Sunflower & Safflower Oil. Confused

JBGR

High Oilec Organic Sunflower or Safflower Oil.  Friend or Foe?

I'm confused.  The Whole30 list of "Can I haves" says limit these two oils to dining out.  The It All Starts With Food book is really tough on both oils.  The Mayo recipe on this site says these can be used (or light olive oil).  What gives?  Are these okay or avoid foods?  Thanks. 

• Administrators

It's the "high oleic" part that matters. The standard sunflower and safflower are not ideal at all.

Here's a comment about it from the Whole30 blog post on making mayo:

First, make sure you use light olive oil, not extra-virgin. (The EVOO tastes way too heavy.) You can also use a high-oleic safflower or sunflower oil. The seeds used to make these oils have been bred to contain more healthy monounsaturated fats and less polyunsaturated fats, making their nutrition profile almost identical to olive oil. (Note, this is not the same as genetically modifying the seeds—these are not GMO products.) The flavor of all three of these oils is very mild, making it ideal for mayonnaise. You could use avocado oil, but we find the overall flavor too heavy, and don’t recommend it.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2014/05/mayo/#sthash.8lqiF86C.dpuf

• Moderators

I avoid all oils (other than eating out, which is difficult, but I always ask for no oil when possible) except:

• coconut oil
  • ghee (usually make my own, sometimes buy it)
  • olive oil
  • avocado oil
  • sesame oil (never use for cooking, just flavor added after)
  • lard
  • duck fat (check your ingredients)

For mayo, I use either light olive oil or avocado oil. Actually, a blend of both makes the best mayo, IMO.

I'm confused on two oils also. The recipe for chicken chowder calls for a quart of chicken broth and every healthy broth I find has either sugar or something non-compliant. I found a trader joes broth but it has canola and or safflower oil. Can I use it? Help want to make this recipe

• Administrators

I'm confused on two oils also. The recipe for chicken chowder calls for a quart of chicken broth and every healthy broth I find has either sugar or something non-compliant. I found a trader joes broth but it has canola and or safflower oil. Can I use it? Help want to make this recipe

That would not be an appropriate choice, unfortunately.  Try making your own chicken broth?

Archived