Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

Starting Monday, Jan 18th...with trepidation. I know I need to do this. At 50 I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (an autoimmune disease which could eventually fuse my spine). It has fused my ribcage & often attacks my eyes. One disease. One awful disease, using my body to attack itself. I've been on diets before, but I know this is different. It could be life altering. My 30 yr old daughter is beginning to exhibit symptoms...so I need to do this. I need to see if we can reset our immune system. Glad I've found others on this journey and thank you for sharing your experience!!

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Monday, Jan 18th...with trepidation. I know I need to do this. At 50 I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis (an autoimmune disease which could eventually fuse my spine). It has fused my ribcage & often attacks my eyes. One disease. One awful disease, using my body to attack itself. I've been on diets before, but I know this is different. It could be life altering. My 30 yr old daughter is beginning to exhibit symptoms...so I need to do this. I need to see if we can reset our immune system. Glad I've found others on this journey and thank you for sharing your experience!!

Azcoolmom, that's horrifying! I'm so sorry to hear that!! I think if any eating program can turn that around, it will be the Whole30. Have you read the book yet? I think you'll do well....you've got great motivation for doing well. It might be hard at first, but having that diagnosis is harder, I would think. I'm rooting for you! 

Hi everyone, I am sharing this post from my log-post, because I think INSIGHT might be a significant NSV for folks over 50.  Likely for everyone, but ....I guess I am trying to celebrate one of the positive things about being older - wisdom.  We have a lot of challenges in this age group, but I think the attainment of Wisdom is a benefit that can only be earned with age.  Maybe this will resonate with some of you:

Phew....made it through days 13 and 14.  Wowsa, that was hard.  I think I am "behind the curve" in terms of my calendar, because I was sorely tempted to off-road.  The reason?  Stress, stress, lack of sleep and exhaustion.  I feel like I am back to early days, but choosing to believe that I will recover from this bout of stress much more quickly because I am on the Whole 30, and stayed on.  Thank goodness for B, who has been especially supportive this week.  He came up twice, he rubbed my feet, he read to me, he hung out and listened to all that was going on in my mind.  He was present, caring and super sweet.  I am very, very lucky. It's funny because I feel as though I am always banging on at him about how he should be vulnerable and share with me, as though that would bring us closer, and I never looked in the mirror about that.  He always has been one to rally to me in times of need. So perhaps I should be showing him what I need more and quit trying to penetrate his manly stoicism, which is a part of who he is.  Wow.  Deep insight, non-scale victory to be sure. 

Anyway, the last two days, I think a couple of things were going on.  There was work stress to be sure, but the truth is I didn't sleep well Wednesday night, after having a banner feeling good day, and knowing I had to leave the house next morning and get to an offsite meeting, and then have a meeting later in the day that was making me feel vaguely nervous.  (My intuition proved to be right).  I got up and forced myself to eat, got down there feeling mildly better, and emptied out all my intellectual energy in a good session with my two program leads; then met some new people around lunchtime, 12:30 - I did pack a compliant lunch - but felt intellectually trepanned.  Oh yeah!  I forgot.  I took a Zyrtek the night before to get my sinuses opened and because I had some hives, to sleep.  Blech, also an advil earlier for headache;  That seems to have caused a big YUK in my body.  No more of that.  I should have taken time with a long epsom salts bath, which I always think of doing and NEVER do.  In fact I can't remember the last time I had a bath.  Or maybe I can; it was about 5 1/2 years ago.  That's so lame.  After I got  home from the morning offsite, I had a meeting that was just hideous.  It was bad in a way that I had anticipated and I handled it well, but it was like, by then all of my senses were so sensitive, like everything was just crushing.  I noticed that I had been pretty emotionally raw the few days preceding.  I can cope with that in solitude, but I am sick, literally, of one of my colleagues' constant barrage of warfare against me.  I tell myself it's the price I pay for being the one the boss gives the strategic initiatives and for being successful, and there is some truth in that, but also it's just the guy's personality.  It still hurts my feelings.  Often people think I'm impervious because I am strong and I do handle things well.  It's a skill I had to build to get through my divorce and to survive, all these years, to be able to handle things and be a decent mom.  As such, they may not guess that when I hang up the phone on calls like that I want to vomit, cry, sleep, be held, drive to the mountains for a very long hike.

I did reach out to let my colleague whose hurtful remarks were likely unintended - more like she is exasperated because she doesn't think I am listening to her - and can follow through with that on Monday.  Also I sought affirmation from another colleague and received it; my observations were spot on and he was stunned our boss let it go on (attack by the OTHER colleague, he who shall not be named).

So I'm sensing a theme here, yes?  I need to be vulnerable to the people I trust.  And there is one person I trust, my boss, whom I am not being vulnerable to.  I feel protective of her and I also feel like she is observing how I handle these things to determine my readiness for leadership and help me grow.  And I did that!  I did handle things.  But to be honest I feel like she should have headed HWSNBN off at the pass and helped me out of the AMBUSH!!!!  So good, I am crystalizing my thoughts here.  I have two separate issues with the meeting.  One is to take corrective actions on the 25% of the concerns raised that had merit, and which I was already working on (hence the morning session) and the other is to cry foul on HWSNBN.  I'm really tired of his continuous attacks.  I want my boss to stand him down. 

Yay insight!  One of the best NSV that likely goes unsung.  But hey, when your brain isn't cluttered up with cravings and you aren't foggy in the mornings, it's rather inevitable. 

On the other hand - I don't feel good.  I had foot reflexology yesterday as my "treat" and I was ....near unto tapping out.  Just going to bed and not getting up.  I was amazed at what was sensitive, and the areas of my body that are suffering.  Liver, pineal gland (I didn't sleep well Thursday night), adrenals, bladder.  I need more support for my detoxification here.  I guess it's what is slowing me down.

Anyway, it's the weekend now and I have to do what I need for myself to make it through the rest of this detoxification flu crisis.  That's what I think this is.  I can do this.  I can.  I have support in the highest order and I do care deeply for my inner self, that girl/woman/mother who has carried a lot of hurts around and handled them well, but who can allow her emerging wise woman to take care of the whole.  I am really glad that I began this Whole 30 with the deep insight that I would need to go for 45 days on and another two weeks of slow, careful reintroduction of things that I think my body needs for nourishment and continued healing as opposed to reintroduction of things it is clearly rejecting.  Off to structure my day with balance and love.  I am going to copy this post to the over 50 area I'm into in hopes there are some experiencing similar things and maybe we can enjoy some serendipity.

That's great news,caed! Welcome, Quilter!

I'm not going 100% W30 for more than 35-45 days or so, but I am doing the Whole 9 challenge, so I do plan to be very thoughtful about eating. I like the "no diet" philosophy of food, so W30 will be the base for my permanent eating, with off-roading as a conscious, deliberate choice. I like the idea of being in charge, versus in control. I tend to lose control, but I intend to take charge--no guilt, no extreme emotions around food, and trusting my body to help guide my decisions. None of those thoughts are my own, though I am adopting them--it's from "Am I Hungry." What I like is that the Whole 30 and Whole 9 are easily aligned with these ideas.

exercise

I would love to hear more about the Whole9!  I've been thinking this is they way I want to live.  Can you share about your journey to adopt the lifestyle and maybe some lessons learned? 

Morning all. Welcome Melissa and thanks for sharing your story. Dairy is a tough one for me too. I finished my 30 days in the fall and wanted to add a few dairy items back into my diet, but it obviously causes inflammation - I have a couple of rashly patches and a recurring pimple (!) that appear when I'm eating cheese and disappear when I'm not eating cheese. I have known for a long time that I'm lactose intolerant, but my skin reacts to dairy fat too. It is dose dependent though, so I'm not completely breaking up with cheese. Just a nibble, now and then.

When I was walking with the dog yesterday, I was thinking about settling into eating this way from now on. It's basically how my grandmother ate, and she was lean and active well into her 90s. When I was getting plump in my teens, she advised me to cut way back on bread and potatoes... At that time, this was considered an old wives tale and the modern approach was to cut way back on fat. Old wives are way smarter than they ever got credit for.

I love this post - my grandmother was 104 years old when she passed away 2 years ago this April.  She was so beautiful, inside and out.  All of her life, she ate real food.  She gardened and canned and limited sugar and alcohol and was just a wonderful spirit.  You are so right about grandmothers (and fathers!) and I think it is AMAZING that we are all on our way to being part of a group of wise people with some life lessons to impart (see my other post today!)  Dairy...I think the Hartwigs have the right of it.  I dearly love cheese, but an olive gives me some of the same flavor, and advocados a bit of the texture...and cashew and almond milks rock.  Anyway, who wants to be yukky?  :)

good morning folks! a windy rainy beginning to day 13 for me here in southern oregon.

i made the pot roast from the book yesterday in my crockpot. i am sorry to report that it was not good. dry, tough, and tasteless. i could barely choke it down. dunno what i did wrong b/c i thought meat cooked in a crockpot is supposed to be tender. i cooked it on low for 8 hours. also the veggies were soggy. carrots are okay, but the sweet potatoes are...soggy. i won't waste sweet potatoes that way ever again. they are so delicious roasted that's it.  i'm new to crockpot cooking so i'm chalking it up to experience. but it was a disappointment. i'll have to figure out something to do with the leftover meat so it's actually edible.

meanwhile, another beautiful night of deep sleep and woke up before 6 ready to get out of bed. this is the most astonishing (and wonderful) aspect of the w30 for me so far. i have been an insomniac since perimenopause at 47 -- sometimes up half the night -- and always felt the need for more sleep even if i got a full night. now? i go to bed. i'm asleep within 15 minutes. i wake up in the morning, early, and even if i TRY to "sleep in" i can't because my body is just ready to go. i love how much more of the day i have now! and this is only day 13!

also, as predicted, my tummy is much flatter. i'm not getting bloated. i had a hysterectomy in march and 25 rounds of external pelvic radiation and after that the bloating has been just astronomical ever since. random. and astronomical -- i'd get up in the morning and within half an hour i looked (and felt) 8 months pregnant. this has not been fun. and it's a big reason i decided to try w30. i still get a little bloated now and then, but it's at a more "normal" level, and mostly i'm not bloated at all. wow. seriously great stuff.

wishing you all a great w30 day!

A couple of notes from Melimuse:  First, @Kathikay, you rock!  Second, I mixed up a reply to another Melissa thinking it was for me, ha ha, but that just goes to show how much folks have in common on this journey.  Sorry for the faux pas!  Third, I just want to say how encouraging I find it to read everyone's challenges and know I am not alone in persevering.  I think a lot of people over 50 just figure they're getting old and don't try to do something to keep themselves vital.  So Yay us!!!

azcoolmom i can't imagine what you must be going through, and to see your daughter with symptoms. my daughter is 31 and i know how i'd feel if i saw something like this coming on for her. big hugs to you, and all the best possible wishes for this way of feeding yourself as a solution. welcome!

Hey, KatK,

I appreciate your dedication to this thread. Let's make sure it stays lively.

For movies, if you like comedies with an ironic subtext, I have read that The Big Short" is really good. Sort of a combination of laughing and feeling superior. I try to feel that way as much as possible ;-)

I have also been wondering if your calendar app is hijacking your texts...schedule.or maybe the gods of satellite technology feel that you are way to loose with your time management, and keep trying to tell you to get with a ...schedule. or, most likely of all, you are secretly obsessed with everyone getting organized, so you feel the need to remind us all to get ourselves...scheduled!

So, two weeks and counting on this cold/flu. I am at that final stage when you feel guilty for not being 100%--when my dear mother would start making snarky comments under her breath that "SOME of us just get on with it." Ah well. I did get to the market yesterday, so we have plenty of supplies again. The threat of no coffee this morning was highly motivating.

Hey y'all, Day 12! Congrats to us

exercise

Love you posts!  Seriously make me laugh!  I had that cold and it's terrible!  Not sure I could have been that sick and did a Whole30...hats off to you my Foodie friend!  I really want to see Revanent but my happy perky daughter says no.  Too dark, too depressing.  She is probably right.  Will wait for it on pay per view.  Off to swim class...I am the hottest babe there!  LOL!

Schedule

That's great news,caed! Welcome, Quilter!

I'm not going 100% W30 for more than 35-45 days or so, but I am doing the Whole 9 challenge, so I do plan to be very thoughtful about eating. I like the "no diet" philosophy of food, so W30 will be the base for my permanent eating, with off-roading as a conscious, deliberate choice. I like the idea of being in charge, versus in control. I tend to lose control, but I intend to take charge--no guilt, no extreme emotions around food, and trusting my body to help guide my decisions. None of those thoughts are my own, though I am adopting them--it's from "Am I Hungry." What I like is that the Whole 30 and Whole 9 are easily aligned with these ideas.

exercise

Whats the difference between a Whole30 and a Whole9?  Not sure I knew there was two different programs?  Does a Whole9 have wine?  Cause if it does I'm making the switch at 5pm tonite!

Schedule

Hey KathyK,

The Whole 9 is a program that incorporates 9 lifestyle choices to build balance into our lives--for example, we concentrate on sleep, stress, eating, moving, social environment, etc.

It's kinda the Whole 30 writ large to life in general...check out the thread right here of those of us doing it by month (tackling one of the 9 aspects of living well per)--just scan this forum for the thread...can't remember the exact name, and I'm too lazy to pop out and have to re-type. I guess I'll tackle laziness in month 10.

Also, Google Whole 9 and you will see it's an extension of the Hartwig's eating plan.

As for wine, I'm sorry to report that we will just have to wait for that magical Day 31 to toast my incredibly amusing, but oh-so-insightful posts.

Exercise

Hi, all. I'm starting tomorrow, 1/17. Guess I'm a bit tardy to the party. Or maybe just arriving fashionably late. I turned 55 on the 4th of this month, so you know... there was my birthday week. And then last week was... um... my post birthday week. But as of tomorrow, no more excuses! This will be my second go 'round, and I'm really looking forward to it (silly me). Glad I was pointed in the direction of this group.

• Moderators

Whats the difference between a Whole30 and a Whole9?  Not sure I knew there was two different programs?  Does a Whole9 have wine?  Cause if it does I'm making the switch at 5pm tonite!

Schedule

Check out the Whole9 webpage for more information. It's basically nine factors that the Hartwigs believe are foundations for a good life. Food is one of those principles, and is addressed by the Whole30. 

• Administrators

Hey KathyK,

The Whole 9 is a program that incorporates 9 lifestyle choices to build balance into our lives--for example, we concentrate on sleep, stress, eating, moving, social environment, etc.

It's kinda the Whole 30 writ large to life in general...check out the thread right here of those of us doing it by month (tackling one of the 9 aspects of living well per)--just scan this forum for the thread...can't remember the exact name, and I'm too lazy to pop out and have to re-type. I guess I'll tackle laziness in month 10.

Also, Google Whole 9 and you will see it's an extension of the Hartwig's eating plan.

As for wine, I'm sorry to report that we will just have to wait for that magical Day 31 to toast my incredibly amusing, but oh-so-insightful posts.

Exercise

Foodie, are you typing "exercise" at the end of your posts? Or is this similar to Kathikay's "schedule"?

Hi everyone, I was feeling sorry for myself since it appears that I will have to go on the AIP whole foods program.  I have been eating egg casserole and turkey chili and my joints in my hands feel even worse..  I was better when I was eating other foods during days 6-9.  I am Italian, and now I can't have noodles or tomatoes?? Not happy.  But then I read topics that were written a few days ago..... I shouldn't complain.

Kathikay-see Star Wars, it is really good!

Intrepid- Welcome aboard

I am Italian, and now I can't have noodles or tomatoes?? Not happy.  But then I read topics that were written a few days ago..... I shouldn't complain.

That's too bad about the noodles or tomatoes. I was a breadaholic. Pasta was a close second. Then I was diagnosed with celiac disease. I had to give up wheat, barley and rye. I still had problems so then had to give up all grains. It was devastating at first, but I learned to live without them. I make zoodles or spaghetti squash. Not only has my gut improved without those, with the Whole30 my RA is giving me much less pain and I'm moving better, especially my hands. When your W30 is over, you might be able to try some noodles not made with wheat. There are tons now.

Welcome, Intrepid, I'm happy you joined us.

We seldom see snow in my part of VA but temperatures are falling and it is sleeting now so snow maybe. It never lasts more than a day. It's a good day to prep for the upcoming week. Pork Butt was on sale for $1.29 so Kahula Pork is definitely on the menu with plenty for the freezer. Beef stew sounds good, too. I need to try a new recipe and keep some variety in my menu. I was really happy to find Cauliflower Rice at TJ in the freezer case. Have a wonderful day.

Hi everyone, I was feeling sorry for myself since it appears that I will have to go on the AIP whole foods program.  I have been eating egg casserole and turkey chili and my joints in my hands feel even worse..  I was better when I was eating other foods during days 6-9.  I am Italian, and now I can't have noodles or tomatoes?? Not happy.  But then I read topics that were written a few days ago..... I shouldn't complain.

Kathikay-see Star Wars, it is really good!

Intrepid- Welcome aboard

Welcome never2late,

I can sympathize about the eggs casserole and turkey chili, and I'm assuming you don't mean regular pasta noodles, as they are not allowed at all in the Whole 30.  One thing you may want to consider would be the ingredients in these dishes.  I think I may have a sensitivity to chili powder, for example, as I use it to make marinades, rubs and in a chocolate chili recipe you can find on line from The Clothes Make the Girl (super popular with my whole family).  I found an entry on line that lists nightshades https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanaceae  It includes tomatoes, chili and bell peppers, eggplant, and white potatoes.  Yikes!  I should think that list would be difficult in a family that is used to eating Italian cuisine.

At any rate, if you do have arthritis pain, maybe you could think about discovering that one of these foods is causing it, in the next 30 days, as a wonderful benefit!  I know it would be hard to give up, but just think - what if you found out that you could be pain free just by not eating nightshades, gluten and dairy!!!

I find I am close to pain free on this diet.  It's worth it to me, it really is.  I want vitality and strength more than I want specific foods.  Also, I am going to do a very slow-roll reintroduction and maybe I'll find out that my sensitivity to one thing or another that I'm not eating on the Whole 30 was just a residual echo of something else.  If so, it will seem like a giant treat to re-incorporate into my meals.

I hope that helps.  Remember, it's only 30 days.  I tell members of my family who cringe in horror over the thought "hey, it's not even as long as Lent.  I'll live."

You can do this!

Hi everyone, I just found a really great post on Nightshades from The Paleo Mom.  I am not an expert on the Whole 30 so I will let moderators cry foul if any of the links I'm sharing prove to be unreliable.  This looks pretty legitimate to me but I would encourage everyone who has an instinct they might need the AIP to start with The Whole 30 book and look in the index for further reading.  However, other than that disclaimer,  here you go:

http://www.thepaleomom.com/2013/08/what-are-nightshades.html

Good... Afternoon. How did that happen? I'm usually on here bright and early. So it's no longer early, but very bright here - sunny and 30 below wind chills until Tuesday. I'm going outside though. When exposed flesh starts to freeze in 40 seconds, you don't have any exposed flesh and you keep moving. I will not be imprisoned by the polar vortex.

Archived