Advice needed

hotironskillet

Hi everyone,

Day 1 of my Whole30 is today and in looking ahead at my calendar next week I have an out of office workshop scheduled that includes a lunch. I have absolutely no idea what they might serve for lunch, what options there might be, if it will be compliant, etc. I am inclined to bring my own food but that seems like it might be a bit weird. Any advice from those that have dealt with this sort of thing?

Thanks.

First of all, is there a contact person you can call to ask what might be served for lunch?

Otherwise, obviously I don't know your office environment, but I'd not hesitate to bring my own. You eventually get used to being "weird" and I've realized that more likely than not, after people ask a question or two, other people care much less about what I'm eating than I think they do. :) If you have your own and there ends up being something you can know for sure is compliant, you can save whatever you brought or supplement the provided lunch with it. If it's like the lunches provided at my office events, it might be from chain restaurants (search "whole30 forum panera" for examples of how often food we think would be compliant isn't) or mostly sandwiches and chips.

• Administrators

Can you call ahead to the venue during a non busy time and ask about their practices? Or contact the event organizer and ask to see a menu?

I'm of the mind that I will typically always bring my own food and you can cite food intolerances, elimination diet, allergies (only if you actually have them) if people ask.  It's also possible that you might be able to slip away during lunch (there are always people who duck out of organized lunches to run errands, smoke, call home, do whatever) and go find a nice bench/sitting area to eat your packed lunch if you feel it's odd to do at the table.

Hi everyone,

Day 1 of my Whole30 is today and in looking ahead at my calendar next week I have an out of office workshop scheduled that includes a lunch. I have absolutely no idea what they might serve for lunch, what options there might be, if it will be compliant, etc. I am inclined to bring my own food but that seems like it might be a bit weird. Any advice from those that have dealt with this sort of thing?

Thanks.

I always take my own lunch, but I ask for something compliant in case I can eat it. Quite often though, caterers are very sloppy. When not on W30 I have been served a lot of things containing gluten as "gluten free", so I don't trust them at all now. Easy answer is "oops, I forget there was a lunch today, I packed mine". Sometimes there's fruit and nuts, have a nibble on those if you want to feel you're "joining in" :) but eating together is really the goal at most events/workshops, not what you eat.

I've found I was far more embarrassed about bringing my own, most people didn't even notice :wub: and the only real interest was whether they could have some of mine ;)

Archived