MzMeka

Good morning everyone!

I'm 35 overweight (5'4, 212 lbs)and ready for a lifestyle change! I have a 17 month old daughter and she deserves an energetic mom.

My obsession is carbs.  I can go the whole day drinking very little water and eating pretty much nothing, but carbs.  Yesterday... that ended.  It ended with me stuffing french fries into my mouth. :wacko:

Yesterday, I grocery shopped and did a little meal prep.  Meal prep will be key as if I don't have anything on hand - I am likely to quit.  Also, I need to learn to flavor my foods so I will look forward to them!

I work at 6AM (M-F) and I packed with me today:

Matcha Green Tea

Breakfast casserole with eggs, spinach, sweet potatoes, sausage, onion

Big Ole Salad - romaine lettuce, spinach, carrots, celery, cucumber, tomatoes, grilled chicken with Tessemae's Green Goddess Dressing

20 unsalted almonds

Orange

48oz of water

Hopefully that is enough food to get me through the day! I'm nervous, but I'll be taking it day-by-day... and according to Whole 30's infographic - today will be easy breezy and won't be tough to get through!  My boyfriend is doing the challenge too, but he works at a restaurant and has access to the right and wrong types of food. 

Welcome! This is my second Whole30. I successfully completed one in July, but did not do the reintroduciton.  So, quickly slipped back intoo eating unhealthy.  New Year, New Me!  I started on January 1st.  Your food today looks good.  I wouldn't worry about counting your almonds. A handful is usually sufficient.  Are you adding the almonds/orange as a snack  or are you eating them with your lunch?  I only ask, since snacks are for only if you are really really really hungry or an emergency during Whole30.  When I have fruit I always eat it with my meal so it doesn't feel like a treat.  Snacking was the hardest thing for me to give up. I still work on it.  Everyday is a new day!  Good luck on your journey!

Welcome! This is my second Whole30. I successfully completed one in July, but did not do the reintroduciton.  So, quickly slipped back intoo eating unhealthy.  New Year, New Me!  I started on January 1st.  Your food today looks good.  I wouldn't worry about counting your almonds. A handful is usually sufficient.  Are you adding the almonds/orange as a snack  or are you eating them with your lunch?  I only ask, since snacks are for only if you are really really really hungry or an emergency during Whole30.  When I have fruit I always eat it with my meal so it doesn't feel like a treat.  Snacking was the hardest thing for me to give up. I still work on it.  Everyday is a new day!  Good luck on your journey!

Hi Jenny B!

I planned on having the orange and almonds as a snack, but actually ended up eating the almonds with my lunch salad because I wasn't really full.  I sit at a desk all day and snacking is definitely the hardest.  I think that forcing myself to drink all of this water :mellow: is taking up time that I would normally be eating. LOL! Congrats on coming back for round 2!

Hi MzMeka, I started today, too! Good luck on your Whole30 journey. Your breakfast casserole sounds great! I'm going to try that.

The casserole was pretty good! How was your first day?

I started today too! Exact same stats as yours (down to the fact I have a 17 mo) except add 80lbs :(

We've got this though!

That's pretty cool! Life with a 17 month is great and crazy. My daughter is a handful! How was your first day?

Day 2...

Last night for dinner I had apple spinach sausage, cauliflower rice, and cabbage with onions and apples.  I shared with an after work snack with my daughter (1/2 small banana).  I slept well last night...until the baby woke up at 3... I was pretty much up until my alarm went off at 4:45.

Right now, I'm at work sipping on matcha green tea.  I'll be having my breakfast casserole soon and dinner leftovers for lunch.  I brought an orange just in case and 48 oz of water.

I forgot to mention that I take supplements.  With breakfast I take vitamin D3 and omega-3 and with dinner magnesium citrate.

Yesterday went well; however, I miss the feeling of being stuffed.  I know that's weird, but I have to learn to like and appreciate feeling satisfied and not uncomfortable.  I'm sleepy and going to look for recipes for dinner tonight.  One that involves the grass-fed ground beef in my fridge!!

Day 2...

Last night for dinner I had apple spinach sausage, cauliflower rice, and cabbage with onions and apples.  I shared with an after work snack with my daughter (1/2 small banana).  I slept well last night...until the baby woke up at 3... I was pretty much up until my alarm went off at 4:45.

Right now, I'm at work sipping on matcha green tea.  I'll be having my breakfast casserole soon and dinner leftovers for lunch.  I brought an orange just in case and 48 oz of water.

I forgot to mention that I take supplements.  With breakfast I take vitamin D3 and omega-3 and with dinner magnesium citrate.

Yesterday went well; however, I miss the feeling of being stuffed.  I know that's weird, but I have to learn to like and appreciate feeling satisfied and not uncomfortable.  I'm sleepy and going to look for recipes for dinner tonight.  One that involves the grass-fed ground beef in my fridge!!

MzMeka, I TOTALLY get missing that feeling of being stuffed! On the one hand, sometimes that feeling is uncomfortable (or even hurts), but at least I feel confident that I have truly filled up. But you're right that we can learn to appreciate feeling satisfied without that stuffed feeling--and it will be better for us.

Day 1 went pretty well for me. I hadn't cleaned out my pantry because we had just returned from the in-laws' on Sunday night, but I didn't feel tempted by the leftover chocolate at all. I think it's because I enjoyed a ton of sugar over the holidays and felt really ready to return to better habits. We'll see though--this won't last forever. :) And first thing I did when I got up this morning was cleaned out my pantry!

Hi Jenny B!

I planned on having the orange and almonds as a snack, but actually ended up eating the almonds with my lunch salad because I wasn't really full.  I sit at a desk all day and snacking is definitely the hardest.  I think that forcing myself to drink all of this water :mellow: is taking up time that I would normally be eating. LOL! Congrats on coming back for round 2!

Yea, I sit all day too.  So, snacking is difficult for me to give up. I find if I don't bring it then I don't eat it!  LOL! Somedays I am hungry others I am not.  I am drinking tons of water so it seems to help as well!

Good Morning!

I started yesterday as well - 1st one :) 

I made a breakfast casserole that was super good, and had some ground pork in it, seasoned like sausage (and really tasted like it too)! 

Yesterday was a breeze, but I did have some extra chocolate that I had to pour dish soap over so as to not eat it...my will power is horrible!! Today I woke up a bit sore and groggy, but I am feeling good now!

Have an awesome day today!! I look forward to sharing our adventure together!!

MzMeka, I TOTALLY get missing that feeling of being stuffed! On the one hand, sometimes that feeling is uncomfortable (or even hurts), but at least I feel confident that I have truly filled up. But you're right that we can learn to appreciate feeling satisfied without that stuffed feeling--and it will be better for us.

Day 1 went pretty well for me. I hadn't cleaned out my pantry because we had just returned from the in-laws' on Sunday night, but I didn't feel tempted by the leftover chocolate at all. I think it's because I enjoyed a ton of sugar over the holidays and felt really ready to return to better habits. We'll see though--this won't last forever. :) And first thing I did when I got up this morning was cleaned out my pantry!

I need to clean up my pantry, fridge, and freezer still.  My daughter is at the picky stage... the only things she'll consistently eat are rice and apples. LOL. I'm not sure if I should keep cereals and other foods on hand for her.  Yesterday when I picked her up from my mother's she was eating spaghetti. I picked up a piece, put it in my mouth, took it out my mouth and threw it away. I can't believe I almost slipped up! I'm glad that you understand me missing the feeling of being stuffed. It seems like something others wouldn't get. Since you cleaned the pantry this morning, I take it that your significant other is doing paleo too. How dedicated are they?

Yea, I sit all day too.  So, snacking is difficult for me to give up. I find if I don't bring it then I don't eat it!  LOL! Somedays I am hungry others I am not.  I am drinking tons of water so it seems to help as well!

I thought about leaving money and debit cards home, so that I can't buy anything from the vending machines. Luckily, so far - of course it's only day 2, I'm fine. I've had just enough meetings to not allow me to snack. Here's to willpower!

I thought about leaving money and debit cards home, so that I can't buy anything from the vending machines. Luckily, so far - of course it's only day 2, I'm fine. I've had just enough meetings to not allow me to snack. Here's to willpower!

That is actually not a bad idea.  I was eyeing that vending machine yesterday with lust!  LOL!

Good Morning!

I started yesterday as well - 1st one :)

I made a breakfast casserole that was super good, and had some ground pork in it, seasoned like sausage (and really tasted like it too)! 

Yesterday was a breeze, but I did have some extra chocolate that I had to pour dish soap over so as to not eat it...my will power is horrible!! Today I woke up a bit sore and groggy, but I am feeling good now!

Have an awesome day today!! I look forward to sharing our adventure together!!

Tell me more about your breakfast casserole! I have plenty printed and pinned, but would love to learn more especially tried and true ones! Dish soap on the chocolate - that's really good. I'm proud of you. I'm fine today just sleepy which is because of my kid waking me at 3! Ugh I've been awake for over 8 hours and it's only 11AM.

Hello. I also started the plan yesterday and look forward to great results.

Congrats for starting. I'm looking forward to great results as well. I'm still trying to figure out what I will consider great. Will it be a certain amount of pounds or sizes dropped. Is it about feeling good or having more energy? How will you measure your success?

Tell me more about your breakfast casserole! I have plenty printed and pinned, but would love to learn more especially tried and true ones! Dish soap on the chocolate - that's really good. I'm proud of you. I'm fine today just sleepy which is because of my kid waking me at 3! Ugh I've been awake for over 8 hours and it's only 11AM.

http://www.fromthiskitchentable.com/sweet-potato-breakfast-casserole/

It was sooo good :)

I can imagine that you are tired - I would be a crank pot if I was woken up at 3am, Whole30 or not!! Good luck today!!!

Day 3

Breakfast - breakfast casserole with sausage, sweet potatoes, spinach, onion and green matcha tea

Lunch - BIG salad with chicken & shrimp with Green Goddess dressing

Dinner - ??? I need suggestions of how to prepare some organic grass-fed ground beef that I have!

I had a headache for some of the morning. I don't know if that's because my daughter is teething and was up at 1:30 and 3:45 or because of detoxing. Either way. :( Last night I was hungry and nervous.  I snacked on some almonds and split an orange with the baby after work.  For dinner I had my HUGE salad, but also ate some steak for good measure.  I went to bed early since I was tired and anticipating getting awoken in the middle of the night. 

After I drank my green tea this morning, my headache went away.  My head still feels a little cloudy though.  I'm proud that I've been at this 100% and hope I sail through the wanting to kill someone stage.  Prior to Whole30 I was a true carboholic.  I could have a donut and coffee from DD in the morning, pizza for lunch, crackers with peanut butter for a snack, and dinner with extra rolls later.  I really need this detox.  I am ending my infatuation with bread.  It's for my own good.

Dinner - ??? I need suggestions of how to prepare some organic grass-fed ground beef that I have!

I made some lettuce wraps last night - they were pretty great. seasoned the meat with paprika, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper, added onion and mushroom to the meat as it was finishing browing, and then served in bibb lettuce with shredded carrots and red cabbage, avocado and salsa verde. I used half turkey and half beef and had plenty for a taco salad today. 

I am also planning on trying meatloaf muffins and meatballs in the coming weeks...and this Shepard's Pie recipe looks awesome :)

LMK how it goes! 

Just dropping in to say hi!  I'm on day 3 too. Nice to have someone on the exact same timeframe.  My mother in law and sis in law are doing it too, same day as me, and two coworkers are doing it, a few days ahead of me.  Had a nice "hangover" this morning myself, dragged myself to yoga (doing a 30-day yoga challenge too) and then felt better, but still a little sleepy.  Also hoping to not want to kill too many things in the next few days!  I'll start a thread soon, have a good day!

Day 4 -

I pulled out the essential oils last night.  I mixed a couple drops of lavender with coconut oil and rubbed it on my daughters feet, back of neck, and wrists.  Coincidence? Maybe! However, she went to sleep around 7:30 and was still sleep when I left the house at 5:30 this morning.  So far, I'm not wanting to kill anyone or anything!  I'm sipping some unsweetened lemon herbal tea. 

After work, I had half of a banana with my daughter.  For dinner, I made burgers on sweet potato "buns" and kale.  I would post a picture, but I'm not sure how!  Last night I felt fine. 

Breakfast - breakfast casserole & strawberries

Lunch - 4 oz burger, last of the leftover cabbage w/ apples, and cauliflower rice

For next week, I'll make two smaller breakfast casseroles to give myself variety.  I also need muster up the energy/time to cook a couple dinners, so that I'm not cooking every night.  My box from Thrive came last night, so now I have coconut aminos, coconut milk, larger container of coconut oil, almond flour, balsamic vinegar, and some other goodies.  If you ever think of ordering from there or checking them out, let me refer you!  They have really good prices.  It's at least worth a free trial!

For dinner, I'm thinking about making a chicken broccoli stir-fry.  The coconut aminos will be perfect for what I have in mind.  What's everyone else having tonight? 

Geralyn - those lettuce wraps sound good.  I've bookmarked it for the near future.  I have plenty ground beef.  I have also been looking at different meatloaf and meatball recipes.  I can't wait to try them!  I'll let you try the shepherd's pie first - so be sure to let me know how it tastes!

Thank you Tammy and Bethany for stopping by.  The thought of others following my journey is really encouraging to me.  I really need to incorporate some exercise, but I'm not really for a yoga challenge yet!  :)  Bethany it's great that you have so many doing the challenge with you.  You can hang around others who are less likely to temp you.  My mother wanted me to try this brown butter sauce she put on her salmon.  She couldn't tell me the ingredient, so I had to decline! Tammy - my advice is to prep, prep, prep!

I bet it was so great for you to get a full night of sleep! Hope it helped you all day today :)

How were the sweet potato buns? I was looking at the different varieties in the Whole30 book, and I kind of want to try them out!

Have a good evening!

I need to clean up my pantry, fridge, and freezer still.  My daughter is at the picky stage... the only things she'll consistently eat are rice and apples. LOL. I'm not sure if I should keep cereals and other foods on hand for her.  Yesterday when I picked her up from my mother's she was eating spaghetti. I picked up a piece, put it in my mouth, took it out my mouth and threw it away. I can't believe I almost slipped up! I'm glad that you understand me missing the feeling of being stuffed. It seems like something others wouldn't get. Since you cleaned the pantry this morning, I take it that your significant other is doing paleo too. How dedicated are they?

MzMeka, sorry for the delay in my reply! The spaghetti story is funny. We all have unconscious things we do with food...

My husband isn't actually doing paleo (though I did ask if he would try this time since he has some skin issues that I think could be food allergies). But, he'll happily eat what I cook, so long as he can have a beer and sandwiches at lunch. He's even even zoodles a couple of times, though he draws the line at spaghetti squash, so he makes his own pasta when I make a meat sauce. So by cleaning out the pantry what I really did was clear out a shelf in a cabinet that I don't go in very often and put all the holiday candy leftovers in there. If I designate food as "his," I usually have little trouble ignoring it. I also packed up all the baking supplies leftover from holiday cookie making in their own box. It's not hard to resist flour and vanilla, but having it out of sight means I don't think about how I like to make cookies.

What's it like in your household?

For next week, I'll make two smaller breakfast casseroles to give myself variety.  I also need muster up the energy/time to cook a couple dinners, so that I'm not cooking every night.  My box from Thrive came last night, so now I have coconut aminos, coconut milk, larger container of coconut oil, almond flour, balsamic vinegar, and some other goodies.  If you ever think of ordering from there or checking them out, let me refer you!  They have really good prices.  It's at least worth a free trial!

For dinner, I'm thinking about making a chicken broccoli stir-fry.  The coconut aminos will be perfect for what I have in mind.  What's everyone else having tonight? 

Sorry to post twice in a row but--sounds like you're a great cook! I've never heard of Thrive, so I will check it out. Have you seen the Whole30 cookup plans on Well Fed? They can be time consuming, but more than following them to the letter, I've used the concept and it's changed the way I cook. For example. cook up a load of ground beef with some simple seasonings (or just salt and pepper). I can re-heat that in compliant marinara sauce and serve it over zoodles or spaghetti squash one night; put it in lettuce wraps with a sauce of coconut aminos and fish sauce with some quick-pickled veggies another night; use it on a taco salad one day for lunch....you get the idea. So that way I'm not focused on cooking an entire meal to have later on in the week, which I find a little overwhelming and also not very flexible. Instead I make the basics and use those to assemble meals. Good luck!

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Sorry to post twice in a row but--sounds like you're a great cook! I've never heard of Thrive, so I will check it out. Have you seen the Whole30 cookup plans on Well Fed? They can be time consuming, but more than following them to the letter, I've used the concept and it's changed the way I cook. So that way I'm not focused on cooking an entire meal to have later on in the week, which I find a little overwhelming and also not very flexible. Instead I make the basics and use those to assemble meals. Good luck!

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

So, I bookmarked recipes (chocolate chili & ketchup) on MJ's page, but never read through like so many others and now I kind of hate myself. I appreciate you though. I LOVE the page you linked. I love her suggestions for meal prepping. I'm an okay cook. I don't love prepping or cleaning the kitchen. Maybe it's the cookup plans, but you sound like a GREAT cook!

What's it like in your household?

At least your husband will eat what you cook for the most part and make the other stuff he wants. I feel for people who are cooking complete separate meals for the rest of their family.  My household includes my boyfriend, daughter, and I.  He is doing more of a paleo diet - no dairy, no grains, and no added sugar.  At work for breakfast and dinner, he isn't eating grass-fed or watching additives.  At home, he eats what I cook.  The baby eats what I cook (if you call that eating), but she's still finishing up cheerios and snacks. She eats worse than a bird and pretty much lives off of Horizon's Organic Vitamin D Milk.  She hates cheese though. I probably won't take dairy away from her.

Archived