Whole30 #2, it's happening!

J9er

Well I am back for another round. I wasn't planning on a strict whole30 but it has worked out that way. I have been eating whole30 style off and on since I completed my first one in August.

My first whole30 was very successful, I learned so much about food and myself, and about my tolerances and intolerances.

I was telling a friend about it and bought her the book for Christmas. She was hoping I'd do one with her a after Christmas so I decided to hop on the train. After Christmas usually isn't my gig. I don't like the feeling of eating like a maniac and then using the new year to start fresh. I've never been one for the resolution. But anyways it's happening, and it's a good thing.

It's amazing to me how the decision to do it was pretty easy. There was no cleaning out my cupboards or doing a big grocery shop the day before. I have everything I need and I just need to start watching for added sugar and suspect oils again.

Now this isn't all to say that I didn't go off the rails at Christmas. Ugh. I ate a ton of chocolate. Like way too much! At home my meals were pretty good - but we ate out a fair bit and I seem to have little will power when it comes to ordering from a menu.

My last whole 30 I didn't eat out at all, but this time I wouldn't mind trying to a few times just to prove to myself I have the ability to order something healthy from the menu and try to continue that after this one is complete.

I'm not sure I will log my food the whole way through here. I eat a lot of the same things over and over, it gets pretty redundant but I'll start today and go from there. What am I looking to get from this whole30? I'm not sure. I loved how I felt last time, clear headed and energized. I had a lot of food issues I worked through and I have a feeling I will continue some of that work this time. One thing I know I didn't continue with well, was drinking now 3l of water a day. I drink a fair amount but I haven't kept track and that is a goal for me this time. Get back on track with drinking enough water.

Anyways, this is day 2 today, hoping for a smooth transition.

My food yesterday was:

M1 grass fed beef patty with sautéed broccoli and green beans in coconut oil. Coffee with coconut milk.

M2 left over rib eye steak with broccoli and green beans in coconut oil a little bit of potato

M3 chicken wing and a chicken thighs with sautéed Brussel sprouts with Frank's and coconut oil drizzled over top.

Drank water with lemon and fizzy water with lemon.

Hi J9er. I feel similarly, that I didn't need a big windup for the W30 this time because the ways of cooking and preparing food really stuck with me. I did need a little pantry clean-out to deal with the aftermath of the holidays (and I set it all aside on another shelf for my husband, who isn't going with me down this path).

Yesterday's food sounds good! I'm inspired by how many green veggies you got it. Good luck!

Hi J9er. I feel similarly, that I didn't need a big windup for the W30 this time because the ways of cooking and preparing food really stuck with me. I did need a little pantry clean-out to deal with the aftermath of the holidays (and I set it all aside on another shelf for my husband, who isn't going with me down this path).

Yesterday's food sounds good! I'm inspired by how many green veggies you got it. Good luck!

Haha yes I'm a bit of a green veggie freak! I'm lucky my stomach isn't bothered by the cruciferous vegetables because I eat a ton Of them!

Couple days in now and still feeling pretty well. Still fighting to drink enough water. I don't know why it's been so hard for me lately. I like water, its all I drink normally....just aiming to do better each day I guess.

Funny, I started this whole30 to support a friend and I don't think she has started. We've been playing phone tag a bit but she mentioned something about a food tour coming up that she can't give up. I don't mind at all but its just kind of funny and goes to show that the only person I can ultimately be accountable to is myself. I could easily give up or postpone now, but why? I keep thinking..."it's only 30 days" why wait?

I was trying to think about what I want to get from this whole 30.

Last time I really stayed away from restaurants and dinner invitations from friends. This is an area I want to work on because it seems that the moment I look at a menu or go out for dinner, I lose all sense of what's good for me....I am a pretty good cook and don't eat out a lot. So I guess when I order off a menu I want it to be something I don't usually make at home, or the tastier more unhealthy version of what I make at home. I think I need tk change that mindset....I can enjoy something healthy at a restaurant because I DIDNt cook it, and enjoy a break from the kitchen. Or I can enjoy going out with friends and just visiting with them rather than having to eat a meal. Just a little something to work on.

I'm also In a bit of a food rut...a good one...I eat a lot of the same things out of convenience and because they are tried and true recipes, but I am getting better a bit tired of the same old. I did some recipe browsing yesterday and am excited to try a few new things and repeat a few things I haven't made in a while. -- craving short ribs! Yum.

Food yesterday was

M1 chicken thigh large, sautéed green beans and broccoli with Frank's and coconut oil

M2 hamburger patty, left over Brussel sprouts, small bit of sweet potato, with some olives and a drizzle of homemade Caesar dressing

M3 chocolate chili, roasted cauliflower and Broc. Veggies were dipped in some mayo and had a handful of toasted coconut in the side.

I was out of pre and post work it type food so stocked up today as I'm getting back on track with my workout schedule.

A non food related goal is to start to make myself get my 10000 steps per day. I work out everyday but I lift weights a lot and don't do cardio every day so my steps suffer. So Fitbit is charged up and I'm aiming for my 10000 which means I HAVE to get outside for some fresh air.

Have a couple of tiring days. Feeling like I may have a couple of hangover symptoms but I could just be fatigue too, and the fact that I have PMS and just have some stressful stuff going on at home. I've been noticing again my desire for red wine and or some candy or something sweet during these periods and am glad for whole30 right now. Have had a few intense cravings, but they have passed quite quickly.

Had some intense food dreams last night. Like literally thought I could taste caramels and cake. Woke up thinking i totally blew it and was dreading starting again. Thank goodness it wasn't real. I had one food dream during the last whole30 and it wasn't until much further on.

Also have a little bit of heart burn tonight....I haven't had heartburn in ages so I'm not sure what that's all about. Again, could be fatigue and feeling run down.

Anyways, not much to post about tonight but will hopefully get a good rest and feel better tomorrow. I haven't been getting my 10k steps despite going for walks either....ugh...and il still working on upping my water....try try try.

Still doing well. Almost done the first week. I've continued to have a few cravings, but haven't wanted to kill all things so far!

I have felt like I have had to dig in and use some will power the last couple of days. Weekends are hard for me because we often eat out because I'm tired of cooking all week. I did eat out Alford lunch at Panera today with a friend. I got a plain salad and pulled my handy baggy of chicken and salad dressing out of my purse. Not too bad in a pinch. Im not much of a salad eater usually because I detest making salad and it doesn't fill me up but it was good for a change and even though it was just Panera.

Still not drinking enough water :( still not getting my steps in. I will keep trying.

I have been thinking about why I'm doing this whole30...I did start to support a friend, but I know it's good for me too. After my first one I put a lot of the tools I learned to good use, I feel like I improved my eating habits a lot, but the snacks and desserts and treats kept finding their way back in. I have this fantasy that this time some more good habits will stick. I'm not looking for perfection, but I do recognize that certain foods make me feel lousy and I hope to be able to continue to obstain from them this time.

I think you also started on 1/4, right? I'm feeling pretty run down the past couple of days, too. I haven't had a kill all the things phase either (I wonder if this is because I've done W30 before? who knows), but the tiredness is definitely there. I woke up super achey today (in fact, I woke up around 5 this morning from being achey, which is such a yucky feeling), and it didn't even occur to me that it could be W30-related until I read your posts. (A "duh!" moment!)

I have been thinking about why I'm doing this whole30...I did start to support a friend, but I know it's good for me too. After my first one I put a lot of the tools I learned to good use, I feel like I improved my eating habits a lot, but the snacks and desserts and treats kept finding their way back in. I have this fantasy that this time some more good habits will stick. I'm not looking for perfection, but I do recognize that certain foods make me feel lousy and I hope to be able to continue to obstain from them this time. 

This paragraph (except for the friend part) resonates with me SO much. I too used a lot of what I gained from my first W30 in my post-W30 life, using the meal template at most meals--it was the extra stuff creeping in that made me feel less than my best self. In some ways, I'm really doing the W30 this time around so I can do a better re-introduction, and understand which stuff is really bad for me. I know sugar is not good; I think gluten makes me feel less than 100%; I think dairy is pretty much ok, but not in huge quantities (and not as a meal replacement!). But I want to understand these effects more. 

Thanks for the thoughtfulness! I'll be thinking of this throughout the day. Also, I wanted to say that not 100% meeting your water and walking goals doesn't mean you're not making progress! Keep going! :)

achey, which is such a yucky feeling), and it didn't even occur to me that it could be W30-related until I read your posts. (A "duh!" moment!)

This paragraph (except for the friend part) resonates with me SO much. I too used a lot of what I gained from my first W30 in my post-W30 life, using the meal template at most meals--it was the extra stuff creeping in that made me feel less than my best self. In some ways, I'm really doing the W30 this time around so I can do a better re-introduction, and understand which stuff is really bad for me. I know sugar is not good; I think gluten makes me feel less than 100%; I think dairy is pretty much ok, but not in huge quantities (and not as a meal replacement!). But I want to understand these effects more.

Thanks for the thoughtfulness! I'll be thinking of this throughout the day. Also, I wanted to say that not 100% meeting your water and walking goals doesn't mean you're not making progress! Keep going! :)

Thanks!! I am trying! I am usually the type of person that when I want to do something, and put my mind to it I can right away. So as I type every day that I'm still not reaching the seemingly small goals I set for myself, I get frustrated. But thank you. I need to look at the things I'm doing right too!

I think you will find a good reintro so helpful. I thought I had a garlic allergy that caused terrible stomach aches. Well I'm the gluten reintro day I realized that for the past year it had been gluten! I did the reintro as laid out in the book where I had the food with all three meals for one day and then returned to whole30 eating for 2 days. It really worked well for me. This time I think I will try a slow roll reintro, just to see the difference, but honestly I haven't seen a ton of success with slow rolls in the forum because I think it's easy to end up eating several different foods on close succession if you aren't careful -- just my opinion though.

Well, I'll see what this week brings. Had some good successes over the weekend.

My husband has been working around the clock and I've been missing him terribly and have been super worried about him because when he does come home he has a long commute and it's so dangerous to be driving when tired! So the week was kind of stressful that way and I noticed any time I had a craving, it seemed to be in moments of stress. I am an emotional eater, and I was thankful for whole30 tris week that for sure! There was a little bit of wine left in a bottle I had stuck in the fridge that I decided to dump out and the smell was amazing!!! I'm so glad I couldn't even entertain the thought of opening a bottle.

On Friday I went to the movies by myself. I was at the mall running and errand and saw the movie was about to start so I just went in. The popcorn smell nearly knocked me flat lol. And it was one of those dinner theaters, and the people next to me were eating pizza! I again was SO glad for whole30 because the food probably wasn't very good, it's expensive, and it wouldn't have benefitted me in any way! And I totally enjoyed myself and ate a healthful dinner when I got home.

My whole adult life I have aleays been focused on my weight and the size of clothes I wear. The last whole30 helped me move away from the scale and forget about the number, but this time I feel like I'm also appreciating how good I am going to feel rather than if I can fit into a size smaller, etc. I'm feeling like I need to trust this process and trust my body to do what it needs to do. I remember the saying (and I think it was in a tv show too) "love yourself skinny". It has been resonating with me....and I don't even care about the "skinny" part. How about "love yourself HEALTHY"?

Although I have had a lot of crazy symptoms or any real struggle with my eating in general, I have had fleeting thoughts here and there abut giving up. Not in a 'go out and eat mc Donald's kind of way' or even eating anything really off plan. But I really wanted a good coffee yesterday afternoon. Briefly considered making a coconut date concoction, or I read someone's post about accidentally making coconut butter in their blender, and found myself wishing I had a vitamix so I could do that too....lol, we all know how that would turn out. It feels good to be recognizing cravings, and it really took no effort to ignore them, but those brief moments are painful!

This time through I am realizing that I do have will power, and I do have the ability to make good choices. How is it that I have plenty of items both compliant and non compliant in my cupboards I could off road with, but because I'm simply on whole 30, I don't do it? I packed my husband's lunch last night and out a sweet treat of this amazing chocolate we both love in it. Yes, there was a tiny desire for a piece....but I didn't even smell it or look at it too long....and it's not far out of reach! I need to remember that just because I'm off whole30 I don't have to eat things just because I love them and they are in the cupboard. I can buy the chocolate anytime I'm at the store and I feel it's worth it.....it's not going extinct!

I booked a vacation to go to the east coast for 3 weeks. My last holiday I left after finishing whole30 reintros and went completely off the rails as soon as the plane landed. This time I leave before whole 30 even ends.

I'm going to San Fransisco for 6 days to visit my friend who is also doing whole30, and I'm so happy for that. We have a week of hiking and biking planned, and it's not focused on food (which is a first for me on this trip), however we will spend some time in the city, so I'm researching restaurant options, but I'm not worried being that it is SF. I head north to Canada for 2 weeks after that, and finish my last day of whole30 there. I have ordered some whole30 snacks for my travel days, and will do some thinking about what reintros will look like whole I'm there.

Anyways, it's a beautiful day, hoping to get outside and get some steps in!

J9er, sounds like you have had some serious victories over the last couple of days. Plus "love yourself healthy" is a fantastic slogan. Your thread is inspiring. Have a good week!

Thank you for reading :) hope everything is going well for you too!

Hi J9er, I really appreciate your posts. I'm on my 2nd whole 30, as well, and your reflections feel like they could be my own!

On one hand, starting this whole 30 was much easier than the first;I was less frantic about being prepared, and it felt like getting back on a bike. On the other hand, I'm finding it harder than the first. During my first round, I was downright stubborn about following the rules and counting down the days. Now, my more relaxed approach almost seems risky.  I wonder if this is when I just have to decide to make this a significant, long-term lifestyle change, rather than a 30-day challenge that my competitive side can just push through?

Anyway, keep with it, and I'll be right there with you! What's your daily steps goal? I got a fit bit for Christmas, so I'm also trying to increase my steps each day (without that much success :-/ )

Good luck!

Nora

Hi J9er, I really appreciate your posts. I'm on my 2nd whole 30, as well, and your reflections feel like they could be my own!

On one hand, starting this whole 30 was much easier than the first;I was less frantic about being prepared, and it felt like getting back on a bike. On the other hand, I'm finding it harder than the first. During my first round, I was downright stubborn about following the rules and counting down the days. Now, my more relaxed approach almost seems risky. I wonder if this is when I just have to decide to make this a significant, long-term lifestyle change, rather than a 30-day challenge that my competitive side can just push through?

Anyway, keep with it, and I'll be right there with you! What's your daily steps goal? I got a fit bit for Christmas, so I'm also trying to increase my steps each day (without that much success :-/ )

Good luck!

Nora

Yes! I feel the same way! The thing is, I know this is what is good for me. I know it. It's the hardest a part, coming up with our own plan -- I think I have accepted this needs to be a lifestyle...but I'm still not sure what it will look like exactly. I think it's ok....and I think you will figure it out too....it just might take more whole30s and more practice in general. I keep thinking that it took me a lifetime of eating the way I did to get to a point where I needed a change,m. The change can't happen over night, habits are difficult to break, and I think we need to give ourselves a beak and recognize we are doing something for the good....back to the whole, love yourself healthy thing. If that makes sense. Good luck to you too!

Have had a fine couple of days. Eating well, eating to template, doing a little bit of tweeting with fat and protein portions but nothing too drastic. Seems I walk a fine line between being hungry between meals or not having much of an appetite after 5 hours. I tried eating to the lower end of the template for protein and upping my fat a little bit because if anything I think I usually skimp on fat, so we'll see how that goes.

I am amazed again about how my sugar cravings go away....early on I though it would be something I would have to grit my teeth through, but it is seriously at bay now. Same thing happened in my first round. If I had cinnamon buns in the oven I'm sure I would drool, but we have sweets and treats in the cupboard and I don't care. These are the times I need to remember. That I CAN live with out sugar. I don't need it, and a lot of the time, it isn't worth it. It isn't worth it because it just leads to my eventual demise.

Work outs seem to be going well, I have been lifting almost every day, not a lot of cardio right now, but hoping to add in some more, maybe next week. While my energy isn't terrible, I just don't feel like pushing too hard right now. Still haven't been meeting my step goal! The reason I made the goal was although I work out everyday, I still don't get 10,000. I was going if I set the goal, it would push me to get outside for fresh air and a walk. I think I need to make it a priority every day and just get into the habit - like anything, might take a while to stick.

Have been doing a bit better with my water intake, making my 1/2 oz per pound the last couple of days plus some, so doing better with that goal!

Things are still going well....I'm over halfway through now, I had to count up the days today because i honestly had no idea how far i had come.

The last couple of days I have been feeling so free from the effects of sugar, gluten etc. I'm feeling pretty clear headed and my energy levels seems to have stabilized. I thought the fog had lifted way back in my first week, but honestly I think maybe that was just the worst of it and things have continued to clear since then.

These are the times I need to keep referring back to my log for. When I'm tempted to off road, or continue to off road for longer then I'd planned....refer back to this time in my log. When my brain is finally clear, 16 days into my whole30. 16 days of detoxing!!! That is a long time and really so unnecessary.

Things got pretty bad in the weeks leading up to this whole30. I had done fairly well until the beginning of December...December hit and things got crazy. At one point I stopped for Chinese food and ate it in my car, the whole thing, and hid the evidence from my husband. It wasn't even good, it was terrible. But things were bad. I cleaned up my act before Christmas, but then I opened my stocking on Christmas Day and it was FULL of Lindor truffles. All bets were off, we ate them all between Christmas and New Years.....I don't want to do those things again!!!! I'm begging myself to remember!!!!! No more!!!!! Just think of the damage to the cells in my body from sugar....

I also want to be a good example to my family while I'm home visiting. My sister is in a perpetual starve yourself and over exercise diet. She lives on 1200 calories per day probably -- counts weight watchers points -- does a TON of cardio -- hormones are completely out of wack and has severe poly cystic ovaries.

My mom eats pescetarian. Tons of salad, little to no carb, and a cup of almonds a day at least...she's the unhealthiest healthy person I know. Thyroid is a mess....adrenals are very stressed, cortisol is up. whole30 could help her so much, when I talk about it she is turned off of it because she can't have dairy and has to eat 3 meals a day...step mom is T2 diabetic, on meds, hypertension, overweight, etc....is refusing to do a whole30 because she doesn't want to stop drinking. Ugh. Dad, also drinks like a fish, has terrible arthritis flares....hmmmm. his bloodwork is probably better than mine so he chalks his arthritis up to his age and years of pounding his body and accepts the pain and suffering.

SO, while I know I can't fix my family.....they are all interested in their health, they all try numerous health fads, want to feel well, etc. I am going make sure they all have a copy of ISWF and just lead by example. And a good reason for me to stick to whole30 while on vacation. Win win for all of us.

So after I posted this yesterday I spoke with my friend who I will be visiting in SF next week. She stopped her whole30 and told me she doesn't want to go back on because she has too many social engagements to work around. Well....that's fine, but I am NOT stopping. I'm not. I will be 23 days in by the time I get there, I am not quitting. I need to write this out, because when I post, it seems to keep me on track. There will be plenty of healthy food for me to eat, I just need to be insistent and proactive, so that we bring enough food with us when we are out and about. There will be 2 parties we will be going to, and that is fine too -- I also think I need to be ok with not eating exactly to template the entire time. I can only do my best, and if we're on the go, I want to be ok with not getting enough veggies, or eating an epic bar for protein. It's a vacation too, different from being at home.

i have been thinking a lot about this whole30, what I want from it, and what my plan will be post.

I think my relationship with food is a lot better. Not completely healed, but definitely on the mend. Even when I was eating poorly between whole30s, I was noticing I wasn't getting the same gratification from the foods that I used to, I wasn't turning to snacks to fill a void, it was more to fill my belly because my signals were screwed up from eating so much sugar! I continued to be broken up with the scale. Haven't stepped on since my first whole 30, really don't care to.

So why did I keep eating the foods? Ugh. I think it started with convenience. Eating out always throws me for a loop. I can eat perfectly at home, but if I start eating out a lot, that's when I get out of control. Making choices that are completely ridiculous....I don't crave bread, or cheese, or soy sauce at home, so why do I continue to eat it when I'm out?

My husband has a deal with himself that he would remain gluten free. Except beer. He has a beer here and there and isn't bothered by it. And he has kept that deal up. I think he's had gluten pizza once since July, and felt terrible after. He doesn't go hog wild on gluten free fare either, he has GF pasta if we eat out at a restaurant occasionally. That his compromise. He also eats a bit of dairy, he likes full fat yogurt and takes that in his lunch and occasionally has a taste of good cheese. Other than that he has pretty much maintained this way of eating. I don't think he eats enough, but that's another issue.

I, on the other hand, had difficulty with self control at restaurants.....I wanted pasta if we went out because I would never make it at home and if they offer house made pasta, of course I'll pick it over GF....mistake 1. Then, I'll eat way too much because I don't want to bring the leftovers home, mistake 2. Then, I start loosening the reigns after said restaurant trip, because gluten just makes me screwed up....I feel hungry, snacky, and out of control after one helping.....SO, where am I going with all of this? I don't know. Can I say I will never have gluten again? I want to think that. I don't want it. But I just don't know.

I also think I need to continue on whole30 eating after it's over.....I was thinking more about the health issues I've had over the past couple of years....

-- alopecia areata -- two large patches of hair fell out a year and a half ago, luckily it grew back but it was horrible, plus had a lot of thinning of my hair....finally seems to be growing back

-- horrible stomach aches, almost unbearable (now think it was gluten, but not sure)

-- return of eczema Dishydrosis

-- sudden development of 3 cavities in my mouth when I have never had one single one, ever and take really good care of my teeth.

I'm not sure ever know why these things happened to me, but it's good for me to remember that slipping back into old habits will do nothing to help me. If something I was eating caused these things to happen, why would I want to risk that again? I will say in still not 100%. My energy varies gretly, but my mood is improved. SO again, why not continue on as best I can and see if there aren't more changes to come, and continue to solidify my eating habits and really improve on my eating out "skills".

So my order of the whole30 stuff from barefoot provisions came yesterday. Was kind of exciting. I was a bit nervous at first because when I saw it all I immediately wanted to try it. I didn't try it right away, but when my husband said he'd be late for supper I made a mini meal and opened the bag of kale chips. I had a tiny handful....yuck. Lol. I was kind of relieved. I mean, they weren't terrible. I could eat them if I was stuck in the freeway, or while I'm traveling and stuck in an airplane...which is why I bought them....but yuck! i havent had a single nut or nut butter during this whole30. And honestly, I realized I don't even really like nuts (except macadamias, and I'm partially too cheap to buy them, and also I REALLY like them), or nut butters and I don't miss them one bit. I actually have full jars in the fridge....and in the package I bought, came a couple bags of nuts....I will eat some if I need to eat while traveling but I don't even feel worried that they are just sitting there....it feels so strange to me. Normally if something salty is there, I'm all over it....but I feel like the eating to fuel thing is really hitting home again for me. I put the snacks in our pantry and saw some Kettle Chips on the shelf, I thought, "meh".....this coming from a kettle chip addict.....

I have felt a little off the past couple of days. Not sure why. I've been eating well, and to template.....feel like I have my meals dialed....eating a lot because I'm pushing myself with my lifting....

Have had a bit of an upset tummy at night when I go to bed, just feels "off". Not super gassy, or painful. It's hard to describe. Like I ate something too rich and it's struggling a bit?

Sleep has been a bit off and on. My husband is working really strange hours and coming and going during the night, so I've been waking up during the night and then again really early when he leaves again in the morning....like 5 am. I was able to go back to sleep today and slept until 745 so that was good....but maybe that just has something to do with me feeling so off.

Anyway, still plugging along here, I took it easy yesterday and I plan to today. Going to get a few groceries and bring some wood in and that about it....its not clear about how much snow we might get this weekend, but I don't really want to go out if I don't have to.

Have still been doing well. Nothing really new at all. Stuck inside a little bit this weekend, no issues with snacking or anything. Working out regularly and feeling good.

Thinking lots about my trip....I leave tomorrow.. I have prepared well for it and have done everything in my power to stay compliant for the travel. I REALLY want to see this through, like really. But I realize I can only do my best, and I am going to be ok with it, if it ends a bit early -- although I will do everything in my power for it not to -- I think I need to acknowledge that it could end early and I don't want to feel like a failure -- I want to move forward if it happens and just have an enjoyable trip and stay as compliant and to template as I can. I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist, and I just don't want my trip to feel ruined if something slips in.

Have also upped my fat a lot over the last week. I feel so much better. I always at to the lower end of the template for fat and I was struggling with feeling a little snacky in between meals. Like borderline hungry. And was only making it about 4 hours max between meals. I no longer feel that way. At all. This led me to think about fat in general. I have always craved it. I used to eat butter when I was little, I have always eaten the fat on my steak, liked fatty foods in general, even would sip heavy cream at times if it was in the fridge.

I think it's so sad, our demonizing of fat, and the glorifying of the low fat diet, which meant high sugar, high carb, high processed food. I think back to the way my family are growing up. Thinking back to before adult hood, when I tried every fad diet there was.... We ate fairly "healthy"for the average family -- my parents limited sweets and junk. Grew up on whole grains, low fat, all home made meals, ate out only occasionally. But I am now realizing how wrong it actually was! How potentially screwed up from it I am! I was a carb junky and although I ate protein and veggies, the ratios were WAY off. I skipped meals, snacked on crackers, popcorn, and other empty calories. obsessed about my weight, exercised to no avail.... And then the whole low fat thing.

Anyways, I am glad to have found a way of eating that works for me, am so glad the snacking dragon is gone...and hope to keep it that way.

So, quick check in on my vacation.

Made it to San Francisco just fine, except I'm rediculously tired.

I ate breakfast before I left for the airport at 5am. Ate my epic bar and turkey pepperoni with cut up cucumber, cherry tomatoes, and olives for a second breakfast 5 hrs later on the plane. And some nuts....ugh, so bloated now. I haven't had nuts on this whole30, but I know now they aren't good for me....could have been all the raw veggies too.

Lunch and dinner since I've arrived have also been compliant so I'm happy about that. One day down and one day at a time.

It's a bit weird to be in San Francisco, where I am usually food centered and wanting to eat ALL the amazing things, and be focused on whole30....its interesting. And good practice. I can have a great time on vacation and not go totally off the rails with eating.

Finally not jet lagged and can stay awake to post tonight.

Have been completely compliant and managing this whole30 - feeling really good about it. Have been having a ton of fun with my friend 'playing' outside. Have done some incredible and long hikes, have been cooking incredible meals and eating incredible food. We went to a dinner party tonight and we cooked all of the food - another amazing supper. I did have a handful of macadamia nuts and a handful of olives while others were having bread and cheese, and I really was ok with that. Drank a to. If fizzy water - I will say I missed the wine, but I'm so happy that I drove home and I won't have a terrible headache in the morning or worse.

Lots of NSVs.

Have been thinking so much about my relationship with food these past few days. My relationship with sugar is in the forefront...if I'm really honest, I really have no control over being addicted to junk food....I used to think I wAs superior because I would never eat McDonald's or Taco Bell etc....but I could eat kettle chips like they were going out of style, eat entire charcuterie boards with bread and salamis, eat pints of ice cream and had even started sneaking food/snacks/treats during the day when my husband wasn't home.

I feel like I'm beginning to heal. I'm hopeful for the future, but I also feel like it's such a big world! I don't live in a bubble, I have a life and life gets in the way sometimes.

I think a lot about those foods I love. And think about something that was said to me in another discussion I was having elsewhere on the forum - we can think about things, but we also have to think about why we are abstaining from them and just move on. It's not complicated - yet I make it out to be, it is really very simple. I need to nourish myself, find the right balance for me, and not go back to old ways. That's it.

I say all that, but the true test will be next week when I'm home. I want to have high hopes, but I'm truly afraid. Many outings with friends and family....

Again, I think I need to take it one day at a time, relax, eat, breathe.....

Last day today!

In some ways this month has gone by quickly but in other ways it seemed to drag on.

I am on Vancouver Island now, visiting my family for 10 days - I'm happy to be home, happy that life had ground to a halt -- lol, except I may get a speeding ticket because people drive SO slow here.

I tried to tell my family about whole30, all the successes I've had etc....they just aren't interested. My mom went on about how she "almost did it for 2 weeks", except she had bran and dairy based probiotic every day? And her usually 1 cup plus of nuts daily. My sister is SO messed up hormonal lot and her functional med dr has specially asked her drop her carbs and up her fat, yet everything in her fridge is skim this, 0 fat that....watched my dad make dinner with peanut oil, mystery sauces and ketchup last night, and was so thankful I brought my ribeye steak, veggies and mayo.

I am not going to say anything else. They've asked why I'm eating this way and I told them. They all came up with excuses why they can't try it, so that's it. I am going away with my dad and step mom for the weekend, and I will be doing the whole menu plan and grocery shop. We will be eating fresh seafood - so the rest will be easy.

I really feel just SO amazing. It's taken till the end of this whole30 for that to happen, and I'm so happy. I have 2 meals out planned for this week, but they are both at restaurants I know will work for me.

I'm so looking forward to taking care of me, continuing on this path, fueling myself. No more eating to please other people, or because of peer pressure -- I wouldn't jump off a bridge if everyone else was too would I?

I will revive my post whole30 log today too:)

Archived