Day 3 and feeling bloated

Today is my 3rd day of the whole 30. I am generally a very healthy eater, but over the holidays I felt I over did it with the sweets and I often feel that I need to be strict with myself to get completely back on track. I started becoming health conscious when I gained a bunch of weight a few years back, and now even though I've lost I feel like the principals are ones I would like to maintain in my life. In addition, I have a lot of digestive issues, and a slow metabolism (I think) and it feels like I begin to gain weight with any significant amount of food. I start to feel really great and my energy levels are nice and stable when I have a super long fast and am consistently eating light. However as you can imagine, with any kind of social life this is hard to maintain and I know is somewhat backwards. But it feels like my body can't handle much food at all which is why I am somewhat nervous about this whole 30. I am on day 3 and am waking up feeling extremely bloated, when usually (assuming I didn't eat very late at night) I wake up with a flat stomach. I didn't even feel this bad over the holidays- which was only bad not necessarily because of the amount of food I ate, but because of the amount of junk food I ate, but I never felt grossly full or sick. I'm just afraid that all this fat and protein is too much for me.

Bloating on a Whole30 is generally caused by the following:

- nuts or seeds

- not drinking enough water

- eating raw or cruciferous vegetables

Are any of those the culprit for you?

Also, eat to satiety and feeling pleasantly full: don't overstuff yourself.

If you'd like more specific feedback, post your meals, portion sizes and water consumption for the past 3 days.

I haven't been stuffing myself but I'm saying the smallest amounts fill me so a normal portion feels like overeating. I like to not feel my food in my body, and all this heavy food is making me feel it. The other day I had for an early lunch an egg white omelette with spinach and peppers. Then for dinner I had a spinach salad with cucumbers, pepper, carrot, and two hard boiled eggs.

Yesterday breakfast was a banana and some nuts

Then lunch was a big salad spinach, tomato, peppers and hard boiled egg. Then dinner was an arugula salad with grilled chicken and a lemon and olive oil dressing.

Today I made two sweet potato "toasts" ( very thin slice of sweet potato baked to make crispy) and I topped one with a whole egg, the other egg whites, a little tomato, and a very thin slice of avocado, with a side of broccoli sautéed in a little bit of coconut butter. I also had half a banana. I feel like I've eaten more than ever. My pants are tight and I wake up full.

You are actually eating very little. :-)

What foods have you been eating that feel heavy to you?

Why egg whites instead of the whole egg?

The spinach, other raw veggies and nuts are the likely cause of your bloat. I'd suggest switching to all cooked veggies and dropping the nuts, to see if that helps.

Also, are you drinking at least 1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight, daily?

Do you like other proteins besides egg and chicken?

I know I'm eating very little! That's why this is so frustrating to me :(((

I always eat a good amount of raw greens, it never really causes me issues, usually at times when I'm feeling my best I have a giant raw salad at least once a day.

I used egg whites and one whole egg because I knew I was having fat in the avocado, the oil on the potatoes, and the butter in the broccoli and I didn't want to over due it on my fat intake first thing in the morning. I also know my body isn't very tolerant to larger meals so I was just trying to downsize where I could while still having a complete meal with all my macro nutrient intake.

The chicken is what feels heaviest to me, and today I woke up feeling heavy so I guess I just continued to feel heavy through my meal.

I'm generally very good with my water intake, I drink about 1/2 gallon-1 gallon (usually closer to 1 gallon) everyday

And I do like other proteins such as fish, but I just haven't had a chance to prep those yet. I try and stay away from red meats, once again in an attempt to keep my meals smaller in caloric values and just a bit lighter. I also only like to eat ethically sourced meats so I don't always have them on hand.

Ok, I'm saying this in the most gentle way possible: let go of the calorie mindset and over-thinking on the fats.

Really: eat the whole egg. :-) Have fats with it too.

Is eating chicken new for you? I'm trying to gauge what's different in the past couple days from how you typically eat.

Believe me I am trying to let go of the calorie thing, I haven't been thinking about it. And I do eat chicken, the only difference is that it is more protein and fat than I usually consume.. It's just more food. I'm not thinking about calories because I think lower calorie is better, I just know that when I eat bigger meals it's too much food and it takes me forever to digest

I would start with baby steps. Put 1 palm of protein on the plate (or if your protein is eggs, the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them), plus 1 cup of veggies and the low end of a fat serving per the recommended meal template. Take a bite of each, working your way around the plate until you feel full.  If you have food left, wrap up the plate, and store it until you're hungry again.

Ideally, for optimal hormonal balance, you want to get to a place where your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours. While salads may fill you up initially, they compress down to a fraction of the volume in your stomach, so they tend to not be as satiating as cooked vegetables.

You might also try different cuts of chicken and different textures (e.g., chicken breast vs. thigh, off the bone vs. ground chicken) to see if that makes a difference in how full/heavy you feel.

Archived