I need to do an AIP Whole 30. :(

Johnny Cheese

Happy New Year all!

Over the last 8 or so years, I have developed a number of health issues and symptoms, some of which bother me greatly. These symptoms are affecting everything in my life; my marriage, my children, my job. I am very depressed and constantly feel terrible. I have a high profile career that I've just moved in to and the brain fog is really making it difficult for me!

My main issues I believe are autoimmune in nature; Lichen Sclerosis and numbness / tingling. The numbness / tingling has been with me for 8 years and thankfully has never progressed and got worse. I was tested for MS etc, but everything came back negative.

I have tried many times over the years to stick to a Paleo / Primal diet but never lasted more than a few weeks before caving in. I did once manage to do a single Whole 30.

When I did the Whole 30 I lost some weight but didn't really see any improvements in my symptoms. I know deep down that I need to commit and do the Autoimmune Protocol but it is very daunting indeed.

I think the only way that I can get through it is with some support and accountability, which is why I'm posting here.

I am going to start on Wednesday 13/01/16. I can't start any earlier as I'm away from home with my job.

I plan to update daily and once I get through the 30 days I'll assess my next move.

Welcome!!!

I wish you much luck on your journey to health.  However I am going to make one strong suggestion right off the bat.  The whole 30 is not a "diet".  It is one step closer in figuring out your personal puzzle.  If you look at it as a "diet" you see it as a temporary thing - and since your health is involved - it should not a temporary fix or a stop gap.  In order to find the missing puzzle pieces - you will have to look at this as a marathon - not a race.

Doing an AIP whole 30 is definitely daunting.  I know this in my personal context as well.  I have multiple AI conditions (mostly skin issues) but I have yet to do a formal AIP Whole 30.  I have found out over time that I can't eat raw nightshades, and I need to limit eggs to once a week.  Potatoes seem to be the only "safe" night shade - but as long as they are peeled and cooked and that I don't over consume them.  But this is what works for me.  You could be completely different.

What I might suggest is to start off on a regular whole 30 - but limiting the items from the AIP shopping list.  And if you chose to consume tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and potatoes - make sure that they are peeled and cooked rather than raw. (There is something inflammatory about the peel of nightshades)  But eat them no more than 2 times a week.  Then slowly roll into a AIP whole 30.  That way it won't seem so restricting all at once.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your updates!!!

Archived