I want to learn to surf

HEDGEHOG8

I started today - this is my 2nd whole 30 and to be honest it wasn't too bad. I had sugar cravings in the evening but that was due to swimming - chlorine makes me hungry.

I worked today so my day was pretty file but shattered when I got home and after tea slept till swimming time.

Meals

Meal 1 - bacon, 2 eggs tinned tomatoes and cherry tomatoes

Coffee no milk

Meal 2 - mackerel mush - mackerel, nuts, pear and Apple balsamic vinegar

Meal 3 - pork mince burgers with a load of vegetables - carrots, broccoli, sprouts

Coffee

Movement - Went swimming 30 ish lengths completed slowly and was starving.

Finished off the burger with fruit and coconut milk

Coffee

Changes to make - less fruit less coffee

Mood - good

Day 1 complete :-)

Happy eating everyone

Day 2

Yeah! I really had to fight today to state my case as to why I am doing this. Telling family that i will do it for longer than a day and continue to make the best choices and only put good food into my body.

Today was hard as I wasn't prepared. I was off work so had a lot of time on my hands and errands to run. For example taking my parents to the airport finding a mattress for the camper van and my food seemed all out of whack.

My mum - with best intentions, bought me scones, bread, cheese, mince pies and let me help myself to the chocolates left over from Christmas!!!!! I had to go into the other room as I could have so easily, and in the past would have, eaten everything. All my favourites were there!!! I didn't though and that's the main thing right?

Meals

Meal 1 - bacon, eggs and tomatoes, black coffee

Meal 2 - ( experimental ) tuna, eggs, onions heated in a pan over a sweet potato and cherry tomatoes. I'll be doing that again. Coffee

This is where it gets messy as I went shopping and just left it too late.

Prescuito ( can't spell ) ham, and olives and tomatoes from a supermarket with vegetable crisps - I checked and rechecked the ingredients and no nasties came up. Also too many nuts and pineapple.

I literally feel like the hungry caterpillar and when I got home I drank a glass of water. I don't drink enough I don't think? I made some fish cakes for tomorrow so this WOULD NOT happen again and ate one and I'm still hungry!!!!!

Mood - good but my brain has been all over the place. My concentration has been shocking.

Movement - non-existent

Changes I need to make - better preparation of food so I don't make any mistakes.

Less fruit and nuts and more water.

Happy eating everyone :-)

Day 3

Unexpected work day! So pleased I made the salmon fish cakes yesterday it I would have been stuck. Even though I felt exhausted for no real reason it seems I cooked a big batch of chilli, Turkey for tomorrow's dinner and a curry to heat up in the next few days. Organisation is defibately the key!

Meals

Meal 1 - a very quick salmon fish cakes with eggs and tomato purée

Meal 2 - salmon fish cake and a pear

Meal 3 - chilli, then fruit and coconut milk

Mood - tired ( is tired a mood? )

Movement - just running around at work being active but no discrete exercise

Way to go Hedgehog - sounds like you're facing some challenges in the early days but you stayed strong and didn't eat off-plan.

You're right; you likely DO need more water.  Aim for 1/2 an ounce per pound of body weight (sounds like you're in the UK though; I don't know the measurement if you're going to use stones!).  You also have room for WAY more veggies at each meal.  Remember, the meal template encourages 1-3 CUPS of vegetables.  Start branching out beyond tomatoes.  Your mince burgers with LOADS of carrots, broccoli & sprouts sounds good.  I also don't see where you are adding fat to each meal, other than one time you had olives and another time you had coconut milk in coffee.  Add 1-2 servings of fat at EVERY meal.  This will help with hunger (but yes, swimming makes me really hungry as well).  I would recommend that you consider pre- and post-workout meals as well on the days that you swim.  Beforehand, have lean protein and an optional serving of fat (1 hard-boiled egg covers these two requirements).  Immediately after, have lean protein and a starchy carbohydrate, for example chicken breast and sweet potato.

Your intuition was right about fruits and nuts.  Your body will treat these as sweets and keep you craving sugar more if you continue to eat them.

Keep going - you CAN do this, one meal at a time!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Day 4

Only got round to reading the reply late on to adapt my eating for today but planning on using your suggesting for eating tomorrow- thank you :-)

I'm really tired again today. Probably first week back at work and also workin u expectabley - it's never fun to get woken up with a phone call.

I do need to say, and I'm thinking that this I perhaps impossible already, that my clothes are fitting better? It's been 4 days and I have noticed that my bloated belly is shrinking slightly. I have also started the grumpy phase and have been feeling a bit down in the dumps.

Meals

Meal 1 - proscetto ham and melon

Meal 2 - Turkey cooked in coconut oil and tomatoes ( I do eat a lot of tomatoes, because they are easy to find and. I preparation needed )

Meal 3 - while it was cooking handful of nuts and prunes

Curry - Turkey oiled in coconut oil with sweet potato

Nuts and a pear with some prunes when I came in - defibately beed something prepared for after swimming

Drink - 3 cups of coffee, 2 with coconut milk

3 glasses of water

Movement - swimming did 56 lengths. Almost double what I did on Tuesday :-) in about 35-40 mins

Mood - bit grumpy and tired but not as bad as yesterday

Changes to make - needed to drink about 10x the amount of water am drinking, after exercise I need to eat protein, cut out all dried fruit, nonaligned fruit and nuts.

Eat more vegetables with every meal.

You're welcome, Hedgehog!  (I'm going to call you HH8, a nod to BB8, if you don't mind).

Glad to see that you noted the recommendations so tomorrow's food will look a lot different from today's (but please also give yourself a pat on the back for making compliant choices.  There's always room for improvement and we want your Whole30 experience to be OPTIMAL, if you're going to the trouble of doing one!).

Way to go on the swimming!  Is that a 25m pool, meaning you did 1,400m?  64 lengths would be a mile, if that's the case!  And yes, definitely get something prepared for after swimming.  I roast a squash on Sundays and bake a whole tray of chicken breasts.  Then I have a container with 1/2-1 chicken breast and a chunk of squash ready to go for after each workout that week.

Excited to see your progress (YES absolutely your clothes can be fitting better this quickly.  And the grumpy/down feelings should dissipate within the next week or so - hang in there - GREAT things are coming!).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Day 5!

So I worked again today - that's 4 out of 5 days and made arrangements to work every Wednesday till Easter.

Thanks again for the inspiration and the support.

It really does help that you keep giving me the tips and it's good to know somewhere is there. I ran out of time on Thursday so was unable to do the 64. Next time though :-)

Meal

Meal 1 - bacon eggs and tomatoes - cooked in coconut oil

Coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2 - missed dinner - coffee

I don't actually know how this happened - it wasn't till I walked out of work I realised this

Meal 3 - salmon roasted onions, swede, carrots, parsnip and boiled carrots. ( defibately more vegetables today )

Coffee coconut milk

I had NO NUTS OR FRUIT - go me!!!!

Craving fruit though.

Water doubled from yesterday, has been more but need to keep doubling each day.

Mood - grumpy although more irritable, less tired

Movement- I worked but will have to say nothing

Changes to make

Eat other vegetables rather than tomatoes

Shop and prepare food or next week

Moment everyday

Craving fruit though.

Hey there

Up the fat content in your meals to help quash those cravings, and then if one strikes that won't pass with some kind of distraction technique reach for more fat - a few olives, a spoonful of coconut oil or cream... 

Fat is your friend  ;)

Day 6

Thanks for the info on the fat will try and add more in the form of olives - thought I was doing ok on the fat front ( I have enough on my body :-( ) with the coconut milk but need to add more.

Still going strong - so proud of myself. I had the day off today but still busy. Sorted out the mattress and sleeping arrangements although still feel storage may be an issue. Practiced driving it a bit and still as I remember - smooth easy drive. First time we were in the van together ;-)

Let's get down to the evaluation of the day

Meals

Meal 1 - bacon eggs tomatoes and mushrooms

Coffee coconut milk - had 3 of these today

Meal 2 - stir fry ( loads of vegetables ) an Turkey pieces with a made sauce

Meal 3 - chilli lots of red cabbage and sweet potato

Pineapple, half a banana and an orange

Fluid intake has been better - sparkling water and green tea with jasmine (made like a dilute squash

Movement - non today but will make up for it tomorrow teaching swimming in the pool for 6 hours

Mood - not too bad - feel balanced

Changes for tomorrow - more fat needed in meals, more fluid and no nuts an fruit as snacks

One more day and it will be a week :-)

Happy eating everyone

Day 7 -

Good thing about today is every Sunday when I teach Swimmin for 6 hours I'm usually exhausted, can't keep my eyes open and my body aches, but today I wasn't tired - until now.

So it's officially a week of the Whole 30 plan. It has really helped as my OH has been doing it too. He's been eating what I eat and even with my experimental cooking I haven't poisend him or me- bonus :-) We both feel better!!! He hasn't half as much weight to shift as me but he's being supportive while I'm going through this process which is an amazing commitment. Don't think I could handle it if he was eating 'bad choice' food in front of me.

Meals

Meal 1 - smoked salmon, tomatoes and scrambled eggs

Coffee x3 with coconut milk - too much again?

2 glasses of water ( way not enough )

Meal 2 - left over chilli sweet potato and olives

Meal 3 - pork chops with swede and carrot mash. Olives, Apple, balsamic vinegar onions and mushrooms

Pear, dates and nuts - a handful of each ( is this why I'm so tired )

I cooked extra so a pork chop, onions and mushrooms left for tomorrow. Just in case I get a phone call to work again.

Mood - upbeat

Movement - swimming teaching for 6 hours which requires me to be in the pool the whole time.

Week 2 starts tomorrow.

Happy eating everyone!

Pear, dates and nuts - a handful of each ( is this why I'm so tired )

Yeah, the dates in particular will give you as big a sugar hit as a mars bar so it's possible that this little combo could have caused a sugar spike/crash.

Eat your fruit at the end of your meal, and if you're 'snacky' try a protein & fat combo instead - or just fat.

You're getting there for sure though - you can't beat a bit of smoked salmon & scrambled eggs!! 

FAT really is your friend.  And don't worry, by eating it instead of sweet carbs (like fruit) you're teaching your body how to use it as a fuel source.  And then your body will be able to use stored body fat as a fuel source.  Eating fat doesn't make you fat!  Over-eating carbs is actually what triggers the body to store excess calories as fat!

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you check out a documentary called "That Sugar Film."  Should be available for rental or purchase on Amazon.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Will take note of the fat information of which you speak ;-) very interesting

Day 8

Feeling poorly - head ache, tired, blocked, red nose nose and burny eyes

Meal 1 - bacon egg and tomato

Meal 2 - smoked salmon, olives, boiled egg and cherry tomatoes

Coffee x 2 with coconut milk

Was doing beauty treatments for a friend and forgot to organise food - ate fruit ( hangs head in shame)

Meal 3 - Turkey curry with onions and red cabbage

Not enough to drink

Movement - walk into town

Mood - feel really really tired but in control

Happy eating everyone

Day 9

Almost a third of the way through and it's not that difficult - still some tweaks to make. When I've done it before I haven't done reintroductions properly and this time I want to see what effect other foods that have been eliminated.

I still felt rough today - just off it really, tired but not exhausted and a bit sick

Meal 1 - bacon eggs and tomatoes - this needs to be mixed up a bit I think.

Meal 2 - salad- prosciutto ham, melon, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, boiled egg.

Nuts and raisins - just can't get out this habit at the moment

Meal 3 - salmon and roasted vegetables peppers, sweet potato, parsnips olives

I made double as working tomorrow

Coffee 4 cups with coconut milk

Movement - non - I didn't leave the house really

Mood - confused and felt a bit muddled

Changes to make more water

Happy eating everyone!

Go, go, go HH8!  No need to be ashamed of the compliant choices you've made, but I'm glad you see the opportunity to do even better.  Mix up those vegetables (especially at breakfast).  If you're feeling a bit tired, consider adding an additional starchy carb serving (fist-sized).  And just don't eat the *&*# fruit!  You CAN control what you put in your mouth.  You are a competent, mature adult.  Look at everything else you're successfully avoiding!  Just for a few days to let veggies steal the show, and then you may find that you can add a piece or two of fruit back in as PART of a template meal, and not a snack.

Thank you - day 10 done

Worked today an felt so grouchy when I woke up - feel a bit better now but still feel as if I have cold like symptoms

Meal 1 - omelette and blueberries ( in a rush )

Meal 2 - salmon with tomatoes and sweet potatoes

Was meeting a friend and ran out of time to cook - had raisins, nuts and blueberries as knew chocolate would be in the table - I resisted

IMeal 3 - Turkey mince curry with onions and mashed carrots and swede mixed with eggs and almond flour into a patty - are too late 10:30

Movement - worked ( that doesn't count )

Next few days will be hard - of to Wales tomorrow

for a night out - will try and make the right choices but don't think I can opt out of this one!

Happy eating everyone

Day 11

I travelled down to Cardiff to see a friend. He gets the importance of the whole 30 and the need to do it. It's gonna be tomorrow pm that's the hardest.

Meal 1 - mushrooms, tomatoes bacon and eggs

Coffee and coconut milk

Meal 2 - i missed this due to travelling - should have taken stuff in the car really. I have salmon fish cakes meant for tomorrow so had a couple of them

Meal 3 - much better although have looked at the oil used - rapseed and it's not compliant I don't think. Chicken, broccoli and cauliflower, green beans, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and carrots

More water - yeah.

Mood - good and feel a bit better

Movement - not today

I need to start again ( hangs head in shame )

So I went out with a friend I haven't seen in a while - out in Cardiff

Meal 1 and 2 - salmon fish cakes and vegetables left over from last night

Meal 3 -

Off the wagon wagamamas noodles and steak

Followed by slog ok processo, beer, an vodka and coke / I have to start again.......: I know I do - a social occasion I couldn't get out of

Movement / long walk round Barry

Mood / happy

Happy eating everyone :) x

This must be day 14 - actually day 1 again?!?

So I missed yesterday day 13, as it was a bad day and I fell off the wagon. I was also exhausted. I fell so far off it that I didn't even see the blooming thing, but I do feel that it was better than it could have been. I made some good choices and some ok choices but I felt exhausted. Yes, that's the excuse I'm going with :-(

It was interesting as in my search to find something to keep me awake to drive home and make me feel better after everything I had tasted wrong - the top of my mouth was sore for a split second. A drink I usually enjoy was far far too sweet and it just didn't taste as well as it sometimes does.

The most important thing is that I jumped back on it today.

Meal 1 - omelette with pineapple

Coffee coconut milk

Meal 2 - red cabbage and chicken curry

Meal 3 - roasted salmon ( 20 mins in the oven and then put in a hot frying pan to crisp the skin ) cabbage, peppers and onions

Movement - 6 hours swimming teaching in the water

Mood - good

Day 2

I was very excited today as the new mattresses were coming for the van. The van that will take me to the sea and help me begin my 'learning to surf journey'

Meal 1 - bacon eggs tomatoes and mushrooms

Meal 2 - salmon and vegetables left from yesterday

Handful of nuts and raisins

Meal 3 - meat balls made with spices and then put in passata and oops just realised i forgot the tomato purée

Pineapple banana and coconut milk

Movement - spent too long on the Internet

Day 3

A mixed up day eating wise - tried to pace myself as I'm picking up my parents from the air port at 1:30 a.m. The oh also played badminton so we couldn't eat much before he played - in hindsight I should have just cooked so he could eat on the way back.

Meal 1 - didn't happen as we ran out of food! Yes that's true :-(

Meal 2 - chicken stir fry

Meal 3 - prosciutto ham with melon and tomatoes ( more of a snack really )

Too many raisins and fruit with coconut milk.

Salmon fish cakes x2

I say it was muddled. Organisation is the key!!!!

Day 4

Still haven't recovered from my late night last night followed by an early morning up for work. Thank goodness I organised myself a bit better today. Ready for the next few days - is this a good time to say I have no cooker at this house! Just a gas canister and a hob.

Meal 1 - bacon egg and tomatoes

Meal 2 - tomatoes and 2 salmon fish cakes. 2 small oranges and an apple

Meal 3 - chicken curry with vegetables - tons of them

I cooked at mum and dads house do the next few days. The OH is losing so much weight - gotta feed him to a bit.

Mood - good - a bit grouchy and had a downward spiral of what am I doing with my life but came out the other side.

Day 5 and 6

I stayed within whole 30 but was exhausted again so wasn't able to add to the log of what I ate. Thank goodness I had the mince made up so I didn't have to worry about cooking and the left over chicken curry I had with sweet potatoes. The only meal I cooked from scratch was pork chops and vegetables.

So today - day 6

Meal 1 - I missed this - terrible I know

Meal 2 - salmon fish cakes with salad and an orange. I made a batch for us and my parents. Even though they're not completely following the whole 30 they're dipping into it and am pleased about that.

Meal 3 - stir fry with chicken and cashew nuts. Nuts after also. My oh is supporting me on this journey and when around me he eats whole 30. Unfortunately there was sweet corn in the stir fry he chose so I carefully picked out each one as I came to it - now that's dedication.

I slept for 2 hours at my parents today as I just couldn't keep my eyes open. Can't wait for my energy to kick in.

The other thing I have noticed is my face around my nose is really really dry? This has never ever happened before - strange.

I must drink way more water.

Day 7

Meal 1 - my oh suggested we go out for a fry up breakfast - after considering what o could have and all the questions I would have to ask to make sure that it was all compliment, I decided that I should just cook instead.

1 bacon, 2 eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes

Coffee with coconut milk

Meal 2 - chorizo sausage, tomatoes, Apple and half a banana ( food on the go )

Meal 3 - left over mince made I to a curry with sweet potatoe and onion patties - lovely

Coffee - coconut milk

Handful of nuts

I really would like to cut out nuts and fruit altogether. When I start my reintroduction - along way off I'm gonna try as I will be replacing them with other foods.

Mood - ok, a bit blah non descript tired

Happy eating everyone ;-)

Archived