Day 3 and I want to puke!

Um, I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, at least so soon into the program, but I'm only on day 3 and the thought of eating any more meat or veggies makes me feel sick to my stomach.  I have been careful to have a big variety of meats, veg and flavors but I started gagging on the veggies I was eating this morning and can't bear the thought of eating anything right now, even though I'm hungry! Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated because I'm going to stick this out NO MATTER WHAT, I'd just prefer not to have to starve myself cause I can't get the food down! Thanks! 

Some thoughts: 

- Do you like seafood or fish?  Rotate those in as other protein options.

- Make veg based soups.

- Work your way around the plate. Have a bite of protein, a bite of veg, and fat, and keep eating around the plate until you can't eat anymore. If you don't finish your meal, wrap the plate and refrigerate it until you're hungry again.

• Administrators

What have you been eating, dannijean?  Mostly raw or cooked veggies? Which ones?

Have you tried roasting a big tray of baby potatoes, carrots, brocoli, green beans, red onion, cauli? If you roast veggies the texture improves substantially, they are easier to digest and the high heat carmelizes them which makes them taste amazing!  Topped with some cubed avocado or some homemade mayo they are better than candy!  Dice up some chicken breast or break up a hamburger patty and throw that in a sautee pan with some of the veggies and some cooking fat and then top with an egg?

Do know that some nausea, lack of appetite, aversion to food is common in the beginning, depending on what your intake was like prior to Whole30.  Keep eating, lack of appetite leading to lack of eating just leads to further lack of appetite.  

Give us some deets on the last 3 days and maybe we can make some suggestions?

Protein wise, I've eaten grilled chicken, ground beef, roasted pork, eggs and tuna. Veggie wise I've eaten sweet potato, broccoli, carrots, lettuce, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, snap peas, spaghetti squash and string beans. I've eaten them raw, sauted, roasted and stir fried. I've made hot plates, chili, Asian and Italian dishes. I knew lack of variety would be a problem for me eventually, so I have gone out of my way to shake it up, but even as I am typing all this food out, just the thought of it, is making me nauseous. 

• Administrators

Hmmm...is it possible you are coming down with something? 

Lack of eating can lead to hunger-nausea which is only really corrected by eating.  You could try a blended soup (Mel Joulwan Silky Gingered Zucchini soup is a great one) or some chicken salad? Egg salad? Pick something that you normally really love and eat that to get your appetite going again.

Sorry for the lack of link, the forum is so slow right now, you'll have to google. :)

Yes. Totally sick on Day 3! This is my fourth Whole30 and I have felt a bit funky around Day 3 in the past. I was exceptionally off-roadey due to the holidays (you know, like everyone else on the planet I think) so I'm sure all the veggies and healthy fats are shocking my system, if that's a thing. My barometer is if it's just a day and I don't actually throw up, then it's Whole30 black magic. If I actually throw up and feel crummy for more than a day, then it's probably something else.

My trick is to just eat; to somehow get it all down. I find the nausea gets worse the hungrier I get. I pick the most delicious compliant things I can think of eating, even if they're weird. And drink tons of water, bonus if it's bubbly water.

Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Ugh! I'm on day 2 and feeling somewhat (although not as bad) the same. My nausea comes in waves and I have had a constant headache since last night. I've found that Kombucha helps....have you tried that? I agree with missmunchie above about the bubbly water. 

Is it possible you could be pregnant?

LOL! I'm almost 51 and no, trust me, there's no way!  

Hmmm...is it possible you are coming down with something? 

Lack of eating can lead to hunger-nausea which is only really corrected by eating.  You could try a blended soup (Mel Joulwan Silky Gingered Zucchini soup is a great one) or some chicken salad? Egg salad? Pick something that you normally really love and eat that to get your appetite going again.

Sorry for the lack of link, the forum is so slow right now, you'll have to google. :)

I took your advice and had the zucchini soup and amazingly it helped! I was fine for the rest of the day.  I still got a little nauseous a couple times today but nothing like yesterday! Thanks!  And thanks to everyone for their advice, you guys rocked!

• Moderators

LOL! I'm almost 51 and no, trust me, there's no way!  

Okay... um... well... I don't know how to say this without sounding like an enormous weirdo but you look about 25 in that photo... seriously! Imma need your skin care routine!!!

Okay... um... well... I don't know how to say this without sounding like an enormous weirdo but you look about 25 in that photo... seriously! Imma need your skin care routine!!!

LOL!  Actually, in person, most people guess my age between 30 and 36. I guess the lighting for that pic (which is a recent one) was extra awesome that day! :)As far as a skin routine, it's just genetics, my dad was the same way, people always thought he was much younger than he was.  Thanks for the complement though!  :D

• Moderators

LOL!  Actually, in person, most people guess my age between 30 and 36. I guess the lighting for that pic (which is a recent one) was extra awesome that day! :)As far as a skin routine, it's just genetics, my dad was the same way, people always thought he was much younger than he was.  Thanks for the complement though!  :D

Well hurray for good genetics, you're really very pretty! (and I"m positive smart too... I hate to compliment only on looks...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived