Hostess gift for white flour/sugar people.

shaimom

Refined vegetable oils, artificial whipping cream, white pasta, fried chicken in breadcrumbs, home-baked white bread, sugar in everything- you get the picture, tons of cake/cookies/desserts.

First, I want to take something with for myself, a piece of protein to match what they are having.

But I also want to take something vegetable-ish as a gift... they really don't like healthy things. Maybe something with potatoes/sweet potatoes? I'm fine to have a carb dense meal as long as I don't break any rules. Something I can give them but fill my plate with it too ;)

And also - I hope I manage. They can be very persuasive people. I told my DH not to let me eat anything I shouldn't regardless of what people say. It's hard for people who haven't heard of the Whole30 to understand why it is so strict, especially as I am underweight ad they are overweight and they are not on a diet.

Regarding protein to take along, meatballs would be my first choice. I especially like Mel Joulwan's Bora Bora Fireballs or Morroccan Meatballs. You can check them out, along with other meatball recipes here:

http://meljoulwan.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/

http://meljoulwan.com/2009/03/05/mmmmm-moroccan-meatballs/

On veggies, I'd suggest roasted. You could do a mixture of cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper. Or something like this fabulous roasted cauliflower recipe (I served this as a side dish on Christmas Eve and it was a huge hit):http://thehealthyfoodie.com/oven-roasted-cauliflower/

These are all so tasty, your friends won't care that they're healthy too!

Does it have to be a food gift?  I mean it's nice to try to turn them on to the fact that healthy food IS delicious, but if they're not going to appreciate it, I wouldn't bother wasting the effort and ingredients.

How about a non-food gift, like a nice serving bowl or some cute mugs or other home décor item?

Just a thought.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Thanks all!

It went okay - they asked about my 'diet' in the end and made me compliant food. Well, after questioning, out of everything they said was compliant, I could eat the grilled chicken - awkward. I took a big salad with mango and fruit sweetened dried cranberries in, and a strawberry balsamic dressing - ate that with the chicken and everyone else enjoyed it too. I regret not taking the potatoes and sweet potatoes as well though. As soon as I got home I wolfed down a sweet potato and some olives to round the meal out.

It was someone's birthday and they had birthday cake. I was literally crying inside. I wanted that cake, so bad!

Thanks for your feedback!

I wrote them a list of what I can and can't eat. One of the things I said was no grains, and wrote "e.g. wheat, oats, rye, even quinoa etc."

So they made barley.. haha... because I didn't write it under the examples.

They also made a soup with noodles in, thinking I could just have it if I left out the noodles.

Archived