Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Hello all!!

Whatever day you're on, I hope it's gone well.

Today is my day 4 and I'm still feeling determined, however, I badly wanted to munch on a sweet treat right after dinner as is my habit. However, I grabbed a handful of cashews and a couple of glasses of water with lemon. So - yeah me!!! I held strong and came in here to catch up and I feel the support by reading all your stories.

Diabetes is something I would like to put off as long as possible and last year I began to look for non-medical ways to be healthy. Since last year my numbers have improved and I'm not being advised to take medicine. When I was told I was a pre- diabetic I scrambled into research mode. My parents both struggled with age onset and it seems we live in a society where there are lots of fixes but no one wants to address the real causes.

Then I found Whole30! Thanks for reminding me of why I'm in this. Headache or not, I will not vary one little bit!

And thanks for listening.

Peace - Tracey

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Hello all!!

Whatever day you're on, I hope it's gone well.

Today is my day 4 and I'm still feeling determined, however, I badly wanted to munch on a sweet treat right after dinner as is my habit. However, I grabbed a handful of cashews and a couple of glasses of water with lemon. So - yeah me!!! I held strong and came in here to catch up and I feel the support by reading all your stories.

Diabetes is something I would like to put off as long as possible and last year I began to look for non-medical ways to be healthy. Since last year my numbers have improved and I'm not being advised to take medicine. When I was told I was a pre- diabetic I scrambled into research mode. My parents both struggled with age onset and it seems we live in a society where there are lots of fixes but no one wants to address the real causes.

Then I found Whole30! Thanks for reminding me of why I'm in this. Headache or not, I will not vary one little bit!

And thanks for listening.

Peace - Tracey

Good for you for finding lifestyle ways to prevent later life conditions that are preventable! The world would be so much healthier and less... afflicted, if more people took the type of responsibility for their health that you are taking! Way to go, you're going to rock this!!

As you go, try and lean into the uncomfortable feeling of wanting something sweet after dinner instead of supplementing it with nuts... this will keep your cravings alive and well unfortunately... Not saying you CAN'T do it, but be mindful when you are so you can start breaking the dessert habit. Some alternates are a hot bubble bath, brushing your teeth, a walk, a tea, coming on here (;))... it's only usually a few minutes for a few days and then voila! No more after dinner cravings!

Rock on sister!

Thanks for the wonderful supportive words SugarCube!! I really appreciate your input. You're right about sidetracking myself through the cravings. A walk would be what I'd usually do, but, winter has finally set in and I mind the cold so much more than I used too. :)

I will try a tea though. I have some lovely spiced teas that may work very well. Thanks! You rock too ;)

Day one done! Now on to the fun stuff right? I kinda panicked this morning when I was thinking about what I had committed too. But I went for a 2 mile walk in the rain. Ahhhhh, Seattle winters. Great way to clear your head (and flatten your hair) :). Ready for day 2!

Thanks for the wonderful supportive words SugarCube!! I really appreciate your input. You're right about sidetracking myself through the cravings. A walk would be what I'd usually do, but, winter has finally set in and I mind the cold so much more than I used too. :)

I will try a tea though. I have some lovely spiced teas that may work very well. Thanks! You rock too ;)

The cold is killing me this year! Where's a hot flash when you need one!

Hi all! I'm 58, and this is my second W30. My first was in September, and I rocked it! Reintroduction tanked though, as I took back all the bad crap I needed to stay away from, namely sugar, dairy and wheat. I'm not sure if all three of those need to stay out of my life, but sugar for SURE. When I turn 60 in July of 2017, I want to be in the best shape of my life. I'm happy (finally!) and mostly healthy, so I've got a good start, but I've battled depression and disordered eating since my teens. I'm on day 5 today, and definitely in KILL ALL THE THINGS mode. I had 11 days off over the holidays and am struggling to get back to "adulting." Wearing shoes yesterday was one of the biggest adjustments... I also hang out with the Tiger Tots and the Crew, but I thought some extra over-50 support sure couldn't hurt. Nice to meet all of you!

Good morning all. I love to walk, always have, always will, but I lift weights because I need to. It has its satisfactions - it makes me feel powerful and squares up my shoulders - but I have to make myself do it. It helps a bit to keep my weights in a basket in my living room, where I can't ignore them. I am reading Gary Taubes book, Why We Get Fat... , and listening to a podcast, Happier, with Gretchen Rubin, for motivation. Any others get motivation from books/podcasts? Of course the W30 books are great, but I've already read them.

Rocky sounds like a terrific treadmill movie.

Day 2 is under way and I am glad to be back in the swing. I love my 7 AM breakfast and I have successfully kept the coconut milk in my coffee habit. I don' think I could go back to cream anyway. The headache I feared is beginning as I type this, but will be gone by Thursday or so. Upping my sodium usually helps with that and muscle aches. I'm going to do more this time with leafy greens beyond salads. More kale, collards and chards. I am already a big fan of brussel spouts and cabbages of all sorts. They are great for adding that texture and crunch you can get anywhere else. Also going to to look for more choices in mushrooms to add to my veggies. Variety really is an important aspect to this plan, for me anyway.

Would love to hear about others recipes and meal solutions you like on the Whole30 life.

Enjoy,

Mike

@Mike,

I have crispy chicken thighs in the oven.  Covered in lemon, garlic, olive oil that I pureed in a food processor.  The smell is filling up my kitchen!  I bake them on a rack so they get all crispy and stuff.  It's a technique I learned on nomnompaleo.com.  She has great W30 recipes.  I am so happy right now....

hi folks. i'll be 65 in april. went through cancer in 2015 (i'm okay now...so far so good!) and this seemed like the perfect way to jumpstart restoring my health going forward. i'm on day 2. i had planned on doing the 7-day meal plan in the book but i discovered 1) it is way too exhausting for me to spend that much time cooking, cleaning up after cooking, cooking again etc (the first 24 hours!) and 2) i spent $148 on food for three days (can't keep THAT up!) and 3) those recipes that serve two? must be for two giant lumberjacks who participate in extreme sports every day. way more food than i can eat. so i'm slowing waaaaayyyyy down on that (lesson learned!) and just pick and choose a few more recipes to add in to my already huge stockpile of leftovers! anyway. this is fun. i'm excited. and looking forward to lots of positive changes.

Yum to crispy chicken thighs. I have a chicken carcass in my Instapot because homemade stock makes everything better. I also love having tapenade on hand - it's just kalamata olives, fresh parsley, capers, garlic, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor. I put it on lots of things, but it's the best on Caesar salad.

Hi - Glad to find this group.  I'm 51 and this is my 3rd W30.  Day 4 for me.  Cooked up some chicken/veggie soup and breakfast hash but am already not really loving the way either turned out.

Very tired today but pushing through it.

Day 5, and I would kill all the things if I could find them. Or remember what they were. Or keep track of anything at all.  Slept GREAT for the first time since starting, but  -- ah, what was I talking about?

My mom (at 85) would call this "somezeimers" disease. Not quite all...

sigh

Sunny - I'll be starting with you.  Today was my scheduled start but it didn't happen.  So, tomorrow will be the beginning again. 

Last time I attempted, everyone kept raving about the mayo.  I rarely use mayo so didn't really understand why it was so important to have.  As I looked through Well Fed a few days ago, I saw the variations on mayo (sunshine sauce, creamy italian dressing, etc), so decided to give it a try.  Amazing.  Now I understand.  Made egg salad and was really impressed with the difference.  Guess I should be open to new things.

My prep is a little more in place today - so hoping/planning on not having another restart.

Day two today and I am struggling! I am so hungry, right now and could easily grab some sweets.  I just looked up a sweatpotatoe recipe (Sweet Potato Bites from @thewonkyspatula) and plan to get started with it. Came here first to get some motivation.  I am not tired, just hungry!  Plan to spend my weekend cooking!

I did some leg workouts this morning - I am a bikini body follower (Kayla Itsines).  I highly recommend it!

What do you do when you are hungry!!!

• Administrators

Day two today and I am struggling! I am so hungry, right now and could easily grab some sweets.  I just looked up a sweatpotatoe recipe (Sweet Potato Bites from @thewonkyspatula) and plan to get started with it. Came here first to get some motivation.  I am not tired, just hungry!  Plan to spend my weekend cooking!

I did some leg workouts this morning - I am a bikini body follower (Kayla Itsines).  I highly recommend it!

Why are you so hungry, mcbwayla? When was your last meal? What have you been eating the last couple of days? (list portion sizes and timing if you can).

You should never be starving on Whole30.  Your meals are meant to keep you going for 4-5 hours, comfortably.  If they are not, you need to eat more at each one, remembering that nutrition is cumulative so it might take a few meals to get back to where you are feeling better rather than just overeating at dinner.  If you are legitimately hungry to the point where something bland like white fish and steamed brocoli sounds good then you should eat something.  Preferrably a mini meal containing protein, fat and veggies but if you can't manage that, go for two of the three (ie protein and fat -- chicken thigh & guacamole -- or protein and veggie -- hard boiled egg and cut carrots).

I wonder if you are not eating big enough meals or have enough fat in them.  I'll leave it to the moderators, I am no expert but I am not hungry on W30...I especially eat big the first few days and then my appetite seems to slow down a bit.  I'd eat a mini meal of protein with some fat.  Chicken and avocado maybe?

Schedule

Day 5, and I would kill all the things if I could find them. Or remember what they were. Or keep track of anything at all.  Slept GREAT for the first time since starting, but  -- ah, what was I talking about?

sigh

That made me laugh!  

Schedule

sigh

Oh boy, this made me laugh! This is the perfect term for what I have!!!

I definitely had a KILL ALL THE THINGS kind of day. Luckily, I didn't have to actually do that, but I was really crabby. Got out for a walk during lunch, and the sun kept the 30 degree temp from feeling too awful, and helped me to let everything and everyone alive. I will be thrilled when another week has passed and I feel human again. I noticed that my feet were killing me today, more than usual. Hoping that goes away soon! 

Day 3 and here comes the brain fog!  I thought I would sail through this since day 2 was so good...not looking like it.  

Drinking tons of water and a nice long walk this afternoon.  The sun is finally coming-out in Seattle - thank heavens because I was kinda going crazy with all the darkness.  We live in the burbs at 500 foot level and its looked like a mid-evil forest for a week.  Hello sunshine!  Hope you all have a good day!  

p.s.  Making Thai coconut curry soup today that I'll simmer a bit of Mahi in tonite...mmmm....

Archived