The Hangover combined with Carb Flu combined with real flu and sinus infection?

I've done one full round of Whole30 before and most of a second one, now I'm on round 3 (2.5?) so I'm familiar with the fatigue and the carb flu and all of that. I started yesterday so I'm only on Day 2, and I admit I went crazy eating wings and pho and spring rolls and candy and cider and wine all last week so I'm fully expecting a bad hangover from that this week.

But I think I have all of that plus a sinus infection/flu type illness, and also today started some stomach issues, specifically I am super freaking hungry all the time followed by everything I eat coming out one way or another shortly after.

I have a doctor's appt Monday because they were checking me for gallbladder/pancreas/ulcer problems so my stomach hasn't been great recently but not in the same way was this. I also have Ehler's Danlos Syndrome and Addison's Disease, the meds for which can cause the gallbladder etc problems.

Anyways! Long winded post but: Any advice on what I should do? Keep eating all kinds of food? Or just take it easy until my stomach feels better? Part of the problem is I feel HUNGRY. Like steamed fish and broccoli hungry, within 30 minutes of eating.

• Moderators

What do you mean by 'all kinds of foods'?

Personally, I would try and eat some more bland, easily digestible foods like scrambled eggs, chicken salad, roasted and mashed yams or squash... If you do have the gallbladder issues, its much better to be eating a non inflammatory diet right now so you know that whatever symptoms you have are directly related to the medical issue. That said, the detoxing part of the W30 can be kind of disgusting in the bathroom (not so much of the throwing up tho.. that's not really normal unless it's brought on by pain or a headache).

Glad you have your doctor appointment booked!

And if you feel hungry, eat... make template meals and eat one or a portion of one when you feel hungry.. you already know the 'am I hungry' litmus test so it sounds like you're legit hungry... given the stomach issues, I wouldn't suggest just packing more into your meals, but rather to eat a template meal to satiety and then eat again when you're hungry... not the best way to get your hormones in line but might be easier on the toiletting issues.

• Moderators

Are there any foods that you feel like wouldn't bother you? Something like broth or soup, baked potato or sweet potato, plain grilled chicken, scrambled eggs? I'd avoid anything that might cause more stomach upset -- raw vegetables, nuts & seeds, spicy or acidic foods. If you feel like eating, though, go ahead and eat. I wouldn't worry about getting a huge variety of foods in at this point, just stick with the things that bother you least for now. 

You might find sipping on ginger or peppermint teas soothing as well. And definitely make sure you're staying hydrated.

So far I've been eating scrambled eggs, chicken, squash and bone broth, as well as some green juice (kale, cucumber, celery, banana and apple) just because I've been having trouble with raw vegetables for a few weeks. I have had some nuts and seeds and some grapefruit as well, and today I made stuffed peppers with beef which did not sit well.

Maybe I'll cut out the juice, fruit, nuts and seeds until I feel better.

I think I just want to figure out which of this is regular Whole30 stuff and which is not, but it's also only day 2 so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thanks for the advice!

So far I've been eating scrambled eggs, chicken, squash and bone broth, as well as some green juice (kale, cucumber, celery, banana and apple) just because I've been having trouble with raw vegetables for a few weeks. I have had some nuts and seeds and some grapefruit as well, and today I made stuffed peppers with beef which did not sit well.

Maybe I'll cut out the juice, fruit, nuts and seeds until I feel better.

I think I just want to figure out which of this is regular Whole30 stuff and which is not, but it's also only day 2 so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.

Thanks for the advice!

Keeping in mind you're not feeling good right now, peppers are a nightshade and can cause discomfort when you're already ill (even if they don't normally). I'd skip the juice as it can be rough on stomachs too, especially with apple (fodmap).

If you're up to cooking the Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup is my go-to when I don't feel well. Best made with bone broth (I like chicken). It's AIP if you skip the pepper, so it's very soothing when your body is cranky.

I really like lemongrass & ginger tea too, if you brew it strong, it has a bit of a "bite" which helps with my sinuses.

Archived