amandavanvels

hi everyone! i didn't know where to post this, so i'm asking the ladies. i've been doing whole30 for 55 days now and definitely plan on making it a lifestyle change. i've seen sooo many benefits so far (down 13lbs, more energy, better sleep, less skin irritation) but i was hoping it would help with my depression and it hasn't.

i definitely don't want to be taking medication for it, since it's not super serious. but it's bad enough that it keeps me in bed all day long (i work from home, so no reason to leave my bed honestly), i hate leaving the house, i feel so cloudy, and have a general disinterest in life outside of my apartment right now. i moved out to california a year ago with high hopes that i would feel a lot happier but my depression is keeping me from going out and making friends and i'm lonelier than ever.

does anyone have any natural ways of dealing with this? any natural supplements i can take? thanks!

• Administrators

it's bad enough that it keeps me in bed all day long (i work from home, so no reason to leave my bed honestly), i hate leaving the house, i feel so cloudy, and have a general disinterest in life outside of my apartment right now. i moved out to california a year ago with high hopes that i would feel a lot happier but my depression is keeping me from going out and making friends and i'm lonelier than ever.

Amanda? That's pretty serious.  It's serious enough that you probably need to look into getting some help.  Depression isn't something you can just wish away, it's a chemical imbalance in your brain that sometimes is only correctable with medication.  Holistic methods like exercise, whole foods, companionship etc are helpful but until you can gain perspective and get yourself moving, they don't work because you aren't really doing them to the extent you need to.

One of the things that we do know can help with depression and anxiety is making sure that you are getting at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day. More in the case of feeling really down/foggy/sad.

But really, do try and look someone up either to talk to about what's going on or to talk to about what options you have for starting to feel better.

See if you can find the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. HUGE help, explaining all of the imbalances... Also supplement recommendations. And 4 quizzes in the beginning, so you can figure out just what you may be dealing with.

I agree with ladyshanny, (which my phone wanted to change to "lady's hammy" :D)... This doesn't seem serious to you because you are so used to it now. But it IS serious, and you CAN get out of it. You must. :)

Amanda? That's pretty serious.  It's serious enough that you probably need to look into getting some help.  Depression isn't something you can just wish away, it's a chemical imbalance in your brain that sometimes is only correctable with medication.  Holistic methods like exercise, whole foods, companionship etc are helpful but until you can gain perspective and get yourself moving, they don't work because you aren't really doing them to the extent you need to.

One of the things that we do know can help with depression and anxiety is making sure that you are getting at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie each day. More in the case of feeling really down/foggy/sad.

But really, do try and look someone up either to talk to about what's going on or to talk to about what options you have for starting to feel better.

yeah you're right. i guess i just don't see it as "serious" because i'm not suicidal or anything and it's just an inconvenience in my life right now, rather than life threatening. but yeah, i could definitely add more exercise to my life. i basically hardly leave my bed most days which means i'm not active at all. even just a walk everyday could probably help. i am eating plenty of potatoes, though! typically a sweet potato for breakfast and white potato for dinner almost everyday. thanks for your advice though!

i've looked into it and i feel like it could help but everything in LA is so much more expensive than i could even afford right now :-(

There may be some free services around that you don't know about, if your doctor doesn't know of any, try your local church, charities and community groups, they usually have good lists of contacts.

See if you can find the book The Mood Cure by Julia Ross. HUGE help, explaining all of the imbalances... Also supplement recommendations. And 4 quizzes in the beginning, so you can figure out just what you may be dealing with.

I agree with ladyshanny, (which my phone wanted to change to "lady's hammy" :D)... This doesn't seem serious to you because you are so used to it now. But it IS serious, and you CAN get out of it. You must. :)

thanks! i'll totally look into that book, it sounds helpful.

I know the mods here recommend potatoes, maybe even potatoes with every meal, for these types of issues.  But I will say that, if you are already doing this, and you are laying in bed all day...   you know, it could be that your brain would really THRIVE on more fat.  How much fat are you eating?  Give us some examples of days, please.  Fat is SO important.  Lots of carbs when you are completely inactive could be contributing to your "bump on a log-ness".  Brain fog.  

i've looked into it and i feel like it could help but everything in LA is so much more expensive than i could even afford right now :-(

Do you have an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP) through your employer? That could cover some sessions for you.

If not, I encourage you to find a way to pay for help, including paying by credit card, borrowing money, selling things on craigslist, whatever.

• Moderators

yeah you're right. i guess i just don't see it as "serious" because i'm not suicidal or anything and it's just an inconvenience in my life right now, rather than life threatening. but yeah, i could definitely add more exercise to my life. i basically hardly leave my bed most days which means i'm not active at all. even just a walk everyday could probably help. i am eating plenty of potatoes, though! typically a sweet potato for breakfast and white potato for dinner almost everyday. thanks for your advice though!

You don't have to be suicidal for it to be serious but let me be the bearer of bad news here... untreated clinical depression has the potential to take you down a path that you do NOT want to go down... it can get into dark and scary places and while you might be phrasing it to yourself as an 'inconvenience', it's a lot more than that. Of course it's easy for us on the internet to say these things like 'get help, go to the doctor, take it seriously' and much more difficult to take on board and examine how difficult a situation you could actually be in, but some of the ones of us on here imploring you to take it seriously have first hand experience.

Diet and exercise can certainly not hurt but I ended up having to go on meds and to counselling when my diet and exercise routines were as clean and top notch as they could possibly be, bar none, so... first hand experience that while eating sweet potato is helpful, vegetables can't always fix everything unfortunately.

I know the mods here recommend potatoes, maybe even potatoes with every meal, for these types of issues.  But I will say that, if you are already doing this, and you are laying in bed all day...   you know, it could be that your brain would really THRIVE on more fat.  How much fat are you eating?  Give us some examples of days, please.  Fat is SO important.  Lots of carbs when you are completely inactive could be contributing to your "bump on a log-ness".  Brain fog.  

i mean i know my diet is good, i've done so much research on this site and stick to the meal template. i eat half an avocado or big spoonful of mayo with every meal and also cook with a ton of coconut oil.

You don't have to be suicidal for it to be serious but let me be the bearer of bad news here... untreated clinical depression has the potential to take you down a path that you do NOT want to go down... it can get into dark and scary places and while you might be phrasing it to yourself as an 'inconvenience', it's a lot more than that. Of course it's easy for us on the internet to say these things like 'get help, go to the doctor, take it seriously' and much more difficult to take on board and examine how difficult a situation you could actually be in, but some of the ones of us on here imploring you to take it seriously have first hand experience.

Diet and exercise can certainly not hurt but I ended up having to go on meds and to counselling when my diet and exercise routines were as clean and top notch as they could possibly be, bar none, so... first hand experience that while eating sweet potato is helpful, vegetables can't always fix everything unfortunately.

yeah that makes sense...i will try adding in some exercise and see if that helps and if not i'll look into talking to someone. thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Lots of carbs when you are completely inactive could be contributing to your "bump on a log-ness".  Brain fog.

. I'd have to agree here, if there is literally no output besides moving around the house a couple times a day, the carbs could be contributing to your lethargy.

Amanda, do you have medical insurance? If you do there is usually a number for mental health resources on the back of your card. They can assist you.

Also, consider contacting 2-1-1, or checking 211.org. they can help you obtain information on how to access treatment that is within your reach and ability, budget-wise, etc.

If you're not getting out of bed this is serious. I'm not trying to scare you at all, but I encourage you to reach out beyond this group for help and support. Adding a food group to your intake is not what you need. If you're unable to find the resources you need, please let me know and I'm happy to help you find some.

Stay strong!

I've been in therapy for postpartum depression for almost a year now, and it has helped tremendously. Most insurance companies cover cognitive services, so if you have insurance just contact your doctor and they can help with the referral. This is something you can bring up with your primary care physician. My doctor was cool with trying talk therapy first before going the antidepressant route.

Also, many therapists will offer a sliding scale or discount rate depending on your financial situation and what you can afford. Another lower-cost idea, colleges or universities sometimes offer discounted therapy services so psychology students can get clinical experience. If there is a school near you, you might be able to look into that. Finally there are depression and suicide hotlines out there that you can call at any time that can point you to the right direction. I know you said you are not suicidal, but it's worth the call to get in touch with folks that have the resources you can use. Google "depression hotline" and go from there. Some will even let you email for non-urgent situations, which you may be more comfortable with.

Hopefully some of these ideas may help. Thank you for reaching out, that is a huge step, I know! People care, and we're here for you.

Hi Amanda,

First of all you have received a lot of great information up above.  

Secondly I am going to give you a great big cyber hug - because I have totally been where you are.....and I spent a lot of time there - too much time in fact.  I too changed cities (moved from Toronto to Montreal) and the new city had a completely a new language that I didn't speak terribly well.  Plus I worked from home.  I became so isolated, and lonely it was overwhelming.  My SO (whom I moved here to be with) was training for marathons at the time - so I didn't see much of him either.  I spent about 9 years in and out of depression.  I was also not diagnosed as I didn't want to go on meds.  Closer to the end of it - I was becoming more prone to suicidal thoughts - they were more or less of - if I were to commit suicide - how would I do it? I realize now that they were pretty scary and NOT normal thinking..

The whole 30 is the thing that pulled me out - and as my SO noticed - totally transformed my personality.  I went back to my normal, happy, content self.

I am going to suggest some things that have worked for me - some of the things have been mentioned above - but first of all - I am going to suggest you to list a couple days worth of meals here.  It could possibly be that you could be missing something?

I am one person that is not terribly active (I walk and try to keep general overall movement up) but I find I need a considerable amount of fat and starchy vegetables in order to keep my mental clarity and mood up.  I have done bouts of low carb, only to lose parts of my mind and drift back into depression. I need to eat a minimum of 60g of starchy carbs a day (more prior to my period)  I do this to keep my brain happy.  But this is my context - your combination could be different.

You mention that you are spending a lot of time indoors, possibly in your bed.  It could possibly that your vitamin D levels are a bit low as well.  Try to spend some time outside - walking is an incredibly underrated way of exercising.  Even if it's just dragging a laptop to a balcony and working outside for a bit.  Even if its just walking to get a coffee/tea/sparkling water.  Get out, go out - push yourself to get out of your comfort zone a bit.  

Pick activities that interest you - when I moved here - I signed up for kick boxing.  I learned how to ballroom dance - something that I had always wanted to do. It got me out and I got to be friendly with a few members - unfortunately it was quite spendy - so I did not continue - but it was a great boost for my self esteem - as I challenged myself to do something - and I did it.  There are many couponing sites nowadays - so maybe take a look on one of these sites and pick an activity that interests you and that's within budget - It can be a pottery class, or a paddle boarding class - something that gets you out and mingling and socializing with people. 

Take care of yourself - you can and will get through this - 

I love what Carlaccini has to say and I second it! 

Especially the cyber hug! My mom has struggled for years with this also so I can somewhat relate. 

Vitamin B and D have helped my mom out significantly, it's natural and inexpensive so it may be worth a shot too. :) 

• Moderators

i mean i know my diet is good, i've done so much research on this site and stick to the meal template. i eat half an avocado or big spoonful of mayo with every meal and also cook with a ton of coconut oil.

If you've been on the Whole30 for 55 and counting days and you're following all of the recommendations for people who are feeling 'down' or 'blue' and it's not showing any improvements then that's the indication that you should look at taking some of the great advice here about the hotlines and other free services that are probably in your area.

It's difficult when you hear others saying that food cured them or changed their outlook but I think you know now that food has done what it can for you and while eating healthy is always going to make you feel better than junk food will, it's not always the answer.

hi everyone! i didn't know where to post this, so i'm asking the ladies. i've been doing whole30 for 55 days now and definitely plan on making it a lifestyle change. i've seen sooo many benefits so far (down 13lbs, more energy, better sleep, less skin irritation) but i was hoping it would help with my depression and it hasn't.

i definitely don't want to be taking medication for it, since it's not super serious. but it's bad enough that it keeps me in bed all day long (i work from home, so no reason to leave my bed honestly), i hate leaving the house, i feel so cloudy, and have a general disinterest in life outside of my apartment right now. i moved out to california a year ago with high hopes that i would feel a lot happier but my depression is keeping me from going out and making friends and i'm lonelier than ever.

does anyone have any natural ways of dealing with this? any natural supplements i can take? thanks!

Keeps you in bed all day?  That is serious depression.  I have lived with depression since adolescence.  On and off of medications.  Off for the past 12 years with the use of high dose Omega 3 fatty acids.  I feel better off of meds than I felt on them.

Ditching the sugar helps me.  Getting out of bed, getting dressed, doing work at a cafe or park to just be out with people.  If you have a dog... walk it!  Enjoy that sunshine; it will make you feel better.  Force yourself to take a class:  yoga?  painting?  cooking?  

Don't wait for the depression to lift before you move on with your life in CA.  

In addition to the Omega 3s (fish oil is what I used), I take Vitamin D.  Healthy fats.  You can try Rhodiola or St. Johns Wort, too.

Keep pushing!  You might never feel the depression is gone, but you sure can get to the point where you are NOT defined by it.   :wub:

I have been a licensed mental health provider for over 20 years and have a Ph.D in counseling. I cannot ethically give any professional help but I want to encourage you to look into tele-mental health if expense is the main barrier to obtaining talk therapy. It is usually less expensive and can also include Skype/FaceTime or computer chat. 

What I have seen in my clients as well as myself when I experienced depression in the past is that often the very suggestions that will aid in alleviating depression are too difficult once the depression has reached a certain point. For example, telling you to get more exercise is an excellent suggestion; however, if you can't get out of bed right now exercise may not even be feasible and might even lead to guilt which exacerbates depression. 

All the best to you and please remember that depression is a medical condition. It is not a moral or character flaw any more than diabetes. 

Kimberly

Hi Amanda,

First of all you have received a lot of great information up above.  

Secondly I am going to give you a great big cyber hug - because I have totally been where you are.....and I spent a lot of time there - too much time in fact.  I too changed cities (moved from Toronto to Montreal) and the new city had a completely a new language that I didn't speak terribly well.  Plus I worked from home.  I became so isolated, and lonely it was overwhelming.  My SO (whom I moved here to be with) was training for marathons at the time - so I didn't see much of him either.  I spent about 9 years in and out of depression.  I was also not diagnosed as I didn't want to go on meds.  Closer to the end of it - I was becoming more prone to suicidal thoughts - they were more or less of - if I were to commit suicide - how would I do it? I realize now that they were pretty scary and NOT normal thinking..

The whole 30 is the thing that pulled me out - and as my SO noticed - totally transformed my personality.  I went back to my normal, happy, content self.

I am going to suggest some things that have worked for me - some of the things have been mentioned above - but first of all - I am going to suggest you to list a couple days worth of meals here.  It could possibly be that you could be missing something?

I am one person that is not terribly active (I walk and try to keep general overall movement up) but I find I need a considerable amount of fat and starchy vegetables in order to keep my mental clarity and mood up.  I have done bouts of low carb, only to lose parts of my mind and drift back into depression. I need to eat a minimum of 60g of starchy carbs a day (more prior to my period)  I do this to keep my brain happy.  But this is my context - your combination could be different.

You mention that you are spending a lot of time indoors, possibly in your bed.  It could possibly that your vitamin D levels are a bit low as well.  Try to spend some time outside - walking is an incredibly underrated way of exercising.  Even if it's just dragging a laptop to a balcony and working outside for a bit.  Even if its just walking to get a coffee/tea/sparkling water.  Get out, go out - push yourself to get out of your comfort zone a bit.  

Pick activities that interest you - when I moved here - I signed up for kick boxing.  I learned how to ballroom dance - something that I had always wanted to do. It got me out and I got to be friendly with a few members - unfortunately it was quite spendy - so I did not continue - but it was a great boost for my self esteem - as I challenged myself to do something - and I did it.  There are many couponing sites nowadays - so maybe take a look on one of these sites and pick an activity that interests you and that's within budget - It can be a pottery class, or a paddle boarding class - something that gets you out and mingling and socializing with people. 

Take care of yourself - you can and will get through this - 

this is super helpful!! thanks so much! glad to know someone has felt the same way. the past month i have had zero motivation for even wanting to get better but now i'm finally realizing that i need to get out of my house and do something. i'm going to start going on more walks and going to more church activities to try to make some friends. as for a typical day, this is usually what i've been eating:

breakfast: sweet potato cubes fried in coconut oil (typically 3/4 cup of sweet potatoes), 3 eggs, half an avocado

lunch: salmon, a huge plate full of green veggies (brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc) fried in olive oil or coconut oil

dinner: beef roast, boiled baby carrots, about 4 mini smashed white potatoes (fried in olive oil) with a big spoonful of homemade mayo

those are my 3 most commonly eaten meals. i always try to eat starchy veggies in the morning and night, i always try to make sure i'm getting enough fat...even if i am frying veggies in the fat, i'll use a lot and make sure a bunch gets on the plate to dip the meat and veggies in. if anyone sees anything wrong with this, please let me know!!

I have been a licensed mental health provider for over 20 years and have a Ph.D in counseling. I cannot ethically give any professional help but I want to encourage you to look into tele-mental health if expense is the main barrier to obtaining talk therapy. It is usually less expensive and can also include Skype/FaceTime or computer chat. 

What I have seen in my clients as well as myself when I experienced depression in the past is that often the very suggestions that will aid in alleviating depression are too difficult once the depression has reached a certain point. For example, telling you to get more exercise is an excellent suggestion; however, if you can't get out of bed right now exercise may not even be feasible and might even lead to guilt which exacerbates depression. 

All the best to you and please remember that depression is a medical condition. It is not a moral or character flaw any more than diabetes. 

Kimberly

thank you! that helps when you say that sometimes hearing things like "exercise more!" sounds easy but it's not. i do feel guilty about the fact that i just can't find the motivation to go and do it even if i know it'll help. thank you for making me feel ok while dealing with this.

• Moderators

Your meals look great, there's not much I would think to change... maybe some green veggies at the first meal but that's starting to get nit-picky!

I hope that you start to feel better and walking and church help but if you find they don't, please seek help... Like the poster above said, depression can get to a point where going for a walk seems laughable since you can't get out of bed but the guilt associated with the fact that you 'should' just be able to 'make' yourself do it has an exacerbating effect on depression!

Archived