Day 4 Pain Suggestions Needed

agarvin

I'm at the end of day 4 of my first whole30 and all my muscles and bones just ache so bad. I literally feel like I ran a marathon yesterday. Is this normal? I'm making sure to drink enough water and eat enough snacks but I constantly feel hungry.

Any suggestions?

If you feel hungry, that means you are not eating enough. So go ahead and eat something. Then, come back and post a couple of days' worth of your meals, and we can help you tweak them for better results. The fact that you're eating snacks suggests that you may be missing a key element of the Whole30, which is to eat meals. We really do want you to eat.

It's normal to feel a bit off right now, but not to feel constantly hungry and very sore. Eat up. Then come tell us about it.

After I wrote this I ate a banana. It's tough keeping a consistent schedule with a baby. My biggest problem is I think I've pretty much starved myself the past 9 months (average 800-1000 calories a day I've figured out) because I just forget to eat. Now that I'm eating food again I know my body wants more. Today was the worse day eating wise this week because we were trying to eat up leftovers from the past few days. Here's about what I had today. 

8:00 Scrambled eggs, grapes, and snap peas

12:30 Tuna, avocado, in a whole red pepper

2:00 Larabar & some kombucha

6:00 Pork chop with applesauce

9:15 Banana

Yesterday here's what I had.

7:30 Chicken breast with pesto, and a kiwi

12:30 Tuna, snap peas, grapes, avocado

2:00 Larabar

6:00 Beef brisket and a garden salad

After looking at this I'm thinking I need more fat and starchy carbs, maybe? Thanks for your help!

How many eggs?

How much tuna?

For today, you've got barely any veggies and it really looks like not enough protein.

Yesterday you seen to have very few veggies, really only some salad.

A lot of people struggle if they're only eating salad as it actually compacts down to not very much at all.

Is your baby still nursing?

You may need to be eating more than the template, but these also don't look like template meals, you must be starving!!!! :o  :(

If you find meal prep hard with the baby, try some bulk roasting in the oven, some sweet potatoes, pumpkin, white potato, carrots, onions, peppers. Then you can quickly assemble meals with veggies without having to cook all the time.

You could eat a whole extra meal right now if you want, you've probably got a bit of catching up to do.

That's so good to hear! Thanks! I'm so glad I asked.

Yes, she's still nursing. We were trying to stick to the 7 day meal plan that's in the book for this first week but it's super overwhelming with all the prep. Our goal for tomorrow is to figure out a realistic plan and write down exactly what we will eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to make sure we're getting enough. Thanks again!

After I wrote this I ate a banana. It's tough keeping a consistent schedule with a baby. My biggest problem is I think I've pretty much starved myself the past 9 months (average 800-1000 calories a day I've figured out) because I just forget to eat. Now that I'm eating food again I know my body wants more. Today was the worse day eating wise this week because we were trying to eat up leftovers from the past few days. Here's about what I had today. 

8:00 Scrambled eggs, grapes, and snap peas

12:30 Tuna, avocado, in a whole red pepper

2:00 Larabar & some kombucha

6:00 Pork chop with applesauce

9:15 Banana

Yesterday here's what I had.

7:30 Chicken breast with pesto, and a kiwi

12:30 Tuna, snap peas, grapes, avocado

2:00 Larabar

6:00 Beef brisket and a garden salad

After looking at this I'm thinking I need more fat and starchy carbs, maybe? Thanks for your help!

I COMPLETELY agree with ladyshanny, you need to eat lots more food!!! Think: 1-2 palm-size portions of protein; 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat; 1-3 cups of veggies. Do that at least three times a day if you're not nursing; at least four times a day if you're nursing. If you're nursing, you can also keep a fat source on hand for throughout the day. Sipping on canned compliant coconut milk is a popular option for this.

Here's how you could tweak your meals, based on what you posted for yesterday:

Meal One: 1-2 palm size portions of chicken breast; a really good-size dollop of pesto; 2 cups roasted cubed sweet potatoes or white potatoes

Meal Two: 1-2 palm size portions of tuna; at least half of the avocado; the whole red pepper plus some more veggies

Mini-meal in the afternoon: one or two hard boiled eggs; roasted cubed potatoes/squash/other veggies

Meal Three: 1-2 palm size portions of brisket; dollop of mayo or the other half of that avocado; a wheelbarrow full of salad, since you need it to equal 1-3 cups of veggies, and salad greens are not typically filling, and wilt down to nothing; add some more substantial veggies to the salad to fill it out

Mini-meal in the evening (if needed, and especially if nursing): leftover protein, leftover fat, and leftover veggies

You really really need to eat! I'm hungry reading your log and I just ate dinner! Please remember that we want you to eat meals when you are hungry. This business of short-changing yourself on meals and then eating emergency food like Larabars later is going to keep you super hungry.

If cooking is hard with the baby around, as how could it not be, see if you can work out a way to do batch cooking of large trays of roasted veggies, roasts in the crock pot, things like that. That way you can quickly assemble a full meal so that you'll have food. If you are not physically able to eat a full meal all at once because of the baby's needs, that's fine, just prepare your food and eat it on the go. I'm not sure I sat down to eat at all during the first four years or so of my kids' lives.

Hope this helps. You're feeling hungry 'cause you're hungry. Eat up.

That's so good to hear! Thanks! I'm so glad I asked.

Yes, she's still nursing. We were trying to stick to the 7 day meal plan that's in the book for this first week but it's super overwhelming with all the prep. Our goal for tomorrow is to figure out a realistic plan and write down exactly what we will eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner to make sure we're getting enough. Thanks again!

I wouldn't even think about a formal meal plan with a nursling around. Seriously. 1-2 palm size portions of protein; 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (in your case, more more more fat!); 1-3 cups veggies. Do that four times a day. Unless you're an avid home cook regardless of circumstances, don't even bother with menus and recipes and all that. Just roast trays of veggies, keep olives, olive oil, avocados, etc. on hand for fat, and crock pot that big ole' roast. Bam, that's like two full days of meals right there.

I wouldn't even think about a formal meal plan with a nursling around. Seriously. 1-2 palm size portions of protein; 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (in your case, more more more fat!); 1-3 cups veggies. Do that four times a day. Unless you're an avid home cook regardless of circumstances, don't even bother with menus and recipes and all that. Just roast trays of veggies, keep olives, olive oil, avocados, etc. on hand for fat, and crock pot that big ole' roast. Bam, that's like two full days of meals right there.

Haha that's perfect! We were just flipping through the book figuring out a game plan for tomorrow. Thanks so much for the help!!

If you haven't read about Hot Plates, you're gonna love these: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/01/04/whole30-2014-week-2-food-plan/

The basics is Protein + Veggies + Fat + Spices + Sauce = Meal

So you don't need to have a plan and if you make more than one serve, you just reheat and you've got yourself a meal :)

If you can't be bothered with anything else, the Sunshine Sauce is my favourite, I make double or triple batches.

Archived