Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

@caedmon22 Holy moley, that must have been scary! Hope all is well...

Boy, I was really ready to quit today. Not sure why, food boredom, maybe? I just wanted to settle in for the afternoon with candy, pasta, and potato chips. I don't have anything non-compliant in the house which is good, and it's too cold to venture out for anything, so I'm safe there. Then I remembered the timeline and sure enough... Glad I decided to check this out instead of doing something dumb!!

Days 10-11: The Hardest Days.

Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You’ve made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you’ve yet to experience any of the “magic” the program promises. You’re still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you’ve eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you’ve been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you’re “choosing not to eat right now.”  Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can’t” have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend’s tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you’re wondering if the results will really be as good as “they” all say it is.

You’re cranky, you’re impatient, and you’re really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.mieHU4tB.dpuf

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Caedmon, sorry to hear of the health problem. I'm glad your plan is to rest and relax, as directed

This weekend I made a list of my loopholes - or exit strategies - or excuses - Things I have told myself in the past to give myself permission to not do what I planned to do - to let myself off the hook when things start to get uncomfortable. I wrote some thoughts on each of them. There are recurring themes here. I think the one I have the most trouble with is the idea that certain food and drink is a necessary part of a good life. It is not just an idea, it is a belief I've held for a long time. I need to question it.

Honestly, if I can find a way to keep this lifetime and just add red wine, I will be one happy camper.

Cyndy - a Hell Ya to that!  Holy cow, it's the one thing I miss the most!  But if I can't give it up for 30 days then I better check myself into rehab!  LOL!

This is exactly how I feel about this issue. You really don't know how much of a hold it has on you until you give it up for a while. I will drink wine in February, but less than I would have without the 30 days of going without it. That's what happened after my last W30. I drank wine with friends, for special dinners, and I enjoyed it more.

Hi,

Yup, I qualify for this esteemed group (over 50). I also identify with the Whole 9 Challenge and Jan. 4 start threads, but happy to jump in here, too.

I plan to post more later, but here's the quick and dirty: 2nd W30--finished last summer. Not only off-roaded over the holidays, more like off-interstated. Because of that plus a new med, my weight ballooned recently at an alarming rate (which at our age gets the doc's prescription finger itchy) and many physical/emotional/spiritual maladies took hold again. I'm really happy for a reset.

Hail from Florida, lived around the world and the U.S.; doing 30 minutes hardcore exercise (for me) 5 days a week and work from home as a coach and a consultant.

Good to "meet" y'all.

@Caedmon - I am so sorry to hear about your illness.  You sounds very positive and I hope you have some support at home!    I would send you bone broth if I could :)!  

I made it through the Seahawks winning and a lunch at a restaurant in Wine Country!  Did I mention it was in WINE country?  Prosecco was flowing but I had a great time...sucked down a couple ice teas and have no complaints!  (although there was this one moment while toasting my daughter I thought I'd sip.  But I didn't!). Lovely people and a beautiful daughter with a new husband that I adore. (oh get me started on the wedding last summer!).  I have no complaints.  So I go without some Prosecco...I'll live.

I am feeling better than ever.  Constant hand pain is almost non existent as is the one hour ache in my leg I usually get after my walk.  My pants are a little loose and I have a sense of calm that is so nice.  I didn't get any of that the last time, at least not in the first week so not sure what gives....but I'm taking it and enjoying!  

Week two starts tomorrow and my plan is the same.  Meal prep, walk, and don't think too hard about the weeks to come.  Enjoy the day!

Best to all!

Honestly, if I can find a way to keep this lifetime and just add red wine, I will be one happy camper.

Cyndy - a Hell Ya to that!  Holy cow, it's the one thing I miss the most!  But if I can't give it up for 30 days then I better check myself into rehab!  LOL!

This is exactly how I feel about this issue. You really don't know how much of a hold it has on you until you give it up for a while. I will drink wine in February, but less than I would have without the 30 days of going without it. That's what happened after my last W30. I drank wine with friends, for special dinners, and I enjoyed it more.

I kinda went off the rails this last 6 months and I need a break from it.  I had back surgery and it went a bit wacky and I was sick for quite awhile so when I got better...well, I guess I over celebrated!  I love wine too and am never giving it up...but a break is a good thing to see exactly what our relationship with with vino is.  Soon enough we will clink! (and it's gonna be a really, really good bottle I can tell ya that! ) :)

Schedule

Hi everyone!! Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm Tracey and turned 50 in November. I have had such difficulty in keeping my weight AND my cravings under control in the last few years. I just can't seem to get any weight off. I know...I know this isn't about weight. My other issues with inflammation cause me probs as well. I have a love - hate relationship with bread and dairy.

Haha! Confession time I guess! :)

I did a successful whole 30 in June and felt fabulous. Since then I've tried two more but not been able to complete them. And my inflammation issues return with my bad eating habits.

My goal this month is to reset my habits and keep them reset for this year and the rest of my life. I want a healthy future.

This also fits with my only resolution for 2016, which is to treat me the way I treat the people in my life I love. No negative talk, no hating myself. Just love :)

I look forward to chatting and supporting each other through this adventure.

Hope your day was wonderful and a success!

Peace

I did my first and only successful Whole 30 in January 2014. I kept trying other times of the year, but it turns out that winter is when I have time forme, so this goround I am going for a Whole 45 with 2 weeks of reintro..slowly. I have learned so much in my failed attempts at Whole 30s that it is hard to regret them. About allergies, mostly. My goal is to change my habits permanently, too. It's winding down on day 9 for me, and I feel pretty good! I am 53 and fairly healthy; have spent the past few years rehabbing injuries and developing new fitness skills such as yoga, walking, and mobility training.

I like red wine a lot as well, but am fine with having it once in awhile. My first whole 30, it was my first reintroduction. This time, it will be my last, as I want to experiment to see the effect nightshades and nuts have first. I have a lot of food allergies, so it's important to me to sort it all out. When I eat allergens, it's just a big inflammatory mess!

@caedmon22 Holy moley, that must have been scary! Hope all is well...

Boy, I was really ready to quit today. Not sure why, food boredom, maybe? I just wanted to settle in for the afternoon with candy, pasta, and potato chips. I don't have anything non-compliant in the house which is good, and it's too cold to venture out for anything, so I'm safe there. Then I remembered the timeline and sure enough... Glad I decided to check this out instead of doing something dumb!!

Days 10-11: The Hardest Days.

Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You’ve made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you’ve yet to experience any of the “magic” the program promises. You’re still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you’ve eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you’ve been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you’re “choosing not to eat right now.”  Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can’t” have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend’s tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you’re wondering if the results will really be as good as “they” all say it is.

You’re cranky, you’re impatient, and you’re really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/#sthash.mieHU4tB.dpuf

. I hope this doesn't happen tomorrow but I have food galore (compliant) just in case. Btw, cute pup!

Hi all, today is day 1 and I am nervously excited. I was planning to begin tomorrow. Monday just seems like the right day to start something new. But my test black coffee went so well I thought--why wait? Let's do this!

It may sound silly but drinking my coffee black was one of my biggest concerns! I'd like to hear from you what we're your biggest concerns and how did you plan for them?

I too was very worried about black coffee.  I am putting warmed up coconut milk in it and it is pretty good! I am only 2 days in so far and things are going well.

. I hope this doesn't happen tomorrow but I have food galore (compliant) just in case. Btw, cute pup!

Melimuse, if it does happen, just ride it out. It WILL be worth it. And thanks, he was the BEST. DOG. EVER.

I too was very worried about black coffee.  I am putting warmed up coconut milk in it and it is pretty good! I am only 2 days in so far and things are going well.

Swanee, I struggled with black coffee too. Now, I use a small carton of compliant coconut milk for coffee throughout the weekend, but during the week at work, I drink it black. It helps to buy really good coffee! I like Italian roast.

Seems we are thinking about black coffee - so I think I'll have another cup. I make espresso with a manual ROK machine and I hand grind the beans, so there's some bonus arm strengthening involved. I like it black, but about once a week I add coconut oil and ghee and whiz it with an immersion blender for a change of pace.

I had guests this weekend and found that a turntable with little dishes of compliant relishes and toppings in the middle of the table made the meals seem more celebratory. For an Indian meal, we had mango pickle, chopped tomatoes and onions, toasted pumpkin seeds, and cilantro chimichurri.

Still very cold with kind of slippery walking conditions here, but I'm going out anyway.

Hi W30fiftiers,

I have been coping with a cold/flu that won't quit (several days in), but I am soldiering on...

I tried the ghee and coconut oil coffee today. Really good, but oh so rich. I used coconut milk throughout my first W30, and continued for quite awhile, but then the half and half seduced me back to the dairy side. I added almond milk to the fats, and it helped both mellow the flavor and reduce the richness. It was fun whirling it up.

I continued to do a pretty hardcore workout today; I can't decide if doing this is extending the life of the virus I have, but I really don't want to stop a nascent exercise habit.

On a more sobering topic, a moment of silence for "Major Tom."

Glad to hear you liked the coffee, CG. It is a treat-like-substance for me, but I might have it once a week or so and never have any urge to have a second cup. I call that progress in the treat arena.

Any NSV's, my friends? I powered through every single item on my mental list of things I have been putting off, including paying my dog tax yesterday. I woke up feeling deliciously free of obligation. Victory is mine!

Good Morning All!  

So I have hit a slump and my optimism is wavering.  Dang, I thought I was gonna sail through this thing but day 8 is the devil.

Why can't I sleep?  I toss and turn and have brain fog all day yesterday and today.  Thoughts on that?  I have drugs and I am not afraid to use them :)!  I was just trying to do this thing with no artificial anything.  Thankfully I'm retired.  Oh I remember so many days feeling like this at 5 am. At least I'm home cooking in my jammies and not dealing with the needy!    (I was an executive assistant for 20 years....lots of needy execs out there with such big, big problems.  Drama, drama, drama.  LOL!).

The Seahawks won and another game on Sunday (those are always a challenge).  But they were kind enough to schedule it at 10:00am so no parties so far to go too.  I'm sure they did that just for me.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Love to hear how you are all feeling!  

Welcome, Lcares,

This is a very (emotionally) flexible group, here. We need all the camaraderie we can get!

KathyK hasn't checked in with us this morning, but as our cheery leader, I'm sure I speak for her when I say, post away and join the party!

:)

Schedule

Hi W30fiftiers,

I have been coping with a cold/flu that won't quit (several days in), but I am soldiering on...

I tried the ghee and coconut oil coffee today. Really good, but oh so rich. I used coconut milk throughout my first W30, and continued for quite awhile, but then the half and half seduced me back to the dairy side. I added almond milk to the fats, and it helped both mellow the flavor and reduce the richness. It was fun whirling it up.

I continued to do a pretty hardcore workout today; I can't decide if doing this is extending the life of the virus I have, but I really don't want to stop a nascent exercise habit.

On a more sobering topic, a moment of silence for "Major Tom."

I've been singing Major Tom all day!  He always kinda creeped me out but he was so unique,  you couldn't help but watch him.  

Schedule

Good Morning All!  

So I have hit a slump and my optimism is wavering.  Dang, I thought I was gonna sail through this thing but day 8 is the devil.

Why can't I sleep?  I toss and turn and have brain fog all day yesterday and today.  Thoughts on that?  I have drugs and I am not afraid to use them :)!  I was just trying to do this thing with no artificial anything.  Thankfully I'm retired.  Oh I remember so many days feeling like this at 5 am. At least I'm home cooking in my jammies and not dealing with the needy!    (I was an executive assistant for 20 years....lots of needy execs out there with such big, big problems.  Drama, drama, drama.  LOL!).

The Seahawks won and another game on Sunday (those are always a challenge).  But they were kind enough to schedule it at 10:00am so no parties so far to go too.  I'm sure they did that just for me.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Love to hear how you are all feeling!

Before my current job, I was a litigation paralegal, so I have some familiarity with needy big boys and their drama drama drama.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping - a bath with Epsom salts relaxes me. I am also using a rose scented oil that makes me feel like the Queen of Sheba.

Schedule (in solidarity)

Before my current job, I was a litigation paralegal, so I have some familiarity with needy big boys and their drama drama drama.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping - a bath with Epsom salts relaxes me. I am also using a rose scented oil that makes me feel like the Queen of Sheba.

Schedule (in solidarity)

You made me laugh!  Thanks for the solidarity...holy cow, still giggling!  

Schedule

hi folks -- i had two more (smaller) TIAs on Sunday, so i ended up back in emergency and admitted for tests overnight. to my surprise and delight, this hospital has restaurant style room service with an expanded menu. i was able to eat so close to W30 while i was there i am counting it as compliant. asian stir-fry with chicken and lots of wonderful fresh veggies plus steamed baby spinach and a green salad for dinner, veggie omelet and a banana for breakfast, grilled fish and green beans and more spinach for lunch. and last night i stopped by the store (i'm out of leftovers and haven't been functional since friday) and picked up some sole and had that and steamed veggies for dinner, so i'm still on track. i think this is day 9 for me. i'm exhausted and recovering from those brain events so won't be able to go for bones to make bone broth just yet, so i got some Pacific turkey and chicken bone broths and will sip those until i'm back on my feet. meanwhile, nothing like a brush with your possible death to make you even more committed to feeding the body what it needs to stay vital!

Hi everyone, I am Sue, turned 51 in December. This is my first Whole30 and I am 7 days in. My daughter encouraged me to read It All Starts With Food due to her concern for me, I have recently developed arthritis in my thumb. It was time to make some healthy changes for my over 50 body. I took my daughter advice, read the book and here I am. So far so good. Today wasn't the best day, I have had some sugar cravings and I am irritable but nothing too bad.

Glad you're back, Caedmon. If I were nearby, I'd stop by with a jar of bone broth - it has magical restorative powers. Saying prayers and singing mantras for clear sailing while you recover.

thanks, my friend. the boxed bone broth is nowhere near as tasty as homemade :) and all prayers and mantras appreciated and gratefully received. 

Archived