Multiple Questions about Trader Joe's

MuseumGirl

Hey everyone! I'm starting my first whole30 on Wednesday and I'm getting ready for it! But I was super discouraged doing my shopping today at Trader Joe's. Everything seems to have sugar and I'm so confused! The raw, unsalted cashews (with zero additives, the only ingredient is raw cashews) has 2g of sugar?! The coconut flour (only ingredient listed was coconut) has 2g? Shredded raw coconut has 2g? Is this ok? The ingredients look fine but the listed sugars, not so much.

I've read that even 0g listed on bottles means it's not compliant. The double roasted salsa (which I'd heard was compliant) has 0g of sugar, but the only ingredients listed are totally compliant (tomatoes, water, double roasted peppers, onions, cilantro, cider vinegar, jalapeños, lime, garlic, sea salt, cumin, pepper). Plantain chips (with just plantains, sunflower oil, and salt) also have 0g of sugar. Are these ok?

I might be overthinking this because the listed ingredients all seem ok, but still -- I want to be sure!

You're right to focus on the INGREDIENT lists, not the nutrition labels.  The 2g of sugar in the raw cashews is naturally occurring sugar.  Raw, unsalted cashews are fine (as a fat source, in moderation - have a look at the shopping list for superior fat sources).  Same with the raw coconut.  I would recommend the raw coconut flakes over coconut flour; there's not much use for the latter during the program.

0g in the nutrition label is a red herring - the product may or may not be compliant, depending on the INGREDIENT list.  The double-roasted salsa looks fine, depending on the oil used to roast the peppers.  Plantain chips are NOT fine because they're a form of junk food (even if the ingredients are compliant).

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, store-bought plantain chips are not compliant with the Whole30 program.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

If the ingredients list is compliant, those are good choices :)

Nutrition panels can be very deceiving, which is why we read the ingredients list. Some things are added in small amounts so they don't show in the nutrition numbers, others are added to skew the numbers, so they're not always a good indicator of anything.

If you're not sure, just review the rules and ingredients: http://whole30.com/downloads/official-whole30-program-rules.pdf

My first thought was that these must just be noted, natural ocuuring sugars, but I had to check! Thanks so much. I've read and re-read (and probably over-read) the rules and info. Finished the book and have been having fun looking through various blogs for tips and recipes. I think I'm getting confused with all the info I've seen, haha. I bought all of this earlier hoping it was compliant. :) Coconut flour will be used only to bind together some meatballs and make an egg casserole dish. But I'm bummed to hear about plantains being a no-go! I thought I'd read somewhere they were in the clear if used as an ingredient (not a chip snack)? I was hoping to use them as stand in tortillas for my tortilla soup, but I'll just eat them all before Wednesday!

UPDATE: In light of the new, April 1, 2017 ruling on commercial chips of any kind, store-bought plantain chips are not compliant with the Whole30 program.  Were you to make your own though (ie, tostones), that would be fine.

That recipe looks amazing! As do the nachos!! I've been looking at some of her recipes but I'm adding this to my must-try list. One of the best parts of this whole thing is getting out of my food/cooking comfort zones and trying new things, I'm excited.

Archived