Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Hi, today is my first day. So far ok. Had a hard time eating within an hour of waking and eating before having coffee. But, I lived to tell about it! I have tried to search for topics in the "search" bar and so many posts that aren't related come up. So that I don't have to reread the entire book, can someone tell many how many hours in between meals and also where to find info about exercise-if there are any dos or don'ts. Thank you!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Hi, today is my first day. So far ok. Had a hard time eating within an hour of waking and eating before having coffee. But, I lived to tell about it! I have tried to search for topics in the "search" bar and so many posts that aren't related come up. So that I don't have to reread the entire book, can someone tell many how many hours in between meals and also where to find info about exercise-if there are any dos or don'ts. Thank you!

Aim for 4-5 hours between meals. When you get used to making your meals meet the meal template, this shouldn't be a problem, but if at first you're not able to make it that long, it's okay to eat when you're hungry. If you do need to eat between meals, try to have a mini-meal with protein, fat, and vegetables. There's no particular guidance about exercise, other than to have pre- and post-workout meals as needed. You may find in the first week or so of your Whole30 that you're more tired than usual, and if that's the case you may want to not to anything too strenuous.

The best way to search for things is to use google, and put in Whole30 and whatever you're looking for. 

• Administrators

Use google to search, it works better. Just type "Whole30" plus your topic and you should get lots of results. :)

I am starting January 18, 2016. I am 61 years old and very excited about this journey. I have convinced my husband who has always sabotaged my efforts in the past to join me. He is diabetic and I stressed to him how this lifestyle change will benefit him with his diabetes. I am going to do some video workouts as well as use the equipment in my basement. Treadmill, ellipticals and free weights. There are tons of online workouts for free that you can access too! Good luck everyone!!

Hi all. I just completed week one and my daily email suggested posting what I learned in week one. So here goes:

1. Buy more and eggs than you think you need. I didn't make it past the weekend when I was hustling back to the store for another dozen.

2. Buy the big bottle of evoo. No, the really big bottle.

3. Parchment paper, where have you been all my life?

4. Could it be that I actually like kale? I just made a kale fritatta and it was really good. I've never liked kale before. Could my tastes be changing? Maybe I'll try beets next.

Hello Everyone! I'm on day 9 now and going strong! My energy is definitely up and my body is feeling great (Tiger blood?). I played 3 hours of Pickleball this morning and my knees felt good the whole time.  After 4 knee surgeries and 25 years of competitive volleyball that's really saying something! That is the biggest difference in my body since starting the whole30.  I have to say though that I have never spent so much time on my feet shopping, prepping and cooking food! Maybe that's why people lose weight ..haha! Thank goodness I'm retired or I wouldn't have time for all the cooking! I still miss the nightly glass(es) of wine but really the cravings are pretty mild.  I did make a great dish yesterday which was easy and no doubt shall become my staple for many meals.  I diced, then baked a whole sweet potato; then added it to sautéed sweet onion and 1 lb organic ground beef in a pan with only salt and pepper.  OMG it was delicious and I have enough for 2-3 more meals! Another thing I tried was the Turmeric milk (many recipe variations; with ginger, cinnamon, black pepper and coconut milk).  Turmeric is supposed to be really good for arthritis too.  That was also very good. I will definitely drink this daily. I'm finally drinking my coffee black too and it's OK.  I think I can adapt.  I'm worried that this has all been too easy so far and I keep thinking I'm going to screw up...but so far so good!  I do like checking with the "older crowd" on this thread.  Thanks for all the posting you all do!

I am hoping that my sleeping will improve too.  So far it's gotten a little better but I tend to have restless legs at night so it keeps me up.

It sounds good - like chai? I'm going to try it. I now take about 1/2 tsp of turmeric with some black pepper in a little water most days - it's a natural anti inflammatory and really helps with joint pain Also, turmeric is believed to be the reason for the lower rate of Alzheimer's in India. Two big reasons to learn to like it. I tried putting it in salad dressing but it's a strong flavor and I didn't want it on all of my salads. I found it easier to just put it in a little hot water and glug it down.

Dear Friends - When life happens...it happens huh?  My hubs has been diagnosed with cancer.  First up I want to say that it is of the curable kind and was caught very early.  He is a poster child for the reason to get  an annual physical.   Without it...things could have been really bad.  But secondly...holy cow are you kidding?  This happens to other people!  (common misconception).  We are reeling but ready to start the 2 month treatment and knock this bad boy out!

I find it impossible to stay the course with my Whole30...my mind simply won't wrap around all it right now.  I honestly thought I could.  I tried but there is just so much going on.   Love Whole30...I believe in it but will have to try again later when I can focus.  Even after a short 13 days I feel better, and plan on continuing down a clean eating road.  I am so thankful I had this in my life, it's going to make the road to his recovery much easier.

I started this thread and I hope I can still pop in...you gals (and guys) are just super fun!  

Hugs, (The Scheduler!)

Kathi

• Moderators

Holy cow Kathi, I'm so sorry to hear that! It sounds like you're in reasonably good spirits and positive which is great!

I totally get not being able to spend a lot of time thinking about the Whole30, but please use what you've learned so far to be thoughtful about what you and hubby are eating... you're going to potentially have a lot of stress in the next little while and feeling crummy because you're off roading with old comfort foods isn't going to make the stress better. Try and eat 3 solid meals a day with protein, veggies and fat and if a little sugar from ketchup gets in there, no big deal but I really encourage you to try to stick close to a whole foods diet for the time being!

Many hugs for you and the mister!

dear kathi -- i am so sorry to read of your husband's diagnosis. believe me i know what that's like. i think you're wise to simplify right now, and i hope, with sugarcube, that you'll still be able keep your nutrition as powerpacked as possible. your bright spirit will be missed here. i hope you pop back often and keep us posted. big hugs to you and hubbie.

Thanks for the support Quilter and Melimuse I appreciate it . I went to the website and found the spices that are in the nightshade family..so that it is so helpful . thanks.

I knew from the first Whole30 challenge I couldn't eat bread and because I didn't cook too much I didn't uncover this problem.  So now I am cooking the turkey chili and the egg casserole, etc and I have uncovered new issues.  I am glad, to discover it, and I want my arthritis to go in remission, I guess I am mourning the potential loss of red peppers, tomatoes an chili etc.  My new goal is to pinpoint what food is giving me problems.

I have a better attitude with this one whole30 because it is only 30 days....for Lent I may give up coffee :)

Google Turmeric coconut milk and you will find lots of different recipes.  The one I adapted and used is below: You can play with the ingredients to suit your taste.

1 cup coconut milk

1 cup water

1 tsp Turmeric

1 tsp Cinnamon

1/4 tsp Ginger powder or tiny piece of fresh peeled ginger root

pinch of black pepper (you need this to absorb the turmeric)

Blend all ingredients until smooth (I used an immersion blender). Pour into small saucepan and heat over medium until hot (not boiling). I believe you can also drink this cold as well.

Good morning, ladies. I just found this group and you look so supporting I'd love to join you. Nancy W and I did Whole30s together before. This is my third one and its going to be a Whole90. I have rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease and COPD. This way of eating helps me a lot. I completely fell off the wagon during the holidays and thought I'd never be able to get back on but here I am. I'm 74 years old, live in Yorktown, VA, avid quilter and reader. I belong to the Y and do water aerobics 5 days a week, yoga 3 days and strength training 2 days. Exercise has actually helped with my health problems. I'm a widow so there is never an excuse for off plan food to come into my house. I've read every post on this thread this morning and look forward to more.

**waves hello**  :D

That's great news,caed! Welcome, Quilter!

I'm not going 100% W30 for more than 35-45 days or so, but I am doing the Whole 9 challenge, so I do plan to be very thoughtful about eating. I like the "no diet" philosophy of food, so W30 will be the base for my permanent eating, with off-roading as a conscious, deliberate choice. I like the idea of being in charge, versus in control. I tend to lose control, but I intend to take charge--no guilt, no extreme emotions around food, and trusting my body to help guide my decisions. None of those thoughts are my own, though I am adopting them--it's from "Am I Hungry." What I like is that the Whole 30 and Whole 9 are easily aligned with these ideas.

exercise

This is exactly the plan I have in mind for myself. Thank you for summing it up so succinctly!

Google Turmeric coconut milk and you will find lots of different recipes.  The one I adapted and used is below: You can play with the ingredients to suit your taste.

1 cup coconut milk

1 cup water

1 tsp Turmeric

1 tsp Cinnamon

1/4 tsp Ginger powder or tiny piece of fresh peeled ginger root

pinch of black pepper (you need this to absorb the turmeric)

Blend all ingredients until smooth (I used an immersion blender). Pour into small saucepan and heat over medium until hot (not boiling). I believe you can also drink this cold as well.

I've been wondering what I can drink to keep warm in these blasted subzero temps we're having that isn't coffee and doesn't need to be sweetened. Thank you!

Dear Friends - When life happens...it happens huh?  My hubs has been diagnosed with cancer.  First up I want to say that it is of the curable kind and was caught very early.  He is a poster child for the reason to get  an annual physical.   Without it...things could have been really bad.  But secondly...holy cow are you kidding?  This happens to other people!  (common misconception).  We are reeling but ready to start the 2 month treatment and knock this bad boy out!

I find it impossible to stay the course with my Whole30...my mind simply won't wrap around all it right now.  I honestly thought I could.  I tried but there is just so much going on.   Love Whole30...I believe in it but will have to try again later when I can focus.  Even after a short 13 days I feel better, and plan on continuing down a clean eating road.  I am so thankful I had this in my life, it's going to make the road to his recovery much easier.

I started this thread and I hope I can still pop in...you gals (and guys) are just super fun!  

Hugs, (The Scheduler!)

Kathi

Hugs, Kathi--good health vibes being sent for both of you!!

Day 18 here, and it's been a rougher trip than last time. Inviting my Snugar (Snack/Sugar) Dragon back in for the holidays has created a much stronger monster this time. Must NOT let that happen again. I'm starting to feel better and looking forward to going from Tiger Tot to full-fledged Tiger soon (hopefully!).

I am starting January 18, 2016. I am 61 years old and very excited about this journey. I have convinced my husband who has always sabotaged my efforts in the past to join me. He is diabetic and I stressed to him how this lifestyle change will benefit him with his diabetes. I am going to do some video workouts as well as use the equipment in my basement. Treadmill, ellipticals and free weights. There are tons of online workouts for free that you can access too! Good luck everyone!!

Oh, fnelson, my heart just swells reading this affirmation! What amazing strength and love you have for your husband! Bravo, lady. I will be pulling for you.

Thank you guys so much!  Your kindness makes it even harder to go off course!  My husband is on a cancer diet which is very close to the Whole30 so we are doing super great in the food department.  He is joining me on my 2 mile walks every day (jury is out on whether this is good or bad...really, really like my quiet walks!). Lots of protein and veggies with occasional treat.  

So of course I opened a bottle of the best Syrah EVER and stepped on the scale. (not at the same time I might add).   ***Mod Edit to remove scale results***  I think I went overboard on the mac nuts. Never buy that big container at Costco...way to tempting.

So here we go.  2 months of radiation, 5 days a week.  He got his little radiation tattoos that look like black heads...I so would have chosen pink.  He is a work junkie but has promised to take time off as needed as radiation can suck the life force out of you.  Still have some Whole30 recipes up my sleeve so stand by.  Coconut Thai Chicken that was unbelievable.  Visit me lots at LaughingSpatula.com  please!  You guys are doing great!!!

xoxoxo!

Kathi

Wow... you do have a lot to deal with! Sending well wishes and know he'll be grateful you can focus your positive energy on his recovery. You do have such 

a positive attitude and sunny way of expressing yourself. I've benefited just by reading your posts. Take care and know we're thinking about you! Seattle is a great place for medical care... it's where a lot of us Montanans go! 

• Moderators

Not really that excited about the weight loss.  4 pounds was all..say what?  I think I went overboard on the mac nuts. Never buy that big container at Costco...way to tempting.

Thank you guys so much!  Your kindness makes it even harder to go off course!  My husband is on a cancer diet which is very close to the Whole30 so we are doing super great in the food department.  He is joining me on my 2 mile walks every day (jury is out on whether this is good or bad...really, really like my quiet walks!). Lots of protein and veggies with occasional treat.  

So of course I opened a bottle of the best Syrah EVER and stepped on the scale. (not at the same time I might add).   ***Mod Edit to remove scale results***  I think I went overboard on the mac nuts. Never buy that big container at Costco...way to tempting.

So here we go.  2 months of radiation, 5 days a week.  He got his little radiation tattoos that look like black heads...I so would have chosen pink.  He is a work junkie but has promised to take time off as needed as radiation can suck the life force out of you.  Still have some Whole30 recipes up my sleeve so stand by.  Coconut Thai Chicken that was unbelievable.  Visit me lots at LaughingSpatula.com  please!  You guys are doing great!!!

xoxoxo!

Kathi

Hey Kathi;

As everyone else is still going and it's a 30 day program, I edited your post to remove the scale results. 

xoxoxo!

Kathi

Archived