! i suspect i'll be extending to a 90 as well. and then sticking very closely to plan after that. and glad i could be of help with the inspiration. we never know, really, what life will bring us. i'm very grateful that these were mini-strokes that left no damage, and that the tests showed that my heart is in great shape and all my arteries are clear clear clear. i want to keep it that way!!!!

Hey Caedmon, I just posted a link on another response in this thread. It's for a whole90 forum, if you are interested in stopping by. 

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/32923-whole90/

Good Morning!

TGIF!

Hey KathiKay, so encouraged by your report of your hands feeling 75% better!!! That's what I'm hoping for! Yay for you!

Archived