Clarified Butter is brown

sunshine7362

I am new to Whole30.  I just tried to clarify butter and it looked great.  I took the advice of letting is simmer longer as mentioned in the Whole30 book.  Looks like the solids went to the bottom but the butter is an amber color much darker than ghee.  Is it still whole30 compliant.  I think I may have created brown butter.  Even though I used a cheesecloth and the butter is clear I was wondering if I have to start over.  Thanks.

• 4 months later...

Some people prefer it a little darker :) It's fine to eat

First time making clarified butter today...it turned out slightly lighter color than coffee.  Is it still okay or is it now not Whole30?

Thank you in advance!!

I find that some batches of clarified butter/ghee taste better than butter -- complex and deep. And other batches are perhaps not quite as good as butter, but still tasty. 

This is one of the great things about Whole30: It has forced me to try new things. I loved cooking for a long time before Whole30, but I never cooked this much, that's for sure! Now I have tried things I never thought I would like -- sardines, coconut everything, whole fruits (instead of juice), and more.

The thing with buying and preparing real food is that it can be unpredictable. But that can be exciting! I know I had come to rely on the consistency of processed/packaged food before I discovered the Whole30. Now I am experimenting, and the results can be surprising. When you find something you love, it's such a great reward.  

it's a shame we or at least I still eat the same ol same ol. i think when I find my new good new, It will probably and hopefully be a new me.    

thanks for the replys on the Clarified. I was hoping it was not just oil...   ;)  

do you all make your own or buy the Ghee? 

• Moderators

it's a shame we or at least I still eat the same ol same ol. i think when I find my new good new, It will probably and hopefully be a new me.    

thanks for the replys on the Clarified. I was hoping it was not just oil...   ;)

do you all make your own or buy the Ghee? 

Ghee doesn't do a lot for me, so I rarely have it. It's not that I hate it, it's just not my favorite. When I do want some for a recipe or just for a change in cooking oil, I buy it -- but I can buy it at a nearby health food store for a reasonable price, so it's not a big deal. I have made it before, it's not really hard to do, but I'm a messy cook and found that I had butter all over my counter by the time I poured it through whatever I used to filter it (cheesecloth? coffee filter? I don't remember now), so it's just not worth it to me to make it.

If you do make it and don't care for the flavor, you can add flavoring to it -- these instructions have you add herbs/spices as you cook the ghee, but you can also find any recipe for compound butter that adds compliant herbs and spices and make it using ghee instead -- so this recipe uses butter, but sub a pound of ghee instead, and you'll have a lovely herbed "butter" to put on your cooked vegetables or meats. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am new to Whole30.  I just tried to clarify butter and it looked great.  I took the advice of letting is simmer longer as mentioned in the Whole30 book.  Looks like the solids went to the bottom but the butter is an amber color much darker than ghee.  Is it still whole30 compliant.  I think I may have created brown butter.  Even though I used a cheesecloth and the butter is clear I was wondering if I have to start over.  Thanks.

I just had exactly the same problem but I gather from internet searches it is still ok for cooking.  Also I discovered my husband bought salted, not unsalted butter and I wondered if this made the difference.  I just hope it doesn't taste how it smelt!!  

• Moderators

I just had exactly the same problem but I gather from internet searches it is still ok for cooking. Also I discovered my husband bought salted, not unsalted butter and I wondered if this made the difference. I just hope it doesn't taste how it smelt!!

Salted butter tends to give you really salty ghee/clarified butter, because the salt ends up really concentrated. It doesn't hurt anything, but if you don't like salty, you may not care for it, and you definitely need to not add as much salt to things you cook in it or they could end up over-salted.

Browning the butter just changes the flavor, it'll be a bit nutty tasting, not like regular butter.

Archived