Need a break from animal protein

envee

Day 8 of Whole30 and so far, completely compliant. All is going well and I don't have any big cravings just yet. However, I can't face the thought of more animal protein today. Or even tomorrow. 

Some background: I was raised as a vegetarian, though my parents let me eat what I want (they just didn't cook meat). I experimented for a while and found I preferred vegetarian food. But then about six years back (I am 34), I went into meat again and enjoyed it a lot more. Prefer protein with texture like rare steaks, sashimi. Don't like mince, chicken breast etc. 

I am struggling with animal protein everyday. Can I skip it? Can I just eat vegetables on a day if I can't deal with it? 

Right now, the thought of any animal protein is making me feel ill. Eggs/ fish/ chicken/ anything. Is it okay to skip animal protein for two meals of the day and just keep it to one? I genuinely don't mind eating vegetables - I quite love them. I feel energetic. Happy. But lunchtime I just felt ill looking at the protein choices. It's really making this hard for me. 

Ok, the meal template is a recommendation, not a rule, and so if you eat only compliant foods for 30 days in whatever way, shape or form you please, you're technically still doing a Whole30.

Following the rules AND the recommendations will get you the absolute optimum results.

I'm not saying you must eat animal protein. Nor am I saying it's okay not to.

That's about as fluffy as I get.  ;)

• Moderators

What you are experiencing is not unusual, and it will pass. While you can technically complete your Whole30 by eating animal protein just once a day, we do not recommend that, just as we advise against eating fruit and larabars for every meal. The hard truth is it won't give you the results sticking to the Meal Template will. Also, you're going to be very hungry and need to make up that deficit by adding more fat and veggies.

How about a soup full of veggies made with compliant chicken or beef broth at the very least? Melissa Joulwan's recipe for zucchini soup is a great Meal 1 option.

You can do this!

Archived