tossing and turning

I realize today is only day 5 and I need to be patient, but I am really struggling with sleep! This is my third Whole 30 and I'm coming off a rather big splurge month of parties and drinking and not very great eating.  While I do eat Whole 30 80% of the time, the holidays seemed to have gotten the better of me.

A typical day looks like this so far:

M1- 3 eggs with spaghetti squash and pesto with zucchini soup

M2- 2 chicken drumsticks with sautéed greens with a sweet potato and mayo

M3 - beef stew with broccoli and asparagus and mayo drizzle

M1 - 3 eggs with mushroom tomato guacamole and zucchini soup

M2 - 2 salmon cakes with mayo and broccoli and cucumber

M3 - stir fry with ground beef, cabbage, broccoli, asparagus, mushroom, sweet potato and generous mayo drizzle

What's been happening is no matter when I go to sleep (10pm, 11pm 12) I toss and turn and then it seems around 2:30 I fall asleep and then I'm up at 5.  Then because I really can't fall back to sleep I get up and eat breakfast because I don't want to not eat within the first hour of waking.

If you look at my meals I think I have a nice amount and variety of carbs.  Anything else you think I could tweak?

I have been a good sleeper before this and don't want to resort to supplements or aids so I appreciate any and all suggestions.  

You might still be feeling effects of your self-described "big splurge."

Actually, I'm only seeing one carb-dense veg daily: the sweet potato. Other examples include carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, winter squash, plantains, jicama. I'm not sure that the carb-dense veggies are your issue.

I wonder whether you're getting enough fat: try the upper end of the template recommendation at each meal.

Be sure you're drinking enough water - at least 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily.

Are you drinking caffeine after noon? That could disrupt sleep.

Do you have a bedtime routine to help you fall asleep?  For example, no screens at least an hour before bed, no eating 2 hours before bed, sleeping in a cool, comfortable dark room with no light sources. If you have thoughts running through your head, have a way to do a brain dump before bed (having a notepad and pen by your bed to write everything down, even if it makes no sense, can help.)

How is your current stress level?

Had this same experience last night (today is Day 4 for me as well).  I was awake at 2:20 and was still awake at 4 a.m.  However, I think part of my problem was all the guilt I felt about how cross I was with my family!  I knew that I would be cranky, but I took it to an art form yesterday!  Had 2 of my 3 daughters in tears at least once, and during my wakeful hours I kept replaying those horrible moments.  

This is my first Whole30, and one of my goals was to kick my poor sleeping habits (I drink plenty of water, get a good workout in at least 5x/week, and limit pre-sleep screen time).  My neighbor who recommended the Whole30 to me says that she always sleeps better ... hoping this will kick in soon!

• Administrators

Poor sleep at the beginning is fairly common, even if you enter into the Whole30 as an excellent sleeper, you may experience sleep disruptions.  This typically goes away before too long.

For Dee, are you saying you're eating breakfast at 5am? Then what time is lunch and dinner? Are you getting a comfortable 4-5 hours between meals? I think you might not be eating enough.  2 drumsticks isn't very much meat and 2 salmon cakes are not much at all.  Try bumping up your portions.  And you could try moving your starchy veggie to your third meal, some people report that helps with sleep.

For MamaGraz, don't worry.  Families are resilient and they love you and while you may still be stewing on the troubles you had, it is probably already a faint memory for them.  Apologize as you feel you need to, give some extra hugs and attention and be ok with being a fallible human being. It's alright!

For both of you and anyone else coming along, check out these sleep hygiene articles.

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-your-sleep/

http://whole9life.com/2014/09/improve-sleep-quality/

Ladyshanny - yes if I wake up at 5 and can't go back to sleep I eat breakfast at like 5:15 after I cook it.  Then if I eat that early like I did today I eat lunch at 12 and then tonight I had dinner at 7pm.  Today I was not hungry in between meals at all.  I am having 2 sweet potatoes a day  (one at lunch and one at dinner) and zucchini soup daily with breakfast so I thought that was enough carbs.  I will up my protein per meal and see how it goes tomorrow.  I thought 2 drumsticks and 2 salmon cakes are a portion, but I guess not! :)  

I will up both carbs and protein and report back! 

GFChris - I only have 1 cup of coffee per day and it's not past 7am, I drink at least half of my body weight in water and while my stress is high it always has been and doesn't normally stop me from sleeping.  I was considering doing 20 minutes of yoga before bed and then meditating so I will try that tonight.  

MamaGraz- I hope you get to sleep soon too! 

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

• Moderators

I thought 2 drumsticks and 2 salmon cakes are a portion, but I guess not! :)  

Hey Dee

A serving for protein is the size of your palm (length, width, thickness). Drums for sure, once you take the meat off aren't that much and the template calls for 1-2 palms... not sure how big your salmon cakes were but same goes for those guys...

Thanks SugarcubeOD - Yes I wasn't really thinking about how big it was in regards to once you take the meat off. LOL! Actually whenever I only eat 2 I am a bit hungry still so it makes sense.  My salmon cakes are made from Well Fed with a portion being from 1/3 cup of the mixture so I do think they are the right portion, but I will add more food and have today and see what happens.  But you're totally right about the drumsticks so thanks.

• Moderators

Thanks SugarcubeOD - Yes I wasn't really thinking about how big it was in regards to once you take the meat off. LOL! Actually whenever I only eat 2 I am a bit hungry still so it makes sense.  My salmon cakes are made from Well Fed with a portion being from 1/3 cup of the mixture so I do think they are the right portion, but I will add more food and have today and see what happens.  But you're totally right about the drumsticks so thanks.

As nutrition across days is cumulative, it's possible that your salmon cakes fit the bill perfectly but you were already more hungry than you would have been normally because of the smaller meal the day before.  Definitely try and match your meals to the template and don't be scared of hitting the high end of the template for a few days to get a good base under you so your body knows food's a comin'!

Ugh, I feel your pain. I am also experiencing little to no sleep. The sleep I do get is like "waking sleep" and I am totally aware of everything around me. I use the sleep cycle app and it says I've had less than 50% sleep quality (awake or moving around for more than 50% of the time) every night this week. At 2:30 am last night I got so frustrated, I was nearly in tears, I took a sleep aid so maybe I could get four hours before waking up for an early dentist appointment, but that didn't help either!

I hope this passes soon. I keep my caffeine intake to before lunch time. But, I am not experiencing much hunger, and probably not eating as much as I should, so maybe I'll fiddle with my portion sizes and see what happens. 

Wishing good z's to everyone soon!

I am seriously struggling with sleep as well. This is Day 4 for me and I haven't slept the last three nights. I went back to bed after my kids left for school and laid there for an hour, looking at the ceiling.

I am eating lots of leafy green veggies, ghee and coconut oil, along with olive oil based dressings and only had potatoes twice since this started. I'm also eating only one serving of fruit per day.

This is exhausting!

• Administrators

I am seriously struggling with sleep as well. This is Day 4 for me and I haven't slept the last three nights. I went back to bed after my kids left for school and laid there for an hour, looking at the ceiling.

I am eating lots of leafy green veggies, ghee and coconut oil, along with olive oil based dressings and only had potatoes twice since this started. I'm also eating only one serving of fruit per day.

This is exhausting!

Hi Leslie, I refer you to the first sentence in my post #5 above.  :)  You'll get through this, just keep on.

• Moderators

Can you list what else you've been eating including timing and portion sizes?  And why are you only eating potatoes twice?  Eating starchy carbs with your Meal 3 may help with sleep.

You can look into a magnesium supplement like Natural Calm as well as people report that very helpful for helping regulate sleep.

Is there anything else going on with you that may be impacting your sleep? High stress? Are you very worried about something?  

Today is Day 7 and it's getting better! Not all the way there, but I had 6 hours last night so I felt pretty good today.  It was very hard to fall asleep but then I think I got a decent sleep once I was out.  Hang in there Leslie706 and bonitabonitabonita.  

I'm hoping by Day 14 I will be fine.  I am eating 2 sweet potatoes per day and zucchini soup and carrots in stir-fry's so I think I am getting plenty of carbs.

This works for me - from the book "potatoes not Prozac": have protein and non starch veg for dinner. Three hours later - for me, this is right before bed - have a small potato. I microwave a small Yukon gold, smash it, and drizzle it with ghee, salt, pepper.

The carb in the potato is said to create an insulin response that mobilizes large amino acids to the muscles, leaving small amino acids lik tryptophan in the blood stream and it goes rushing to the brain where it boosts seratonin. Result: you sleep soundly.

Here is a link, explaining the science:

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.htm

It's a neat trick and it really works.

Interesting Minimal4Me I will read about that for sure.  I think I actually slept last night from 11-6 which would be 7 straight hours.  I know it's funny that I'm like I think, but when I woke up I didn't remember waking up in the middle of the night like I usually do.  I am hoping tonight I do the same.  My first Whole 30 it took 6 days before my sleep was back and today is Day 11 for me so that's not so bad.  I am very stressed right now too so that might be playing into it, but typically even with stress I sleep.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses and help!

Thanks for the suggestion minimal4me.  I'm still not sleeping soundly all night and I'm resistant to trying this potato trick because I don't know why. LOL!

I want to be able to eat my 3 meals a day and sleep.  Today is Day 13 for me and if I don't sleep tonight I will cave and try it.  

• Administrators

Hi Dee, did you want to try something like magnesium? Nearly all people are deficient due to soil depletion. Magnesium (like natural calm) is well known to help with sleep (and bathroom habits if that is an issue for you).

Hi Ladyshanny thanks! Bathroom is not a problem.  :) Actually I finally had a great sleep last night.  I didn't want to take anything as I would love to just keep on trying with diet as sleep was not an issue before I started. That being said it was really nice to sleep last night and I feel amazing today.  Day 14 so I guess I just needed a full 2 weeks to adjust and if the sleep continues I will be thrilled.  Thanks for your help.

• Administrators

Hi Ladyshanny thanks! Bathroom is not a problem.  :) Actually I finally had a great sleep last night.  I didn't want to take anything as I would love to just keep on trying with diet as sleep was not an issue before I started. That being said it was really nice to sleep last night and I feel amazing today.  Day 14 so I guess I just needed a full 2 weeks to adjust and if the sleep continues I will be thrilled.  Thanks for your help.

I get not wanting to have to "take" something, for sure!  Just know that magnesium is essential to human function and we are all basically deficient.  So you're really only getting your body back to where it should be when taking a mag supp, rather than adding something foreign designed to force your body to do something it isn't interested in.  So sleep and bathrooming aside, I still recommend a magnesium supplement.  For everyone.  :)

Archived