tossing and turning

Ladyshanny and Praxisproject - Ok, so do I just buy any magnesium supplement?  Is there a recommended amount to take?  I am stressed so maybe I should do it as sleep alluded me last night again.  So my good sleep was short lived.  Thanks again! 

• Administrators

The one I use is Natural Calm (unsweetened). You start slow, 1 tsp maybe for a week and then increase slowly. You basically want to titrate your dosage to your bowel movements. Basically magnesium draws water into the digestive tract so you keep increasing until you get to a comfortable bowel movement. And while it's working on your BMs, it's also helping you sleep. :). (Do note that you could have some pretty strange dreams for the first couple nights, that goes away after the first little bit)

I was sleeping very poorly for a while, mostly because I was too hungry at night at woke up starving around 4.  I cured this by having a mini-meal, piece of pre-roasted sweet potato and a bite of turkey at about 9pm, (I eat dinner around 5:30-6).  This may slow down the weight loss but I get closer to sleeping until a reasonable hour in the morning.  Also, I really got serious about the screen time, turning it off at 9 or earlier, darkening the bedroom (sewed new dark curtains) and never looking at a clock until morning (I usually set an alarm so I don't have to worry if I am getting up too early).  Looking at a screen in bed is like drinking a couple expressos and trying to go to sleep (read this in some reputable research) because of the light. It has taken about 40 days to get to the point where I am only waking up once at night but I was a terrible sleeper before whole 30.  I finally am not hungry at night! So it will come, be patient if you can.  A little meditation might help or even just some deep breathing.  All that hangry stuff never happened to me with a good dose of meditation and breathing every day.

Thanks KJB  I really only have sleep problems when I do the Whole 30 and when I saw it's still going on it's that I wake up in the middle of night once a night.  That might be some people's normal, but not mine.  I normally sleep all night no problem.  My last 2 whole 30's this went away within a week so not sure why it's taking so long to go back to good sleep, but I also started working out again today as up until now my first 16 days I have just been doing light yoga daily. I wonder if working out again like I used to (I did a boot camp today) if that will help get me back on track.  Will let you know and thanks for the advice.

I think I figured out what was going on with me, and I still don't have the natural calm, but it'll be good to have it regardless. Typically my blood pressure is 100/70.  When I have adopted a strict whole foods diet before (pre Whole 30) my blood pressure has gotten very low because I tend not to eat much salt.  

It really didn't occur to me until yesterday - I was tired all day seemingly for no reason and ate a handful of salted pistachios.  It sorta gave me some energy and I then thought about this fact.  I cook everything myself, but I tend to use very little salt especially in comparison to most people or most restaurants.  I haven't eaten much nuts this Whole 30, and if I have they've always been raw.  Yesterday I really put some salt  on my stir fry at lunch and in my guacamole at dinner and I slept soundly all night and woke up with a TON OF ENERGY! Hello TIGER BLOOD! This is the feeling I remember from my last 2 Whole 30's and why I love this way of eating.  I have been feeling really bummed that I wasn't experiencing it.  I'm so glad I stuck with it and I do think it was salt that was my problem.

Not sure if this is anyone else's situation, but I can't tell you how good I feel today after getting 7 hours of straight sleep and then jumping out of bed this morning.  

Sleep is still not happening so I'm not taking the natural calm.  1 tsp has not helped, but maybe in a few days it will.  I doubt I can take much more or it will effect my bowels as I'm on the cusp of having problems right now.  I'm hoping it has a cumulative effect and in a few nights starts to kick in.  As for energy I'm great.  I do think it was my sodium levels.

• Moderators

Sleep is still not happening so I'm not taking the natural calm.  1 tsp has not helped, but maybe in a few days it will.  I doubt I can take much more or it will effect my bowels as I'm on the cusp of having problems right now.  I'm hoping it has a cumulative effect and in a few nights starts to kick in.  As for energy I'm great.  I do think it was my sodium levels.

I started taking it as just a teaspoon... took it two days, stopped for a few days to let my bowels regulate themselves and now I do 2tsp per night about every second night or so and no potty trouble, just good sleep and easy bathroom... Try again with the 1tsp in a few days :)

Wow! I literally have had 2 awesome nights of sleep and I'm shocked as I'm on Day 24 so it took me 22 days into the program to figure out how to finally sleep through the night.  I took a few nights off from the Natural calm as sugarcubeod had suggested and then took 1 tsp the last 2 nights.  I had awesome sleep and today feel amazing.  Yesterday I was sorta groggy, but today I woke up with energy and hungry which I haven't woken up hungry since I started.  I do think that's a good sign.  My GI problems from the Natural Calm seem to have subsided. I'm interested to see how the rest of the week will go and want to continue the program beyond the 30 days to get myself into a healthy rhythm with all of this.  This is my 3rd Whole 30 and I never had such a hard time with sleep but I am also under the most stress I have ever been in so I guess that is playing into all of it. Thanks again! It is so nice to sleep!

I seriously love Natural Calm.  I sleep so well with it.  I don't know if that means I probably was deficient in magnesium, but since I started taking it every night I feel amazing and get very deep sleep.  I can't recommend it enough if you're having problems.

• Administrators

I seriously love Natural Calm.  I sleep so well with it.  I don't know if that means I probably was deficient in magnesium, but since I started taking it every night I feel amazing and get very deep sleep.  I can't recommend it enough if you're having problems.

SO happy for you, Dee!!!!!!!!

Hi Praxisproject I had no idea really about magnesium and I read about health a lot.  I have been under enormous work stress for months now and so by doing the Whole 30 this month it has been nice as eating well is one less stress for my body/mind.  I was very tired until I started getting sleep so I switched over to yoga as I felt too tired to do super strenuous workouts on a regular basis so maybe I've done 1-2 of those per week and the rest very gentle yoga.  Now with the Natural Calm I am back to my old self with energy so it's been great.  I need to work on less stress and better ways to handle it, but I do love Natural Calm and I'm grateful to be able to take it as my sleep has been perfect at 8 hours a night.  I'm extending my Whole 30 as I would like a month of good sleep and good eating under my belt.  :)

Stress isn't just emotional, if you're losing weight, not getting enough sleep, healing or recovering from anything you can deplete a lot of your resources.

A lot of our food is not as nutritious as it used to be (not just the junk) due to soil depletion.

If you've seen a big change it might be worth getting some blood tests done, I'm often very low on magnesium, vitamin c, zinc and iron, even though I consume a lot, so now I get regular tests and take some prescription supplements.

Liver is also a powerhouse for nutrition, Mel Joulwan has great chicken liver recipes (written for people like me who had never cooked liver before).

Hi Praxiproject - Yes I was thinking along the same lines in regards to getting blood work done.  Before I started the Whole 30 on Jan. 1 I wasn't haven't any trouble with sleep, but it has never taken me this long to actually work out a sleep issue with this way of eating.  I think blood work is in order, so thanks for echoing my own thoughts.

Archived