"natural fruit sugars"

ach324

what does that mean when you see it on the label? it's on the Vita Coco coconut water (the only other ingredient besides coconut water) and I can't tell if it's just like, sweetened with fruit juice (which is ok) or if it's like, coconut sugar, or something. i don't usually drink coconut water but really wanted something besides plain water and that's the only non-soda drink we have in my office. 

thanks!

They're referring to the naturally occurring sugars in the coconut water itself - coconut water being a light fruit juice.

This is okay for drinking if you work somewhere where you'd be prone to dehydration, if you're doing endurance sports, but not really the type of thing we'd like to see you drinking as an alternative to water, or on a daily basis.

You could try some fruit infused water for a bit of a change, or some seltzer with a small splash of fruit juice in it, or some fruit/herbal tea....

• 8 months later...
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, C. Logan said:

But if it's in the *ingredients*, its not compliant, correct?

Vita Coco has ingredients: coconut water, less than 1% natural fruit sugar, vitamin C

If it's listed in the ingredients, it's added sugar, and therefore against the rules for Whole30.

I think that I read somewhere (and cannot find it now) that some brands add sugar to keep the taste more consistent from batch to batch.

if it's sweet, and you're drinking it instead of water, then that's probably not in the spirit of W30 is it?  Think about it - your taste buds don't know the difference between a natural sugar, and artificial sugar, or some chemical that tastes sweet - they're all feeding your sugar dragon.  part of the w30 thing is to tame the sugar dragon so that you don't automatically reach for sweet things.  You're not going to get used to the plain, boring, natural, chemical free taste of water, if you're always drinking sweetened liquids.

If you haven't already guessed - I reckon the answer is 'no' probably both in technical (it's got added sugar in the ingredients list) and spirit (it's sweet!) of the rules.

Archived