3 Homeade Mayo Fails... Any recommendations?

Hi,

I've made 3 attempts at making mayo in my Vitamix and have ended up with scrambled egg in oil each time. Is there a Whole30 Approved one I can buy? Saw a Paleo approved one on Amazon but it had Rosemary extract and If I remember correctly, extracts are a no-no.

Really wanting some egg salad - and on Day 5 - anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lauren :)

• Moderators

Tessemae's makes a compliant mayo.

But before you order some, do you have an immersion blender? That's how I make mayo, using this method: http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

I think the vitamix is too powerful for making mayo, although you could google vitamix mayo and see if there are any tips out there that might help.

Hi,

I've made 3 attempts at making mayo in my Vitamix and have ended up with scrambled egg in oil each time. Is there a Whole30 Approved one I can buy? Saw a Paleo approved one on Amazon but it had Rosemary extract and If I remember correctly, extracts are a no-no.

Really wanting some egg salad - and on Day 5 - anything you can recommend would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lauren :)

I'm pretty sure the Vitamix will get too hot for mayo and cook the egg. Any old cheap immersion blender will work much better, but the Vitamix is great for lots of other stuff :)

Thanks Shannon! Will definitely find an immersion blender. Vitamix did have a recipe for mayo so I tried their settings but it didn't work out.

Actually, one more question re:mayo. Is there anything to worry about with the raw egg?

Thanks and will let you know how it goes! Hopefully won't be needing to buy Tessamae's - although I just did spend a lot on their other condiments! Am obsessed with my sauces :)

• Moderators

There will always be some slight risk that any given egg could contain salmonella. It seems to be a pretty small risk. When you make mayo, you add acid (lemon juice or vinegar, usually), which is supposed to help kill the bacteria. If you have a healthy immune system, between the low chance that your particular egg would contain salmonella bacteria, and the acid killing off bacteria, and your body's ability to fight off disease, you're probably safe, but you can google "pasteurizing eggs" and find a way to do that if you're concerned. This article sums up the way I think about it.

(As a side note, I personally have consumed enough raw cookie dough and cake batter in my lifetime that I'd feel like a hypocrite refusing to have homemade mayo, but that's just me. :D)

Archived