NorthernLilly's first Whole30

NorthernLilly

So I weighed myself this morning, I feel like my scale is lying. I mean, my shirts are looser and my pants are no longer tight so I feel like I'm busting at the seams - can I go down a jeans size? No, because then I'd be fighting the sausage casing battle all over again.

My acne is still bothering me, but it could be related to more than food. It goes in cycles through the month and as an adult, it sucks to deal with most days. I get excited when I feel like it's finally clearing up, just to break out again in two days. I'll pay attention closer the next month with eating against my breakouts, but I think they go with my monthly cycle, honestly.

My waist is defined again, I still have a little jiggle, but if I suckit in it actually goes in ;)

My eczema is flaring upon a spot on my leg (usual spot), but it's very likely to also be due to the very dry winter we're having (even my hands are so dried out, I'm lotion ing them all the time, my legs don't get the same attention).

I didn't get an abundance of energy. I think my afternoon slump was less frequent, though.

Some nights I did sleep better than I have in a long time. I get up easier on weekends, probably because I don't dread the day ahead of me.

I feel like I experienced less anxiety. Before January, I was having it randomly and frequent and couldn't take the tightness in mm y chest and the feeling that came along with it everytime. Sure, it hit me here and there this pastmonth,but not nearly like it was. I'm interested to see if it stays like this, or better, as I continue through this month.

I'm no longer afraid of fats. I was starting to go this way prior, with what I learned along the way (less fat in some foods often meant more sugar or additives, etc.). I've also learned in this past month what it takes to keep me not hungry for 4+ hours without eating so much I feel sick - even then, I was often hungry in a couple of hours before. I'm not sure if I've had fewer cravings, I still have them for random things - both on plan and off plan.

I've tried some new things, my husband, too. Made chard for the first time and made it in a way I knew would interest hubs more. We had chard 3 times on w30. Also tried Brussel sprouts for the first time and hubs didn't turn his nose up to them.

My friend at work who knew I was doing this was encouraginG and intrigued. I'm trying to talk her I to trying it without pushing her. She saw my physical results, why not? :) she even noticed me slimming down after about a week, because I was no longer bloated at that point.

Overy all, I would do another W30. In the meantime, I'm doing the fast track record to as we have something previously planned just in time for the reintro to be over this way. After, I plan on eating whole30-ish. Occasions, we will indulge in moderation. When we have our niece and nephew over, we're not going to deprive them of Sunday pancakes at our house ;).

I did get burned out on cooking all the time. I love to cook, but I like a break now and then. Hubs shared some of the responsibility with me, which helped, but still. And the dishes... I haven't wished so much for a dishwasher by the names of GE, Kenmore, Whirlpool, Maytag, or Bosche so much before now. Alas, dishwasher is still a dream for many years down the road.

I'm going to keep my reintro stuff here, I'd rather it all be in one place since it's still a part of the W30 journey.

Darn, missed in the first breath to explain I did lose weight, I just don't think it was 12 pounds lost as my scale said. 12 pounds has never been easy for me tolose. I'm happy but cautious, as I do need to lose more along the way, but wow 12 pounds.

Hubs forgot to weigh this morning, I'll update tomorrow.

Warning: post contains negativity, unrelated to W30, but to life.

Today was a W30 day. Been in a bad mood since lunch, but I think it's cause of the day - dishes beyond piled up, spent half my lunch break mixing my tuna salad and chopping an onion (part of it for tuna, rest for beef stew for dinner), and fought with the new jar of relish and never succeeded to open the darn thing.

Then, the dishes were bothering me so bad, I spent the other half of my lunch break doing some of the dishes. Needless to say, I ate some tuna after I was back to working, but I was unsatisfied with how it tasted... no tangyness from lack of the dill relish, too much onion... I don't know.

Ended up taking my afternoon break kinda late and quickly started cooking the chopped onions, peeled/cut/cooked carrots, cut & cooked celery. My 15 was over and didn't have time to get the beef in the pot yet, so I threw in a cup of water and kept the burner on low while I finished working.

My manager managed to forward an issue to me with less than 30 minutes left of my shift and I got stuck on a half after after my shift working it. God forbid I ask for OT and get a response, so I'll have to try to lose that time friday. As it is, I have to log on tonight for a fix checkout and I'm going in late tomorrow to lose the planned time from tonight.

At 4:15, I finally get to add the beef to the pot along with my seasonings. I added in some water mixed with arrowroot and brought the pot to a low boil. Once the boil started, I threw it in the preheated oven and crossed my fingers it would be tender enough by 5:30 for hubs to eat before he had to run off to class. Luckily, it worked out. It was tasty, even for not using beef broth (can't find a compliant one), though I did add a couple of tbsp of tomato paste to make it rich-ish.

I'm still hungry, I'm still moody. There are more dishes still to do. Laundry to change over... and ranch to make for hubs' lunch tomorrow. I'm burned out. I need a day off.

<end negativity rant>

Had my biometrics this morning and had to fast for the bloodwork. First time in a long time I saw my bmi calculate lower than 27. I couldn't wait to get back to my desk so I could quickly eat my HB egg (in the break room cause those things smell bad at a desk), and ate my pineapple at my desk. My fat source packed was only cashews today so I had a bit of those. I was starving by lunch, my day was all thrown off. Lunch was leftover beef stew and some apple slices (we ran out of veg already this week). After work I ran to the store to get some baby carrots for tonight and tomorrow (usually get the whole carrots, but no energy to peel and cut the sucked right now).

Dinner was zoodles with meat sauce (ground turkey), baby carrots, and I'm still hungry so Im going to go find something else compliant I can eat. Maybe some more carrots and add some ranch for the fat.

So far, things are going well. I haven't done anything crazy, still reading labels and whatnot. Almost done reintro. Today was dairy... and my stomach didn't take too kindly tonight. The cheese at lunch didn't bother me, but the cream sauce at dinner seemed to. Or it was too much dairy in one day. Or the leftover chili at lunch. Or combo of everything. I won't totally give up cheese, but at least I have an idea for when I go out sometime ;)

if you don't mind me making a suggestion ?   I used to love dairy - everything dairy- then slowly gave it up (mostly Paleo diet)   so when I did my initial 30  I decided to reintroduce individual dairy items.  There were some things I knew I would not re-add, milk for one.  So 1 day I added cheese, and only cheese to each meal  ( my guts didn't like it at all )  then I did yogurt - stomach was fine - but I then experienced joint pain.   So then I tried goat milk cheese - no problems, and the same with goat milk yogurt. then I tried sour cream..   This - for me - made it clear which items to stay away from, and which items I might enjoy occasionally.

Good luck with the rest of your intro.

Thanks, Tina - I'll definitely be paying attention even after the reintroduction. I've been cautious along the way, but the next time I want dinner with cream sauce, I'll make sure I don't have anything else to possibly cause the stomach troubles that day, just to be sure. :)

W30 day yesterday and I was hungry for most of the day it seemed. HB egg and pineapple for breakfast (ate just a little of the pineapple, the acidity wasn't tasting pleasant yesterday). Lunch was leftover chicken soup, which tasted off so I ate what I could and then had some carrots and cashews (only far source with me yesterday). Dinner was really late for us, as the line at primary voting in my town was really long (for my third of the alphabet anyway). But we had chicken sausage (found compliant ones in a mild Italian sausage flavor), potatoes, roasted carrots, and unsweetened applesauce.

On the 11th, it was gluten reintro. Had a bagel with clarified butter. Brought eggs with me too. Lunch was veg soup, chicken sausage, carrots, guacamole. We had an appointment around our usual dinnertime and I was starving 4 hours or so after lunch so I had a larabar knowing it was going to be 2 to 3 hours until we could eat dinner. Dinner was a burger with bun (no cheese) and it was pretty good (coming from someone who doesn't really eat/enjoy hamburgers). No side effects it seems - yay!

Then W30 for 2 days and I'm done with reintro.

Archived