1st time Whole30 - Scottish guy

billyliar

Glad you're feeling better! Keep up the awesome work and food!

Thanks Geralyn, i'm getting there i can see you are too so well done!

Day 7

Meal 1 - Scrambled eggs with kale, mushrooms, spring onion, pepper and avocado

Meal 2 - Pork stiry fry with loads of veggies, beetroot curry, sweet potato wedges and olives

Meal 3 Chilli with cauliflower rice, guacamole and pickled carrots

Feeling ok today, can still taste the acid in my mouth but not getting abdominal pains now so hopefully going in the right direction. I'm upto 3 Betaine HCL capsules now, will try 4 tomorrow. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 8

Meal 1 - Bacon, eggs, asparagus and guacamole

Meal 2 - Chilli, pickled carrots, kale, butternut squash and coconut soup

Meal 3 - Lamb chops with Chimichurri, hasselback potatoes, broccoli and half an avocado

Feeling tired so just had a lazy day other than cooking. 

Day 9 

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake with eggs, steak mince, bacon, kale, mushrooms, onions, pepper and potatoes, with half an avocado

Meal 2 - Chicken and olive salad and beef bone broth

Meal 3 - Bulgogi (korean beef) with cauliflower rice, steamed cabbage, korean cucumber salad and home made chilli sauce and more broth

I read a lot about bone broth so made a pot today and it settled my stomach straight away. I'm going to keep drinking it all week.

Day 10

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake with eggs, steak mince, bacon, kale, mushrooms, onions, pepper and potatoes, with half an avocado and a mug of bone broth

Meal 2 - Chilli with cauliflower rice and have an avocado

Meal 3 - Pork chops roasted parcels with mushrooms courgettes and garlic, sweet potato wedges, chilli mayo and cucumber salad

Day 11

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake with eggs, steak mince, bacon, kale, mushrooms, onions, pepper and potatoes, with half an avocado and a mug of bone broth

Meal 2 - Bulgogi (korean beef) with cauliflower rice, steamed cabbage, korean cucumber salad and home made chilli sauce and cashew nuts

Meal 3 - Chicken Tikka masala made with coconut milk, zoodles, cauliflower and potato curry and olives

Day 12

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake with eggs, steak mince, bacon, kale, mushrooms, onions, pepper and potatoes, with half an avocado and a mug of bone broth

Meal 2  - Chicken Tikka masala made with coconut milk, zoodles, cauliflower and potato curry and olives

Meal 3 - Fillet steak, baked potato, broccoli and chimichurri 

Day 13

Meal 1 - Scrambled eggs with kale and avocado

Meal 2 - Roast chicken, roast veg with chilli mayo

Meal 3 - Pork stir fry with loads of veggies and cashew nuts

I've still been having some IBS symptoms and had a skin rash after tea today. For dinner i had pork stir fried with a lot of vegetables which i have just realised are high in FODMAPS!

I think i'm going to have to plan for the next few weeks avoiding all food high in FODMAPS now. I'll have to sit down and work out a meal plan from the food i can eat, think it will be challenging!

I'm FODMAP intolerant myself and have been avoiding high FODMAP foods for about 6mths - I just started reintroing at the start of this month - I love >this list< - eat from the green side (about half way down the page) until your symptoms subside....

Thanks for the link, that was really helpful. I'm going to give that a try although it means no avocados, broccoli etc going to have to really think about what to eat for the next few weeks.

Did you get diagnosed through a doctor or did you just do an elimination diet?

Thanks for the link, that was really helpful. I'm going to give that a try although it means no avocados, broccoli etc going to have to really think about what to eat for the next few weeks.

Did you get diagnosed through a doctor or did you just do an elimination diet?

Not an official diagnosis, no..... just some self-awareness, some knowledge about food, and a light bulb moment - followed by a 6mth period of low FODMAP eating where my symptoms were non-existent. But I strongly suspect that my problems lie in polyols so I'm conducting a little experiment at reintroducing the fructans I used to eat one by one and watching for symptoms. So far I've done sauerkraut, beetroot & broccoli - the jury is still out on the broccoli - one final test to do with that tomorrow, and then I'm moving on to cabbage & then sprouts...

I'm guessing that for the methane test you have to be eating high FODMAPs (in the same way you have to be eating gluten for the coeliac test) and I'm not about to put myself through that misery voluntarily!!

Not an official diagnosis, no..... just some self-awareness, some knowledge about food, and a light bulb moment - followed by a 6mth period of low FODMAP eating where my symptoms were non-existent. But I strongly suspect that my problems lie in polyols so I'm conducting a little experiment at reintroducing the fructans I used to eat one by one and watching for symptoms. So far I've done sauerkraut, beetroot & broccoli - the jury is still out on the broccoli - one final test to do with that tomorrow, and then I'm moving on to cabbage & then sprouts...

I'm guessing that for the methane test you have to be eating high FODMAPs (in the same way you have to be eating gluten for the coeliac test) and I'm not about to put myself through that misery voluntarily!!

Thanks for that, it's encouraging to me that i might actually finally get to the bottom of it and start to feel better.

I'll avoid low fodmap foods for the rest of my whole 30 and keep a diary of symptoms if any. 

I've read about methane tests sounds easier to do an elimination diet, doubt my doctor would test me for it anyway.

Day 15

Meal 1 - Egg and potato salad with lettuce cucumber and  tomatoes

Meal 2 - mixed veg and coconut milk soup, roasst chicken and kale 

Meal 3 - Lime and coriander prawn stir fry and an avocado

I actually read up on this after posting here last night and from what I can see it's something you have to do privately, or you can buy a home-testing kit & send it to a lab - and they actually advise eating low FODMAP for two weeks so that the gut is healed before drinking the sugar solution that's used for testing.

Thanks, but I don't need an expensive lab test to tell me something I already know!

It should only actually take a few days to a week on low FODMAP for you to see a marked improvement but you may need to loose that coconut milk, and most likely the avocado to get there.... (sorry!)

Good luck!!

I actually read up on this after posting here last night and from what I can see it's something you have to do privately, or you can buy a home-testing kit & send it to a lab - and they actually advise eating low FODMAP for two weeks so that the gut is healed before drinking the sugar solution that's used for testing.

Thanks, but I don't need an expensive lab test to tell me something I already know!

It should only actually take a few days to a week on low FODMAP for you to see a marked improvement but you may need to loose that coconut milk, and most likely the avocado to get there.... (sorry!)

Good luck!!

Yeah don't think there's much point testing for it when an elimination diet and a symptom diary are easier and probably more accurate.

I'd be happy if i could work it out within a week.

I know, i love avocados and coconut milk too they've made following the whol30 easy. I'm going to have to think about it a lot more now!

Day 17

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake made from eggs, minced steak, bacon, kale, peppers and courgette

Meal 2 - Chilli and baked potato with olive oil with mixed greens

Meal 3 - Roast pork, courgette and carrot coleslaw and ratatouille with tomatoes peppers courgette and aubergine

Day two of avoiding foods high in fodmaps and not had any skin rashes, itchy eyes or abdominal pains so far.

I feel find throughout the day but been going to bed early as i'm knackered and sleeping for about 8 hours but waking up feeling tired!

Day 19

Meal 1 - Breakfast bake made from eggs, minced steak, bacon, kale, peppers and courgette

Meal 2 - Chilli and courgette and carrott noodles and olives

Meal 3 - Meatballs tomato sauce (topped with a tb spoon of olive oil before eating), roasted butturnut squash and kale sauteed in coconut oil.

How is the avoidance of high fodmap foods going?! Are you getting back to your normal sleep schedule?

I've not had any abdominal pains or other signs of acid reflux in the last few days. I'm waking up with a bad taste in my mouth but don't think it's from acid reflux as i'm not coughing etc and it's not the same, think it's a sign that i'm in ketosis.

All of my jeans are falling off me now and i have loads of energy all day. I'm still going to bed quite early but getting a good sleep and not having any trouble getting to sleep so i'm really happy with how far things have improved already.

After the 30 days i'll test some foods to hopefully add a bit more variety to my diet but will still avoid grains and dairy i think. I'm going to stick to avoiding high fodmap foods long term though as this seems to be making a big difference so far.

Day 20

Meal 2 - Meatballs tomato sauce (topped with a tb spoon of olive oil before eating), roasted butternut squash and kale sauteed in coconut oil.

Meal 3 - Jerk chicken (without garlic, onions, sugar etc.) new potatoes with ghee, pineapple and pepper salsa

Day 21

Meal 1 - Scrambled eggs with mixed greens and bacon

Meal 2 - Jerk chicken (without garlic, onions, sugar etc.) new potatoes with ghee, pineapple and pepper salsa. olives

Meal 3 - Chilli with roasted butternut squash with kale sauteed in loads of coconut oil

Still feeling full of energy and my mental clarity is much better. 

After years of struggling i'm finally starting to feel like i'm getting to the root of the problem. I've not taken tablets for the whole30 and don't plan on taking them again  :) 

Archived