Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Hi all - This is my first time on the W30 and am on day 7. I'm 59 (that's hard to say out loud ) and I wish I knew about this 20 years ago!

I have a history of losing weight and gaining it all back. I am not super hungry, like I was on other programs in the past, so I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Hi all - This is my first time on the W30 and am on day 7. I'm 59 (that's hard to say out loud ) and I wish I knew about this 20 years ago!

I have a history of losing weight and gaining it all back. I am not super hungry, like I was on other programs in the past, so I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

You're not doing anything wrong -- you're not supposed to be hungry on Whole30. Typically, I start getting hungry about 4-5 hours after a meal. Really makes it a lot easier not to snack between meals.  :)

• Moderators

Thank you, Shannon! That makes me feel better.

I have been reading about avoiding "starchy" vegetables...what is considered a "starchy" veggie and should I limit them?

Starchy vegetables are vegetables with a higher carb content --  potatoes, sweet potatoes, any of the winter squashes like acorn, butternut, kabocha or spaghetti squash, root vegetables like beets, turnips, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, pumpkin, plantains, jicama.  Most people feel best with at least one fist-sized serving of one of them each day. People who are more active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, or women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or in the week or so leading up to their period often  find they need even more. 

There's no particular reason for most people to avoid them completely. Someone who is diabetic or has other blood sugar issues will need to really pay attention to how they are affected by eating them and may want to limit them if they seem to cause problems. People who are sedentary generally need fewer starchy vegetables than people who are active, but don't necessarily need to leave them out completely. 

The most important thing is to try to get a variety of different vegetables, starchy and non-starchy.

Today is day 30! Last night we had a delicious dinner from the W30 book, salmon patties. So good.We have been saying most of this program how delicious our meals have been. So, why would be stop? The decision is not to stop. We are going to stay W30 in our house. When we go out to eat, maybe we will make other choices, maybe not, but we can if we want without guilt.

Keep it going everyone!

Hi Tcarbs,

Shannon gave you the "official" suggestion about starchy foods, and I thought I would share my experience so far. Honestly, I just don't worry about it. I try to let my body speak to me about what it needs (so long as the meal template is compliant).

I have found that I usually don't want starchy foods for Meal 1; I also tend to limit fruit then as well. I have found that my energy stays more even until lunch, but I don't feel weighed down by a heavy meal. Often at Meal 2 I might have a bit of starch, for example, butternut squash in my chili, and I often have fruit in addition to my template veggies. Meal 3 is when I usually have a full portion of starchy veg; it seems to keep me satisfied until breakfast the next day. I also suspect it helps me slow down.

Of course, this is just generally what I do--no hard and fast rules. I have had days in which I ate starchy veg at every meal, and the rarer days when I don't wind up with starchy veg.

For me, it's really important to let go of the fear of carbs and fats. My health is way better, and I do drop weight (which, though not the purpose of W30, is a needed side benefit for many). All the most current research I have seen strongly suggests that "dieting" causes weight gain--so my goal is to correct the effects of yoyo dieting on my body, by developing a new relationship with food--real food. The Whole 30 allows for a reset, and then I can trust that my hormones, cravings etc are better regulated, naturally.

Morning all. Well put, FoodieCG. Eating this way leaves me with more mental energy to accomplish things I want to do. Trying to make my big strong body sleeker and svelter than it was meant to be has taken up more of my attention than I'd like to admit. It is a successful body. It is not something to look at. This is quite the shift for me. I may just take THAT pair of jeans to Goodwill tomorrow. Pray for me!

hey folks...checking in towards the end of my day 16. i'm still on target, though i have noticed today and yesterday that i am bored with the food. i'm not craving anything off plan at all, and i've loved MOST of the recipes in the book, but i haven't loved ANY of the sauces, including the salad dressings -- which makes me a little reluctant to spend time trying the rest of them. and if i have to look at another egg i just might throw up. that's an exaggeration, but you know what i mean. and eating all this animal protein is starting to turn me off. so maybe i'm at day 21, emotionally. it really is a LOT of animal protein. anyway, i'm starting to scour around looking for whole30 recipes other places. just checked out nomnompaleo -- looks like a lot of good stuff on there. so i'm going to branch out.

as to benefits, nothing new or earthshaking to report. obviously the complete and utter lack of cravings is nothing short of miraculous. so is the quality of sleep, and waking up early ready to get out of bed. that latter is a bit reduced right now because after my TIAs i started having to take bp meds, cholesterol meds, a baby aspirin, and as of my follow-up with my primary doc, an antidepressant. This week i am experiencing fatigue and drowsiness from the temporary side effects as my body adjusts to the meds. so this morning when i woke up at 5:30 i turned over and went back to sleep for another hour. but getting up at 6:30 is still WAY earlier than i could manage before without an alarm and being dragged out of bed kicking and screaming.

i realized this morning that another benefit is this: when i first saw the book and started reading around to get a sense of what it was all about, i felt totally overwhelmed by all the restrictions and rules and what-to-do and what-not-to-do. i sensed it would be a really good program for me, but it seemed really daunting. and the first two days were brutal b/c i just felt like i was doing nothing but cooking and eating and cleaning up after cooking and eating so i could cook and eat again, etc. not to mention shopping. but here i am on day 16 and i look back and think "what were you so panicky about? this isn't hard. it's just new. and now it doesn't even feel new. it feels normal." it's all good  :D .

Caedmon22-

If you want a sauce that will knock your socks off, try Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed. It's also available at meljouwan.com. I find an excuse to put it it on anything- it really transforms the meal!

Hi, it's actually meljoulwan.com   

Well I am home sick - possible strep throat and not too hungry . I am somewhat surprised considering that I am eating nutritious food. I am on day 17 and I too am tired of eggs and animal protein!! I think my first food to be reintroduced will be dairy. After all it makes everything taste better. I thought it would be wine- but I am craving feta cheese.

Hope everyone is soldiering on.....

@caed,

A salad dressing I use before, during and after W30 is a yummy and simple French:

1 part fresh lemon or lime juice

3 parts BEST evoo

1/2 Teaspoon compliant Dijon mustard

1 small garlic clove pressed or minced

Generous salt and pepper

Put everything in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously til emulsified. Toss WELL with your salad (great with traditional green, potato, veggie salad, cold roasted veg,etc)

I also get gaggy over so much animal protein, and I find that eating only fish and shellfish cooked in different ways for 3 or 4 days can ease that a bit; also, using stronger herbs and spices helps: chilies, cumin, using hot sauces, fruit juices (such as for orange pineapple chicken, etc), vinegar, compliant bbq...Also, trying compliant bacon, prosciutto, chicken sausage helps.

thanks, foodie and mystyfire. great suggestions and i'll follow up on them! day 17 here and nothing new to report. this morning i did a stir-fry with aidell's (compliant) sun-dried tomato and garlic sausage, green beans, orange bell peppers and mushrooms, and put it on top of a big bowl of baby power greens. followed it with a navel orange. total yum. i'm doing seared baked chicken thigh and the kale and almonds dish from the book for lunch. not sure what dinner is, i have to go out scrounging around, but i think it will be scallops and the roasted beet, avocado and orange salad from the book. one thing that's happening here is that my daughter and granddaughter like what i'm cooking so i have a lot less leftovers. i need to make something casserole-ish that will last but the idea of ground-beef-anything just makes me nauseous. (never was a big beef eater and that pot roast just killed it for me -- i actually threw out the sweet potatoes b/c they were so greasy and beefy-tasting). otherwise i'd do the shepherd's pie. anyeay...hope everybody is powering on!

Day 4

I have been enjoying the food quite honestly and do believe I can maintain this lifestyle change forever. I have been experiencing low energy which is expected during the first week. I am not exercising yet. Want to get through this first week and then start my daily workouts. I had been eating breakfast late, which threw the rest of my meals off too.

We are about to get pummeled with snow tomorrow and I have to get a few items for next weeks menu. I am surprised that I have excepted life without sugar, at least for 30 days. I will decide at that time whether or not to pick that back up. I am missing my coffee though. Can't drink it black.

fnelson

day 18 i think (i'm losing track!). just had my first real temptation. my granddaughter wanted to order pizza and bbq wings for dinner. tomorrow is a day off school so it's their friday tonight. we ordered it, and it came while my daughter was at work, so i was the one to make my granddaughter (who is 6) a plate. omg. this place we order from makes THE best chicken wings. melt-in-your-mouth tender with goopy sweet sauce. and the pizza is hawaiian. my favorite. luckily i had just had a delicious dinner of seared chicken thighs plus roasted brussels sprouts and acorn squash and was full and satisfied. b/c i really wanted to lick my fingers after i served her the wings! but i didn't, so another day down. 

Hi,

I am 72 and started 1/1/16. So I have a week to go before I start reintroducing foods. I have had 4 bouts of serious diarrhea and constipation. Not pretty. A little scary but I'm determined to finish. I have not been a junk food junkie and I usually got in 5 servings of veggies and fruit. Of course, now I'm eating approximatly 7 servings. Probably need to cut down on the kale, chard etc for awhile. I'm also eating at least twice the number of eggs. Would love any advice,  suggestions or thoughts. Only 8 more days to go! But who is counting. :-)

Greetings, I had coffee with coconut milk for the first time this morning and it was good. I used my immersion blender so it was a little frothy. I found a compliant curry paste and it seems that the coconut milk without extra stuff in it has to be used up within a couple of days, so my second dinner of chicken/coconut green curry is simmering. I'm not on a W30, but am trying to continue W9, so some of my challenges are different... But I do like hearing from wise comrades in my age group. I think the moderators will get back to you noniecar. But there is such a thing as too much roughage. Congratulations to everyone still hanging in there.

• Administrators

Hi,

I am 72 and started 1/1/16. So I have a week to go before I start reintroducing foods. I have had 4 bouts of serious diarrhea and constipation. Not pretty. A little scary but I'm determined to finish. I have not been a junk food junkie and I usually got in 5 servings of veggies and fruit. Of course, now I'm eating approximatly 7 servings. Probably need to cut down on the kale, chard etc for awhile. I'm also eating at least twice the number of eggs. Would love any advice,  suggestions or thoughts. Only 8 more days to go! But who is counting. :-)

Greens like kale and chard, when overdone, can be harder on the stomach. Without knowing just what you've been eating it's hard to give any directed feedback. Open a thread in the Troubleshooting forum and include your specific symptoms and their timing, what you typically eat, include portions and timing. Fluids, sleep, stress, underlying conditions like autoimmune or bowel disorders. Someone will be along there to help you as much as we can.

Well, I turned 62 on day 18, and now completed day 22. Feeling good! Mellow, positive, and not as stressed as usual, even though I have just as much to do. My insides have figured this all out a bit better, and I'm less tired so exercising more again. I don't get sore! That is a really fun benefit. 

Keep it up, everyone!

I'm finishing up week 2 and I'm really proud to have made it through this week. I had a three day meeting at work with lunches provided, and one dinner out with my colleagues. I took my compliant snacks, pulled out my salad greens to convert the deli sandwiches to a salad and researched the restaurant where the dinner was held. It took a little work, but I did it!

Next week I'm back on my normal schedule--working from home. Yay!

Hi,

Hi Nonie,

If I am reading you correctly, you are still having these issues 3 weeks in?  I am not an expert and hope a moderator will comment, but I had similar issues on a failed Whole 30 once upon a time because I was eating a lot of a food that I didn't know I was allergic to.  In fact, more than one; coconut and nuts.  I actually had added a ton of cocount oil and milk to my diet and I ended up so sick I was in the hospital.  Yikes!  Anyway, my suggestion would be that you think of what you have increased in your diet that you didn't eat before or only ate occasionally.  Since I have a lot of allergies, I'm following the auto-immune protocol, except for eggs, because they have never caused me issues, and I feel so much better and am making a lot more progress than I ever had on the Whole 30 before.  Listen to your body.  You mentioned you are eating a lot of eggs.... is that typical?  Good luck!

Hi all. Hope everyone is staying warm and safe through this winter storm. I'm in Texas and so not affected by it. I'm feeling really good today. Just had my favorite lunch yet: spinach leaves dressed with lemon and olive oil, 3 strawberries sliced and two pieces of compliant bacon crumbled. I topped it of with a scoop of chicken protein salad. So so good. Now I'm off for a run. Stay safe everyone

Good morning! The Whole 30 Daily today is about habits. What struck me is that on average it takes 66 days to form a new habit. 30 isn't really enough if you have problems with poor food choices coming back after it is over. I'm definitely in for 90 days this time.

I got up to sunshine  today and snow and ice covered roads. We are under a flood warning today. It's just about high tide now and the water is probably a foot higher than normal behind my house. A good day to stay in and batch cook for the upcoming week.

jftv22, you salad sounds so good. I'll bet it would be good with a chicken breast cubed in it.

Archived